touring monorail resorts

I completely get that people ruin it for the rest of us by cheating BUT I feel like, esp since the all mighty dollar seems to be the only thing that matters, that they could have like a shopping pass. Like give people 1 or 2 hours on a pass and then if you are still there after that time you get towed. I know that logistically that could be an issue but I know a LOT of people like to go to other resorts to shop, eat or look around. I mean we always stay offsite but we have seriously wanted to check out other resorts to see if we would like to stay there. It seems like they could figure out a compromise. I hate that the few ruin it for the many. The people that cheat and try and park etc ruin it for those of us that legitimately just want to go and check it out.
I actually think they used to approach it this way - years ago we often got a '3-hr parking pass' for shopping or food without an ADR - but those became something people ignored, too. And now since no one who parks at the resort needs to identify their car with a parking pass on their dash, it's got to be almost impossible to enforce. And they need to be sure there's parking at the resort for the guests of the resort - especially since they now charge most guests for the privilege of parking.

I completely get that people ruin it for the rest of us by cheating BUT I feel like, esp since the all mighty dollar seems to be the only thing that matters, that they could have like a shopping pass. Like give people 1 or 2 hours on a pass and then if you are still there after that time you get towed. I know that logistically that could be an issue but I know a LOT of people like to go to other resorts to shop, eat or look around. I mean we always stay offsite but we have seriously wanted to check out other resorts to see if we would like to stay there. It seems like they could figure out a compromise. I hate that the few ruin it for the many. The people that cheat and try and park etc ruin it for those of us that legitimately just want to go and check it out.
Remember that resort guests now pay $25/day at deluxe resorts (e.g. the monorail resorts as well as others) to park their cars in the resort lot where they're staying. Guests not staying at the resort or having an ADR at the resort are welcome to pay $25 to park at the TTC or a park near the resorts they wish to visit and then take Disney transportation to those resorts.

Remember that resort guests now pay $25/day at deluxe resorts (e.g. the monorail resorts as well as others) to park their cars in the resort lot where they're staying. Guests not staying at the resort or having an ADR at the resort are welcome to pay $25 to park at the TTC or a park near the resorts they wish to visit and then take Disney transportation to those resorts.
I do know that but going to the TTC and relying on Disney transportation may be fine if you are just going to one but if you want to visit more than one it was quite the ordeal to do that. I know that every time we visit a resort we end up buying something. We either eat there or buy stuff at the gift shop. They want people to stay at their resorts but if you can't even go there to check it out it seems counter productive. I get it but I feel like everything else they are getting cheap

I think the reason why people on the boards don't recommend breaking Disney's parking policy is simply that the potential repercussions are far greater than the benefit.

More on topic, you may already know this but if you're doing the MK monorail loop make sure it is not during the first two hours of park open or park close. Way more people on the monorail and you may be packed like sardines. I personally think the boats are more pleasant and have shorter wait times, but I definitely understand the monorail ride as being part of the classic Disney Experience.

The way the system's set up, basically, ADR = no problem. If you have an ADR, they're going to let you in to park. If you don't, "just looking around," then the guards have to use discretion.

I got in to AKV for Sanaa takeout recently without an ADR, at the Mrs.'s urging. I didn't think we'd get in but I happened to be wearing my Buckeyes shirt, it was a gameday, and the guard mentioned "oh, are you with these people that just came to check in? Whole bunch of people from Ohio" I explained no, but what we were trying to do, but he must have been feeling nice because he let us in anyway. Then I ended up chatting with a guy at the Sanaa lounge who was also an alum! So it all worked out :smooth:

A few days after that, we had a Whispering Canyon ADR. We arrived pretty early for our reservation, no issues, poked around Wilderness Lodge and the gift shop for a bit until it was time. Afterwards we hung out in the lobby for a bit, saw some Country Bears characters, took the boat to MK, could have toured any monorail resort we wanted to. There's no shortage of parking at the Lodge from what I could tell (tons of spots! Poly is always full for our Poly ADRs, and even AKL can be hard to park at), so I'd think even if you were hours early for Whispering Canyon they'd still let you in, and you could take it from there.

I got in to AKV for Sanaa takeout recently without an ADR, at the Mrs.'s urging. I didn't think we'd get in but I happened to be wearing my Buckeyes shirt, it was a gameday, and the guard mentioned "oh, are you with these people that just came to check in? Whole bunch of people from Ohio" I explained no, but what we were trying to do, but he must have been feeling nice because he let us in anyway. Then I ended up chatting with a guy at the Sanaa lounge who was also an alum! So it all worked out :smooth:
If I were the guard, I might have turned away a Buckeyes shirt even if you did have an ADR!!!

Found it interesting the last couple trips to AKL that they have that sign at the guard shack stating no entry without a room or dining reservation. Glad you could at least slip in for some Sanaa-To-Go, though.

Never used to have a sign like that at AKL - parking there must've become a bigger issue.

There are a limited number of parking spaces at Disney resorts. Lots would quickly fill up with those trying to 'game' the parking fees when actually planning to go to a theme park if Disney let everyone do that. IF you arrive on Disney transportation (i.e. bus/monorail/boat/cable car) there is NO restriction on where you can go or how long you stay.

I’m not surprised they were more lax. With due respect AKL is still a bit of distance from AK so you absolutely don’t get people trying to game the system over there to the extent you do at the monorail resorts. Anywhere within walking distance of a park is going to be stricter with enforcement, BWI and YC/BC are the same way. It’s why people tell rideshares to drop them off at the gas station for HS rope drop (or Swolphin). But parking can be a nightmare at the monorail resorts even with the strict enforcement, especially at the Poly which has very popular dining and a smallish lot to begin with. One of the reasons I‘ve never bothered with a car when staying at those resorts.

If the guard lets us in, then why would I want to pay or go to TTC? Just because other people may not do this, that's fine but if the guard 'who actually works there' lets us in then there is absolutely no issues. That also goes for if the guard says 'no' and does not let us park, this happened at the camp grounds and they told us to park at WL and walk or take transportation back to the camp grounds. We have been going for 18 years, with 40+ trips and I go by 'our' experience and not by others or others opinion. We will probably be back in March, and yes, we plan on driving to other resorts on one of our non-park days. Also, I have never been worried about being towed. Do people actually think someone is patrolling the parking lots comparing license plates to the guest list:confused:

If the guard lets us in, then why would I want to pay or go to TTC? Just because other people may not do this, that's fine but if the guard 'who actually works there' lets us in then there is absolutely no issues. That also goes for if the guard says 'no' and does not let us park, this happened at the camp grounds and they told us to park at WL and walk or take transportation back to the camp grounds. We have been going for 18 years, with 40+ trips and I go by 'our' experience and not by others or others opinion. We will probably be back in March, and yes, we plan on driving to other resorts on one of our non-park days. Also, I have never been worried about being towed. Do people actually think someone is patrolling the parking lots comparing license plates to the guest list:confused:
I understand your view, and you're right, personal experience is a factor in your view. As long as you're prepared to be turned away at certain guard stations and have a Plan B if it doesn't work out, there's certainly no harm. But it does seem since they've started charging for the resort parking, the guards have gotten a bit tighter at almost all the resorts giving up those spaces to folks without reservations. But if it's a lighter capacity day at Poly or AKL (for example) and you want to do some shopping or counter service eating, it doesn't hurt to ask!

Do people actually think someone is patrolling the parking lots comparing license plates to the guest list
Yes. They absolutely do this.
I understand your view, and you're right, personal experience is a factor in your view. As long as you're prepared to be turned away at certain guard stations and have a Plan B if it doesn't work out, there's certainly no harm.
It seems a bit unfair to put the guard in that position; to ask for something that you know you aren't supposed to be allowed to do and make someone else tell you "no."

I’m not surprised they were more lax. With due respect AKL is still a bit of distance from AK so you absolutely don’t get people trying to game the system over there to the extent you do at the monorail resorts. Anywhere within walking distance of a park is going to be stricter with enforcement, BWI and YC/BC are the same way. It’s why people tell rideshares to drop them off at the gas station for HS rope drop (or Swolphin). But parking can be a nightmare at the monorail resorts even with the strict enforcement, especially at the Poly which has very popular dining and a smallish lot to begin with. One of the reasons I‘ve never bothered with a car when staying at those resorts.
You're absolutely right that there's an inverse relationship between the size of a resort parking lot and their scrutiny of who they let in.

Monorail resorts have tiny lots (Contemporary being the worst, Polynesian, then GF) that fill up fast for ADRs (Poly, Contemporary). BC/YC is tiny too, so it's not just the Epcot proximity but the lot size. They have an entire overflow parking lot across the road just to cover off guest / convention center needs. Most resorts ask not just for ADR but to see your ID now, and BC is the one where they actually looked at my ID and checked it against the ADR, rather than just a quick flash.

AKL parking can definitely fill up though. I've had trouble finding a spot before for a Boma reservation! For a Sanaa reservation, the spots under the villas (vs. the outdoor ones) can fill up pretty well too. It's not the tiniest lot by any means, but between popular dining spots and a lot of rooms (mix DVC & cash stay) it does make sense to me that they control it.

Plus, for so many reasons, wouldn't it make much more sense if the policy was consistent across the Disney resorts? No room or dining reservation, no parking. It would be easier to enforce and less confusing.

We had a similar ID/ADR check and confirmation at Riviera last week - she checked both to verify.

People definitely get towed; I have seen it happen at the Polynesian on the 4th of July. What everyone has to understand there are rules in place, but the guard also has the ability to not enforce them if the resort is not sold out. Certain times of the year they will be stricter, and holidays are especially more restrictive.

Bioreconstruct posted a new photo of the site of the Polynesian DVC tower. Idk where Poly goes from here, because there’s not going to be room for additional parking that I can see?

I wonder what the first resort will be to get a parking garage? (Other than Kidani, in a way…)

there’s not going to be room for additional parking that I can see
The site plan shown HERE shows parking in front, along Floridian Way. Hopefully will be large enough for that building, as long as parking is restricted to people with resort or dining reservations in that specific building.

The site plan shown HERE shows parking in front, along Floridian Way. Hopefully will be large enough for that building, as long as parking is restricted to people with resort or dining reservations in that specific building.
Interesting, so they'll be filling in that little detention pond on the NE side of Floridian Way... and it still only looks like 100-ish parking spots?

Looks like the small parking lot will remain separate from the Wedding Pavilion parking, as there's only so much of that, and the Grand Floridian Spa.

IDK, but I can see a day where DIS just makes everyone park at TTC and then take DIS transportation or Uber to where they're going. For those of us who drive vs. fly, and/or stay offsite, there really does seem to be very little parking close to these desirable dining reservation locations, but a ton of it a short monorail hop away at TTC...

IDK, but I can see a day where DIS just makes everyone park at TTC and then take DIS transportation or Uber to where they're going. For those of us who drive
No likely as you are not allowed to have luggage on Disney transportation with the only exception for the Minnie Vans.

They will have parking but expect strict parking regulations. The actual building is going to be pushed right up to the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Here is the building plan that shows an average size parking area just for the new DVC building.

Dave

Attachments

• permit-polynesian-villas-dvc-tower-disney-world.jpg
    permit-polynesian-villas-dvc-tower-disney-world.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 7
Interesting, so they'll be filling in that little detention pond on the NE side of Floridian Way... and it still only looks like 100-ish parking spots?

Looks like the small parking lot will remain separate from the Wedding Pavilion parking, as there's only so much of that, and the Grand Floridian Spa.

IDK, but I can see a day where DIS just makes everyone park at TTC and then take DIS transportation or Uber to where they're going. For those of us who drive vs. fly, and/or stay offsite, there really does seem to be very little parking close to these desirable dining reservation locations, but a ton of it a short monorail hop away at TTC...
The article I linked says about 120 parking spots, so I guess just adequate for projected numbers of guests who will have reason to park there.

An interesting thing to me is that the plans in that article show the name of Floridian Way as "World Drive Phase 3," making me wonder what other changes they have in the long-range plans and how soon they expect to implement them.

2 questions...

1. If we are staying off site and don't have a car but want to check out all the holiday decorations on say Saturday, where is the best place for the Uber driver to drop us off at?

2. If we have a MK park reservation, where is the best place for the Uber driver to drop us off at (and pick us up at)? The park closes at 11pm that night.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter