Time is not fair. Part 7.

Hiddenhearth

Earning My Ears
Have returned. Just a few more things I'll add, for those of you still bearing with me.

Reservations. I did the initial reservation rush when first getting aboard. The first one, I was, in line at Palo's. So, I got res's for 5 (sans boys, of course), for Champagne Brunch Sunday, dinner Wednesday, & high tea Monday. Then, with the Spa not taking res's yet, I met the rest of the party at Topsiders. Within an hour, thoroughly enjoying myself in the sunshine, on the fantail, revelling the fact that I was finally here! - I completely forgot about the Spa reservations - at least for another couple of hours.

The brunch. The older three asked, Why brunch? Well, listen, the brunch was fantastic. Breakfast is my favorite meal, and this brunch was the best I'd seen. Do not miss the fruit pizza.

High tea. We cancelled it that morning. We were all having so much fun doing things around the ship, everyone in different directions, all trying to decide which option to skip, which to choose.

Dinner. It was all that fans raving before me promised. Above and beyond the other meals, as much as we enjoyed everything. Having said that, though, as the 5 of us soaked in the serenity of this restaurant, I could not help but think about our table 70 in Lumiere's. Are the two boys sitting at opposite ends of the large table, in silence? Are they in shirts and t-shirts? (I forgot to remind them that Lumiere's was the dressy place.) Are Eddie and Zaldy paying them extra attention?

I almost wished I was down there with them. Partly because I enjoy my boys' company, and partly because of Eddie and Zaldy. By Wednesday, these two servers had become a vital part of our vacation. The servers in Palo's were most gracious and personable - but they were strangers! I missed Eddie and Zaldy! And who knows what magic trick Eddie had saved for this night!

All five of us felt this way. The next night, upon arrival at dinner, we exclaimed to Eddie and Zaldy, "We're back!!" We told them we missed them. Zaldy laughs. "Did you miss us??," we asked. And Zaldy laughs more at our silliness.

As it turned out, we were at Lumiere's only one night. On our first afternoon of the trip, I changed our assigned dining rotation. It was changed with no difficulty at all. Maybe because we were in late seating. Anyhow, I liked the reasoning of prior passengers, who had suggested the rotation with Parrot Cay the first night. That put the formal night - Sunday - at Lumiere's. It was very appropriate. Also, that rotation put us at Parrot Cay for Tropical Night. Again, appropriate. Hence, with Palo's for Wednesday, we'd only have the one time at Lumiere's. I supposed that the boys we like to dress up as few times as possible, and expected them to eat elsewheres on Wednesday without the five old folks.

They loved the room service. Once the 15 y/o got the hang of it, he was ordering things - pizza! - left and right.

On the contrary, though, they chose to go to Lumiere's that night, where the older one chose steak. (He never eats steak at home...)

In retrospect, I didn't mind eating at Lumiere's fewer times than Parrot Cay (3 times) and Animator's Palette. The motif at PC was relaxing. And the "show" at AP - the first time there - was so cool!

All seven of us ate every breakfast at Topsiders. Ah, what a way to live, eating such a choice of fruits and all sorts of other breakfast things, eating to your stomach's content in the bright sunshine!...

Only on the last day (sniff, sniff) did we eat in one of the main restaurants. Not by choice, of course. We didn't realize until that morning that there were breakfasts brought to order. Still, we still would have chosen Topsiders throughout the week.

At least on that last morning we got to say our good-byes to Eddie and Zaldy once more...

Before I get to the Spa, I'll end this and do some chores. Steve.

for posting your trip reports. I've really enjoyed reading them. Makes me wish the 18 weeks I have left will go by quickly. Looking forward to your postings on the spa (sureal and rain forest).

that you had stopped your wonderful "ramblings". Are you a writer in your spare time! I have so enjoyed your tales of the ship! I am looking forward to the spa tale, and also anymore you might have "missed" sharing. It is wonderful to live vicariously thru your stories! It seems a LONG time till August! ;)

Steve, Thank you for another of your awesome cruise reports. There are so many things I enjoy about your writing and not the least are your attention to the minutia in every facet of everyday shipboard life, how the crew responded to you and your family, and your enjoyment of every port.

The first cruise DD and I took in Sept. 99 (4 night), we were privileged to enjoy a verandah cabin on deck 6. Like you, one of the highlights of the trip was relaxing out there, listening to the sounds of the ocean, seeing wonderful sea animals frolicking around us, and watching the waves. We'll never ever forget it. Our second cruise in December 00 (3 night) and was soon after my dear Dad passed away after living with us for many years. We had an inside cabin then on deck 5 (I believe) and we felt the healing power of the ocean help lessen our grief and the Disney Magic bring joy to our hearts. Both cruises the Wonder crew was absolutely outstanding in their service and friendliness. We could not have asked for 2 better trips.

Thank you for sharing your recent trip with us and we look forward to your next posting. Keep the details coming, please!

Thank you, Katesdad and Dalmatian for your kind words. It is only for comments like yours that I keep "rambling". And Mary Ann, thank you, as well. By the way, Mary Ann, you are exactly right - I have been writing for many years - about life on a tug, running the coast of New England. Before I became a Docking Pilot, I was a tugboat captain for many years (out of New York), plying the waters of the Northeast, towing oil barges. Mostly just for the joy of writing, I wrote and wrote and wrote for years, but maybe also for publication sometime as well. I have made a few attempts to get published, but not as yet.

Anyhow, thank you all again for your kind words. Steve.

Steve, Please let me know when your book is published. I would love to read your memoirs as I'm certain they are wonderful. You definitely have a way with words as evidenced by your cruise reports that make even the mundane interesting. If you are interested you can possibly find my cruise reports (99/4-Day & 00/3-Day) on this site. I don't know if they are still accessible anymore. Look under my former name of "CinNC" to find them. I changed my name to Dalmatian1 because there was a long period of time when I didn't post and could not seem to access this site with CinNC.

Waiting impatiently for number 8 and 9 and 10 and....

Dalmatian1 - Yes, I remember your previous name. I must have read your report!

Abitjaded - Hah!, thank you. It is midnight, and I am leaving, once again for New York. I shall return in a few days and shall continue on - and only because some of you are so flattering and obviously interested! Til then, Steve.

Steve - Your reports have revitalized me this week (it has been are really bad week) and got me excited about our third cruise on the Magic this December. Since the advance planning that can be done (hotel, car and air) is done I havn't been here lately but read your reports and I am "all pumped up" again and driving everyone crazy with my daily countdown! LOVE IT!

Thanks again for writing your reports and am anxiously waiting for the next installment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter