*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

2800#!?

Okay, forget what I said about weight distribution as this will not be needing it in the case of the truck you have bought. You are actually going to have a much easier time on the learning curve with this camper. It is similar to the R-Pod which is what my neighbors have, and interestingly enough, are in the process of trying to sell. I have pulled their camper for them before with my dad's 2003 GMC 1500 and it had no trouble pulling or stopping and they actually back and maneuver very easily.

They pulled it the last 2 years with a 2005 Expedition, again, with no difficulty.

Yeah... lol. Around 2800 lbs, maybe a little bit less. My Escape is rated to pull up to 3500 lbs, so I needed something my Escape could pull. And plus, so far, it's just me going on my new future adventures. Possibly my mom while I'm learning things. My dad isn't allowed to teach me things - especially when it involves cars and driving - it just ends up in an arguing match. :D

But then... a whole two or three days later... the beautiful F150 came along, and I think I made my grandpa laugh when mentioning the truck should pull my new trailer just fine.

My mom specifically had me look for a truck with the 5.4L engine. My parents used to have an Expedition; they used it to pull the motorcycle trailer they have. The Expedition didn't necessarily have problems pulling the motorcycle trailer, even when full of my stuff for college, but my parents' still wished the Expedition had the 5.4L engine so it would have had an easier time. My mom knew even without the 5.4L engine, others options for the F150 would likely pull the Winnie Drop just fine. But might as well get something that would even have an easier time, especially if it will likely just be used for pulling a trailer or trips to Lowes.

Congrats and welcome to RVing. And don't worry about anyone giving you grief about it. You're going camping at the Fort!

Cute little trailer. It should be perfect for 1 person. It is about the same size as my first trailer, a Starcraft hybrid. Nearly the same size and weight. I pulled it all over with an Explorer. One comment about the weight. It looks like the dry weight is about 2800. Your weight with your "stuff" in it will probably be closer to the max weight of 3500. Either way, your truck will do fine.

As for which brake controller. The Prodigy has been the long term standard. It is pretty much a set and forget. I use to have a cheaper Tekonsha that you had to set the gain and the level. It never seemed to be quite right. And they are pretty easy to install. If your mom watched a video and thought it looked ok, she'll do fine.

One question. How come you went with the 170K and the bunks and not one of the floor plans with the queen bed?

j

My first truck was an F-150. When I bought it (new), I was very clear that I wanted to tow our TT (Max weight about 7,500 pounds) and that I wanted the truck to have a towing package INCLUDING a brake controller. Well long story short, while they insisted it had a brake controller, the guy I took delivery from was telling me all I needed to do was put this "Relay" in to the slot inside the fuse box and I was all set. When I questioned where the controller was (as I was looking for the one with settings to adjust the controller), he told me it was integrated into the system. Still a bit confused but thinking maybe technology has improved this where they are now "Auto Sensing"..... I left with my new truck. After reading through the manual, I quickly realized, that I still needed the controller.

Anyway, I bought one (I really don't remember which one) but it was so simple to install. There was a wiring harness built into truck where I just had to take a piece of trim off to get to it, wrap under the dash to where I installed the controller (with velcro because I didn't want to drill holes into the trim anywhere). It worked like a charm and took me less than an hour to do everything.

You could get by without a brake controller and it will work, but I wouldn't want to. Not having one will put more strain on your tow vehicle. Also, because your max of your escape is around 3500 and the new TT is a dry weight of 2800, it won't take long to get the 700 pounds of "STUFF" in your new Winnie, especially when you consider the Propane, Water, Food, Dishes, clothes, etc.... It adds up quick. Plus, my rule of thumb is to keep the towing at least 10% below the capacity of the Tow Vehicle. So that would be a towing of 3150 max with the Escape. (You can tow at or even above max, but it's much harder on the vehicle and not near as safe).

A Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) would also help especially with "Sway" at highway speeds, but that one is light enough it shouldn't give you too much problem. If you can use it though, I think again, you would be better off, but not necessary (Especially since they aren't cheap)

My last bit of advice (this post) is to take a test run of the Winne locally. That way you can see what you need or don't need. Even if there is no place locally to go, you can "Camp" at your house. Just try to avoid going into the house. That way you can see what you need for a typical trip. (Towels, TP, Food, Pots/Pans, spices, linens, etc...)

Welcome to RV'ing. I am sure you will have a blast. Bring on more of the "Silly" questions.... As you can tell, we are not swayed by them. :)

Tabby,

Weird posts are usually the best. Tell us more about what you bought. What model of Winny? That will let us know what other fun things you may want besides a brake controller. For example, if it's a bigger trailer, you will probably want/need a weight distribution hitch and sway control. These make towing a trailer much nicer. And for bigger trailers, safer.

Are you brand new to RVing or have you been doing this for awhile and decided to make the plunge for a truck and trailer?

As for a brake controller, Ford has been putting integrated brake controllers in their trucks with the tow package for a while. I know my 2008 F250 and my current F350 have them. If you have one from the factory, it will look like this:
2010_f150_8.JPG

It's just to the right of the steering column, above where your knee would hit the dash. If you don't have one, the dealer where you bought your trailer can install one. A decent brake controller is about $100 or so plus installation, but you will find some as cheap as $35 online.

j

On my Chevy 3500 The integrated controller is on the left side of the steering column, close to the door. Have whacked my knee off it before getting in and out.

I'm almost certain unless it was added her truck will not have a brake controller. The good news is it is easy to add. The wiring harness is probably there and she will have to buy a controller and have it installed. Hopefully she already has the 7 way plug and it's fully wired with power for the brakes. I have a 2004 and used a Weight Distribution Hitch with my Keystone Bullet bumper pull. Tabbytrekker have you ever towed a camper ? Do you know how to use the trailer brake properly when going down hills and such to keep from loosing control of the trailer ? If not you're gonna need some training. You'll have to learn everything quickly to have a safe experience. Other than that I love going camping.

I am using the Weight distribution hitch to pull my Keystone Bullet also, even though with the 3500 dually I really don't need it. Was a carry over from my 1500 and see no harm in it.

One question. How come you went with the 170K and the bunks and not one of the floor plans with the queen bed?

I went with the 170K for a couple of reasons.

The RV show I went two had three models of the Winnie Drop to look at. The 170K was the last one. The other two I think were the WD170S and I think the WD1710. They were nice, but I didn't really like the set up/organization of the other two; something just felt off. It may have been that I already fell in love with the 170K online so I was a bit biased toward the other two. :cutie:

Second reason, the 170K was the second lightest of the four options.

Third, I'm actually only five feet tall. :) So... I can likely sleep in the bottom bunk quite comfortably without having to convert the dinette table.

But also, I was sort of thinking of the future. Right now it is most likely just me traveling, but who knows what the future may hold! :) I might be able to drag a friend or two along for some trip. Or maybe someday I could get a dog to travel with - then the dog could use the bunk bed. (I have two cats currently - one gets car sick and the other is terrified to be in cars - so I'm not going to torture them...) Maybe someday I'll get married... and have a kid or two...

So I liked that the 170K could gave me options for the future.

My last bit of advice (this post) is to take a test run of the Winne locally. That way you can see what you need or don't need. Even if there is no place locally to go, you can "Camp" at your house. Just try to avoid going into the house. That way you can see what you need for a typical trip. (Towels, TP, Food, Pots/Pans, spices, linens, etc...)

Yep! Already have small plans. :) A friend of mine who I've known since I was 12 has already requested that we "camp" in the driveway - like we used to do as kids. I'll also likely go to a state park or two with the trailer for practice this summer.

On my Chevy 3500 The integrated controller is on the left side of the steering column, close to the door. Have whacked my knee off it before getting in and out.

I remember my dad complaining a lot about hitting his knee on the brake controller in our old van that pulled the pop-up camper.

I am using the Weight distribution hitch to pull my Keystone Bullet also, even though with the 3500 dually I really don't need it. Was a carry over from my 1500 and see no harm in it.

I have no idea what this weight distribution hitch thing is but I will add it to my list to google!

I did some googling research last night about brake controllers... and it sounds like the proportional is better than time-delayed. So far... that's all I've learned. But its a start!

So the Weight distribution hitch helps to "Even the Load" and as the name implies, it distributes the weight more evenly. Additionally many (if not all) have a "Sway Control"

weight_dist4.jpg

In the image above you can see 2 bars on the right side of the hitch (bottom of the picture). The rounder one on the bottom has a mirror bar on the other side. This is a key component to the WDH. It helps to shift the weight more evenly to the truck and help to keep the whole system "Level". The Sway control bar is essentially a "Brake" in that there is a part of the bar on the hitch (Silverish in the image) and a part connected to the trailer (black side). Then there is a crank that can tighten or loosen it. The sliding part (silverish) will go in and out, but is ristricted by how tight it's cranked down. The materials to "Resist" this in and out movement are very similar to a brake pad and brake disc. They will only move in and out (mostly) if the trailer is trying to Pivot. This will happen when you turn or if the trailer wants to sway back and forth. Obviously the sway is what we are trying to avoid. When turning however, it takes more force so it will move and allow the turning. Also you should be aware at slow speeds, it WILL make noise (annoying noise too.) I tend to take the sway bar off (or at least loosen it) while parking the TT so as not to be too annoying.

Again, with the size of your unit, it's not necessary but it is a bit more comfortable towing. Just be warned.... They tend to be HEAVY. I think my WDH weighs about 70 pounds, that doesn't include the leveling bars or the sway control. :)

A good article about the WDH can be found at http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1602-five-things-you-need-to-know-about-a-weight-distributing-hitch/

Paul has a great picture and description of the weight distribution hitch. Short answer for "What does it do?". It takes some of the weight that would be sitting on the ball and transfers that weight to the front axle on the truck AND the axle on the trailer. While it does this magic, it also ties the truck and trailer together more as a single unit.

My 2nd TT was 33 ft long and weighted about 7500 lbs. I towed it with an F250 that was rated to pull up to 13,600 lbs. Without the WD hitch, the truck squatted, maybe, 2 inches. Not enough to worry about. The truck towed it really well, but you noticed the length, especially in the wind. With the WD hitch "snapped up", the Truck had no squat and it felt much more stable. Like joined as 1 unit instead of a truck pulling a long trailer.

Thanks Chris. One more reason not to buy a Chevy. :D

I went with the 170K for a couple of reasons.

But also, I was sort of thinking of the future. Right now it is most likely just me traveling, but who knows what the future may hold! :) I might be able to drag a friend along for some trip.
That was my thought when I saw the bunks. We brings friends along on most trips. (That's a little easier being 42 ft long, having 2 bedrooms and 415 sq ft of living space- who needs a tiny house) Sometimes it is better to have bunks for the "friend", some friends the queen would be more fun. :-)

j

Thank you!! It was a very helpful read!

That was my thought when I saw the bunks. We brings friends along on most trips. (That's a little easier being 42 ft long, having 2 bedrooms and 415 sq ft of living space- who needs a tiny house) Sometimes it is better to have bunks for the "friend", some friends the queen would be more fun.

I agree. ;)

My .02 cents. The thing that most freaked me out when we bought our first TT was every time a tractor trailer went by, the push & pull that happens. It made us sway for a bit. The lighter the TT the more sway. I'd definitely get a no sway bar.

My .02 cents. The thing that most freaked me out when we bought our first TT was every time a tractor trailer went by, the push & pull that happens. It made us sway for a bit. The lighter the TT the more sway. I'd definitely get a no sway bar.

Okay, thank you! I was having a conversation earlier this morning with someone along this topic. In my mind, since its a lighter trailer, it should sway more because it seems like it would be easier to sway. But I kept being reassured that isn't the case. I was told swaying has more to do with the vehicle pulling the trailer, than it does the weight of the trailer.

Okay, thank you! I was having a conversation earlier this morning with someone along this topic. In my mind, since its a lighter trailer, it should sway more because it seems like it would be easier to sway. But I kept being reassured that isn't the case. I was told swaying has more to do with the vehicle pulling the trailer, than it does the weight of the trailer.

That is true to a point. The lighter a trailer is the more air from passing vehicles, pushes the trailer away and then sucks it back toward the object passing. Owning a trailer one becomes more familiar with airflow over vehicles both their own and others on the road. A lot of people learn it and really don't think about it much.
Nothing to be afraid of, just something to be aware is going to happen. Happens to all of us that tow, big or small.

Indeed.... Just don't tell the DW! (or DH what ever your case may be. :rolleyes:)

haha... I don't have either. ;) Although I'm certainly in the market for a DH! Probably should find a boyfriend first too. Preferably one that can drive a truck and pull a trailer. :flower1:

That sounds terrifying! But I guess I'll get use to it?
Not terrifying. Think of a slight push and pull. You feel wind gusts more. I don't think you will notice it much with the F150. The trailer is small enough and the truck wheelbase is big enough to stabilize the push/pull you would get.

Now that you know it occurs, when you feel it, you won't be surprised. You'll think, "I knew that was going to happen"

j

In regards to the whole "push and pull" while traveling and passing larger vehicles. It has as much to do with the vehicle as it does the trailer. For instance, my current camper is a 35 foot bumper pull. Initially I started off pulling it with a 2003 F250, 2WD crew cab. When passing and being passed you had to counter steer to make up for the affects of the wind currents on the truck and trailer. Now I have a 2012 F-250 4x4 crew cab. Same truck, but different weight and height off the ground. Now I have no effects when passing larger vehicles, none at all. I was really surprised at the difference. I think with your truck and that trailer you will probably have some effects, but they should not be dramatic and you'll adapt fast and begin to anticipate it thus making it not a big deal.

2016 Toyota Tundra double cab pulling a 2014 Cougar 5th wheel.....upgraded tires, brakes, and air bags no problem towing 18.5 single 11 towing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter