• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are still going august 20-29. 3 of us vaccinated 1 not. We will be cautious and follow all rules. I’ll probably still wear a mask at rope drop. My feeling on this is that COVID isn’t going away. I can not keep pushing vacations due to another flare up or strain.
This is the week we are going. We are still going. We are vaccinated and we are going to take all precautions.
I’ve already cancelled twice and not canceling again.

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m looking for some info and others perspective.
First with out violating any HIPPA Rules, is their any information about how many positive cases are being attributed to WDW or Universla Studios? What are they these parks doing if someone is suspected of being positive?
Are there any reports of people quarantine in there rooms (onsite properties) ?
We are suppose to leave for. 20 day trip beginning on Aug. 10. (Doing Universal and WDW) my wife and I are vaccinated and have two children 8 and 10 (thank god are in good health) but of course to young to be vaccinated.
We are early risers and rope droppers, and mid day breakers. So I understand the expectations with lines and so on, but it is the risk of the children being infected and having to be quarantined for a majority of the trip.
Looking for some friendly but honest advice. Thank you.
You're never going to hear of cases attributed to either of these places. It just simply won't be information that is recorded,or even accessible to most of us. It's how it is. There is absolutely no concrete way to track this thru places like that, and it seems that it will stay that way.

This is the week we are going. We are still going. We are vaccinated and we are going to take all precautions.
We will also be there at this time. So tired of being home and Iwillbe meeting up with family from NY and Fl. We are all vaccinated and will wear masks. We all need to respect each other. If we see crowds we will stay clear and go find a lounge or bar. we go all the time, so just want a visit in a place we all know and love. ❤️

We went to Kings Island here in Ohio Monday and I really got my eyes open on packed lines, no masks, and a basic free for all. My husband and I are both vaccinated, but my kids are too young. We had to really have a heart to heart last night about cancelling our September trip (AGAIN!) and postponing a year. We usually go every year. It's the uptick of cases there and this Delta variant that have me concerned for my kids. I'm not going to lie. There have been tears all morning but I need to keep my kids safe. Disney will still be there next year and my kids will be vaccinated by next year.

We will also be there at this time. So tired of being home and Iwillbe meeting up with family from NY and Fl. We are all vaccinated and will wear masks. We all need to respect each other. If we see crowds we will stay clear and go find a lounge or bar. we go all the time, so just want a visit in a place we all know and love. ❤
You have a great time! I’m excited to get back to Disney.

For the poster asking, RSV is respiratory syncytial virus. It’s very common (most kids have had it by age 2) but can be very dangerous (much more than a cold) for babies and the elderly. My son spent a night in the PICU with RSV at 14 mos, and it can be especially serious for preemies.

I was scheduled to stay at Portofino Bay at Universal 8/14-8/18; followed by a Disney stay. I just cancelled the Universal portion of the trip, sadly. With two of my children too young to be vaccinated, and Universal allowing guests to not mask indoors, I felt the risk was just too high.

I hope that you had the opportunity to give Universal the reasoning behind your decision. We have a Universal only trip scheduled for 9/6-10 and I'm having a really hard time with Universal's refusal to mandate masks. I'm hoping that if they get enough feedback (or see enough cancellations) that they will grow a backbone and do the responsible thing.

We will also be there then . We are the mom and daughter you’ll be seeing with N95 masks indoors. I was thinking of adding mini Mickey ears to them.

For the poster asking, RSV is respiratory syncytial virus. It’s very common (most kids have had it by age 2) but can be very dangerous (much more than a cold) for babies and the elderly. My son spent a night in the PICU with RSV at 14 mos, and it can be especially serious for preemies.
That was me! Crazy how I have never heard of it🤷‍♀️ Proves one does not know everything LOL

DH, my two teen DSs, and I were at WDW 7/25-8/1. It was a rescheduled trip from March, 2020, and while we had a great time, I was nervous the whole trip. All 4 of us are vaccinated, and we wore masks both indoors and outdoors. Tables at both QS and TS places were placed very close together, and overall there was virtually no masking anywhere, until the mask policy change. We were grateful for the masking policy change on 7/30, but most of our trip was before the change. We routinely found many hand sanitizer stations were out of sanitizer at all 4 parks, and CMs were asking folks to take up all available space in most queues. There was no spacing of any kind in lines. Thankfully, we have had no symptoms since we returned home, but as a precaution, I got tested, and I am negative.

I have a gal pal trip scheduled for mid October, and I am seriously thinking of canceling. I will continue to monitor the Covid numbers in Florida, but I'm just not sure I want to risk going again so soon.

OP, good luck in your decision making, and if you decide to go, I hope you have a healthy and magical vacation!

We went to Kings Island here in Ohio Monday and I really got my eyes open on packed lines, no masks, and a basic free for all. My husband and I are both vaccinated, but my kids are too young. We had to really have a heart to heart last night about cancelling our September trip (AGAIN!) and postponing a year. We usually go every year. It's the uptick of cases there and this Delta variant that have me concerned for my kids. I'm not going to lie. There have been tears all morning but I need to keep my kids safe. Disney will still be there next year and my kids will be vaccinated by next year.

Hugs to you, we just had to do the same with our September trip. We have rescheduled this trip three times now, but I just can not with this Delta variant surge. My kids are 6 and 8 and we are just going to have to wait until they can be vaccinated. We did offer them a consolation replacement vacation at our favorite beach house rental, which, bonus, costs about a third as much, so at least there's that, and they do understand why, but, they are a little crushed still. As am I.

I have to agree with those who are suggesting that trips in the next few weeks should have serious reconsideration.

Here’s why: It's very hard to both maintain personal safety from the virus AND have a great fun (never mind, expensive) vacation in the current crowded conditions (and by "current" I mean since the last week or two.) You will skip so many great things that would otherwise be so much fun. Or maybe you will just find it to be a lot of strain to worry about exposure and to mitigate that (or to worry that you might potentially expose someone else to an illness that could be deadly to them.)

For those who decide to go, you would probably want to mask indoors and out. The beach at Polynesian last weekend was as crowded as I've ever seen it -- and I've been on that beach on NYE. We didn't do HEA in the park, but I suspect it was the same shoulder-to-shoulder situation in the prime viewing areas. We wore masks outdoor 100% of the time, including when we walked by the beach during HEA, but we were in the minority BY FAR. N95 are not scarce or limited to healthcare workers anymore and KN95 are everywhere. Anyone going right now will probably want to look for ways to have outdoor meals because you and the people around you will have your masks off during that time. It looks like getting tested in Orlando could be very problematic right now so even with the imitations of a home test like BinaxNow, it might be something to consider taking with you or having ready at home. Maybe investigate where you would go to get testing and/or care in Orlando if you do go there? You should also be prepared to immediately reconsider your activities and have a plan for how you will return home if anyone in your party develops symptoms or tests positive. (And this plea should probably go without saying: Be fully vaccinated.)

We returned Sunday (after leaving 4 days early) and have had no symptoms. We (thankfully) just tested negative but we're staying home, doing curbside, etc. this week and will be doing another test in 4 days. It's A LOT to do to make sure you don't infect anyone else during the time when you just don't know if you might have an illness.

This is such a hard decision for so many families. I can hear the heartbreak in all of these posts. I hope people can come to peace about whatever they decide. Hugs to all of you making this decisions. And @cakebaker, I sincerely hope your grandson is quickly restored to full health and that the rest of your family stays well. 594982

If Florida's covid numbers don't improve, I can't imagine how dangerous Disney could be with the 50th celebration October 1st..... I get a headache thinking about that.
The Florida surge isn't the sole metric to consider with WDW though - eventually, Delta will burn through the locals, but a very large number of WDW attendees will be from other states so...

Yep we rescheduled for next year and it is a huge mess because our SW airline credit now has to be used by 4/3/22, but my kids are 10 and 7 and to me it's just not worth the risk. This is also our 2nd cancellation in a row and it's getting so old right now. I mean I may have kept it if my kids were old enough to be vaccinated, but alas we still are in the waiting game on that one. The good news... by next fall they should be vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter