Tips for HFA

christmasmagic

Mouseketeer
I was curious what parents with children who have high functioning autism do. My DD is very high functioning- to the point many people don't believe me she is on the spectrum. However, her SPD and anxiety is fairly severe. On good days, she would be fine to wait in line. However, she gets very overwhelmed by crowds and too much stimulation and will just shut down. She also has low muscle tone and tired fairly easy.

Because she is high functioning, I do feel bad getting a DAS pass, however, depending on how the day is going, I do think it can prevent meltdowns. One one hand, I would like to get the pass and save it for when we need it, however on the other hand, I feel like we are taking advantage of a system designed to help kids in greater need.

I would love to hear from parents of HFA kids and if they did not get a DAS pass, how they avoid meltdowns.

Thanks!

How old is she? Is it possible that a stroller as wheelchair would be better then a DAS at meeting her needs and allow here to escape the crowds a little?

Get a das then only use it If you need to. Or you could try doing it without the das then go back and get one if it's not working out. Also I would get a stroller as wheelchair tag for the muscle tone and fatigue.

I'm not on the spectrum, although my son is, and I have muscle tone/balance/coordination issues. We never use a DAS, and just try to manage our day around avoiding long lines etc., usually fairly successfully, although it is work, and we try to schedule fast passes pretty carefully. If she's young, stroller as wheelchair might be a good option, as the other posters suggested. You can rent special needs ones, which are intended for older/bigger children. If she's a teenager or young adult, a rollator (like a walker with wheels) might be a good option. Since it's a mobility aid, you can usually take it into the line, and it functions as a seat. It's also good for balance/fatigue which will let her get the exercise benefit of walking without getting worn out quickly.

From my experience with my son, who is VERY high-functioning but does not pass as neurotypical, I'm going to advise to take breaks fairly frequently. Your needs may vary, but we look for cool dark places such as theaters (this is only a good idea if the soundtrack doesn't bother her). We stop for snack breaks frequently too, especially in cool places. One thing I have found is that we need to AVOID large noisy food courts, particularly at the end of the day. His last really epic meltdown (long after he'd mostly stopped having them) was in the one at Port Orleans.

I'd be happy to give tips for any specific attractions/parks/etc.

Thanks for your responses! She is only 4 so she will be definitely be in a stroller. She loves to curl in her stroller and hide when she is overwhelmed.

I am happy to hear a lot of people do not use them because I really felt bad using it. Both my kids are early risers so I am hoping to RD most morning and then be happy to relax when the afternoon crowds roll in.

"Stroller as wheelchair" should work well for you since she's little. Stop at guest services and get the tag, because without it you will need to park the stroller at the ride entrance.

We always get the DAS for my son, who is non-verbal and probably more severe than your daughter. But the real lifesaver is the stroller as a wheelchair tag.

My son can pull the canopy down and his personal space bubble is established. It blocks out a lot of of the sensory stimulation, keeps strangers from trying to make eye contact or talking to him (he's non-verbal). It helps SO MUCH in lines. They let us take it right up and it's generally waiting for us when we get off the ride. It blocks out so much. He doesn't spend all day in the chair, but when he needs it, it's there. Or when we need it! My son elopes and if we're having a hard time keeping him safe, he can get buckled in the chair and whipped away.

On my son's first visit, I wasn't going to get the DAS because I felt guilty and proud and I thought we'd look like we were trying to pull a scam. I've toughened up a lot since then! On our third day a cm actually came up to us, asked if we knew about the DAS, and walked us over to Guest Services to help us get it.

If you aren't sure she needs it, or you're not sure you want to ask for it, then I wouldn't start your first park day waiting at Guest Services. I would just get started with my park plan. If she starts to struggle, if the queues are too stimulating, etc, then you can always go to Guest Services and talk to them. After you've had a little time in the park you will have a better understanding of what she can handle and you'll be able to find the words to explain it.

I was curious what parents with children who have high functioning autism do. My DD is very high functioning- to the point many people don't believe me she is on the spectrum. However, her SPD and anxiety is fairly severe. On good days, she would be fine to wait in line. However, she gets very overwhelmed by crowds and too much stimulation and will just shut down. She also has low muscle tone and tired fairly easy.

Because she is high functioning, I do feel bad getting a DAS pass, however, depending on how the day is going, I do think it can prevent meltdowns. One one hand, I would like to get the pass and save it for when we need it, however on the other hand, I feel like we are taking advantage of a system designed to help kids in greater need.

I would love to hear from parents of HFA kids and if they did not get a DAS pass, how they avoid meltdowns.

Thanks!
I would go to GR and talk to them about here needs and what she her needs are in line they may say a DAS and a stroller as a wheel char tage is what she need and just because you have it dose not mean you have to use it at all.

I use the DAS pass and if I am not sure I can do a line I might get a return time and get in the stand by line if I can do the line great, I simply go to the next ride and ask for a return time and the CM will take the last one off if I can not I get out of line find some place to calm down and go when I am ready.

Stroller with a canopy is great. That way she can tuck herself away. Get the DAS. Disney has a lot more stimulation than every day life and it's tiring too. We generally find that we end up using the DAS a couple of times, but mainly towards the end of our trips because the stimulation and just the trip in general wear him out which leads to higher chances of processing issues. Just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

There are also interactive lines that can be overstimulating. Great for NT kids, not so much for those with SPD.

I would also say to go at her pace and adjust to what she needs. On our first trip, my son had few issues and met with the characters, etc. We didn't use a DAS at all. Next trip, he refused to meet any characters - and still refuses. Their responses to stimulation change from one day to the next - one day may be great, the next may be too much.

Pack snacks that you know she will eat. That way you aren't panicking when she decides that Disney pizza isn't HER pizza. (or, in the case of my son, Disney bananas were different from our bananas.) Bring some headphones. Even my non-ASD child likes to wear them for all the shows and parades. He doesn't need them, but it's a comfort to him. If she's an early riser, go early and leave early. Don't worry about fireworks and night shows. We did Wishes once on our last trip. Otherwise we were back in the hotel room by 8pm each night (and sometimes earlier). It seems odd to say, but routine means A LOT to our kiddos - even though we want to see everything and waive bedtimes for vacation, plenty of sleep and keeping as close as possible to their "normal" routine makes such a HUGE difference.

And have a great time!

Thanks!

Our 12 year old son is HFA and we have been taking him to DL since he was 6. When we first started going he had just been dx a few months before so his issues were much more pronounced than they are now. (6 years of st, ot and behaviour intervention along with a ton of work) we still get the DAS for him but only use it if needed. We have a family rule that we will not use it for any wait time that is less than 30 minutes, unless it is a tight queue or Roger Rabbit. For some reason that one is too much for him and he cannot walk through the SB line.

As for how to help with with meltdowns, that can really vary person to person but we always make sure that he has sunglasses since he is light sensitive. We also allow him to bring an electronic device but he has to carry it himself. We found that he was better if he was allowed to direct where we go so he holds the map. We always take an afternoon break back at the hotel so he can rest and decompress.

Be guided by your child and if I can pass on one single word of advice it would be to not push her when she lets you know it is time for a break. As soon as DS says that he wants to go back for a break that's it.

Thanks!

I'm a very high functioning adult on the spectrum, and I get a DAS pass since there are times I cannot handle waiting in the regular standby line. Disney pushes me to my sensory limits, and sometimes a particular queue is just too much for me to handle in that moment. It is definitely worth inquiring about a DAS pass to potentially have as a backup plan.

The crowds at Disney are unlike almost any other place you will encounter, and some parks can be worse than others. It is good to know where some of the quieter places are in each park in case she needs a break. I find taking a little while and relaxing in some of the quieter areas can be super helpful in preventing a meltdown.

Basic things that help me too:
-FP+. Do as much as you can using that system.
-making sure I eat regularly and consistently in the parks (and drink plenty of water).
-headphones. The noise can be intense in some queues. Really echoy and chaotic and abrasive.
-keeping cool. If you're not used to the Florida heat/humidity, it can be rough. And the sun intensity.
-don't push it. This one is super hard for me still. I like to cram as much in, but it is good to recognize when you're reaching the point of no return to a meltdown and just backing off.
-sleep. Proper sleep at Disney is essential to reduce meltdown chances.

If you can, break up days that are more full on with either non-park days or half days spent exploring the resort/other areas of WDW to rest and recooperate. Going hard in the parks for multiple days in a row is super taxing on the senses.

I would also say to go at her pace and adjust to what she needs. On our first trip, my son had few issues and met with the characters, etc. We didn't use a DAS at all. Next trip, he refused to meet any characters - and still refuses. Their responses to stimulation change from one day to the next - one day may be great, the next may be too much.

Pack snacks that you know she will eat. That way you aren't panicking when she decides that Disney pizza isn't HER pizza. (or, in the case of my son, Disney bananas were different from our bananas.) Bring some headphones. Even my non-ASD child likes to wear them for all the shows and parades. He doesn't need them, but it's a comfort to him. If she's an early riser, go early and leave early. Don't worry about fireworks and night shows. We did Wishes once on our last trip. Otherwise we were back in the hotel room by 8pm each night (and sometimes earlier). It seems odd to say, but routine means A LOT to our kiddos - even though we want to see everything and waive bedtimes for vacation, plenty of sleep and keeping as close as possible to their "normal" routine makes such a HUGE difference.

And have a great time!

This sounds so much like my daughter! We actually have a ton of character meals planned bc she loves to see the characters but not really speak to them and will get scared. That is a great point about the snacks. Thank you! And I also anticipate early rising and early bedtime!

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Our 12 year old son is HFA and we have been taking him to DL since he was 6. When we first started going he had just been dx a few months before so his issues were much more pronounced than they are now. (6 years of st, ot and behaviour intervention along with a ton of work) we still get the DAS for him but only use it if needed. We have a family rule that we will not use it for any wait time that is less than 30 minutes, unless it is a tight queue or Roger Rabbit. For some reason that one is too much for him and he cannot walk through the SB line.

As for how to help with with meltdowns, that can really vary person to person but we always make sure that he has sunglasses since he is light sensitive. We also allow him to bring an electronic device but he has to carry it himself. We found that he was better if he was allowed to direct where we go so he holds the map. We always take an afternoon break back at the hotel so he can rest and decompress.

Be guided by your child and if I can pass on one single word of advice it would be to not push her when she lets you know it is time for a break. As soon as DS says that he wants to go back for a break that's it.

The rules are a great idea! If we end up with one, I may do the same. Thank you for that!

I'm a very high functioning adult on the spectrum, and I get a DAS pass since there are times I cannot handle waiting in the regular standby line. Disney pushes me to my sensory limits, and sometimes a particular queue is just too much for me to handle in that moment. It is definitely worth inquiring about a DAS pass to potentially have as a backup plan.

The crowds at Disney are unlike almost any other place you will encounter, and some parks can be worse than others. It is good to know where some of the quieter places are in each park in case she needs a break. I find taking a little while and relaxing in some of the quieter areas can be super helpful in preventing a meltdown.

Basic things that help me too:
-FP+. Do as much as you can using that system.
-making sure I eat regularly and consistently in the parks (and drink plenty of water).
-headphones. The noise can be intense in some queues. Really echoy and chaotic and abrasive.
-keeping cool. If you're not used to the Florida heat/humidity, it can be rough. And the sun intensity.
-don't push it. This one is super hard for me still. I like to cram as much in, but it is good to recognize when you're reaching the point of no return to a meltdown and just backing off.
-sleep. Proper sleep at Disney is essential to reduce meltdown chances.

If you can, break up days that are more full on with either non-park days or half days spent exploring the resort/other areas of WDW to rest and recooperate. Going hard in the parks for multiple days in a row is super taxing on the senses.

Thanks! Its nice to hear an adults perspective since you can verbalize it better than a 4 year old! Our trip is pretty long but I don't intend on being in the park all day every day. Most mornings and a lot of rest time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter