Thumbs down on Coral Reef

"Assuming you didn't have questions about how you could use the DDP, what would happen if you didn't tell them you were on it until it was time to pay?"

When we ate there twice this April/May, that was not an option. The server came to our table both times and the first thing both servers said was a greeting and are you on any dining plan? And both times they asked to see our card to see what type of plan we were on. This was the only place we were asked to actually produce our room cards so the server could see what "markings" it had on it before ordering.

n2mm said:
When we ate there twice this April/May, that was not an option. The server came to our table both times and the first thing both servers said was a greeting and are you on any dining plan? And both times they asked to see our card to see what type of plan we were on. This was the only place we were asked to actually produce our room cards so the server could see what "markings" it had on it before ordering.

I know we always had to specify Premium when we went in July 2005. Of course, it was fairly new then and I think 95% of the people on a plan were on the basic dining plan because most people would question me when I said Premium (to confirm it was Premium and not basic). The only place I had to show our cards at was the Rainforest Cafe (since the Premium includes a lot more restaraunts and I don't think that's included on the basic one).

I was actually able to pay for my 2 year old's sit-down meals with the extra credits we had (which we had 3 adults/2 kids on the cards), no one questioned it or had a problem but of course, that was when it was fairly new.

Sorry you had a bad server. We were there a couple of weeks ago. We had a table by the tank, a great server, and a fantastic meal. Our server was very nice and attentive (we were on the DDP). We payed OOP for one DS (dining plan for the other) and ordered dessert when we were ready for it with no problems at all. It was our favorite TS of the entire trip.

We ate at Concourse on the DDP In October and we didn't have to order all at once. That would chap my behind. Not to mention that we don't like to allow DS dessert unless he eats at least SOME of his food. We found at CRT that you really dine on "fast forward" since the appetizers and desserts are standard. They bring the appetizer, you tell them your entree, they bring the entree, then they bring dessert, ready or not - here it comes!! I don't really want to hand over control of my meal to the server.

We have ADRs for Coral Reef and Whispering Canyon next month and I think it would be best if they don't tell me to order everything up front. It's not McDonald's! I like the idea of saying "I won't know what I want for dessert until I have finished my entree."

And really, if they get totally snippy with me we have more TS ADRs than we have credits. As long as it's not like our last day I can very easily switch to paying OOP if I don't like their attitude. We have to pay OOP for 4 meals anyway, and if they are rude to me then OOP will guarantee that the tip will be far less than 18%. THEN whose behind would be chapped? ;)

We ate at both Coral Reef and Whispering Canyon in June and did not have to order our dessert until after the meal.

Both restaurants were excellent and made it onto our "must return here" list.

I've found that, even when faced with a structure like that, a polite, firm and reasonable reply tends to diffuse the dispute. I believe I could readily state, "We're not sure what desserts we'll want to order, so we'll have you take our dessert orders after we're finished with our meals." "If there is a problem, I'll be happy to talk to the manager about it. Please send him or her over."

Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

One of the reasons I have been reluctant to use the dining plan. I like to be flexible.

Hmmm... well it's pretty flexible right now, and that's kind-of the problem: Right now, the Dining Plan is just TOO MUCH of a good deal. I suspect we'll see more restrictions and/or higher prices so that the value of the Dining Plan is more in line with its price.

When we go in October, I will go the route Bicker suggested, I always try nice first. I love the dining plan and think it is flexible. The debate that rages on about the DPP leaves me a little bewildered.

We, too, were asked for our dessert order when we gave our appetizer and entree' order, but being the first night on the DP, we thought maybe that was just how it works. Other than that minor annoyance, the service was so perfect that not only did we leave an extra trip, but my 12 y/o son left a personal thank-you note for our server on the magna-doodle she had brought out for my toddler.

At Whispering Canyon the second night, we started to give our dessert order and our server said "Oh, I'll come back later for that" We explained what happened at Coral Reef and she said, "If anyone ever asks you for your dessert order before you've eaten, you just send them to me." :lmao:

I would just say," ok... this is going to take a really long time to order :confused3 or you can come back for each part of the meal." I also want to make sure the server comes back for refills and other aspects of server related duties. :)

I just wanted to add that we loved having the dining plan in all the other places we went, including CS and Snacks. With 5 kids, 3 of whom are teenagers, it made it so much easier to split up and know that they could eat when they wanted. We only made sure to be together for TS meals.
The whole trip was fantastic - loved Old Key West!
Funny footnote to Coral Reef story - we paid our liquor tab, and signed everything and left the restaurant. 5 minutes after we left, we heard our server calling us - we were out in the park already! She followed us out because she forgot to give us the bill for 2 drinks. I gave her the $20.00 and we all stood outside and laughed until we could get hold of ourselves and get out of the park. This will definitely be one of our favorite stories of our Disney adventures!
Laurie, DH David, DD 19, DD 16, DS 14, DD 11, DS 4 :teeth:

I have been in the rest. business for 34 years. I have never heard of such a thing. This will be our 3rd time on the dinning plan and I like to relax at dinner. I think all Disney rest. try to rush the diners to turn the tables over. The way I handle it is we order a drink and don't even open the menu until the server brings the drinks to the table. Then we tell them we havn't looked yet and need a few more minutes. When they come back we order apps. only explaining we have not yet decided on our entree. We always make our ADR's around 8:00 or later so we know we won't really be holding up the table. Don't get me wrong, we arent there all night, just not out in a flash.
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm getting a little fearful about menu prices. With the 2007 Dining Plan prices not yet available, and with menu prices able to change at any time, combined with how packed the restaurants already are, it seems to me that Disney has two rational choices: Make changes that compress how much time each party of diners get, or increase prices significantly to better manage the demand. I'm not really sure which I'd prefer, higher prices or being rushed.

TBGOES2DISNEY said:
Assuming you didn't have questions about how you could use the DDP, what would happen if you didn't tell them you were on it until it was time to pay?
The bill has to be recalculated and it takes a few minutes. This happened to us at Prime Time in December, our waiter ddint' really make a big deal out of it, but it did take him a few minutes to reenter the bill into the computer and recalcualte it, I believe this also involves the manager. I'll bet they ask upfront now to avoid the recalculation and need for manager intervention. We did mention it to the hostess, but I guess with the antics and a larger group we neglected to mention it to the server.

I was never asked at any of the TS restaurants to order my dessert ahead of time. We dined at San Angel, Le Cellier (2xs), Coral Reef, Cape May, Maya Grill & the Concourse Steakhouse.

Hope this was just an isolated incident!

I would suggest staying far away from the Coral Reef. The service in June was horrible and the food either lukewarm, raw, or inedible. I won't mention the CM's name, but she was the worst (including speaking harshly to the children for sharing food we paid for). Anyway, the dining plan worked great except at the Coral Reef. Luckily it is only a one-table service meal instead of two. It is the worst restaurant I have ever eaten at inside or outside the World.

Wow, sorry about all that. We had no problem at all and we were on DDP. It was actually our favorite restaurant of all.

~LuLu

pharmom5 said:
We thought Coral Reef definitely treated us differently because we had DDP. First of all, we had an extra kid's meal credit because my son had slept through OHana's, so for Coral Reef we wanted to let my 11 year old daughter get a kid's meal, which she wanted anyway, a kid's meal for our 4 year old, and let my daughter's boyfriend have the adult meal. In other words, our card said 6 adults, 1 child, we wanted to do 6 adults, 2 children - not cheating the system, just using our meals at a different time. Waitress insisted we had to do just as our card said - 6 adults, 1 child. She did let us pay for 1 kid's meal, but I didn't think this was how it was done - what if we had split up for dinner? :confused3
Other issue I thought was terrible here was that because we were on the DDP, she made us order appetizer, entree and DESSERT all at the same time at the beginning of the meal. She had it on some special order form, and when we asked if we could wait to order dessert until after dinner, she said no!! Hard to know what dessert you'll want before you've had a bite to eat. I doubt they make you order dessert ahead if you're paying. So we'll never go to Coral Reef again - all the food was just okay. Go to Le Cellier twice instead - that was the best!
Laurie, DH David, DD 19, DD 16, DS 14, DD 11, DS 4

Wow! You had a totally different experience than we did in May. Coral Reef was the one resturant that treated us the best. Best Food, best service, and our waiter let us order one course at a time. He was so great. Also our service at LeCellier was not very good. Food was good but not as good as Coral Reefs. It really just depends on the service you get in most of these places. We will do Coral Reef every time if our service remains good.

WOW, I have to say that I also dinned at the Coral Reef on the dinning plan in the first week in June and it was one of our (my mother, daughter and I) favorite meals. My daughter even got to order her appetizer off of the adult menu because there children's menu did not have one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter