Thread for allergy foods updates

Cathicool, what are his allergies and at which restaurants are your ADRs? Which restaurant told you to change our ADR? Maybe between the group of us we can offer you some reassurances or recommendations. You might actually want to start a new thread though as your post is buries in this long one and is more likely to be missed this way.

Thanks, I did post this as a "new topic".

DS only eats organic food to minimize cross-contamination.
He is allergic to:

airborne and ingestion allergy to Corn

ingestion "only" to
Dairy
Gluten
Soy
Lamb
Lettuce
Quinoa
Pear
Peach
Apple
Citrus
All Artificial Colors
All Artificial Preservatives
Egg white and yolk....can tolerate small amounts if necessary- but definitely can't eat eggs for breakfast, for example.

I know what it is like to feed him. I do it everyday. Maybe it is asking too much....it's just that it wasn't in the past. Sorry, just frazzled!

Thanks, I did post this as a "new topic".

DS only eats organic food to minimize cross-contamination.
He is allergic to:

airborne and ingestion allergy to Corn

ingestion "only" to
Dairy
Gluten
Soy
Lamb
Lettuce
Quinoa
Pear
Peach
Apple
Citrus
All Artificial Colors
All Artificial Preservatives
Egg white and yolk....can tolerate small amounts if necessary- but definitely can't eat eggs for breakfast, for example.

I know what it is like to feed him. I do it everyday. Maybe it is asking too much....it's just that it wasn't in the past. Sorry, just frazzled!

Although Disney lists corn as one of the allergies now on the dining reservation, I believe that most do not really understand a corn allergy nor is it listed on labels.

I am not going to risk eating much at Disney due to my corn allergy plus most of the ones you have listed above with some more thrown in. I didn't book any places with characters. My "children" are in college and want to do those so they are going alone. I am making sure I have food with me to eat.

I can understand why you are so frazzled.

It's going to be an interesting trip for us that's for sure. I am still taking my pre printed list to hand the chef in hopes that they can make me something...even if it's only some warm rice.

It will be interesting if I hear anything from special diets after I email my long form with our adrs on it.

Hey, everyone! I got a call today from Chef Dan at AoA (he used to be at POP) regarding our upcoming trip. He was awesome and the most friendly chef I have spoken with. I asked him if there was a chance at me getting some Ener-G hamburger buns in a week and a half and he said that they have had them again for a few months but that he just got an email yesterday that they are once again getting rid of Ener-G brand and going with a new brand called "Gluten Not Included" or "GNI." He told me he thought they were egg free so they'd probably safe but he actually had not laid eyes on them yet. As soon as we hung up I got online and they do have egg whites in them :worried:. I can't have ANY egg so I was bummed. Depending on the product, the ingredient list also states soy and milk products are used. I can't have gluten, dairy, egg, soy, flax, peanut and lots more but I CAN have almost all of Ener-G brand's stuff. I just don't know why they wouldn't cater to the most people if possible. BUT, I am sure this new brand tastes better and might be an option for those with less common allergies (like tapioca) so I will just remember Disney World without a hamburger bun is still Disney World... sigh, I was just hoping for a non bunless trip! :rotfl:

Just wanted to pass the info along for anyone who is interested! Here is the link to GNI:
http://www.gnibakery.com/gluten-free-baking-ingredients-a/138.htm

BOO!!!!! DS is allergic to eggs and nuts, because of the nut cross contamination in the regular bread products, they usually give him the Ener-G bread products. I think I'm emailing special diets and finding out what is up with all these brand changes! --Katie

BOO!!!!! DS is allergic to eggs and nuts, because of the nut cross contamination in the regular bread products, they usually give him the Ener-G bread products. I think I'm emailing special diets and finding out what is up with all these brand changes! --Katie

Yeah what the heck is up with all of the vendor changes! :confused3
Someone just posted on my facebook page that the chefs at Poly were telling them about the GNI products but couldn't show them any packaging. I would have expected a change from Udi's to another product that was more inclusive of allergies, not some of the same issues. Personally, I don't understand. I mean, I like Udi's but I do think they should have a few options (like Ener-G rolls) to cover various allergies. Anyone know if they are dumping Udi's completely? I was just at Boma two weeks ago and they had Udis, so I'm very confused on the changes.

I think I need to make a field trip to Disney before my Halloween party visit at the end of Sept. Not that I need an excuse... :lmao:

Honestly of they can't show me the package on something I will and refuse to show me and ingredient list I am not going to eat that. Mama Mia's tried that with me with cheesecake once (pre diagnosis with dairy allergy) and I sent it back. I knew I could not have the sweetener in it. It was sugarfree but sweetened with a sugar alcohol and aspartame when the tried to serve it to me at Crystal Palace and I wasn't will to take the risk.

:mad:

:mad:

So I have come to accept this is our last trip to disney. :sad1: We leave in 2 days, I still don't have all of my son's food worked out and most locations can't (won't?) accomodate him. So I am bringing food to a bunch of restaurants, but they won't heat any of it up and in 90 degree weather, I can't take the risk of not having a cooler full of ice to carry his food in, so his food will be cold when it is time to eat it. If this had been conveyed to me sooner, I would not have planned the trip. But to be into it now for airfare, park tickets, accomodations, etc....plus the disappointment of my other 2 kids would be a travesty.

I'm totally stressed out:headache:.....and I'm sure I will be, the whole "vacation". So sad......:sad1:

I honestly wouldn't abandon Disney because of this. It will just require different strategies. I bring a cooler every trip with stuff I can eat. Sure that means I eat cold food instead of hot much of the time but I do have food I can eat and not be sick and still control my blood sugar levels.

I honestly wouldn't abandon Disney because of this. It will just require different strategies. I bring a cooler every trip with stuff I can eat. Sure that means I eat cold food instead of hot much of the time but I do have food I can eat and not be sick and still control my blood sugar levels.

I second this.

Does anyone have the phone number to special diets? I seem to have lost it and, of course, can't find it on their website. Thanks!

Does anyone have the phone number to special diets? I seem to have lost it and, of course, can't find it on their website. Thanks!

(407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) will be able to direct you.

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, and I didn't catch it.

I just got an email from WDW special diets, and they currently consider none of their fryers to be dedicated or low-allergen. They're concerned about cross contamination during the filtration process, and all fryer oil is assumed to be contaminated with gluten, eggs and dairy.

Interesting. I've spoken with different chefs and managers about this specific thing. Each location has their own way of handling this. Anywhere that combines the oil for cleaning doesn't list their fryers as allergen free and will bake their items that would normally be fried, such as fries and chicken tenders but there are a few places that do say they have dedicated fryers and don't combine oil for cleaning.

At CHH for instance the manager seemed to really understand the concern as she explained to me that while they do combine the oil at night for cleaning, they put fresh oil in the allergy fryer in the morning. She did also say that the tools that they use for cleaning the fryer are used in all fryers so it really is up to the individual to decide if this is safe or poses a cross contamination risk.

Talk to the folks working at each location. They'll know what they do and will bake the items if there isn't a safe fryer.

While we were there a couple weeks ago, the manager at Backlot express told us they had dedicated fryers.
To be fair though, they tried to serve DS the regular chicken tenders insisting they were the right ones, took over 45 minutes to get us ANY food while there were only about 4 people in the place, and I watched a girl put fries on some plates, get tired of waiting for the burgers to be ready and then toss them all back into the main basket of fries, only to put them on other plates a few minutes later. They were obviously training new kitchen staff and the people out front were panicking because they were going so slow and messing up every order. A girl ordered a burger with only bacon and it took them 4 tries to make it right. (at about 5 minutes per try)
So who knows what the "dedicated fryers" reply was worth. I didn't have much faith in them that day.

Bumping for any updates on Udi-gate. Yes, I've named the problem ;). Anyone seen egg and nut free bread options lately??! --Katie

Bumping for any updates on Udi-gate. Yes, I've named the problem ;). Anyone seen egg and nut free bread options lately??! --Katie

lol Udi-Gate...that's a great name for it. Gonna have to remember that :lmao:

From the chefs I've talked to recently, Udi's is on permanent contract (whatever that means in terms of permanent) but that they are incorporating some other brands. I haven't seen Ener-G yet, but I thought I read about some others getting them. I do know that the rolls at some locations are now GNI Brand and they also have egg in them.

Sorry I can't help anymore!

Katie- It's not a lot, but I think the regular hamburger and hot dog buns are egg and nut free. I thought they were shipped in rather than made at the Disney bakery like the other rolls and buns that aren't nut safe. We haven't had them in the past because they contain milk, but we do baked milk now so I'm hoping we can get burgers and dogs on them.

Does anyone have feedback on eating at the F&W festival (specifically gluten free)? I've only seen one thread so far. Has anybody else eaten there yet? I'm going for the final weekend, and I'd love to hear if Disney's "unofficial even though we posted it on our blog" gluten fee map was accurate.

valree said:
Does anyone have feedback on eating at the F&W festival (specifically gluten free)? I've only seen one thread so far. Has anybody else eaten there yet? I'm going for the final weekend, and I'd love to hear if Disney's "unofficial even though we posted it on our blog" gluten fee map was accurate.

I've had the corn arepas from the Florida stand and the lettuce wrap from South Korea without any problems. Can't judge on the rest of the list though.

I've been to the Florida booth with success, but not any others. I have heard some first hand reports from friends who used the list at other booths and they have been ok so far.

Just got back on Sunday. I'm gluten/egg/dairy/tomato/peanut free. Mine are ingestion allergies and not Celiac so I'm not sensitive to cross contamination, but can get sick or feel icky if I eat something.

I had the lettuce wrap at South Korea, the shrimp on the barbie from Australia and the kielbasa only from Poland. Honestly, the only time I got sick the whole trip was after lunch at Catina La De San Angel (they apparently use tomato in their pulled chicken)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter