Time is not fair. Part 6.

Hiddenhearth

Earning My Ears
One suggestion from the message boards that I liked was phone cards. I like to tip more than is recommended. These guys work so hard. And when they're good - like the servers and room steward we had - they deserve more. Well, nothing wrong with cash, but the more I thought about a phone card, the better an idea it sounded.

In the phone booths around the docks in New York Harbor, where the ships berth, there's always a pile of spent phone cards. I know what it's like to be at sea, thinking about loved ones back home, wishing I could talk to them.

Often you'll see a line of crewmembers lined up at the phone booths, as soon as the ship is berthed. Sometimes there's quite a wait, for their turn to call home, to their foreign lands.

Anyhow, we bought three international phone cards before we left home. Each were 600 minute cards.

Waiting for the right moment to pass the first along (I won't say to whom I gave this first), it was two or three days before I gave the first away. Much to my surprise and disappointmen, he barely thanked me, just putting it aside. Oh well.

The next I gave away with less enthusiasm. Surprised again!, for this helper stopped his business, examined the card, looked me straight to the face, asking, "Six hundred minutes?! This is six hundred minutes?!" Yes, international - I replied. "Six hundred minutes?! Oh thank you captain! Thank you!"

Then the third guy was even was even more excited. He was so grateful. He said he needed one for that very Saturday. He had been asking all around the ship for one, to no avail. "This is just what I need!," he exclaimed. "Thank you so much! Thank you!"

Well, alas, I must leave for New York in several hours. There were several more things in this now long-winded report I would like to tell you about. Our Personal Trainer session, the Rain Forest, the Surial Bath, Castaway Cay.

I'll have to wait several more days, if I am to ramble on, if any of you are still interested.

Til then, I hope some of you have found this informative or entertaining. As I stated back in Part 1, I feel it a duty to return some of the many, many hours of pleasure I had reading reporting reports as I pined for the elusive trip.

Keep on dreaming, Steve.

Steve, Another terrific cruise report! I like the idea of phone cards to use as additional tips also. I appreciate your specifically mentioning international cards. I would not have thought of that. I can imagine that the international crew members would appreciate being able to talk to their families more than anything. What a thoughtful way of saying how much you appreciate their hard work.

Thank you so much for your trip report... Your descriptive writing touches me inside.. very creative. I am very interested in what you have to say about the personal trainer. Please continue writing when you have the time..

Thank you so much for your trip report... Your descriptive writing touches me inside.. very creative. I am very interested in what you have to say about the personal trainer. Please continue writing when you have the time..

Thank you for your wonderful trip reports. I truly enjoyed your writing style. It made me want to cruise even more.
Thank you!!!

Steve,

Please tell me where you got these International Cards. I buy the AT&T ones from Sam's Club and passed them out with our tips on our last cruise. I know they can be used internationally but the minutes on the card do not represent the actual minutes for international use.

Thanks!

Great tip...is there someplace speciall to purcase the international minute cards...I haven't come acrosse them in the regular places...

i am also wondering where you get international phone cards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter