• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ok, so I'm back to report... after 4 unsuccessful tries back in February to upgrade my tickets to AP post the new pricing, on my first try today at Epcot, I successfully upgraded pre-2017 tickets to current gate price (without using the tickets first) by bridging th and then upgrading to an AP. Originally the CM quoted me the price difference of the ticket and the Gold AP, so I asked if we could bridge them first and she said oh yes, you bought a discounted ticket. So she easily (it seemed!) changed the ticket to current gate and I only paid the difference to the Gold AP! Pixie dust sprinkled!

Ok, so I'm back to report... after 4 unsuccessful tries back in February to upgrade my tickets to AP post the new pricing, on my first try today at Epcot, I successfully upgraded pre-2017 tickets to current gate price (without using the tickets first) by bridging th and then upgrading to an AP. Originally the CM quoted me the price difference of the ticket and the Gold AP, so I asked if we could bridge them first and she said oh yes, you bought a discounted ticket. So she easily (it seemed!) changed the ticket to current gate and I only paid the difference to the Gold AP! Pixie dust sprinkled!

Good outcome!
Thanks for posting.

For those looking in, note that not all attempts will result in a CM bridging a pre-Feb. 12, 2017 ticket to the current ticket price.
(In fact, that's not the normal procedure.)
The "pixie dust" comment is very appropriate in this case.

Good outcome!
Thanks for posting.

For those looking in, note that not all attempts will result in a CM bridging a pre-Feb. 12, 2017 ticket to the current ticket price.
(In fact, that's not the normal procedure.)
The "pixie dust" comment is very appropriate in this case.
After 5 tries, it is definitely not the norm! But it was interesting that it wasn't even an issue this time. (I was prepared for the pre-2017 price difference this time.) The CM did it easily so just makes me wonder what she did vs. all the others that tried before, but I'll take it!

After 5 tries, it is definitely not the norm! But it was interesting that it wasn't even an issue this time. (I was prepared for the pre-2017 price difference this time.) The CM did it easily so just makes me wonder what she did vs. all the others that tried before, but I'll take it!
That's what so strange about it all. It seems when they do bring them up to current price it's very easy, doesn't take any special hurdles or approvals, or any of that. At least not obvious ones. No one else has to come up to approve anything on the computer, they don't get frustrated looks on their faces, have to get on the phone, go ask for help. Nothing out of the ordinary to someone observing them. They just do it. Makes it all the more frustrating/confusing.

That's what so strange about it all. It seems when they do bring them up to current price it's very easy, doesn't take any special hurdles or approvals, or any of that. At least not obvious ones. No one else has to come up to approve anything on the computer, they don't get frustrated looks on their faces, have to get on the phone, go ask for help. Nothing out of the ordinary to someone observing them. They just do it. Makes it all the more frustrating/confusing.
Agree - the first four times, it was like the system was stuck and wouldn't let them bridge to anything current. So I don't understand how this one didn't even have a hiccup and got through without a hitch. It was literally the easiest upgrade I've ever done. Wish they were all so easy (and they I knew what she did, but I wasn't about that I ask!).

We bought AP gold passes for our upcoming trip for 9 nights and 10 days b/c with the DVC discount and adding on memory maker, the cost was about the same and thinking we wouldn't go during the blackout dates anyway if/when we return before they expire. Would upgrading these gold passes to a pass without the blackout dates be possible and would we need to do it before activating or can we do it later if we decide we would like to go during christmas or Easter?

Ok, I know this is probably more effort than I should make, but here is my plan for our upcoming June trip - can you let me know if this is possible? I already have a Gold AP. My two kids (under 10) do not. I have pre-Feb 5 day hoppers for them from UT. But we are going to the park for 6 days and then back again in October so they need an AP. We get into Orlando at 10 pm Sat night, staying at BLT.

1. We cannot upgrade their tickets to an AP at BLT check-in, correct?
2. But we can upgrade their ticket from a 5 day hopper to a 6 day hopper so I can go ahead and make our FPs for day 6 that first night?
3. If I upgrade the tickets from 5 day to 6 day hoppers at BLT, can I then upgrade them again later in the week to an AP? We just have a super busy first day planned and I don't really want to waste time standing in line and dealing with the upgrade that day at MK. I would rather do it on Day 2 or 3 when we have less planned.
4. I understand that we should not count on getting pixie dust and getting the upgrade for $20. So assuming we pay the full pre-Feb to current price for the 5 to 6 day upgrade, the upgrade from the 6 day to AP would then be from the current 6 day hopper price to the Gold member AP price, correct? (We are DVC members).

We bought AP gold passes for our upcoming trip for 9 nights and 10 days b/c with the DVC discount and adding on memory maker, the cost was about the same and thinking we wouldn't go during the blackout dates anyway if/when we return before they expire.
1. Would upgrading these gold passes to a pass without the blackout dates be possible and
2. would we need to do it before activating or
3. can we do it later if we decide we would like to go during christmas or Easter?
1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. Yes. It can be done at any time during the life of the AP.
However, there is no prorating of the cost, even if you only have a few weeks remaining on the original AP.

Ok, I know this is probably more effort than I should make, but here is my plan for our upcoming June trip - can you let me know if this is possible? I already have a Gold AP. My two kids (under 10) do not. I have pre-Feb 5 day hoppers for them from UT. But we are going to the park for 6 days and then back again in October so they need an AP. We get into Orlando at 10 pm Sat night, staying at BLT.

1. We cannot upgrade their tickets to an AP at BLT check-in, correct?
2. But we can upgrade their ticket from a 5 day hopper to a 6 day hopper so I can go ahead and make our FPs for day 6 that first night?
3a. If I upgrade the tickets from 5 day to 6 day hoppers at BLT, can I then upgrade them again later in the week to an AP? We just have a super busy first day planned and I don't really want to waste time standing in line and dealing with the upgrade that day at MK.
3b. I would rather do it on Day 2 or 3 when we have less planned.
4a. I understand that we should not count on getting pixie dust and getting the upgrade for $20. So assuming we pay the full pre-Feb to current price for the 5 to 6 day upgrade,
4b. the upgrade from the 6 day to AP would then be from the current 6 day hopper price to the Gold member AP price, correct? (We are DVC members).

1. Correct. You cannot. No AP dealings at a resort.
2. Yes.
3a. Yes.
3b. You can do as many interim upgrades as you like, up to the maximum number of assets for a single ticket.
4a. Yup.
4b. Correct.

1. Correct. You cannot. No AP dealings at a resort.
2. Yes.
3a. Yes.
3b. You can do as many interim upgrades as you like, up to the maximum number of assets for a single ticket.
4a. Yup.
4b. Correct.
You are SO helpful @Robo - Thank you!!!!!!

where do you need to purchase AP's from? Can you get AP's in advance so you can get the discount on the rooms when you make a reservation? where do you purchase the tables in wonderland ticket after you have your AP?

1. where do you need to purchase AP's from?
2. Can you get AP's in advance so you can get the discount on the rooms when you make a reservation?
3. where do you purchase the tables in wonderland ticket after you have your AP?
1. Directly from Disney. Over the phone or on-line HERE.
2. You do NOT need to already OWN an AP in order to make AP room reservations.
You can book an AP discounted room, and just buy (or activate) your AP after you arrive at WDW.
However, you really should order your AP certificate well before your trip so you can connect it to your MDE account and make FP+ reservations in advance.
3. At Guest Relations. You can buy TiW when you activate your AP at the same Guest Relations.

1. OR, you can order discounted park tickets from an authorized ticket seller (UndercoverTourist.com, ParkSavers.com, etc.) and UPGRADE to AP from those discounted tickets at a Guest Relations after you arrive at WDW.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I asked you all if you had any experience with upgrading tickets purchased through the "magical deal". I wanted to upgrade a Park Hopper to an AP, and I received mixed reviews about whether I could or couldn't. I promised to report back....
I went to Guest Services at the International Gateway the day of our arrival last week, and asked the CM about upgrading it. All he did was scan the magic band, he saw the ticket, upgraded it with no questions or problems at all, I paid the difference, he linked it to the MDE account for us, and that was it, it took about two minutes....so easy! So, the answer is, YES it can be done, and quite easily as a matter of fact! :goodvibes

1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. Yes. It can be done at any time during the life of the AP.
However, there is no prorating of the cost, even if you only have a few weeks remaining on the original AP.

Thanks! So helpful. I did try reading through the sticky but just couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry if this has already been answered. I checked, but didn't see it.

Our family of six purchased the minimum park hopper (2 day park hoppers each) required to get the free dining promotion. These tickets were purchased in April after the recent price increase. We don't normally park hop, so we wanted to see about changing our two day park hoppers into 3 day base tickets. My questions are:

(1) Is this even possible? I checked the prices and it appears it would be a roughly $33 upgrade per person if I'm understanding this correctly; and
(2) If it is, do we need to do it before we enter any parks or just before we use the park hopper feature? Thank you in advance for any insight!

Sorry if this has already been answered. I checked, but didn't see it.

Our family of six purchased the minimum park hopper (2 day park hoppers each) required to get the free dining promotion. These tickets were purchased in April after the recent price increase. We don't normally park hop, so we wanted to see about changing our two day park hoppers into 3 day base tickets. My questions are:

(1) Is this even possible? I checked the prices and it appears it would be a roughly $33 upgrade per person if I'm understanding this correctly; and
(2) If it is, do we need to do it before we enter any parks or
(3) just before we use the park hopper feature? Thank you in advance for any insight!

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter