Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Hey Carrie - here and reading, but mostly in lurkish stealth mode. About the only DIS time I squeeze in seems to be when I'm reading on my phone in the breakroom.

Great report so far. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Kudos to Patrick again on his photo skills. His time with the Roots has definitely paid off!

So Carrie, did you feel really tall there? I always imagine that Japanese people are quite short in general. Did you find them very polite too? I know you can't generalise whole population but you can get a feel for trends :goodvibes
I am 5 feet 5 inches and many people were taller than I was. Now my sorority sister who I was visiting who is 5 feet 11 inches and wears heels, she was taller than most.

Loving the report, I would so love to go but do you think I would be limited to what I could eat as I don't eat fish or seafood? I would hate to get there and have to eat McDonalds 3 times a day :crazy2:

There are plenty of other things to eat in Japan than fish. Yaki soba or Yaki Udon, also there are many chicken and beef dishes too. And if you get tired of McDonalds, you can always get a bucket of chicken at the KFC. Takarazuka where I stayed, had KFC, McDonalds, and Baskin Robbins.

So Carrie, did you feel really tall there? I always imagine that Japanese people are quite short in general. Did you find them very polite too? I know you can't generalise whole population but you can get a feel for trends :goodvibes

DD is 5' 11" tall with long blond hair.....you can bet she stood out in every way!!
she said they couldn't stop staring at her.....though they tried not to, but it's kind of hard to do when someone who looks so completely different is towering over everyone else...

but she LOVED japan and the japanese....she was only there for 3 weeks, but fell in total love...
i was so relieved....i was worried she would hate it after she'd heard me saying how great it is all her life....that she would be disappointed...
but she wasn't at all....she loved it as much as i do... :goodvibes

Looks like your trip was off to a great start. :yay: I was just like you on my first night in Tokyo, its so hard to believe you are finally there. Dreaming about it for years and its finally here. Its a lot to take in all at once. :)
popcorn::Looking forward to reading more.popcorn::

Love the update on page 3! :goodvibes Patrick is such a gentleman to ride with you. Your hotel looks really swanky by Japanese standards! How fun to be having sushi in Tokyo! Can't wait to read more.

An exciting start! I get giddy with delight at airports (as I am weird). The whole place just feels like it's vibrating with potential. Thanks for all the airport pics. Perhaps I will snap some during the Paris trip? I think I shall.

I cannot wait to see all the stuff you guys get up too. DH will surely bankrupt us the moment he steps foot in Japan (which is why we are doing Paris this year)! Thank you for doing these alternating (tandem?) TRs. I needz ma fix!

just found your trip report. i've read all of your adventures and have really enjoyed them. i don't comment much but just wanted to say that i feel like i've experienced your trips with you. thanks for sharing with us.

Loving this so far!! Thanks for the pics and great writing!!

Love "I can see Russia......" You are too funny. Great pictures of your hotel room, with the weird bathroom window and toilet.

After reading this (and the other) TR, I am struck by a few things:

1) I am completely impressed with your ability to write two TRs simultaneously. I am thoroughly intimidated at the thought of writing ONE, and here you are churning out reports like buttah! I am humbled, my friend.:worship:
2) I am also in awe of your trip planning prowess. Finding out which banks don't charge international transaction fees, getting a brand new credit card and checking account up, running, and accessible in under 2 weeks? There really needs to be some kind of award for that. Until one is invented, here you go: :wishgoal
3) I got that "I can't believe I'm really in Tokyo!" feeling when I looked at that picture of your view! If *I* can get that butterfly-in-the-belly feeling just from looking at the picture, I can't imagine how you felt. Were you exhilarated? Scared crapless? A little bit of both? I think I would be some of both. I have a major desire to travel abroad, but also that "Brokedown Palace" fear in the back of my mind.

Great TR! Anxiously awaiting more! :laundy: (This is what I do while I anxiously await)

What a great thread. I'm just starting to plan a trip for July/August and I'm so I found this!!! Thank you so much for posting!:worship:

Okay, I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports, but I tend to be a lurker. I will pop out to say that my DH and I are thinking about taking a trip to Japan next year, so I really can't wait to read all about your trip!

hi, just another question...off to tdl tomm!
does miracosta have internet access...we have a laptop we would like to be able to use
thanks and looking forward to reading more!

Subscribing! You've helped me so much in planning my wedding (I not only incessantly stalk you on the wedding boards, but bought the book too!)- now you can help me plan my future trip to Tokyo (FYI - this is in fact an imaginary trip that at this point only exists in the far reaches of my brain).

I love it! And I think imaginary trips are a great place to start - that's how I learned so much about WDW, by reading and planning and plotting to get there for 6 years before I actually did!

Yea, can't wait to read along.

Thank you so much for the detailed travel information. Hopefully I'll be able to use it next year. And I am soooo happy PassPorter is coming out with a Tokyo guide because lord knows the Internet is pretty dry when it comes to TDL info!

Yeah, it's so frustrating how little English-language info there is on TDL. I think that's another thing that made the trip seem like such an unattainable goal for me, so I'm hoping the PassPorter remedies that for others.

Great post!! It is so fun to get the sense of a place through the writing and photos of other people! That airport looks huge! The hotel nice! Sushi, great! The blue swirly icecream... well....not so much.

Yeah, Patrick says it tasted "sharp" but he can't remember what flavor it was. :lmao:

Thats so cool that they have a 7-eleven in the hotel. When the boss went undercover for the company he said they had some oversees but I never really thought they did.

Believe it! I became a huge 7 Eleven fan in Tokyo...

Me too!!!

Oh good, it's not just me!

So Carrie, did you feel really tall there? I always imagine that Japanese people are quite short in general. Did you find them very polite too? I know you can't generalise whole population but you can get a feel for trends

I apparently have no concept of how tall I am, cuz I didn't really notice til I was complaining about a crowd and DH made me hunch down a little to see how much worse it would be if I were the same height as the crowd! :rotfl: And yes, I s'pose it's a generality, but everyone in the service industries was super-polite. Regular people walking down the street were a different story... some polite, some not, just like in any city, I s'pose.

Loving the report, I would so love to go but do you think I would be limited to what I could eat as I don't eat fish or seafood? I would hate to get there and have to eat McDonalds 3 times a day :crazy2:

No - I don't think you have to worry about this. I was sensitive to it cuz one of my friends can't eat seafood either and I want her to go. There is plenty of pork cutlet, and chicken, and then lots of egg-related dishes, so I think you can get by fine without eating seafood.

Hey Carrie - here and reading, but mostly in lurkish stealth mode. About the only DIS time I squeeze in seems to be when I'm reading on my phone in the breakroom.

Great report so far. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Kudos to Patrick again on his photo skills. His time with the Roots has definitely paid off!

Hey, thanks! I'll pass along the compliment. Now get back to work, youse! :rotfl2:

Great start!! WOW...that is some toilet!

We totally want one now!

but she LOVED japan and the japanese....she was only there for 3 weeks, but fell in total love...
i was so relieved....i was worried she would hate it after she'd heard me saying how great it is all her life....that she would be disappointed...
but she wasn't at all....she loved it as much as i do...

That's so good to hear! It prolly didn't hurt that everyone made such a fuss over her. :)

Looks like your trip was off to a great start. I was just like you on my first night in Tokyo, its so hard to believe you are finally there. Dreaming about it for years and its finally here. Its a lot to take in all at once.

Yes! And I just hope I never took any of it for granted.

Awesome start! Can't wait for more!!!

Coming right up!

I'm so excited to have found this! Looking forward to hearing more.

Welcome aboard!

Love the update on page 3! Patrick is such a gentleman to ride with you. Your hotel looks really swanky by Japanese standards! How fun to be having sushi in Tokyo! Can't wait to read more.

That Patrick... he's a keeper! And yeah, I didn't realize til later just how swanky our hotel was. We really lucked out!

An exciting start! I get giddy with delight at airports (as I am weird). The whole place just feels like it's vibrating with potential. Thanks for all the airport pics.

I know exactly what you mean! It's that same feeling that made my mom want to become a flight attendant.

just found your trip report. i've read all of your adventures and have really enjoyed them. i don't comment much but just wanted to say that i feel like i've experienced your trips with you. thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for leaving a note! I love lurkers... I used to be one myself!

Loving this so far!! Thanks for the pics and great writing!!

Great to see you over here! :wave2:

Love "I can see Russia......" You are too funny.

Yeah, I stole Patrick's zinger for that one... :teeth:

After reading this (and the other) TR, I am struck by a few things:

1) I am completely impressed with your ability to write two TRs simultaneously. I am thoroughly intimidated at the thought of writing ONE, and here you are churning out reports like buttah! I am humbled, my friend.
2) I am also in awe of your trip planning prowess. Finding out which banks don't charge international transaction fees, getting a brand new credit card and checking account up, running, and accessible in under 2 weeks? There really needs to be some kind of award for that. Until one is invented, here you go

You are so sweet! I think it's the travel author in me who needs to jam these things full of every step of every process. I just figure it might save someone else all the work!

Were you exhilarated? Scared crapless? A little bit of both? I think I would be some of both. I have a major desire to travel abroad, but also that "Brokedown Palace" fear in the back of my mind.

:rotfl: I think mostly I was exhilarated. I was just so excited about finally seeing and doing everything I'd read about in the book, and it turned out to be so easy to get around that I never worried about being lost.

What a great thread. I'm just starting to plan a trip for July/August and I'm so I found this!!! Thank you so much for posting!

Oooh! You get to go to TDL - how exciting! I hope there's something helpful in here for ya.

joining in......I can't wait to read your trippie.

Welcome! :flower3:

Okay, I've always enjoyed reading your trip reports, but I tend to be a lurker. I will pop out to say that my DH and I are thinking about taking a trip to Japan next year, so I really can't wait to read all about your trip!

Thanks for popping out of lurkdom! I hope you decide to go next year - I think you will love it!

Joining in! Can't wait for the rest...

Hi there! OK, some more is headed your way...

hi, just another question...off to tdl tomm!
does miracosta have internet access...we have a laptop we would like to be able to use
thanks and looking forward to reading more!

Yes! It's not Wifi, but they have an ethernet cable for you. The message on the screen will make it sound like you only get free access for 24 hours, but then you just get another 24 hours the next day.

On our first full day in Tokyo, I foolishly decided that Patrick should take the camera to the set with him because I didn’t want to lug it all over town. Which means that most of the photos I have for this day’s report are crappy iPhone pix. Sorry! Fortunately I had the camera with me the rest of the time.

We woke up pretty early and decided to get up and go looking for breakfast. Unfortunately, the only place open at 6am was McDonald’s. We figured at least we’d get to try their crazy Japanese food but found only Egg McMuffins on the menu.

This could be a McDonald’s breakfast anywhere!
DSC00555.jpg

The one difference was that the hashbrowns were amazing – light and crispy and greaseless. I guess that’s only to be expected in the country that invented tempura!

We sat upstairs at a counter under a window with a great view. From there, we spotted our first “secret” Japanese ad by an American star—a coffee vending machine with a giant picture of a bored-looking Tommy Lee Jones.

DSC00556.jpg

It makes you wonder if he was the inspiration for Bill Murray’s character in Lost In Translation. Later I saw him in a TV ad for Boss coffee, speaking Japanese! Spotting endorsements by American stars who never shill anything in the States became one of our favorite pastimes.

After breakfast we went back to the room and Patrick fixed up one of the puppets while I read one of my guidebooks and fell back asleep for about an hour. We also took a couple more pix of the hotel room, such as this prize-winning shot of the closet.

I guess I wanted to show the room’s only storage space?
DSC00559.jpg

The toiletry collection was pretty impressive, if somewhat random (elastic headbands seem to be a big deal over there, cuz we got one in every room!). I read somewhere that the Japanese don’t travel with toiletries and that hotels supply everything you might need. This doesn’t really work if you’re a beauty-product, um, hooker like I am, but you could prolly get by if you were a guy.

DSC00557.jpg

Another Japanese invention (I assume) that I thought was quite nifty – your hotel room key card activates the lights. You keep it in this tray while you’re in the room, and then when you leave and take it with you, all the lights automatically go out. The only problem is that it’s quite easy to forget to take your key with you when you leave!

DSC00558.jpg

Right before Patrick had to leave for the shoot, we grabbed a bite to eat at 7 Eleven (where I discovered these delicious crabby-eggy rice thingies – mmmm!) and ate it on a bench outside the hotel. I know, I know – we just ate! But we both found that all we wanted to do those first few days was eat every single food product we saw.

DSC00560.jpg

We were there almost three weeks, but I never did get the hang of opening the elaborately wrapped onigiri (rice trangles stuffed with meat or veggie filling and wrapped in seaweed). The wrappers have all these arrows and numbers all over them… I don’t know what I was doing wrong!

Goofus

DSC00561.jpg

Gallant

DSC00562.jpg

After lunch, Patrick went off to the studio with the camera. Until the ad debuts on April 20, the only photos I can show you from the set are these:

Craft services snack basket

DSC00563.jpg

Apparently each group at the shoot got one of these – the puppeteers, the execs, the crew. But only the puppeteers’ basket was perpetually left empty and spinning…

Patrick spots a freshly refilled snack basket

DSC00567.jpg

I decided I’d spend the day checking out all the fabulous shopping areas I was interested in, since that was something Patrick wouldn’t be as interested in and wouldn’t feel left out of.

I went across the street to the subway station and bought my PASMO subway pass at the office because I was intimidated by the machines. I needn’t have worried – I used them the next day to buy Patrick’s pass and had no trouble. I forgot to put a little description of these in my intro, and it’s one of the best tips I learned for our trip, so here ya go:

PASMO/Suica: These prepaid fare cards can be used on virtually all subways, railways, and buses in Tokyo, public and private, including the Disney Resort Monorail line, and they are also accepted as a form of payment by many merchants in and around train stations. Instead of having to figure out what ticket you need for each journey (and then use the fare adjustment machines at the end of your trip if you didn’t pay enough), you charge the card up like a gift card and then just swipe it over the reader at the turnstiles on your way in and out of the station. The turnstiles also display the amount remaining on the card as you walk by.

There are two brands of these cards—PAMSO and Suica—but they are interchangeable. You can use them anywhere either of them is accepted. The one you buy basically just depends on which brand is sold at the station where you’re buying the card. When you buy the it, you are charged a ¥500 refundable deposit, which you can get back at any PASMO/Suica machine at the end of your trip. You can recharge the card at the same kind of machine, which is found next to the ticket machines at the station. One thing to note: You can only buy and recharge these cards with cash—for some reason, the machines don’t accept credit cards, and you can’t even use credit if you buy them from an agent at the station office. You have a choice of buying an anonymous card or linking your name and info to the card. If you do the latter, you can easily replace the card if it is lost or stolen (for a small fee – but you retain the stored value on the card).

So I bought my PASMO and picked up an English language subway map. Then I took the subway to Tokyo Midtown, a newish office/mall/hotel complex that’s prolly the most beautiful mall I’ve ever seen. And I have no pictures for you, except of the art installation out front.

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

However, I’ve put together a gallery of images on Flickr – check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85907592@N00/galleries/72157623884512556/

And here’s a heisted Flickr pic from user TokyoViews
Midtown-TokyoViewsdotcom.jpg

My first stop was Muji, a housewares store that was my absolute favorite place to shop when I lived in London. No pictures here either (there’s one in the Flickr set) but basically they specialize in well designed, well priced basics and sell everything from clothes and beauty products to office supplies and cleaning products. Now that good design has become more widely available in the States, my reaction to Muji this time was kinda like, “…So what was my big deal with this place?”

Tokyo Midtown is also jam-packed with these gorgeous, jewel box-like confectioners – patisseries, chocolatiers, and fabulous bread bakeries. They seem to love their French food in Tokyo. Almost all of the shops had signs on the display cases that said “No Photography,” but I found a shot from Flickr user chaxiubao for ya, and there’s a picture of one of the most beautiful patisseries in my Flickr set.

TokyoMidtownPatisserie.jpg

Until a few weeks ago, Tokyo Midtown was home to the tallest *building* in Tokyo (the tallest *structure* being Tokyo Tower – apparently there’s a difference), Midtown Tower. While we were in town, both were surpassed by a new skyscraper, Tokyo Sky Tree, which will actually be nearly twice as tall as Tokyo Tower when it’s done. Crazy! I briefly considered going up to the restaurant in the Ritz inside Midtown Tower to see the view, but I didn’t want to have to pay $40 for tea. Plus, Patrick woulda killed me if I’d gone without him!

Next I hoofed it over to Roppongi Hills, another glamorous mall complex and home to Tokyo City View (10th – no wait, 11th now…? – tallest building in Tokyo, for those of you playing along at home). One of its most famous sites is the ginormous spider sculpture, called Maman.

I couldn’t get one good shot of it, so I’ll give you two bad ones…

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

And I thought somebody might be interested in this…

IMG_3662.jpg

Maybe I was starting to get mall-ed out, but I was kinda underwhelmed—it’s more about monolithic slabs of concrete and labyrinthine levels and half levels that make it impossible to get anyplace that looks fun to explore.

Thank you Flikr user peter_r
RoppongiHillspeterr.jpg

I took a break in the lobby of the Hyatt to read my guidebook. I was bored and tired, so I decided to catch the subway to Ginza and go looking for a place mentioned in the book, 100% Chocolate Café. What could be bad? When I got up, a guy ran after me waving the bookmark I dropped, which made me love Tokyo even more.

So this is when I learned never to exit the subway without looking at the map and figuring out where I’d end up. When I got out there, everything looked the same, and nothing looked like the map in my book. I was wandering around, neck craned, mouth agape, guidebook clutched to my chest, when a stranger walked up to me and asked if I needed help – just like the guidebook said would happen! I pointed to 100% Chocolate Café in my book, and he motioned for me to follow him around the corner and right up to it. Fabulous!

IMG_3663.jpg

The cafe is very chic and very tiny. I figured out later that it’s owned by Meiji, which is sort of the Néstle of Japan, and is like the flagship boutique for their chocolate division.

IMG_3666.jpg

The back wall is lined with cases containing tubs of the various different kinds of chocolate they make—which may or may not have been real. Japan is the birthplace of the fake food display, after all…

IMG_3667.jpg

They sell 56 varieties of chocolate bar, but they only have about three things on their menu! I guess I thought it would be, like, the Cheesecake Factory of chocolate. I got a small slice of cake with whipped chocolate frosting, which was OK. However, the hot chocolate was the best I’ve ever had (made from melted chocolate, not powder), and frankly it was just fun to be there, in 100% Chocolate Cafe.

IMG_3665.jpg

My Japanese wasn’t good enough to learn any of this from the girls at the counter, but I later read on the Internets that the chocolates are numbered in a particular order. 1–22 are single-bean chocolate from the cacao of one country. 23 and 24 are bitter chocolate with small pieces of cacao beans. 24–28 use different kinds of sweeteners (I tried the maple one), while 26–36 are the variations of milk. 37–51 are variations of flavors including fruits and herbs (they gave me a sample of lavender, and yep! It tasted like lavender!) 52–54 are the “healthy” ones, and 55 and 56 are the historical flavors. I liked the one from 1926!

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter