Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Three retro things I am grateful for are:
1. My Pyrex bowl sets. My mom used them when we were growing up and I have purchased my own over the years at tag sales and auctions. I use them almost every day.

2. Pen and paper. I like to make handwritten lists. I know a lot of people put everything into their phones, but there are times that I want a paper copy that I can carry with me. It helps me to see things more clearly and I can spread things out in front of me on paper.

3. Older comedians, movies and TV shows that were not so afraid of offending someone with their humor. We all have to tiptoe around these days. Love George Carlin and Steven Wright, may they both RIP.
Steven Wright is still alive! I am a big fan :)

Retro things...

DVDs (not that they are really retro, but try to find a player for them!)
Landline for the phone
OK... we still have and use a typewriter. Believe it or not, I have some forms that still have carbon copies that have to be filled out by hand. Here I thought I was the Luddite, not having a cell phone, hahaha!

Good Morning! :wave:

#1 - Entyvio - This is the medicine I get, by infusion, for my Ulcerative Colitis. This medicine has been a huge life changer for me and I am so so grateful. A new pen has just been released so I can inject this to myself at home. My doctor says I’m a good candidate for it, so I may give it a try.

#2 - Space Studies - We went to Kennedy Space Center last year and I learned a lot. We also saw 2 launches last year, which was awesome to see. I’m hoping we’ll see another launch in a couple weeks when we’re in the Cape Canaveral area.

#3 - Medical Advancements - I find them all amazing and I’m grateful for all of them.

I fought endometriosis for decades the advancements were made from the start of my journey through menopause were just astronomically amazing The difference between our first surgery and my last was unbelievable such a major improvement I hope they continue improving in this area

The ability to be able to track weather and keep people safer and more alert is a huge game changer again the difference now versus when I was a kid is just mind blowing It literally saves lives - more warning systems you know what’s coming you know when it’s coming You know where it’s coming huge difference from back in the day when it was look outside and see what’s going on

And I will say immunizations I think they are a great thing I had an aunt that had polio would’ve been great if she could’ve had her immunization not her polo but it wasn’t around when she was a young adult and caught polio - I respect peoples choices to choose or not choose even if I don’t understand their decision but find it extremely scary that a lot of these diseases are making such a huge comeback but I do understand it’s a personal choice

Definitely medical advancements along with your great reminder WDWEPCOT that having better weather knowledge indeed helps keep people safer. Extra :grouphug:and healthy prayers to you and Slo.

Inventions such as walkers, scooters and the Grabber my friend Sue uses that help give people a stronger sense of faith, optimidm, and moving forward.

Greater ability to share medical and healing hope with one another is a miracle, too.

Vaccines- People used to die from a lot of "stuff" that we don't even see anymore. DD was amazed when I told her about measles, or when DH and his siblings had whooping cough and scarlet fever.

Immunotherapy- Things like stem cell therapy and such.

Space exploration- As you might have guessed by now, we are a "science" family so have always been fascinated by space exploration, but these days, to see pictures from the surface of other planets, as well as what else is out there, is incredible to us. To infinity and beyond!

1. Joint replacements - Over the past few years, my dad has had both his hip and shoulder replaced. His quality of life has improved significantly with both surgeries. He needed an ECV and wheelchair assistance when we were at Disney in 2021. While he's not out running marathons, he now can walk the parks without assistance and can sleep comfortably without raging shoulder pain.

2. Cancer treatments - While I could rattle off a bunch of names, myself and my mother are the first ones that come to mind. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in her 40s and through the advancements in medicine, we're lucky to have her with us today. She just got another clean bill of health on her recent mammogram. I'm hoping for the same on the one I had done earlier this week.

3. Antibiotics - From the kids when they had ear infections and all of the other unpleasant ailments we've faced to the life threatening infection in my surgical wound...I'm grateful for antibiotics. I might not be here today without those strong IV antibiotics.

So, I guess all of my scientific advancement gratitude is in medicine!

***Side note- everyone yesterday saying Pyrex kept me hearing Midge/The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel pushing to get her Pyrex back from her bribery briskets. All of my Pyrex is boring and clear 🤣
1709132914357.png

Last edited:
Birth Control - first line of treatment for endometriosis!! Thank God my mother won that fight over my father I won’t go into details but I consider a huge blessing that I got put on it at a very young age ( again not for birth control- way to young for THAT) and I could actually get my life back!!! Greatest thing ever!!! No more painful visits from Auntie Flow for several years !!! Then she came and brought ALL the Aunts and never left 🤣🤣🤣 but still used them for that for treatment for next several decades !! Great line of treatment compared to other medicine they have for it !!

3 Scientific Advancements I am grateful for:
1. Cancer treatments: when I was diagnosed, it was very comforting to hear my oncologist talking about how there were more options today than years ago.
2. Improvements in car safety and in creating less pollution.
3. My practically invisible and very modern hearing aids. :)

I very nice upgrade once at a hotel before my very first Disney cruise - I didn’t ask for the upgrade- the front desk gave it to me.
Twice on cash trips I’ve been upgraded at Disney without asking again very nice !!!

Picked for family to open Brown Derby - so much fun !!! 🤩 treated like movie stars !! It was a cute fun little perk !! Made for a very happy memory!!!

My dentist at the time was out of town and I had a tooth abscess at the time I didn’t know that was the issue I just knew I had a horrible toothache!! After suffering all week the Dentist taking his calls opened his office on a Sunday morning and did a root canal on me ( just me & the dentist - I’m handing him tools ) and refused to charge me or my insurance a dime for any of it !! 😳 needless to say this man became my new dentist until he retired some 20 years later best dentist I ever had !!

You know how when you are super-stressed over some major life event and you just kind of pour it out to a kind stranger who asked "how's your day going?" That happened when DH was in the nursing home. He'd had knee surgery that, quite literally, rotted, and was bedridden in a nursing home on IV antibiotics to try and save his leg. I was at Trader Joe's, buying regular things but a lot of junky-stuff for DH, to try to lift his spirits. The cashier said something like- "How's your day? Looks like you're planning a party!" and I poured out the whole story. He rang thru my purchases, then had a supervisor come over. They didn't charge me for any of the stuff I was buying for DH! It certainly was so, so kind of them, and lifted my spirits!

Similar instance at TJ's, before DD's wedding. The night before the wedding the weather forecast changed from sun to rain, so we bought an arch and hit Trader Joe's for flowers to use for decorating. It was late Saturday afternoon so the pickings were slim, but we found enough hydrangeas and other affordable flowers/greenery to make do. When the cashier commented on all the flowers, I explained what we were doing. He said "wait here" and ran off, bringing back an entire bouquet of roses "for the bride!"

Gotta go to work.. but I am always grateful to the folks who let me and my 3 items into the grocery store ahead of them and their full baskets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter