• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Trailwalking in the HKDL area

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Ok this is a bit of a weird question, but bear with me!

On our next visit to HKDL, I will be in the middle of a training program for Oxfam Trailwalker (100k over the space of about 24-30 hours). My training that weekend is supposed to be about a 25k walk. I think I can get away with slightly less than that, because then I will be spending the rest of the day walking around the park ;)

So my question is, is there anywhere I can put together a 15-20k walk in or around the resort area? I can't really tell on Google Maps where there are footpaths and where there aren't any. I know there's some awesome looking hiking close by in the mountains that I could take a taxi to, but being as I will be on my own (and I will be starting at 5am, seems as though it will still be dark then!), I'd rather not go too far into the wilderness.

I have managed to put together about a 10k circuit based on the paths that I know exist (taking in the waterfront area of both hotels, the promenade area past DL and to the carparks, over to Inspiration Lake, and back to the Hollywood Hotel along the road via the HKDL Hotel). Worst case, I can just do 2 loops of that. But just thought I'd see if anyone had any better suggestions.

I know recent visit footpaths were in short supply around the resort other than what you have mentioned and remember the waterfront area might be closed off still which means not being able to reach the waterfront from Hollywood but only from Disneyland Hotel (but does make for a longer walk up to DL Hotel, down along waterfront, turn round and back to DL hotel). Alternative train to Tung Chung via Sunny Bay and walk along the waterfront on the trail towards Tai O if it is light by then? (rather than mountain paths). I found quite a bit of info on that when I was looking up hikes (none of which I ended up doing - lol!) Ditto train to Sunny Bay and bus to Discovery Bay and hike over the hill to Mui Wo (via the Monastery) and back but again needs to be done so it is daylight by time you reach D Bay. Have you looked at Everytrail blog site or hikehongkong.blogsite for inspiration or advice.

Thanks Wendy!

I've found a great trail (well, 2 combined) that I really want to do - Tung Chung to Mui Wo via the Olympic Trail (about 11k), then on to Discovery Bay via the Monastery (another 4.5k). These seem to be well marked and popular trails, so hopefully I wouldn't be able to get into too much trouble, and there would be other people on the trail to render assistance if required.

The main issue is still the daylight situation. I've looked up sunrise times for HK that day, and the sun isn't supposed to rise until 6:40am! Being closer to 15k than 20k will probably mean it will take me closer to 3 hours than 4, so I can probably get away with starting at 6am as opposed to 5am, but it will still be pretty dark when I start out. Having said that, the first 4k is pretty much just urban path along the Tung Chung waterfront, so maybe there would be decent lighting there. Any idea what personal safety is like at that time of the morning just before the sun officially rises?

At that time of year it shouldn't be too hot - I could definitely go later in the day, and make sure it's light when I start. I'm just trying to be a crazy person and still make it to DL for rope drop. Having said that, I am assuming that it will be opening at 10am, but I'm not sure if they open earlier on weekends? Maybe I will miss it anyway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter