Tipping at Pym’s Tasting Lab

RedVines2001

Mouseketeer
Ordered drinks from Pym’s Tasting Lab my last trip to DCA. Found out that they are allowed to accept cash tips even though they can’t put out a tip jar or write it into the check. Something to do with them not being actual “bartenders”. I don’t know if this is official policy or not but I intent to keep doing it. Throwing this out there for those who didn’t know. Cheers.

I don't know about tipping... I think they get the same wage as the other cast members, so we're not making up a wage for them.... (just my personal opinion, of course)

I have never tipped nor seen anyone else tip at any of the walk up alcohol serving establishments in DCA. It's not expected nor advertised as an option. They are just regular cast members, same as the ones who work the quick serve restaurants.

I’ve always thought they’re not allowed to accept tips. I left a five on the bar and the CM smiled thanked me and took it. First time I’ve seen that and I was happy about it. I honestly don’t see why we shouldn’t be able to tip any food service CMs, not just table service.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of the constantly increasing stream of people who are now tipped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-tipping and know how needed and appreciated it can be, but it now feels like the burden of ensuring people can afford necessities is falling on people who don't have a lot more themselves. Not long ago, tipping 10% was the norm. Now it's 20% and sometimes more depending on the establishment, and the number of people now commonly tipped has expanded greatly. Just how is it decided who gets tips and who doesn't? I mean, if we're tipping for a service rendered, how is that defined? I'm not trying to be facetious, I just don't really know. My twin daughters worked at a 9-hole golf course the last couple of years. When they drove around picking up balls, no tips, even though they often assisted customers. The much easier counter job of taking money inside and selling someone a soda or candy bar often earned tips. The counter job paid more. Neither job, IMO, should have prompted tipping. There are so many idiosyncrasies to our system of tipping and it doesn't always make sense to me.

*Disclaimer: aside from a few part-time jobs in my youth, I never worked a job that garnered tips

I really am surprised to hear that these CMs are allowed to accept tips and I am not 100% sure they are following rules on that. I'm not going to assume that just because they smiled and took the money that they are actually supposed to.

If they are not allowed to write it onto the check/take a tip via credit card OR put out a tip jar, it sounds like tips are not permitted. I have a feeling those CMs are gonna get in trouble eventually.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of the constantly increasing stream of people who are now tipped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-tipping and know how needed and appreciated it can be, but it now feels like the burden of ensuring people can afford necessities is falling on people who don't have a lot more themselves. Not long ago, tipping 10% was the norm. Now it's 20% and sometimes more depending on the establishment, and the number of people now commonly tipped has expanded greatly. Just how is it decided who gets tips and who doesn't? I mean, if we're tipping for a service rendered, how is that defined? I'm not trying to be facetious, I just don't really know. My twin daughters worked at a 9-hole golf course the last couple of years. When they drove around picking up balls, no tips, even though they often assisted customers. The much easier counter job of taking money inside and selling someone a soda or candy bar often earned tips. The counter job paid more. Neither job, IMO, should have prompted tipping. There are so many idiosyncrasies to our system of tipping and it doesn't always make sense to me.

*Disclaimer: aside from a few part-time jobs in my youth, I never worked a job that garnered tips
I hear what you’re saying, especially the part about 20%. I don’t like how common it has become to just add a blanket tip or service charge to your order, even for take out. I usually experience terrible service with places that do this. Tipping is a highly personal choice and I don’t like it forced upon me. I also don’t trust how certain places divide the tips. I usually make it a point to personally hand the bus boy a tip at a restaurant since that’s usually the person that I get the most service from in a meal.

I hear what you’re saying, especially the part about 20%. I don’t like how common it has become to just add a blanket tip or service charge to your order, even for take out. I usually experience terrible service with places that do this. Tipping is a highly personal choice and I don’t like it forced upon me. I also don’t trust how certain places divide the tips. I usually make it a point to personally hand the bus boy a tip at a restaurant since that’s usually the person that I get the most service from in a meal.
Oh yes! I agree. It should be up to the customer. Also, the popularity of printing up the tip amount bases the percentage on the total bill including tax. You're not supposed to tip on the tax portion, so if you use those calculations, you're actually tipping more than the stated percentage. I also wonder how establishments calculate tips for the employees; one of my daughters works at a coffee house and the tips are collected by the managers and equally divided among all the workers. In some ways that seems fair, but in other ways it isn't. The surly employee who is rude gets the same as the employee who went above and beyond and there's no way to calculate that in when you're tipping except to do as you said and personally hand the tip directly to the employee. But might that put the employee in a position of going against the employer's rules if they simply pocket the money?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter