To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

That right there is honestly amazing. It is so inspiring to see someone take on a big challenge, and that training schedule you followed is definitely a big challenge!

Thanks! I really do appreciate it. It was a lot of fun. I enjoy running so it never seemed like "something I had to do" but always "something I wanted to do" because I know the only way I'll get to where I set those lofty goals is to keep pushing myself strategically. I guess I should have added one more item (and will go back and add it):

Number of workouts I didn't want to do: 0

Thanks!

Surprised (or maybe I missed them) that the challenging bicycle girl and water bottle mystery didn't make your training summary post...

:cool2:

No offense to treadmill guy making the cut, but bicycle girl WILL be the X-factor that pushes you in this weekend's marathon!

princess::moped: <== couldn't find a princess on a bike

Oh, that's a for sure. I'll remember the "Vroom, Vroom" for a VERY long time. I went back and added streamer girl and water bottles to the summary post. Thanks again!

2016 Lakefront Marathon Training Plan

Well it's been a week off since the last training cycle ended with the culmination of the Wisconsin Marathon. Overall, the training cycle and marathon itself were successful. But, now it's time to focus ahead and look at the next phase of the training plan. When I mapped out my progress over a year ago it was with the goal to make it to a BQ level (sub-3 hr) by Fall 2017. I felt to meet that I needed to hit sub 4 in Fall 2015, Sub 3:30 in Spring 2016, and Sub 3:15 in Fall 2016. So here we are after meeting the first two thresholds we come to meeting a sub 3:15 in Fall.

I've chosen to run the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. Originally, the plan was to run Chicago, but financially it didn't make sense this year. I ran Lakefront last year and enjoyed almost everything about it. Obviously having ideal conditions last year helped color my feelings on the race, but overall it's a perfect time of year, slightly downhill course, and mid-size race (about 4,000 marathoners). It's essentially everything I'm looking for. So without further ado, let's look at the most aggressive training plan I've ever put together.

Training Paces

As always I feel that choosing the right training paces is absolutely key in making sure you reap all the benefits of the workouts, but at the same time minimizing your risk of injury. I choose to train at where I am, not necessarily where I want to be. I choose this method because it allows for gains through my training while minimizing the risk. If I trained faster than I could reap more benefits but I'd also increase my chance for injury to a much higher rate. I could train slower and reduce my injury risk even lower, but that would in turn also reduce my benefits. The key is how to choose paces for my current fitness level. In the past, I've always run what I call a fitness test race about 5-6 weeks prior to my event at about half the distance. This would be a gauge not only for the upcoming race, but also for where my training paces might be most appropriate for the next training cycle. Well, I didn't run a fitness test race this past cycle. My other options are:

1) What I felt comfortable at during training
2) My last race results
3) Some other mixture of comfortable and race results

1) During training I was comfortable at 7:42 for what I believed to be equivalent to a marathon effort. So before the WI Marathon I knew that whatever my time was from the race my new minimum would be a 7:42 MP.
2) My WI Marathon race results ended up being 3:28:35 (7:58 min/mile).
3) The big caveat to my marathon results I believe was the headwind from mile 19-26. So, I've decided that the results from mile 1-19 are most representative of my current fitness level for a marathon. Thus, my training paces will be based on a 7:33 marathon pace or a marathon time goal of 3:17:49.

I plugged 7:33 into my training paces calculator and received the following training paces.

View attachment 168417

I choose the multiplier line of 3:15 because that's the closest line to my time goal. Then I inputted my marathon tempo, and it spits out my training paces from my easy paces to my speed paces.

Training Plan

Once I have my paces, then it's a matter of figuring out what to do on each day from now until the marathon. The goals of developing the training plan remain the same as before. Even though this will be my most aggressive training plan, it still follows my rules.

1) 80% Easy and 20% Hard. Hard is defined as anything at Marathon Pace or faster.
2) Periodization. Spend about 7-8 weeks in any phase before moving on to the next. This is the point where you've maximized gains in that phase and continuing to do the same workouts wont be as helpful.
3) Keep the longest run's mileage to 30% or less of the week's total mileage

All of these are done in an effort to keep the training plan balanced. Balance the mileage throughout the week. Balance the amount of easy work and hard work. Balance when you're working on a specific muscle system.

I've broken the plan into phases:

A) Recovery
B) Speed
C) Marathon Focused

Each phase serves a different purpose all in an effort to get me in the best shape possible for my marathon.

View attachment 168419

The dates show the weeks. The number above hard is the weeks remaining until the Lakefront Marathon. The number in yellow is the total weekly mileage. The percentage in red is that percent of mileage from the week's longest run. Lastly, the easy and hard split shows the percentage breakdown.

So, as you know I'm currently taking two weeks off since the Wisconsin Marathon. I do this to allow my body to make a full recovery from the absolute beating it took in the last training cycle and race. After two weeks, I'll start training again (5/21/16). But I won't just jump right into the training plan. I still need another two weeks minimum of easy pacing to get my body back into training shape. Thus, I'll keep the workouts under 60 minutes for another two weeks. When I hit the week of 5/30/16, I'll start to add back in some "Something of Substance" (SOS) workouts. Mileage wise you can see I go from 10 to 34 to 43, but this isn't a concern because it's kept mostly easy and because my body is accustomed to mileage like this. There is no 10% added mileage rule when it comes to coming back right after a previous cycle.

View attachment 168420

We move into the "Speed" section of the training plan the week of 6/6/16. I consider this the true start of the training. My goal for the first few weeks of the true training was to slowly add in the hard work and to increase the mileage in a 3-week stepwise. I also have a confounding factor of signing up for a local 10K (Hot2Trot) which will effect my training during the week of 6/13. Stepwise the mileage goes 43/48/49 and then 57/61/62. This stepwise pattern allows my body to acclimate to the higher mileage and then bump it up. Once I hit the high end of the training zone, I'll start to alternate between higher mileage and lower mileage to allow for recovery between high weeks. My goal in this section of the training plan is to slowly move all of my training runs to 90 minutes. I believe 90 minutes is that golden training time. The longest run before you don't fully recover before the next run the next day. Thus again, maximize benefits and reduce injury/recovery (notice a theme?). How the 90 minutes is reached varies by the day to keep the plan fun and interesting. I've bumped up my Tempo mileage by one mile from the last training cycle, and I've bumped up my mileage at Speed from 3 miles to 4 miles. We also meet our first green run, which will be the only runs I take in carbohydrates during the actual run itself. All other runs will be done with water.

View attachment 168421

As we hit July we start to push the boundaries past anything I've done before. The "Hyper Ladder" on 7/12 will be one of the most difficult workouts of the entire plan. The "Speed" phase ends at the beginning of August and moves into the more focused "Marathon Specific" training phase. We hit the maximum training time the week of 8/8 with a max of 2.5 hours. For these training paces, that puts me at 18 miles. I'm a strong believer that 2.5 hours is the threshold of diminishing returns for running. Running longer continues to increase benefits but at an even greater rate increases injury risk and time for recovery.

View attachment 168422

The meat and potatoes zone of training occurs here with about 8-9 weeks prior to the marathon. Long training sessions and the % of hard/easy starts to dip down below the ideal levels. The plan peaks the week of 9/5.

View attachment 168423

Yea, the Taper! The taper is about 10 days from marathon day and has a drop in mileage to about 42% of peak. The number of days running remains the same, but the intensity drops within that 10 day window because no more physical gains will be made in time for the event. Now the goal is to recover and maintain the fitness gained. And then, it'll be victory lap time again.

So here is a big summary:

View attachment 168426
View attachment 168425
View attachment 168424

Along the way I'll set new PRs in training miles/time in a week and month. I'm excited. So let's talk goals!

Goals

Hot2Trot 10K
1) Finish in the top 5
2) Age group award (30-39) in top 3
3) Finish before my BIL who is running the 5K
4) Finish with a new PR

As always my goal is to do the best I can on that day. Whatever happens, happens. But these are the things I'm looking forward to. This is a lightly attended local event. It's literally like a few blocks from my house. Last year was the first 10K year and only had 50 people. I want to race close to someone and treat this like a real race to the finish. Thus, goals 1, 2, and 4. The interesting thing is this is a semi-double loop course and the 10K starts 15 minutes prior to the 5K. Which means that if I were to run a 43 minute 10K, then I'd finish with the 28 minute 5Kers. My BIL just so happens to run a 27-28 minute 5K, so my other goal is to see if I can beat him when he's running the other event. Kind of a neat twist.

Lakefront Marathon
1) Do my best

Whatever that comes out to I'm good with that.

So that's that. I love running. It's the only way I'd be able to get through a training plan like this. But I'm actually really excited because I enjoy running everyday. I'm interested to see what happens when I push my body to the limits. :car:

Really cool recap post, I really think you're going to do well on race day!! I was reviewing your plan now that I understand it better, and I had a question about the factors you are using to set your paces. Why do the factors differ based on your current marathon times? Also where did you find those factors at?

Really cool recap post, I really think you're going to do well on race day!! I was reviewing your plan now that I understand it better, and I had a question about the factors you are using to set your paces. Why do the factors differ based on your current marathon times? Also where did you find those factors at?

Are you referring to this?

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.53.48 PM.png

This is just the Hansons Marathon Book Chart broken down into percentages related to certain distances. I did it for HM and 5K too.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.54.56 PM.png

The original Hansons pace chart is here from which I calculated the % difference from different distances.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 3.55.43 PM.png

My guess as to why the factors differ: Time is relative. So breaking them down into percentages may not work when comparing someone's paces at 16:00 min/mile vs 8:00 min/mile. A 5% increase in pace means more "real time" to the person with a 16:00 min/mile. This adjustment in the factors likely accounts for this by multiplying by slightly less and then the "real time" is closer as a whole to the percent change. I use the Hansons calculator because their philosophies are the fundamental basis of my training plan.

Every guy out there has different factors (Hansons, McMillan, Jack Daniels, Tom Schwartz, etc.) but in the end they all fall under the same "spectrum" of paces. So a few seconds here or there won't be the end all be all, but it's a great place to start.

During this training cycle I hit my max duration run of 2.5 hours on 3 separate occasions. Based on my current fitness level, this came out to 18 miles.

mm03.jpg

Watch out for this guy at the beginning! Unless you can outrun him, of course :)

I have had a few days now of waking up and going "oh no, do I have a cold" but I think it is just me being overly tired and foggy headed. Too many nights staying up later than I should (gotta fix that.) But just in case...I promise not to transmit any germs virtually to you today.

mm03.jpg

Watch out for this guy at the beginning! Unless you can outrun him, of course :)

I have had a few days now of waking up and going "oh no, do I have a cold" but I think it is just me being overly tired and foggy headed. Too many nights staying up later than I should (gotta fix that.) But just in case...I promise not to transmit any germs virtually to you today.

LOL, that's a funny one! No worries as I don't see myself going faster than a 6:00 min/mile, seeing as my mile PR is 6:42 I would be in big trouble at sub 6.

Thanks for the virtual germ free post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter