Tips/activities for car travel with kids

sandyrob

Earning My Ears
I just finished putting together (surprise) travel bags for our 8, 11, and 13 yo DDs.

Each bag (actually it's a plain off-white canvas tote that they will decorate during the trip with fabric markers) contains:

disposable camera
aqua cooler neck wrap
sketch pad
24 ct. pkg. crayons
12 ct. pkg. colored pencils
10 ct. markers
autograph book and pen
quarters and pennies for the souvenior penny machines
a roll of quarters for the arcade
Mickey & Minne fruit roll ups
snack size packages of peanuts, sunflower seeds, Rice Krispie Treats, Slim Jims and assorted candy

Our girls all like to sketch and we'll be bring the TV/VCR combo to use in the van. Besides a deck of cards and books, what are some of the things your kids do during a long car ride??

Here's a post with some great car activities http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226819

My kids also bring their gameboys and their headphones on car trips. Madlibs, crosswords, license plate match, and travel bingo are also hits.

One of the most enjoyable things we did last trip was to get the first Harry Potter book on tape and listen to it. We didn't even want to stop for gas or to eat it was so fun. We have the second book for this trip. Even though my daughter and I have read the books they are still great to listen to, the actor is wonderful.

bobcat, thanks for taking the time to answer. My post has been out there all day, and you're the first to offer any advice. I knew there had to be some good ideas out there !

We're Harry Potter fans too, so after I finish this post, it's off to barnesandnoble.com to order the audio book!! Thanks for a wonderful idea!!

sandyrob,
My family love to do madlibs. They are funny stories with blanks that you fill in without knowing what the story is about. You then read the story out loud to the family. So funny. You can get them at a good book store.We also like to hunt for car tags from all the states, and read aloud together. Have a good trip.

jordan's mom

You might check your local library for the book on tape. Ours has a three week loan on these so we have plenty of time to use them. If I remember right HP on tape costs about $40 at B&N.

We really have fun with the madl libs. We also play" I'm at disney world now .....". We just ask questions and try to figure out what that person is thinking about doing at WDW. We also have gameboys and a magnadoodle.

I knew the readers of this site would come through! THANKS!

I'll have to search the internet and learn more about MADLIB. We've never played. Our DDs are 8, 11, and 13, so sometimes it's difficult to challenge or keep the interest of the 13 year old and at the same time involve the youngest. This game sounds like a game for all ages.

Again, thanks!

PS: I checked B & N for the audio books, and bobcat, you're right!! They are expensive--so I checked with our local library, and they have all available :p

Magnetic scenery books with little magnetic people and objects are fun for little kids. We occupied our DD of 5 years of age with one.
Here's another tip: Tell your kids that when you stop for gas, they can pick one item for under $3 from the gas station. There is usually a kids' toy section at all of these roadside stations. The kids will look forward to the stops and will talk about what they go and what they will get at the next one. Teaches them about what stuff costs and how to think about what to get too. Cheap way to keep 'em quiet!

We love the "Bop-It" game. They have a miniature key ring size version that works just like the full size game. I have seen them at Toys R Us, Kids R Us, & Target. They cost about $10 for the key ring version. Kids love them, but I have also seen adults become addicted to the game!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter