To skip or not to skip... Hollywood Studios with a toddler

The last time we were there at HS it was rather disappointing. We hit ever ride we wanted and all activities and were done by like 2 in the afternoon. It made for a nice relaxing evening but I felt some pain from pocket book. I believe we would of had much more fun in magic kingdom for a second run through.

But you know your child best so do what you think is best.

Well, I'm planning on doing it with my toddler, but not because I think there's a whole bunch of things for her to do there. I mean...it's not just her vacation.

Well, I'm planning on doing it with my toddler, but not because I think there's a whole bunch of things for her to do there. I mean...it's not just her vacation.

Don't get me wrong HS is typically my favorite park! I love the shops and most of my favorite rides are located, like the Tower of terror, Star Wars and many more. Plus I love pretty much all the shows. I guess our timing was just bad because when we went last year they had just started the Frozen sing along, which was a hot mess... and i felt like for 100 bucks a ticket, i should be able to get more then 6 5 hours of entertainment .

DHS is my least favorite park, and if you are there for a short trip, I'd skip it. But if you have the time, there's certainly lots of fun things for toddlers there. How old is the toddler? There is a big difference between a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

She will be 3 when we go. She's definately a kiddo who will sit and watch shows.

I personally don't skip DHS (it's my favorite nonMK park)
I am purposely going there with my toddler (turning 3 during the trip). We even went there for a brief time (2-3 hours park-hop) last trip JUST to see the Frozen show and watch Jedi Training (while my wife and I went on Star Tours). (He also enjoyed seeing the Fantasmic fireworks simply from the parking lot as we left).

But, he is a boy .. and I consider DHS a "boy" park. He loves Toy Story and probably will like Star Wars (lightsabers are cool to any little boy!). I figure he'll like the shows too .. big explosions of Indiana Jones .. cars running about in the Stunt show .. and I am excited for him to see all the characters like Jake and the Pixar characters. I personally think we'll run out of time to do everything we want :)

For a girl? I think there is still stuff to do.

Are you going during the summer? The Frozen Summer celebration may be worth it alone for a young girl.
Does your daughter like Doc McStuffins? How about Little Mermaid? How about Beauty and the Beast? Does she sit still during tv shows? Then chances are she'll sit still during live shows ..

Just avoid Great Movie Ride (may be too scary) and Tower of Terror (or even going NEAR it at night).

DHS for our family is a must do (especially now that DD is brave enough for RNRC). I have used 2 different strategies with DHS for short trips - it is either our first day or last day park. Last day because by then DHS is the right size and the right amount of rides/shows to be able to move at a little slower pace and still have a great day. We do on our first day because of the lack of rides. I know we are in the minority with not doing MK first, but to me (especially with younger kids/first trips) after MK, the rest of the parks combined don't have the rides, and I learned from experience that when a kid was at MK yesterday and it was all about the rides, then you go to a park with the handful, there is a let down.

The Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground is GREAT for that age. Even if they've never seen the movie, they'll recognized the large, colorful objects. And it's just a great way for them to run around and expend some energy! When my guys were little, they could spend a lot of time there. The Muppet 3D show is also a lot of fun! Again, even if she's not familiar with the Muppets, it's a funny show. Those are just a couple things that are often overlooked.

I'm a huge AK fan. The ambiance and details of the park are amazing. I know folks compare it to a zoo, but it's so much better than that.

The ambiance is why I would rather do 2 days at AK and none at HS. I just don't like the feel of HS, it feel so real-world that I don't relax as well there. All the plants and themeing at AK makes me really feel like I am someplace spacial. I feel the same way at MK and Epcot. HS just feels blah to me, like it could be anywhere.

Don't skip it. Look at the list of attractions on the Disney website. There is plenty to hold the attention of little ones.

We took DS when he was 3 and he loved it. We did the Disney Jr breakfast and just took it easy that day. We got there at RD and ended up leaving around 2 for an afternoon at the pool and movie at the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter