**Tie Dye Mickey ears shirts directions**NEW NEW PICS LAST PAGE**

:teacher:Question for those of you with "tie dye" experience--how crucial is it that the t-shirts are 100% cotton? I bought 50/50 cotton/poly shirts at Michaels---and a Jacquard tie dye kit. But before I spend the time making the Mickey shirts (they are so cute!)--I want to make sure I'm not going to have a problem with the 50/50 shirts. Thanks!

I personally have not tie-dyed on anything that wasn't 100%, so I can't say for certain. From all that I have read, though, 100% cotton material seems to the be most important factor. I think that synthetic materials don't properly absorb the dye. They also say to pre-wash the shirts to remove the sizing (whatever that is), so that they properly absorb the dye. :confused3
I would hate for you to go to all the trouble and then it doesn't dye right b/c of poly. Maybe do a Google search and see if you can find out for sure. Good luck! :thumbsup2

Please post pictures of the "Reversed Tie Dyed' shirt!! That sounds easier... as long as it turns out cute!! :)

Thanks!

i dont have one of a mickey shirt, but i have my girl guide ones with the trefoil. i can take some pics and post em later tonite once i get home!

Please post pictures of the "Reversed Tie Dyed' shirt!! That sounds easier... as long as it turns out cute!! :)

Thanks!

thank you for showing us how to do this. dd is making t shirts for us for our trip in sept. thanks again. now i'll have my mickey tshirt:)

also, last summer dd made tye dye shirts, we bought the 50/50 shirts from micheals and they came out great!

lisa m

here goes, 1st time posting pic to disboards...sorry ti took me so long, couldnt find the shirt!!!

100_0605.jpg
[/IMG]

That's really cute amberg! Thanks for the picture.

I love the original tie dye picture but I'm not sure if I can achieve the wonderful results the OP did. I think I can do the reverse one though.

n/p!!! sorry it took me so long to get a pic up. we do this with the brownies(ages 7 and 8) every year at camp. i know i love the tye dyed version and may just be brave enough to try it!!! but i know if i cant i can do this as a back up!

That's really cute amberg! Thanks for the picture.

I love the original tie dye picture but I'm not sure if I can achieve the wonderful results the OP did. I think I can do the reverse one though.

Ok, after learning how to do it, I gave it a try. This is reverse Tie Dye in the previous posts. I printed a Mickey Head out on printer paper... then I used some packing tape, looped underneath, to keep the Mickey in place. I put 4 rubber bands, one in each corner of the shirt, tie dye style. Spritz with 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach.

This shirt was black, and I could watch it turn a rusty color before my eyes. I DID do it outside, and I moved it in the sun for about 10 seconds. I already had the washing machine ready and with water and detergent added. Removed the bands and washed.

This was soooooooooooo super simple. My daughter said "Ohhh Mommy, I can wear this to AK, it looks like a tiger!! (Of course, it is too big for her, so I told her she could sleep in it!)

(This was an old shirt that I had paint splattered on it... so if you see a white spot in the Mickey Head... that is paint, not from the bleaching effect.)

4787_1163090725621_1478441610_414022_8013719_n.jpg

4787_1163090245609_1478441610_414021_5284128_n.jpg

how cute!!!!

Ok, after learning how to do it, I gave it a try. This is reverse Tie Dye in the previous posts. I printed a Mickey Head out on printer paper... then I used some packing tape, looped underneath, to keep the Mickey in place. I put 4 rubber bands, one in each corner of the shirt, tie dye style. Spritz with 1/2 water and 1/2 bleach.

This shirt was black, and I could watch it turn a rusty color before my eyes. I DID do it outside, and I moved it in the sun for about 10 seconds. I already had the washing machine ready and with water and detergent added. Removed the bands and washed.

This was soooooooooooo super simple.

(This was an old shirt that I had paint splattered on it... so if you see a white spot in the Mickey Head... that is paint, not from the bleaching effect.

4787_1163090725621_1478441610_414022_8013719_n.jpg

4787_1163090245609_1478441610_414021_5284128_n.jpg

Okay, my sis and I have been looking for a couple more ideas for t-shirts for the 15 of us that are going to WDW in two weeks. We were going to do regular tie-dye, and we still will... but seeing the reversed shirts was eye-opening. I think we're going to have to do that!

Thanks so much for the idea.

Rose

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

Here are some I've made...next project is 3 more for the F&W festival, and I'm considering some with different shades of green and red for Christmas..

welcome!!!

Okay, my sis and I have been looking for a couple more ideas for t-shirts for the 15 of us that are going to WDW in two weeks. We were going to do regular tie-dye, and we still will... but seeing the reversed shirts was eye-opening. I think we're going to have to do that!

Thanks so much for the idea.

Rose

those are awesome!!! i'm hoping to try to tyedye before we go...dont have much faith in myself tho!!! :lmao:

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

Here are some I've made...next project is 3 more for the F&W festival, and I'm considering some with different shades of green and red for Christmas..

I did a google search and found some very similar instructions on 'the Mouse for Less" site.
I'm fairly creative and now I'm chomping at the bit to try these. I'm going out tomorrow to get supplies!

Thanks to the OP for posting these instructions. :thumbsup2

My wife and I decided to give it a try and here are the results. We are going to be at the World this Saturday, July 11th and will be wearing them.

Front of my shirt
3695664609_182e1746f4.jpg

Back of my shirt
3696474398_02e5aa4013.jpg

Front of DW's shirt
3695664465_622d09cf42.jpg

Back of DW's shirt
3696474256_66ec793d39.jpg

Those Shirts are awesome! Great Job.
Sorry for not responding, I just got back from the world. I made some tanks for my girls and they turned out perfect. I will post some pics later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter