Tip for Vegetarians

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
FYI - always ask. Tonight we were at Jakes (at RPR). We had looked at the menu earlier in the day and my 2 vegetarian kids were okay with the only vegetarian entree on the menu (cheese pizza). We arrived, waited for a table, ordered and got drinks, and then when we ordered they told us their pizza oven was down so no pizza. I complained because that’s the only vegetarian option on their menu (they have them marked with a symbol). Our server said she would see what she could do. She came back with a preprinted vegetarian and vegan menu with 2-3 options each for appetizer, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. None if it was on their main menu. Or even hinted at on their main menu. The only hint that there was a secret vegetarian/vegan menu was a comment that if you have dietary restrictions to ask your server. I assumed that meant allergies or sensitivities, especially since they have one item marked vegetarian.

So ask. Everywhere. There might be many more options available.

I found this to also be true with the gluten free items. The menus didn't seem to be accurate at all. Waiters would tell me certain things weren't really gluten free, but that other things were or could be modified.

In addition, some restaurants carried gluten free bread, pasta, and desserts, but it wasn't listed and waiters weren't always aware. I had done a bunch of gluten free food blog searching before I went, so I knew which restaurants to ask at, and of course, when the waiters checked these things existed.

I definitely recommend if someone has dietary restrictions doing research ahead of time as much as possible and not just relying on the menu. Always speak with waiters and chefs if possible also. Some can even make you custom meals if needed. It really depends from venue to venue and chef to chef on that, but it never hurts to ask if there is nothing on the printed menu you can safely eat.

So what was on the menu?
Some items with meat substitute (my kids both got the pasta ‘bolognese’), tomato bisque, salads without meat (with the price reduction you wouldn’t get by asking them to leave the meat off). I would guess some more complex entrees with more vegetables but I didn’t get more than a glance at it.
I found this to also be true with the gluten free items. The menus didn't seem to be accurate at all. Waiters would tell me certain things weren't really gluten free, but that other things were or could be modified.

In addition, some restaurants carried gluten free bread, pasta, and desserts, but it wasn't listed and waiters weren't always aware. I had done a bunch of gluten free food blog searching before I went, so I knew which restaurants to ask at, and of course, when the waiters checked these things existed.

I definitely recommend if someone has dietary restrictions doing research ahead of time as much as possible and not just relying on the menu. Always speak with waiters and chefs if possible also. Some can even make you custom meals if needed. It really depends from venue to venue and chef to chef on that, but it never hurts to ask if there is nothing on the printed menu you can safely eat.
We’ve been picking places based on whether or not there is enough for the kids to choose from. So restaurants that aren’t putting their vegetarian items on their menu are just losing our business. It’s kind of annoying that it’s not available in their drop down menus online for the Universal restaurants (everyday, kids, etc). Since our case is a choice and not a medical or religious reason I’m probably not going to call around asking ahead of time. But it’s helpful to know that if we really want to eat somewhere the one or two items on the menu may not be the only options.

We’ve been picking places based on whether or not there is enough for the kids to choose from. So restaurants that aren’t putting their vegetarian items on their menu are just losing our business. It’s kind of annoying that it’s not available in their drop down menus online for the Universal restaurants (everyday, kids, etc).
Agree, it's one area where I think Universal could use a lot of improvement. Is it really that difficult to mark items correctly or even mark that they can be modified? Is a separate allergy menu that hard? Even if it was only virtual. Plenty of chain restaurants and even mom and pop type places do it as well as Disney, so I don't really see what the issue is with providing the correct information on their website or the app.

The same thing was true at Strongwater Bar. They have a whole vegetarian tapas menu that is not printed online - and in fact, my vegetarian kiddo's small plates looked a lot better than anything we ordered and he demolished them quite happily while teasing us that we would haven enjoyed our meal more if we had been vegetarian (the same thing was true at Antojitos, where his mushroom tacos looked much better than our unchewable beef ones). I think for a long time the Harry Potter restaurants didn't mention that they made meatless versions of the shepherd's pie but we found out when we asked and now it's printed on the menu. Luckily my guy is vegetarian and not vegan, so he was able to enjoy Butterbeer to his heart's content. He was wary of gelatin being in some of the candy at Honeydukes but fortunately the every flavor jelly beans use tapioca instead.

The same thing was true at Strongwater Bar. They have a whole vegetarian tapas menu that is not printed online - and in fact, my vegetarian kiddo's small plates looked a lot better than anything we ordered and he demolished them quite happily while teasing us that we would haven enjoyed our meal more if we had been vegetarian (the same thing was true at Antojitos, where his mushroom tacos looked much better than our unchewable beef ones). I think for a long time the Harry Potter restaurants didn't mention that they made meatless versions of the shepherd's pie but we found out when we asked and now it's printed on the menu. Luckily my guy is vegetarian and not vegan, so he was able to enjoy Butterbeer to his heart's content. He was wary of gelatin being in some of the candy at Honeydukes but fortunately the every flavor jelly beans use tapioca instead.

What's in the shepherd's pie? Is it a meat substitute like tofu or something or just vegetables? If it's vegetables that sounds amazing.

What's in the shepherd's pie? Is it a meat substitute like tofu or something or just vegetables? If it's vegetables that sounds amazing.
The one at LC is meat substitute and my kids hated it (they eat meat substitute but this is poorly done). The one at 3B is mushroom and Jackfruit. My daughter was skeptical at first but ate it twice and liked it. 3B also has potato leak soup which my other kiddo liked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter