Travel Channel Special

larworth

DIS Veteran
Hope everyone got a chance to watch it last night.

A nice historical WDW overview, and some great shots of the parks. Thought the travel experts and Disney talking heads did a good job talking about how special WDW is without coming off as pompous. It was nice to see the imagineers and operations people be the stars of the show. A couple of short Eisner clips and yes he did get some props about the "Disney Decade". Now that I think about it wonder why Pressler's mug was nowhere to be found?

Not really any backstage secrets. At least they didn’t waste time with how many pounds of french fries they sell in a year and I no blatant attempts to sell merchandise (I guess this proves Pressler must have been on vacation that week). Couple of comments I found interesting.

MK: How they assumed early WDW would be an older crowd and were surprised when it was a similar demographic as DL. They repeatedly talked about the early lack of thrill rides, and thrill rides definitely were a major focus of attention throughout the program. Have to assume this was an intentional PR move.

EPCOT: The burden of trying to be educational. Sounded as if they really felt handcuffed by Walt’s legacy and the real uncertainty about what to do next once it was complete.

MGM: Didn't realize MGM grew out of a pavillion initally intended for EPCOT. How skimpy MGM was when it first opened. Tony Baxter saying he had to beg them to start a relationship with Lucas. After they spent so much time on the ToT drop wouldn't it have been the perfect time to tease the audience about more thrills to come (allusion to the random drop program)?

Resorts: Had to cringe when one of the designers talked about Eisner’s credo about architecture. That if you build a bad building it gets seen for decades (sorry, couldn’t help but think about PC).

AK: I expected it to get more exposure. They even mentioned the "just a zoo" issue. Seemed like a good time to try and sell a different message. BTW what was that hanging from Rohde's ear?

Future: No hints. All we got were still shots of SPACE and the PW model.

Other observations?

PS In the segment that followed Screamin (at DCA) got quite a bit of airtime (pardon the pun) in the CA coaster special. A good night for Disney.

It seemed like all of the Imagineers and management types interviewed went out of their way to praise the "vision" and leadership of Eisner.

Larworth,
I agree, it was a nice historical view. I also watched it closely. It's good to see anything about WDW, good or bad.

Some observations I noticed:

MGM was planned before Universal and opened before Universal.
(According to the show, Eisner was given credit for that)

The tremendous price increase of central Fla land after it was revealed that Walt Disney was buying it. The quick scan of the local papers headlines were cool. One paper's headline listed the bogus company's name that was buying the land. Later, another paper proclaimed WD was actually buying the land.

40 million visit WDW each year.

800 million to build AK.

Here's one observations I DIDN'T see:

The camera crew waiting outside the MK at 8 am (someone forgot to tell them EE were canceled)

:D

I really enjoyed the program and would have welcomed a two or three hour version as they seemed to cover alot of territory but not as in depth as I would have liked. I did leanr some new things, most which were mentioned above. I thought there would be more behind the scenes stuff like with the ToT. Did anyone else notice one of the shots of Dumbo was actually from Disneyland as you could see "iasw" through the trees in the backgorund and I could have sworn one quick shot of Big Thubder mountain was the one in Disneyland Paris!

I enjoyed it as well... but a couple of things made me go "yeah right." Like the whole praising Walt's vision and the great outlook for the future yadda yadda yadda.... with Pressler in charge... Walt's vision has nothing to do with the future of Disney. The bottom line is the only thing that counts... I also would have liked to see more on Animal Kingdom. They zipped right by Dinotopia.... they must be embarassed of it. I would be. And did anyone watch the show about Coasters afterward? Disney must be paying the travel channel a lot of money or something cuz they spent like 10 whole minutes talking about California Screamin'. Nice coaster, but compared to others in the west.... it's really nothing new or too thrilling for that matter. They did give a nice 5 min. segment on the Matterhorn though. Ah the good old days... back when Disney was actually inventing new technology.... One thing in the DW special that gave me a little hope was that they talked about the fear in the early 80's with corporate take overs and whatnot that Disney would fall apart, but it made a nice comeback. Maybe it could happen again? Wishful thinking maybe... but you never know the power of the magic....

Hi

I live in the UK and we dont recieve the US Travel Channel, even with cable. I was wondering if anyone taped this special and if they could make me a copy?

Please email me if its possible

Thanks in advance

I thought I read somewhere that Disney owns the Travel Channel. If not, does anyone know who owns them? They have shown several shows that looked favorabley at Universal and Sea World.

Discovery Communications is privately held. John Hendricks owns the lion's share (I believe) Cox Communications and Liberty Media have interests. Disney's not in the picture at all (as far as I know.)

Does anyone know the title of this program and whether it will be repeated?

According to the Travel Channel Website:

"Travel Channel Secrets: Walt Disney World Resort, Behind the Scenes" will air at:

6/3/02 9pm EDT

6/4/02 Midnight

6/8/02 4pm EDT

Hope this helps!

Alsipd---Where did you find on the Travel Channel when the episode would air in the future? I missed the Great Hotels episode of The Grand Floridian and couldn't figure out how to determine when it would be on again. Please let me know.

Two things that caught my ear:

Imagineer (Chao?) stating how land has already been set aside for future hotels and Theme Parks!

Also Walt saying E.P.C.O.T. stood for Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow. I had always heard it stated "Community."

I did a search on the Travel Channel for "Great Hotels" and found this information:

June 17 3:00 pm EDT Great Hotels -Disney's Grand Floridian - Orlando

June 19 11:30 am EDT Great Hotels -Disney's Grand Floridian - Orlando

June 25 11:30 am EDT Great Hotels -Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge- Orlando

June 27 3:00 pm EDT Great Hotels -Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge- Orlando

I will watch for anything else

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter