Traveling overseas..... best way to carry documents?

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
I have scanned all of my documents - tickets, hotel confirmations, passports and itineraries- and have them on my iPad. I feel strange not having hard copies of everything (obviously we have our passports). Is this wise?

I have scanned all of my documents - tickets, hotel confirmations, passports and itineraries- and have them on my iPad. I feel strange not having hard copies of everything (obviously we have our passports). Is this wise?

That's great but just bring the originals just in case. Things happen. What happens if someone steals your Pad?

I would typically overdo it because you never know when electronics might fail on you. I especially did that when my phone battery was iffy and it could jump from reporting 50% battery life left to 5% in an instant.

I typically "print to PDF" for all of my documents and save them in a folder for each trip. Then I'll email to myself to have a copy anywhere I can get internet access. And of course print them out - and multiple copies if it's my boarding passes. Once I actually left one of my boarding pass copies at work and I had my backup ready so I didn't waste time looking up my confirmation number and then printing out at the airport.

One of the things I'd do occasionally is just copy all my confirmation codes, addresses, etc. to one sheet of paper and carry it in a neck pouch designed for passports and cash. I'd carried that multiple places, including when I went backpacking where I had photocopies of the trail map and where I kept my backpacking permit.

And of course the thing to do is have copies of your passport in case you lose it. Photocopies will be a ticket to an embassy or consulate where you can get emergency replacements.

Not a chance I'd go without paper copies of everything, even though DH always has all the tickets, reservations, etc. sent to his phone. Those "code thingies" often don't work at the airport kiosks off his phone screen but they almost always do on paper.

Recently got back from Europe and although I had e docs I also carried my hard copies. Used the hard copies more than the e docs. Didn't always have good connections so glad I had my hard copies. I usually keep them in chronological order of when I will use them. I keep them in a plastic file folder. I keep my passport in a RFID protected travel wallet.

MJ

Recently got back from Europe and although I had e docs I also carried my hard copies. Used the hard copies more than the e docs. Didn't always have good connections so glad I had my hard copies. I usually keep them in chronological order of when I will use them. I keep them in a plastic file folder. I keep my passport in a RFID protected travel wallet.

MJ

Well - I don't think the idea was necessarily that the document copies were necessarily in a form that required internet access, but in something like PDF documents that could be accessed as long as the device is working. For example, I can access my Delta Airlines boarding passes on their iPhone app, but that requires active internet and the ability to contact their server. However, while i have internet access I can also send a virtual boarding pass to Apple's Wallet app (formerly Passbook) and can access that form of my boarding passes without internet access.

Even in that case devices can have all sorts of issues like batteries running out or other technical issues. And frankly tablets can be stolen, lost, damaged, etc. Paper doesn't require batteries and there's not a whole lot of incentive to steal someone's travel itinerary given that photo ID is typically required.

MJ

Im European and been travelling to USA regually over the last 15 years and this is what I do too.

I have all the email confirmations saved but I print out every thing and put them in order. I keep them in a large plastic envelope which I store in an IPad case. I keep this in my carry on handbag when travelling and then put it in the hotel room safe.

Having the documents in order means that I can quickly and easily find the right document when needed. When I travel I turn off data roaming and so rely on free WiFi connections. Many times the Wifi does not connect, so I need to use the print outs. For example, on my recent trip to LA I had booked Supershuttle from LAX to my Anaheim hotel. My phone would not connect to the airport Wifi so I needed the print out email for the Supershuttle checkin.

Also as I have a very European name, alot of the time USA people cant spell my name when looking for my reservation on their system, so its easier just to show the printed out confirmation email. Sometimes my name has been misspelled, this happens alot when I make telephone bookings, so showing the hard copy print out saves alot of time.

I agree on having a hard copy of all documents printed out and handy. If you're traveling with your passport, make a color copy of the page with your photo, passport #, etc., and store that separately from your passport. You'll probably never need it, but better safe that sorry.

For those of you storing electronic copies, make sure your device is encrypted ..while loosing control of an e copy (device gets stolen) is not as big as a deal as the real thing, it can definitely aid in stealing your identity.

For those of you storing electronic copies, make sure your device is encrypted ..while loosing control of an e copy (device gets stolen) is not as big as a deal as the real thing, it can definitely aid in stealing your identity.

Agreed. If your photos are all stored in the cloud, they are theoretically vulnerable. And if your device goes missing, at the very least have your device password protected.

We went to Italy last month. I brought extra paper copies of our passports, because I'd heard to use them for ID. We never did, but it was the TA's recommendation. We also left copies at home with DH. In addition, we brought extra passport photos. Plus a letter for my minor DD, saying that her dad knew she was traveling abroad with her mother (didn't need that either).

I have to say, I prefer having everything on paper. OTOH, DD22 is very comfortable having everything on her phone. Maybe I'm just an old fogie?

All three of us used cross-body bags for the trip. Normally I carry a purse, but we felt this was safer. I got ones that were RFID protected and had a zipper lock, along with other safety features. DD22 had the identical bag (different color), while DD14 had a hot-pink leather cross-body that I got in the thrift store for $1.50. DD14 wasn't going to be carrying much more than a few euro, so less protection was needed. I also brought a money belt, but never used it. I only carried enough cash for the day at any given time.

I brought a credit card on the trip, but it's not one I typically use. That was so, if it got lost or stolen, it wouldn't mess up my automatic things, online paying, etc.--I would just have to cancel that one, rarely-used card. I called them and my regular bank before I left, letting them know of my travel plans (I also had my debit card with me). Keep in mind, if you make an ATM withdrawal in Europe, it'll be in euros (naturally). If your daily ATM limit is $300, you can only get 250 euros a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter