tips for driving with a two year old

Joyfulsnuff

<font color=purple>Asks a lot of silly questions h
We have friends that are going with us to WDW this year and they have a two year old, we are driving and I would love some tips for keeping a two year old content in the car. I would like to give them some good tips, so all of you out there who have little ones, HELP! Thanks!

We are planning our trip to WDW in October/November with our daughter (who will be almost 3). We are going to bring our laptop so she can watch movies on the way down, we also plan on getting her a tray (either the Taby Tray or the Playtray from One Step Ahead) so that she can color, read, and play with toys on the way down. We are going to get some new books, toys etc. for the trip, so that she will really be interested in them. I would also say bring snacks, drinks and stop frequently to stretch your legs and take bathroom breaks.

Enjoy your trip!

One thing you have to count on is that a child that age will sleep. That's great while you are still moving, but remember that when you finally stop, all the grownups will be really tired, but the child will be bursting with energy and raring to go. If you are stopping overnight, I recommend choosing a place with an indoor pool; great for getting rid of those "cooped up in the car too long" fidgets. Another good thing to do is keep your eye out for playgrounds along the way, and stop for exercise breaks occasionally.

Our DS always liked flash cards for trips; he loved flipping through them and identifying the pictures. He also adored the Dorling-Kindersley picture board books that show lots of photos of various categories of things; he had one of animals that he never got tired of flipping through. He was never much for coloring, really, but he did (and does) like magnadoodles and colorforms, which can be played with on the windows. Also, those little plastic folders with re-usuable stickers that form scenes are good, too. If you can stand listening to kiddie tunes, I recommend the Disney CD's; a personal player might work, but not all kids can manage the headphones at that age. We play "name that movie" with the Disney Classic CD's; it's a good game for the road.

Oh, danger warning on the coloring; get fat colored pencils instead of crayons; crayons will melt on your upholstery. If you have a Marshall's store nearby, try there for kid goodies; they often seem to have a lot of good stuff at nicely discounted prices.

Last year we drove down with a 8 Month old and a 30 month old. This year the were 20 mo and 3 1/2 yr. We've been extremly lucky both ways both trips. My best advice is to try to get in as much as you can whlie they are sleeping. I went to bed early (8 pm or so) and my wife kept the boys up late watching Disney movies of course. I set an alarm for 2 a.m. and started driving. The boys slept for the first 5 hours of the trip. (about 1/3 of the journey).

Something that worked good for us, and I guess I should have posted this on the tip board when we got back, Is to stop at a McDonalds(or any other fast food place) with a play area. But... don't make the kids sit down to eat. Let them go nuts, stretch their legs out and wear themselves down while you eat. Then you can keep them busy in the car for a while by letting them eat lunch while you are driving. And hopefully with a full tummy and tired body the can get back to sleep while you cover even more miles.

And lastly the true life saver of our trip. (and I hate the thought of it) get the portable TV/VCR combo for the car. This worked good for passing the time in nearly 2 hour blocks. I never liked the thought of a tv in the car and in fact I take it out as soon as we get back from vacation, but at that age it really does work good. When they get older I will prefer them to do more constructive things in the car but for now the TV was great, Just don't tell my wife I said so.

We have traveled with our two kids all over. Our best tip ever is to use your digital video camera (with the screen on the side) and tape from your VCR to the mini tapes. Take spare batteries and be prepared to watch (or hear) the same things over and over and over. In Australia we have the Wiggles and Banana's in PJ's and these are 'it and a bit' for 2 year old amusement.
When we drove from Las Vegas to Disneyland we but an esky full of snacks and ice between them in the back seat. Ok sure we had a projectile problem but it did amuse them big time. Last, travel in evenings and the little one will sleep. Good luck.

My DS's really enjoy the books with tapes. We bought some and borrowed some from the library. We got cassette walk-man type thingies at Wal-Mart for under $10 and use them for listening to stories.

I second the colored pencil idea as well. My DS's are now 10, 8, and 5 and I still tend to carry colored pencils in my purse. They are very handy for unexpected down-times.

We brought a laptop with some DVD's

Some toys:

magna doodle
color wonder markers

We also left around 3/4 am to allow them to sleep some of the way...

We drove to WDW from Upstate NY last April with my DS (13), DS (5) and DD 18 Mo. The most important thing for children in car seats is to make sure you stop often & get them out of the seat. Babies & toddlers can't move around very well all strapped in and can get very uncomfortable. We found that out the hard way when my poor DD got a sore bottom from sitting too long. Bad Mommy !!!

Bring healthy snacks. (Sugar wouldn't do while trying to keep a wee one tied down.) Craisins, raisins, pretzels, crackers that they dip in the cheese or peanut butter. Not too much juice with high fructose corn syrup. (None at all, for us.) We love our DVD system in our truck! We have 4 DD's and we can talk, sing, read out loud. But there comes a time when popping a movie in just quiets things down so DH can drive in peace. (And I'm the one who wants to pitch all the TV's in the house, including the 65" in the great room!) Travel sized magna doodles are great! They also sell table tops made specifically for car seats. Has a storage area, too. A pillow or rolled towel/ something to hold their head while sleeping. I hate to see their little heads dangling like a leaf. Me, I'd keep driving. But my DH is wiser. He stops and give us breaks on a regular basis. HTH! BTW, Joyful, I think you're a special friend to travel with someone elses 2 yo! Not easy if you're not used to it! :D

Thanks so much for all of your great ideas! Since my kids are getting a little older and can entertain themselves now, I've forgotten ways to entertain a 2 year old. Its funny how when your kids grow out of that stage you begin to forget, or maybe I blocked that out (ha-ha).

dramamine--the kind that makes you sleepy.
no caffeine (for the kids)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter