• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a trip planned for Oct 9-16. Everyone in our group is vaccinated except for our 7 year old. He is very good about wearing a mask. He just grabs one whenever we leave the house and knows to put it on once we go inside anywhere. My wife and work in healthcare and are masked up all day. This was the case even prior to Covid. For us the issue is not so much having to wear a mask, or even the possible exposure to Covid as its everywhere again, but the question we are having is how well is Disney able to make sure people are following the masking rules. I am sure it must be difficult as they are still short staffed on CMs.

Can anyone chime in who has been there recently since the mask indoor rule started back up on how people are following it? I have seen some livestream video, but everything I have seen has been outside.

The two factors for us going in October vs. cancelling again and shooting for May 2022 is the above question I asked, and having a Fast Pass system of some sort in place. Not crazy about the idea of standing in line all day.

If you test positive at Disney then you’ve already been contagious for a few days and could have spread it to others.

That is absolutely true and had my grandson been positive, I'm sure he would've been spreading it before he showed symptoms. If WDW is going to be open during a pandemic, that is going to happen and there's no way to prevent it, you can only minimize your chances of spreading and others can minimize their chances of catching it. That's true even if you test positive once you're home. My point is, if you test, you know for sure and you can at least reduce the number of people you put at risk. None of the rest of us were showing any symptoms at all, yet didn't feel like going into the parks was the right thing to do as we didn't know if we were positive with no symptoms. Testing would've helped there as well.

But yes, when I first posted here about him showing symptoms I said that it was entirely possible he had been in the parks, shedding the virus without any of us knowing it. And he would've certainly not been the only one. Fortunately, with him not being vaccinated, he wore a mask the entire time he was in the parks, no matter what he was doing. When we ate, we chose places that were out of the way to have him take his mask off to eat. The minute we were aware he was sick, all park activity stopped, but I'm pretty sure not everyone would've done the same thing.

Last edited:
Can anyone chime in who has been there recently since the mask indoor rule started back up on how people are following it?
Lots of recent reports on the "Here now and just back thread". I'd recommend reading the last few pages over there.

We have a trip planned for Oct 9-16. Everyone in our group is vaccinated except for our 7 year old. He is very good about wearing a mask. He just grabs one whenever we leave the house and knows to put it on once we go inside anywhere. My wife and work in healthcare and are masked up all day. This was the case even prior to Covid. For us the issue is not so much having to wear a mask, or even the possible exposure to Covid as its everywhere again, but the question we are having is how well is Disney able to make sure people are following the masking rules. I am sure it must be difficult as they are still short staffed on CMs.

Can anyone chime in who has been there recently since the mask indoor rule started back up on how people are following it? I have seen some livestream video, but everything I have seen has been outside.

The two factors for us going in October vs. cancelling again and shooting for May 2022 is the above question I asked, and having a Fast Pass system of some sort in place. Not crazy about the idea of standing in line all day.
We’re here right now at the boardwalk, haven’t done any parks, and people have been really good about masks inside. I’ve seen lots wearing them outside too

I was only there a couple days right after indoor masks were required for all again, and from what I saw, no, they can’t force the guests to wear masks correctly. Maybe I saw less compliance because the requirement had literally just restarted and so some people may have been upset that the rules changed on them mid-trip. Some of it may just have been due to the weather/heat. Everywhere I went, I saw people with noses out or masks pulled down. Even if Disney wanted to, there are just not enough cast members to effectively ensure everyone indoors or in queues or on attractions is wearing them correctly at all times. People would put them on or pull them up when asked usually, but then pull them down when not in sight of a cast member or as soon as a ride started. Not everyone, but not just a one off occurrence either. Compliance was definitely less on outdoor queues and attractions than the ones that are completely inside. Bus compliance was poor in my opinion, but with them as packed as they were when I was there, it would have been hard for the bus driver to see who wore them correctly and who didn’t once the bus was fully loaded.

Lots of people were correctly following the rules, but plenty also weren’t, and I don’t really blame hourly cast members for not wanting to deal with the potential hostility they might receive if they confront guests for noncompliance. I wouldn’t want that to be part of my job.

I'm still 99% sure I'm going for my September trip - going to the GKTW event and staying a total of 6 nights to get in some park time as well as attending the panels. I am vaccinated and I plan on being as careful as possible with hand sanitizer, washing hands often, wearing masks indoors and outdoors if I feel uncomfortable. I live in NC and we're spiking big time. I think it's going to be everywhere. I know I'll be in close proximity WITH THOUSANDS of people but I'm trying to remain as hopeful as possible that the peak in Orlando will subside... although I realize that is probably wishful thinking.

My dh volunteered last week at GKTW. He had to show proof of vaccine. Andhad to sign a waiver. Not sure they’ll do that at the event. But just in case being your vaccine card.

My next trip isn't until November 2022 and I am hoping the Disney and the world will be back to normal (or very close to normal) as it can. But given how the pandemic safety measures has become political instead of something we all agree on. I fear we all will still be dealing with the virus well into next year sadly. I sadly haven't done any meet and greets with characters and I was going to finally work up the nerve to do it on the next trip. But I am going to stay positive and hope for the best for 2022!

We got back yesterday. We went primarily just to camp but I did need to stop off at the MK guest services and went ahead and popped in (cannot resist taking pics with the Autumn decor!). I saw a lot of us that were masked up even outside. I didn't see anyone without a mask in the shops. The strange part was I thought the policy was all indoor areas, on all transportation (I don't think that one ever dropped), all rides including outdoor ones, and in lines for an attraction even when outside., the transportation staff on the watercraft were not wearing masks...any of them. I thought it was strange. The buses were as they always have been since masking started, it was only the watercraft that I noticed cast members not masked.

We got back yesterday. We went primarily just to camp but I did need to stop off at the MK guest services and went ahead and popped in (cannot resist taking pics with the Autumn decor!). I saw a lot of us that were masked up even outside. I didn't see anyone without a mask in the shops. The strange part was I thought the policy was all indoor areas, on all transportation (I don't think that one ever dropped), all rides including outdoor ones, and in lines for an attraction even when outside., the transportation staff on the watercraft were not wearing masks...any of them. I thought it was strange. The buses were as they always have been since masking started, it was only the watercraft that I noticed cast members not masked.
I believe water transpo has been exempt this whole time due to the "outdoorsish" nature of boats?

I believe water transpo has been exempt this whole time due to the "outdoorsish" nature of boats?
We stayed at the Fort in December, when you still had to mask when anywhere outside your campsite, and I remember them being masked then...I mean everyone was. I'm guessing you are right since it's outdoors and I guess considered similar to the ferry boats? (which until just now I also thought they were required on, lol). TBH, I haven't really looked recently at all the COVID stuff that pops up on MDE thinking I already knew. I was wrong, lol.

We stayed at the Fort in December, when you still had to mask when anywhere outside your campsite, and I remember them being masked then...I mean everyone was. I'm guessing you are right since it's outdoors and I guess considered similar to the ferry boats? (which until just now I also thought they were required on, lol). TBH, I haven't really looked recently at all the COVID stuff that pops up on MDE thinking I already knew. I was wrong, lol.
Sorry - Not "always" exempt, but during the first loosening of masking guidelines, boats were exempt. I can't remember the timeline, things have changed so much - but amongst transportation types, boats are considered outside.

According to the WDW website, masks are required 'in enclosed transportation' which the watercraft are not if they are open watercraft.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoverings

Reactions: GAN
Part of the problem with postponing is... until when? Right now, I'm about 70% cancel, 30% go. (I don't need to decide for a while because we're set for December.)

But I have limited times when I can go - May works. December works. Maybe summer, but mostly May or December. So is it going to be better in May 2022? Or even December 2022?

It's just impossible to know.

And what if I push to December 2022, then get hit by a bus? I mean seriously - I had a coworker in her mid 50s. Started Covid lockdown happy as a clam (other than the lockdown). Just planning out the next half of the work year, when suddenly she doesn't show up to work. Had a terrible stomach ache, went to the ER. 5 months later, she's dead from colon cancer. Just. Like. That. Had no idea it was coming. She didn't get Covid, but she's not here today anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone should go running to Disney. I probably wouldn't go today. Today, the risk is too high for me personally.

It's just that, and not to be creepy about it, but tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. I have a relative that always wanted to go to Europe. She had friends that lived there that offered her places to stay in several countries. She definitely wanted to go one day. But "one day" was always next month or next year or whatever. There was always a reason why it'd be better tomorrow. Nothing happened to her, just that she got old. Now she's more than 80, has two hip replacements, and has trouble getting around. 20 years ago, when she first started thinking about going, she could have totally tromped around Rome or taken a walk in the French countryside. That's all gone now. I don't think her health would hold up. She never consciously decided not to go, but she postponed herself right out of the opportunity.

I have a teen. He'd excited to go. 12 months from now, who knows? I might have a sullen rebel who won't want to be there.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from someone who probably won't end up going until sometime next year (hopefully).

I have a few months yet to decide, but I'll *probably* postpone to May, eat my nonrefundable plane tickets (that I have from getting a trip to Europe cancelled back when this all started), and stay away from buses.

It has been helpful to hear everyone's perspective, so thanks for that.

Good luck to everyone with your decisions!
Thank you for sharing this with all of us, and for being so candid about everything you've experienced and are working through. You and your family are in my prayers.

I appreciate your perspective on this. We have lost a few family and friends during this time (COVID and other ailments) and I've tried to balance being safe with "living life to the fullest." We've been 3x during COVID - once in September when NO ONE was there, and it was glorious; once in May when the wife and I were fully vaxxed, though kids not; and once last month as a "resort only" visit. For the last trip, when we booked in June, we fully anticipated going to AK. Delta changed that risk equation.

As it stands now, we have a trip to CA in the fall and are *planning* on going to DL for a day. I put that in asterisks, because I think what the COVID era has taught me is that it's folly to plan farther out than 4-6 weeks, and even that may have to change on a dime. Mentally, we're planning on being in FL for spring break, and may try and visit to do a trip to Blizzard Beach. We're also planning on going to the parks in late May. But with how quickly things have been changing, I'm not pulling the trigger on anything non-refundable (e.g., flights, DVC rentals) until we get to a relative point of no return. Just my two cents.

According to the WDW website, masks are required 'in enclosed transportation' which the watercraft are not if they are open watercraft.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoverings

They required masks on the Friendship boats and were quite firm about it when we were at the Beach Club after our days at Fort Wilderness. FW did not require masks on their boats, although the cm's were wearing them. This was less than 2 weeks ago.

They required masks on the Friendship boats and were quite firm about it when we were at the Beach Club after our days at Fort Wilderness. FW did not require masks on their boats, although the cm's were wearing them. This was less than 2 weeks ago.
Yes, Friendship boats are enclosed. The ferry to MK and some of the smaller boats moving between MK and GF, Poly are not enclosed. Some watercraft require masks while others do not.

We go in three weeks. Four of us. Not concerned at all. If there were no mask requirements we would still go without any worries. We are 61 years old and probably have about 15-20 more years to travel. My advice, go while you can, time goes by fast.
I agree with everything you have said. We are 65 years old and are vaccinated. Life is too short. We leave in 10 days.

I always travel with one and it's come in handy on more than one occasion (pre-Covid). I would bring it!

Yes! I was there during swine flu and one of my travel party started feeling ill. We hadn’t brought a thermometer and ended up buying one of those cardboard/plastic stick on forehead ones from the hotel gift shop because that’s all we could find! it worked well enough for us to determine, yes, they had a fever, but not very precise. We then had to find our way to an urgent care (maybe it was a CVS minute clinic? So long ago I don’t remember) and yes, it was swine flu. I never go without a thermometer now, just in case.

That is absolutely true and had my grandson been positive, I'm sure he would've been spreading it before he showed symptoms. If WDW is going to be open during a pandemic, that is going to happen and there's no way to prevent it, you can only minimize your chances of spreading and others can minimize their chances of catching it. That's true even if you test positive once you're home. My point is, if you test, you know for sure and you can at least reduce the number of people you put at risk. None of the rest of us were showing any symptoms at all, yet didn't feel like going into the parks was the right thing to do as we didn't know if we were positive with no symptoms. Testing would've helped there as well.

But yes, when I first posted here about him showing symptoms I said that it was entirely possible he had been in the parks, shedding the virus without any of us knowing it. And he would've certainly not been the only one. Fortunately, with him not being vaccinated, he wore a mask the entire time he was in the parks, no matter what he was doing. When we ate, we chose places that were out of the way to have him take his mask off to eat. The minute we were aware he was sick, all park activity stopped, but I'm pretty sure not everyone would've done the same thing.
I haven’t read the entire thread so wondering did he catch it from a family member in the hotel room since you said he had his mask on all the time in the parks? Hopefully he is doing well!

Sorry about your mom ! Reading the posts, it doesnt seem like many people are planning unvaccinated children that are not old enough for the vaccine. We went in July 14-28. Myself and DD15 both vaxxed.... DS10- not. Didnt worry much until we got there, and saw the crowds.... we had a great time basically avoiding the parks !! Only went a few hours a day, and only did the parks 7 days. Now, we have been invited back to Orlando by friends that have a timeshare. My kids want to go, but I really worry about my son. Have no idea what to do yet.

We are staying august 20 - 29. My wife and I fully vaccinated. Daughter is 1/2 vaccinated & my son isn’t eligible anytime soon. As someone posted earlier, postpone until when? When my son is 12 (4.5 years from now)? Until we can vaccinate younger children? This virus is never going to go away. This is why we are still going to go. Maybe we are stressed to the max and don’t have fun. I don’t know. I’ll let you know in 20 days. Lol!

with all of that said my kids have been to public school, day camp and even a trip to universal studios back in February. Most kids that seem to get it bounce back. That’s if they are even symptomatic.

We are staying august 20 - 29. My wife and I fully vaccinated. Daughter is 1/2 vaccinated & my son isn’t eligible anytime soon. As someone posted earlier, postpone until when? When my son is 12 (4.5 years from now)? Until we can vaccinate younger children? This virus is never going to go away. This is why we are still going to go. Maybe we are stressed to the max and don’t have fun. I don’t know. I’ll let you know in 20 days. Lol!

with all of that said my kids have been to public school, day camp and even a trip to universal studios back in February. Most kids that seem to get it bounce back. That’s if they are even symptomatic.

This was our thinking for our trip 7/30-8/6. Unfortunately, my almost 3 y.o. daughter got sick the day we left for home, and two out of four vaccinated adults also became ill shortly after. We are quarantined, but have not yet been tested. Based on symptoms, I would guess that this is covid. My mother says that if it is, she's certainly glad she's vaccinated, because it's been terrible for her between the coughing, fever, and exhaustion. My sister has constant fatigue and loss of taste and smell. Surprisingly I'm feeling fine, despite my daughter coughing in my face the last five days. Since everyone seems to be on the other side of whatever this is, I don't regret going. We really had a great time, despite the crowds. But, I wouldn't take the risk again unless things improve. My husband, daughter and I have another trip booked the end of January. Hopefully it gets better by then, otherwise I will cancel. Room only at the moment, haven't committed to tickets yet.

Also, we masked inside, and outside in high crowds, washed hands and sanitized often. However, we had 6 table service meals and swam several times in a crowded pool. Unfortunately, there's just no telling where or how we picked it up. It could have been in those riskier situations, but really anywhere at wdw is a potential risk right now.

I'm not trying to sway anyone in any direction, just adding my story. I made sure to pack a thermometer and children's Tylenol when I left, and I'm glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter