Trip Report-Aloha Paradise (trip in progress - LIVE - planning to back home)

blessed2BaMama

Earning My Ears
6 DAYS TO DEPARTURE:

Tuesday Oct. 4: It’s hard to believe that in only 6 sleeps we will be on the plane headed to Hawaii! I wanted to give everyone a pre-trip report so that you will know us a bit before the actual journey begins! We are a family of 4- Me (Amy 48), DH (53), Sons N(12) and D(17) and we have NEVER been to Hawaii!

This whole dream vacation began in a Chick Fil A parking lot in the first week of May!

On Monday May 2, I picked up my son D (17) from a rehearsal at church. It wad been a busy season for him. He is on the worship team and they had a concert coming up. He had been there every day the previous week and had played at church the day before (Sunday) from 6am-7pm. Anyway, Monday night, we left church at 6, stopped at the Chick Fil A drive thru at 6:15 and were going to eat in the car before I was to take him to a high school guys Bible study at 7pm. He seemed really down and announced that he not going to the group because he was too tired. I pushed too hard for him to go, giving all the reasons it was best for him, (not realizing how exhausted he was from rehearsals) and he just got really frustrated and upset…This was an uncommon reaction for him…Any mom with high schoolers knows that point when your “big kid” melts and just needs that mothering like you’d do when he was little.

I changed tactics and changed subjects to de-stress the mood in the car. Hoping for a fun conversation, I asked, “D, summer is coming…if you could go anywhere on earth for a vacation, where would it be?” …expecting to hear Alaska or New York City (his favorite vacation we’ve taken so far). He thought a while and said “I have always dreamed of Hawaii- Aulani”.

And guess what? As DVC owners, on April 29th we had just banked lots of points (our first time ever banking points) for use after September…which gave us more than enough points for this vacation. I told him we’d go home and check availability. We found a 2BR Ocean View villa for 9 nights within the hour! It was a possibility but we’d need to talk with his dad and brother as this was BIG (financially and time required for DH to take vacation). I talked to DH and he agreed this would be great, so the next day we booked it! Hawaii here we come!!

All summer long I asked my questions here and faithfully have read (and still do daily) EVERY post on EVERY thread on EVERY page of this Aulani board – I recommend doing this because many times the initial topic title might not seem like what you need but then a post many posts further down will give you great ideas. I kept a notebook with a page per topic and took notes on anything I learned. I have lots of categories- beaches, hotel info, things to bring from home, Costco and shopping tips, excursions, hikes, restaurants (arranged by location) and many more…

So here we are- 6 days to departure…Alamo rental car booked thru Costco Travel, many hotel dining reservations made, all but one excursion reserved (so far we have reserved Pearl Harbor, a dolphin swim, a shark cage dive, FiaFia Luau, Kualoa Premier Movie Tour, Auntys (Fish are Friends, Coconut Kings and Queens and something else I forgot) and are waiting for our Go Oahu cards to be emailed so I can reserve the Polynesian Cultural Center. Our crew will enjoy the beach and pool activities but we are very active and plan to be out and about too!

Here is my “hard stuff” I am still fretting over…

· I am far behind on ironing so packing cannot be started

· the house isn’t ready to go on vacation (I like for it to be really clean so coming home won’t be such a letdown)

· we are still waiting on the GO Oahu confirmation # to be emailed from Costco, order placed last night at 11pm EST so it should come today

· D (DS 17) has rehearsals for student worship event in late October (2000 kids come so the team is busy getting ready)... they had a Make A Wish child fly in and come to church yesterday whose wish to meet the worship team (she loves their albums) so that was a fun/busy/emotional event for him

· N (DS 12) has 3 soccer games – One last night, one tonight (Tuesday) and another Friday and we are praying for no injuries

· Hurricane Matthew is predicted to pass near NC- it shouldn’t affect us inland but as we leave on Monday, we hope the flights wont backup over the weekend…

· Gotta arrange for my parents to feed the outdoor cat (haven’t asked them yet) and then I must take indoor kitten to the boarding place on Saturday.

· And I homeschool both sons!

I bet you are already bored but I wanted to introduce myself and will update this as we get closer to travel and during and after the trip! Aloha!! Amy (off to do a load of laundry)

WOOHOOO! You guys will have an awesome time. I know EXACTLY what you mean about coming home to a clean house, I do the same thing so that I if I HAVE to come home at least it is to a clean home! Happy packing...

Hi Blessed2BaMama:

Yes, the week before you leave is always a whirlwind!
much
We are leaving in mid-December for a couple of weeks. We have reasons NOT to spend Christmas at home this year, so we thought Oahu would be the perfect place to spend the holidays. I, like you, have been scouring this board to get some great info about what's available, and it sounds like we've approached it in much the same way.

Good luck getting those last-minute things done, including making arrangements for the cats. I have an elderly cat that I am very concerned about leaving, but again, we need to get away at Christmas this year, so we are working on a plan for her.

Looking forward to reading your trip report and hearing about all your adventures!

I'm sorry, this part does not compute? Ironing?

*grin,

I don't have a trip planned, but I definitely can relate to reading and taking notes, 9 days, a Blessing indeed!

Agreed!! If you are planning on ironing anything to actually take to Aulani, immediately remove it from your packing pile!! It is casual, island attire, and you get to take an ironing vacation when you are there!!! Have a blast!

One of my college jobs was as an ironed at a dry cleaners. I used to iron my clothes every day. I no longer buy things that have to be ironed. Since I go to work as a nurse in basically pajamas, it's perfect!

How exciting! You all are going to LOVE it! I totally do the same thing and like to come home to a clean house! Plus, who wants to clean after coming home from vacation!? I would say maybe skip ironing and just iron in the room at Aulani since things will probably get wrinkled in the suitcase anyway. I avoid ironing at all costs, unless something looks terrible! I mainly lived in my bathing suit and a cover up the entire trip ;) Can't wait to read more!

I just got done ironing my 7 year olds clothes. Tomorrow night I'll iron my 5 year olds clothes. 3 weeks to go

Hi Blessed2BaMama! I can relate to a lot of your post. We've been planning our Aulani trip for 15 months and now we're under 2 weeks away and I'm completely overwhelmed! Like you, I've read almost every thread here, made lists and more lists, already started packing, made sure to get my house cleaned and decorated for Harvest so we can come home to a nice & neat environment, etc. I also homeschool my children. However, where we differ is I don't iron. Ever. I fluff things in the dryer. Lol.

I'm wondering if you already got your tickets for the movie ranch tour. I was on top of things and booked everything on the first available date/time (Pearl Harbor, Aunty's, cabana, character breakfast, Ama Ama at sunset etc.), but I neglected to book the tour. Hoping I'm not too late for that because my oldest is a huge Godzilla/Jurassic Park fan. And if you don't mind telling me, I'm wondering who you booked the tour through?

I'm also wondering what it's going to be like without the Starlit Hui. I'm so disappointed about this. Since we planned our trip last summer, I've been looking forward to it. And sadly, the Aulani luau you pay for doesn't start until next month. :(

Do your sons plan on doing Aunty's and/or the teen club? I'm wondering about that because my middle daughter will turn 12 on the day we arrive there, but I'm afraid that Aunty's might be too "young" for her, but at least she'll be with her little sister. I'm more worried about my 13 yr old daughter in the teen club alone. If your older son does that, will you please let me know what it's like?

Looking forward to hearing details about your trip. I think you leave tomorrow. Aloha!

Departure Day!!
As I write this, we are on the plane to Salt Lake City- waiting for takeoff!! Luggage all packed last night and I actually finished by midnight and could sleep 4 hours! The house is decorated for harvest, ironing never got done (it wasn't for trip, it was for real life...so it can wait!! Hawaii is calling!) We brought an extra suitcase for souvenirs! With Hurricane Matthew, we got rain and cooler weather but our area was inland so that's all we got...it's cold here, 50degrees! I'll update you soon!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 16
Hope you've arrived in paradise!! We all look forward to your first live report!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter