To Independence Day... And Beyond! July 2022 Exercise Challenge

+125

325/1400

:welcome:, Oneanne!

51 minutes to add. Is anyone going to attend DisCon? It's a convention the boards are putting on at WDW in October. I just got tickets to the private After Hours party they're doing at EPCOT. Was curious to know if I might have a chance to meet any of you IRL. :)

I hadn't even heard of DisCon! We're not planning on WDW any time for the next year or two, though. More focused on DLR.

60/465

Adding 15 more minutes... I'm sneaking up on this goal very slowly, but that does put me above 10%. I got a new FitBit yesterday, so that'll help me to get my daily steps in.

One of the things I try to do each WDW trip is to stop in at One Man's Dream and say "Hey" to Naked Abe. It's pretty impressive to be able to see all the mechanics.

1657205092050.png

:welcome: @Oneanne - it's nice to see you over here!

I'm getting a bit of a late start on my minutes because I was visiting my folks over the long weekend. (I probably got some fitness in helping them get ready for a move, but nothing easily countable, so I'm just going to catch up from here.) I started back on the treadmill last night and tonight, and took a walk outside with my neighbor and her dog this morning as well:

7/6 - 15 minutes
7/7 - 70 minutes

85/600

Color changes: Bethislucy, Oneanne, PollyannaMom and the TEAM are all Stars and Stripes White! sophy1996 and I have reached Amber Waves of Grain! Good job everyone!

Last time we talked about Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and how it was only a fraction of the vision that Walt had for a President themed attraction. Eventually, his vision came to life in Florida with the Hall of Presidents. The attraction opened with the rest of Magic Kingdom in 1971 and currently features all 45 presidents. Joe Biden is the first president featured since Bill Clinton years who has not made his own remarks, but simply recites the oath of office. There have been several different versions of the show over the years, focusing on different topics such as slavery and civil liberties. The current concept is The Idea of a President. An interesting note: The Hall of Presidents is the final project that imagineer Ub Iwerks worked on prior to his death.

I realized that I've not seen the Joe Biden animatronic since it switched over to him. Here's what RoboJoe looks like:
I think they captured his likeness better than with Trump, but he seems a little stiff.

33 angry, tired, messy mostly walking minutes to add. Exceptionally grumpy today. I try to keep things upbeat on here, but my life is a mess. Anyone out there that thinks they're failing - you are not alone.

196/650 - 30%
:hug:

My Best friend surprised me by coming to town for the day. It's about 4 hours of driving for them, so it's a very sweet gesture. We ended up walking about town for most of the afternoon, but I'm only counting 20 minutes...let's just say there were more than a few stops for food and drinks along the way. :rolleyes1

Which meant that this morning's run (37 minutes) was filled with aches and pains. Y'all I miss being 20 and getting up after a long day out feeling just fine. Have I shared how when I was 22 and stupid I ran a Disney half-marathon on almost no training, then went to work the next day? That girl had no idea how good she had it. :rotfl2:

253/650 - 39%

Congrats to Oneanne for reaching Amber Waves of Grain!

Today I wanted to talk about Walt Disney's patriotism on a personal level with a few bits of trivia:

In 1917, when Walt was still too young to enlist in the military, he desperately wanted to join the fight in WWI. He missed the cut by just one year, but he did serve in France with the Red Cross Ambulance Corps the year after the war ended.

In the early 1940s, Walt was chosen by President FDR to be the State Department's goodwill ambassador to South and Central America. He felt it was his patriotic duty to go, (and while there he got inspiration for several movies out of it).

He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1964, which is the highest civilian honor granted in the United States, for promoting the values and ideals of American culture through his works.

1657588974894.png
In the coming days we'll take a break from Americana in the Disney parks to take a look at Disney's portrayal of it in film!

No color changes, but our team is on the verge of Amber! Keep up the good work!

Did you know that during WWII, Walt Disney Studios was commandeered by the US military? This move, plus the loss of many employees of the Walt Disney company to the service, really hampered film production. But Walt tried to be as supportive as he could anyway, and allowed the use of Disney characters, free of charge, to be mascots for of the military and decorations for airplanes. Walt produced shorts to encourage the purchase of war bonds and support of the troops. The 1943 feature film “Victory Through Air Power” promoted the use of long range bombers to win the war and was probably the most significant contribution of Walt Disney to the war effort. It wasn't exactly a box office hit, but it did make an impression on the Allied commanders, so for that reason it was a success.
1657677655156.png

While I was looking at the topic for today, I found out that the Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA just opened an exhibit called The Walt Disney Studios and World War II. The exhibit debuted at the Walt Disney Family Museum last year and features over 550 different historical artifacts from this time in the Walt Disney Company's history.

Of course, there are some problems with the propaganda films that Disney produced during WWII, and many of those issues are outlined in this article from Smithsonian Magazine.

This period of Disney history is not one of the more popular, but I personally find it fascinating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter