Tips for making most of longer trips

N

nw6675

We most always go to WDW for a week and are typically glad to get home and back to our routine. We went for a fast 3 nights two weeks ago and had an amazing time. So, while shorter seemed almost better...I somehow have a 12 nighter scheduled for Nov 24-Dec 6. It's on rented DVC points so no changing now.

Tips I'm missing on making it great? 7 day PH+ tix. Dd will be 12. Staying BR, RIV, and VGF.

1. Water park once if weather permits
2. Pool day with cabana
3. Visit AKL
4. Christmas Party
5. MK fireworks cruise (did EPCOT 2 weeks ago)
6. Do nothing day (we actually enjoy just lounging, maybe a character meal, maybe the pool for an hour - the rest just acting like we are home and live there)
7. Monorail loop for decorations

Leaning towards some subset of these and the rest spontaneous or relax time.

What else to consider?

We love longer trips, we do 14 nights every year. We’ll be there same time as you (Nov 25-dec9) at the Poly. We enjoy taking a full day to tour resorts and check out holiday decor (don’t leave out FW-and you can do a nice horse carriage ride!) We have 9 day tix this trip, doing 3 MK days and 2 in each other park. Kids do swim (pools heated) but some days can be a little cool. DS has nice holiday stuff too. Benefit of staying longer is you can take your time and enjoy/soak up the atmosphere.

We most always go to WDW for a week and are typically glad to get home and back to our routine. We went for a fast 3 nights two weeks ago and had an amazing time. So, while shorter seemed almost better...I somehow have a 12 nighter scheduled for Nov 24-Dec 6. It's on rented DVC points so no changing now.

Tips I'm missing on making it great? 7 day PH+ tix. Dd will be 12. Staying BR, RIV, and VGF.

2. Pool day with cabana
3. Visit AKL
4. Christmas Party
6. Do nothing day (we actually enjoy just lounging, maybe a character meal, maybe the pool for an hour - the rest just acting like we are home and live there)

What else to consider?
Most of my trips are in the 10-12 day range. I do three park days, then take a day off, then three more park days, and another day off, etc. On the off days, I might go to DS, or visit some resorts, or hang out at my resort. But I sleep in on the down day, or go to bed early, making sure I am well rested to power through the next round of park days.

Speaking of resorts, if you get a chance to visit WL, they always have great decorations and there’s something so quintessentially Christmas about the fireplaces and the tree in the lobby.

Try to see the decorations in each park at least once after dark, as well as any attractions with holiday twists, such as if they do the Jingle Cruise or if they put up holiday lights in the greenhouses of the Land. They look so much more festive at night.

Do you have plans to do the Candlelight Processional? It’s the only main event I did not see on your list.

We did a 13-night trip back in 2021 for my belated 40th birthday that was supposed to happen in 2020.

We were never bored and didn’t run out of things to do. We had 8-day park hoppers with the water park option. Besides the parks and water parks, we played mini-golf (highly suggest this -it was a lot of fun), spent a good part of a day at Disney Springs, resort hopped and explored resorts we’ve never been to (Riviera and CSR), had a pool-only day, and slept in a few days only going to the parks in the late afternoon. We really liked it!

I assume you are doing park days on the resort change over days to help with your homeless issue while you wait for new room to be ready?

You could make a trip to Character Warehouse at outlets on Vineland. Just don’t go on a Saturday or Black Friday.

The Grinchmas show and Macy’s style parade at Universal at Christmas are pretty good if you want to venture to other side.

I assume you are doing park days on the resort change over days to help with your homeless issue while you wait for new room to be ready?

You could make a trip to Character Warehouse at outlets on Vineland. Just don’t go on a Saturday or Black Friday.

The Grinchmas show and Macy’s style parade at Universal at Christmas are pretty good if you want to venture to other side.
We will do the parks on switchover. I forgot to mention we will do SeaWorld one of those days.

We definitely got burned on a late BC villa on our last split stay by having it as a "free" day. Ended up sitting in the lobby for quite a bit.

We did a 10 night Honeymoon from Dec 6 - 16 in 2021. We were at parks every day but we took it slower, did our fav things and found some things we had not tried before. It was our first time during the Christmas season so we toured some resorts for the decor and by accident found the pulled pork nachos at Capt Cook's at the Poly. One morning we went straight to DS and had lunch and then went to a park. We did the Christmas tree stroll and had a good time.

Last edited:
We love taking longer trips because it lets you take it easy during your trip. For example, just go to the park in the morning and do pool and a resort dinner in the afternoon/evening - or vice versa, sleep in a little bit and then go to the park in the afternoon.

People spend so much time in the parks that it's easy to miss how great some of the resort perks/features are.

2. Pool day with cabana
3. Visit AKL
4. Christmas Party

What else to consider?

I love longer trips. You're already doing the number one thing I would have recommended, which is a split stay. Switching resorts makes the whole thing feel fresh and new.

I don't think you necessarily need a bunch of extra stuff to fill the time - my favorite thing about longer trips is the ability to take things slower, have more time to enjoy the resorts/pools. But a cabana day sounds amazing, doing the Christmas party is an obvious novel item, water park sounds nice (are they open in December? we're actually going over the same time frame as you and I was wondering this for myself). Since you're staying at VGF, I'd 100% recommend splurging on a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa. Have you considered the Jollywood Nights party or the Candlelight Processional? You could do the amphibious car in DS, go bowling at Splitsville.

DD and I spent almost a whole day resort hopping to see the decorations. We did all the monorail resorts, WL, BCV, BWV, and AKL. We did a split stay then, AKL and BWV. BWV had a great display set up, and I think most of the resorts did. Had a lot of fun looking for hidden Mickeys, and just all the details in the gingerbread houses. AKL is nice to visit anytime, just look at animals for a while.
we also spent some extra time strolling the Christmas tree stroll, no rushing. LOTS of pictures, really looking at the trees.
Not Christmas, but August, 2017, (the only time we've gone in August.) we did a very impromptu trip, we treated like just for extra, and we stayed in one rainy day, and watched Hocus Pocus, which we'd never seen, so that was fun. maybe stay in and watch some Disney movies you've never seen.
There may be some great Orlando neighborhoods/parks that might be fun to check out for Christmas decorations, if you want to venture out. I've gotten more confident about driving around Orlando, although not sure I'd do that at night
Since joining DVC, we've not spent much time at the non DVC resorts, and I've been wanting to get to Port Orleans, and get beignets.
Universal does such an awesome job for holiday decorations. love the holidays there, but that's a whole other park/tickets/cost, etc.
Not Christmas related, but I think I'm finally going to take my son to either Gatorland or Wild Florida when we go in October. I know they are tourist traps, but I'm also looking for other things we can do that aren't related to theme parks. Also considering an airboat ride, will see though...
Happy planning. sounds like it'll be such a wonderful trip! it's so great to have extra time!

DD and I spent almost a whole day resort hopping to see the decorations. We did all the monorail resorts, WL, BCV, BWV, and AKL. We did a split stay then, AKL and BWV. BWV had a great display set up, and I think most of the resorts did. Had a lot of fun looking for hidden Mickeys, and just all the details in the gingerbread houses. AKL is nice to visit anytime, just look at animals for a while.
we also spent some extra time strolling the Christmas tree stroll, no rushing. LOTS of pictures, really looking at the trees.
Not Christmas, but August, 2017, (the only time we've gone in August.) we did a very impromptu trip, we treated like just for extra, and we stayed in one rainy day, and watched Hocus Pocus, which we'd never seen, so that was fun. maybe stay in and watch some Disney movies you've never seen.
There may be some great Orlando neighborhoods/parks that might be fun to check out for Christmas decorations, if you want to venture out. I've gotten more confident about driving around Orlando, although not sure I'd do that at night
Since joining DVC, we've not spent much time at the non DVC resorts, and I've been wanting to get to Port Orleans, and get beignets.
Universal does such an awesome job for holiday decorations. love the holidays there, but that's a whole other park/tickets/cost, etc.
Not Christmas related, but I think I'm finally going to take my son to either Gatorland or Wild Florida when we go in October. I know they are tourist traps, but I'm also looking for other things we can do that aren't related to theme parks. Also considering an airboat ride, will see though...
Happy planning. sounds like it'll be such a wonderful trip! it's so great to have extra time!
My stays are usually around 2 weeks and I do resort hopping also. The gift shops will have some different items and so do the restaurants. My trips now consist of me spending the mornings out on my balcony and going to the parks later in the day. I love my longer trips, they feel so much more relaxing.

Tips for making most of longer trips:

My biggest is rest days!! (And it sounds like you're doing that.) I think the pace of a typical WDW vacation is what kills people and makes them relived to be home (well, that and pets they're worried about.) Just take it easy, and you'll notice things you never have before.

My second biggest is to make sure you get some fruits and veggies into your meals! With a short trip, it's not a big deal to just "try all the treats". But the longer your diet is very different from how you eat at home, the worse you'll feel.

As for activities, I love the suggestions already made, especially Fort Wilderness - it's on my "someday list" too. The only other thing I might add if we were there that long (and had a vehicle) is a side trip to Kennedy Space Center. (But that definitely wouldn't be a rest day, so take that suggestion for what it's worth.)

The longest amount of time we have ever been to Orlando/Disney in the past was 7 days. Some trips we stayed offsite while other times we stayed at one of the Disney resorts. At most we might do 3 park days and then spend the rest of our time elsewhere. We enjoyed shopping/eating @ Disney Springs. We might play golf one day or go to the Kennedy Space Center for a day trip. They offer a variety of options for tours depending on your interest in that sort of thing and how much time you want to spend there. We generally didn't go to Disney more frequently then every 3-5 yrs since we never found the rides/shows to change that much and there is only so many time we wanted to do the same things.

For those who go to Disney more frequently such as once a year, clearly you like doing things differently then we did. If this is your first time at Disney then obviously you have more things to explore. Having been there a number of times, we already know the things we like to do or even the parks where we would spend more time. If you are there for more then 1 week I think the pace of what you do would be more leisurely. Isn't like those who are there for 3 days and believe they have to go non-stop in order to take in all of the parks they want to see to get their money's worth for the cost of what they are spending.

We like to do 8-10 day trips. We get length of stay tickets since we don't like full rest days. This gives us the opportunity to do a few rope drop days and some late start days. On RD days we do a midday break and on late start dates we do the pool in the morning/early afternoon. This gives us so much time to hit our must do's and hit plenty of rides multiple times without running around like maniacs. Last trip we did GotG 5-6 times. We get to leisurely do our trip and have time to relax.

We aren't huge DS fans so we don't spend a full day or even a half day there. We have tons of malls and strip malls in my area with a lot of the same stores so not a big appeal to me.

We also never leave property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter