Tips for queueing

spacexdragon598puppy

Earning My Ears
Hi.

We're heading to WDW April 11th to 23rd. Looks like it's one of the busiest times of the year, but we're limited to school holidays so had to suck it up. Our kids are aged 7 and 10.

Of course we're expecting to spend a lot of time queuing throughout the holiday. I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but has anyone got ideas or tips on how to pass the time whilst queuing? I'm just trying to gather as many ideas as possible.

I've done some Googling, but all I can find is articles and posts about the Virtual Queue system, which is not what I'm looking for (and I believe no longer exists?).

My partner and I did WDW in 2006. Back then the electronic Fast Pass machines that gave you a little ticket were so wonderful... 😭

With Genie+ I didn’t end up waiting in many lines but there were a couple long ones. We played “I spy” in ones that had interesting things to look at. I also have Kindle on my phone so I read a couple chapters in one line. Some lines have unique queues (like Peter Pan) or games (like Soarin’). Disney also has some games in their app for particularly long lines but I didn’t use any of them.

We played “I spy” in ones that had interesting things to look at. I also have Kindle on my phone so I read a couple chapters in one line. Some lines have unique queues (like Peter Pan) or games (like Soarin’). Disney also has some games in their app for particularly long lines but I didn’t use any of them.
We always used to play 'I spy' when the kids were younger. Now we do '20 questions, movies'. Can only answer yes or no. This game is surpsingly entertaining, especially when everyone always starts with 'are there any princesses?'.

With Genie+ I didn’t end up waiting in many lines but there were a couple long ones. We played “I spy” in ones that had interesting things to look at. I also have Kindle on my phone so I read a couple chapters in one line. Some lines have unique queues (like Peter Pan) or games (like Soarin’). Disney also has some games in their app for particularly long lines but I didn’t use any of them.

I must admit I resent the Genie+ system. The idea of having to attempt to book at 7am every day of our holiday, refreshing the page, plus the additional cost on top of spending £2,000 on tickets. So decided to go without, and hence I'm interested in ideas to pass the time in queues :D

My family has a game we call "The Alphabet Game". Pick a category (like animals). The first person starts with A, says "Aardvark", next person gets B: "Baboon", etc. Unlimited categories to pick from. Surprisingly entertaining.

You really need to sign up for Touring Plans and use the wait time app. The posted wait times are not very useful.

I don't have any advice about killing time in the queue, but I will say that you should expect waits to be very long. Start checking the app for wait times before you leave home. The times might not be 100% accurate all of the time, but we found them to be accurate much of the time.

I think doing rope drop and staying as late as possible in the parks is the best strategy if you are not using Genie+. Crowds do die down later in the day, so perhaps a midday break/nap will recharge you. Remember that you can get in line one minute before a park closes and be allowed to ride. If you are staying in a deluxe resort take advantage of the extended hours. The parks are almost empty during the 11-1am MK hours.

Two words. Line Suckers (tm).

Buy a big bag of dum dums.

My family has a game we call "The Alphabet Game". Pick a category (like animals). The first person starts with A, says "Aardvark", next person gets B: "Baboon", etc. Unlimited categories to pick from. Surprisingly entertaining.
We play this game too. (Also a Ravenclaw mom! We’re so clever!) My daughter is almost 11, and this game has kept us entertained in lines for many years. We used to play with just animals or foods, but as she gets older, the categories have gotten very unique and specialized.

I have seen people playing Heads Up in line. There are some trivia games on the Play Disney App that are linked to the park you are in.

We like to play Head's up. We're also fans of Pokemon Go, but that is more of a niche activity (Disney World is a great place to play though!)

There’s a recent thread on the topic of keeping kids occupied while waiting in line on the Disney for Families forum. Quite a few people chimed in with their favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter