• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on the changes WDW/DL are making to the DAS pass?

Yes, but that board is very selective about what you're allowed to discuss. It's a very one sided conversation. I'm not sure what the OP is hoping for out of the discussion, but if it's a broad range of views, this should probably be posted on the Controversial Board where everyone is allowed to post their views without being reprimanded.
It was meant to be informative but you make a good point.

@WebmasterCorey , could you move this thread to the Controversial Board? Thanks in advance. 😊 👍

There are many different types of mobility devices besides just wheelchairs and ECVs. Disney offers those because that's what they rent, but a guest is welcome to bring their own mobility device of pretty much any type. The new announcement even mentions that a "cane seat" is acceptable now.
I need to look into this.. but these are a bit unstable I believe so not sure if my mom can use these. but will take a look. I was looking at someting like this. I wonder if these are allowed...

1713865789616.png

I kind of agree with this. Not every vacation or ride is appropriate for everyone. I get terrible motion sickness & a paralyzing fear of heights. I will never take a cruise because I’m afraid of seasickness. Nor will I climb a mountain or stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon. So I don’t take vacations to those places. I go to WDW often. But there are plenty of rides I have to skip… I don’t do any roller coasters or Tower of Terror. I make choices appropriate for me. If the line for Peter Pan’s Flight triggers your claustrophobia, maybe you have to skip that ride. If having to skip too much doesn’t work for you, that might not be the right vacation spot for you.

I kind of agree with this. Not every vacation or ride is appropriate for everyone. I get terrible motion sickness & a paralyzing fear of heights. I will never take a cruise because I’m afraid of seasickness. Nor will I climb a mountain or stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon. So I don’t take vacations to those places. I go to WDW often. But there are plenty of rides I have to skip… I don’t do any roller coasters or Tower of Terror. I make choices appropriate for me. If the line for Peter Pan’s Flight triggers your claustrophobia, maybe you have to skip that ride. If having to skip too much doesn’t work for you, that might not be the right vacation spot for you.
I think of it quite differently—if an individual struggles with any of these issues (heat intolerance, GAD, claustrophobia, etc) which prevents them from accessing an attraction/store/restaurant/etc and SOME TYPE of accommodation allows them to participate in the activities that they enjoy, who are we to say they should not be granted that opportunity “Well, maybe DisneyWorld isn’t the right place for you” is the exact type of statement that highlights why these programs/protections exist in the 1st place. Using this same logic, one could say “why would anyone who may have to use the restroom every 10 minutes ever put themselves in a position where they would not have access to a toilet? Maybe, a theme park is not a place for you.” The point of these programs/policies is to prevent someone’s individual impairments/restrictions/limitations from becoming a handicap.

I think of it quite differently—if an individual struggles with any of these issues (heat intolerance, GAD, claustrophobia, etc) which prevents them from accessing an attraction/store/restaurant/etc and SOME TYPE of accommodation allows them to participate in the activities that they enjoy, who are we to say they should not be granted that opportunity “Well, maybe DisneyWorld isn’t the right place for you” is the exact type of statement that highlights why these programs/protections exist in the 1st place. Using this same logic, one could say “why would anyone who may have to use the restroom every 10 minutes ever put themselves in a position where they would not have access to a toilet? Maybe, a theme park is not a place for you.” The point of these programs/policies is to prevent someone’s individual impairments/restrictions/limitations from becoming a handicap.

But it is the same.

Disney is a luxury optional vacation destination, just like the Grand Canyon, Cruises, European tours or any other vacation destination. If we are in a position to go on a vacation, WE are responsible for managing our needs within the constrict of the destination we choose, and what they offer.

Disney will meet the legal requirements of accommodation just like it always had. Unfortunately Disney allowed their DAS program to get out of control, overused, abused and it has impacted operations. They have been going above and beyond what is required, and now they need to get it under control and move back towards a manageable program. It is not their job to manage our needs. They have stated they will work with folks to try to offer some kind of assistance if appropriate but guests will not be able to choose DAS just because that is what they want. I think people tend to interpret "access" in a broad and more elevated level than the law intends or requires.

WE do have choices to make for our own well being, WE do need to choose locations that WE can manage, WE do need to manage our own issues within the offerings of any location .... and sometimes that means some things are just not for us. Our family has to make choices and adjust our plans as needed. It is our life on a daily basis and it is no different at Disney where we skip locations and attractions, do half days, leave lines and at times lose entire days off our trip.

Back to OP's question ~ I do believe the system is in serious need of an overhaul and I do believe that Disney has all the data and info they need to justify it. I think the expanding of their offerings over time has impacted the LL considerably (I know when we go many around us are using DAS), and devalued the Genie+ for many guests. If they are planning on expanding G+ to allow prebooking as hinted to, this will make it even worse. With everything being on MDE Disney does have all they need to know who and how they are impacting the lines. Disney will no doubt be in legal compliance and guests need to be prepared for the change.

But it is the same.

Disney is a luxury optional vacation destination, just like the Grand Canyon, Cruises, European tours or any other vacation destination. If we are in a position to go on a vacation, WE are responsible for managing our needs within the constrict of the destination we choose, and what they offer.

Disney will meet the legal requirements of accommodation just like it always had. Unfortunately Disney allowed their DAS program to get out of control, overused, abused and it has impacted operations. They have been going above and beyond what is required, and now they need to get it under control and move back towards a manageable program. It is not their job to manage our needs. They have stated they will work with folks to try to offer some kind of assistance if appropriate but guests will not be able to choose DAS just because that is what they want. I think people tend to interpret "access" in a broad and more elevated level than the law intends or requires.

WE do have choices to make for our own well being, WE do need to choose locations that WE can manage, WE do need to manage our own issues within the offerings of any location .... and sometimes that means some things are just not for us. Our family has to make choices and adjust our plans as needed. It is our life on a daily basis and it is no different at Disney where we skip locations and attractions, do half days, leave lines and at times lose entire days off our trip.

Back to OP's question ~ I do believe the system is in serious need of an overhaul and I do believe that Disney has all the data and info they need to justify it. I think the expanding of their offerings over time has impacted the LL considerably (I know when we go many around us are using DAS), and devalued the Genie+ for many guests. If they are planning on expanding G+ to allow prebooking as hinted to, this will make it even worse. With everything being on MDE Disney does have all they need to know who and how they are impacting the lines. Disney will no doubt be in legal compliance and guests need to be prepared for the change.
I agree completely with the need for an overhaul. LLs greater than 30 minutes have an adverse effect on all. I agree that the whole DAS system is out of control and needs significant restructuring. Personally I would gut the whole thing and start fresh. Disney can set up any type of program they see fit—I have no problem with any of that. You are also right that we all have choices to make based on our own very specific, individualized circumstances. It is our responsibility to prepare, research, plan, , make modifications as needed, etc when planning any outing or vacation. Sure, some may decide that a trip to a theme park is not right for them, but others may think differently. This is where my point of contention comes in—it’s not MY PLACE to decide what is right or wrong for someone else and their loved ones or to tell them that “maybe Disney isn’t the right place for you”. In the end, it’s a personal choice one makes—and if Disney provides SOME SORT of accommodation (as I stated it), whatever that may be, to allow for that access, it’s that individuals responsibility to assess if that system works for them. To simply say “well maybe Disney isn’t right for you” highlights the exact reason why these various accommodations even exist in the first place: not to provide a superior experience but to make that experience even accessible at all.

There are a few things Disney could do that would stop the cheating & allow those with physical disabilities to receive the same treatment as those who currently qualify for DAS. Unfortunately, previous experience on the disabilities board makes me hesitant to discuss that here.

I agree completely with the need for an overhaul. LLs greater than 30 minutes have an adverse effect on all. I agree that the whole DAS system is out of control and needs significant restructuring. Personally I would gut the whole thing and start fresh. Disney can set up any type of program they see fit—I have no problem with any of that. You are also right that we all have choices to make based on our own very specific, individualized circumstances. It is our responsibility to prepare, research, plan, , make modifications as needed, etc when planning any outing or vacation. Sure, some may decide that a trip to a theme park is not right for them, but others may think differently. This is where my point of contention comes in—it’s not MY PLACE to decide what is right or wrong for someone else and their loved ones or to tell them that “maybe Disney isn’t the right place for you”. In the end, it’s a personal choice one makes—and if Disney provides SOME SORT of accommodation (as I stated it), whatever that may be, to allow for that access, it’s that individuals responsibility to assess if that system works for them. To simply say “well maybe Disney isn’t right for you” highlights the exact reason why these various accommodations even exist in the first place: not to provide a superior experience but to make that experience even accessible at all.
I agree that is a personal decision to make. We've made that decision some years when DS issues needed more work on our part for a successful trip.

I think the reason folks are saying that is because we now have a large number of people saying they can no longer go to Disney unless they are given the DAS, they are owed the DAS, that it is the only thing that works for them (in their opinion) and are claiming Disney is violating their rights. The response they will likely hear given the current situation is - if Disney is not offering this person the DAS as an accommodation and since they stated they can not go without it ~ find somewhere else to go and enjoy. It isn't making the decision or telling them what to do, it is supporting their own claims that they can't go without it.

The person in the article is a perfect example of someone who wants the DAS but also says she can go without it??? She wants it because it is a "superior experience" but she can use tools to go without it. My DS loves baseball games but can no longer go ... unless he is in a sound protected booth/suite. So ... he doesn't go because the team isn't obligated to give him a superior experience.

Again, accessible is something Disney is working on expanding their options - that are more conducive to operations, and for many it will not be a DAS. Everyone should be excited about vacation, enjoy their vacation and go home with good memories. If folks are stating upfront their trip will be awful and ruined if the destination doesn't give them something they want, then why go? That is why folks are saying that ~ not to be mean, but to support the opinion they can not go.

Last edited:
My hope is this:

Disney (WDW specifically) is able to improve functionality of LL and standby by offering workable alternatives while also reducing the need for high numbers of non-disabled guests to be DAS attached through their party.

If they can put a dent in at least some of it, maybe that makes a snowball effect in the opposite direction from what happened post-Covid DAS. If more lines become manageable and G+ works better, I think more people could find successful strategies for themselves without assistance. Similar to accounts of FP+ in combo with other methods that kept some from needing to request DAS back then.

My hope is this:

Disney (WDW specifically) is able to improve functionality of LL and standby by offering workable alternatives while also reducing the need for high numbers of non-disabled guests to be DAS attached through their party.

If they can put a dent in at least some of it, maybe that makes a snowball effect in the opposite direction from what happened post-Covid DAS. If more lines become manageable and G+ works better, I think more people could find successful strategies for themselves without assistance. Similar to accounts of FP+ in combo with other methods that kept some from needing to request DAS back then.
I don't understand what the bold refers to? Sorry for being clueless, sometimes I just need someone to tell it to me like I'm five.

I don't understand what the bold refers to? Sorry for being clueless, sometimes I just need someone to tell it to me like I'm five.
Currently DAS allows the person with the disability plus up to 5 additional members of their party to enter the LL with the DAS Return Time. That will be cut back to a max of 4; so the person with a disability plus 3 additional members of their party, with limited exceptions for larger immediate family (expected to be parents + minor children).

Workable alternatives for one DAS holder means the non-disable guests in that party are no longer attached to DAS usage. That’s another way to reduce the need. Those non-disabled don’t need it for themselves, they need it to join their DAS member. If the disabled member now has a different way to handle their needs, the reduction of DAS usage is not only them but the entire party.

Currently DAS allows the person with the disability plus up to 5 additional members of their party to enter the LL with the DAS Return Time. That will be cut back to a max of 4; so the person with a disability plus 3 additional members of their party, with limited exceptions for larger immediate family (expected to be parents + minor children).
Ah, clearly should have been obvious. Thank you.

Seems reasonable. Allows families to still experience things together without bogging things down unreasonably if someone wanted to claim their mailman, their long-lost pen pal, etc. should get to join in. Definitely see them allowing for families with 4+ kids to exceed that limit to avoid some kind of Solomon's choice, which is appropriate IMO.

Yes and probably yes.

The high mix of DAS seems to be changing the park experience for others. Which is fine to some extent, but where is the line for when the average visitor is impacted too much? The public does not have the data Disney does to make this judgement. I don’t think they’d move forward with trying to more precisely tailor access without good reason. From the announcements the plan looks to be offering alternative assistance where possible, instead of the current single solution for non-mobility issues. That along with the number of non-disable guests attached to services. A two pronged approach to reducing the impacts.

Greed plays it part too. It’s a for profit business. They do not want to lose G+ sales or lose guests to overwhelming standby lines. Where I think WDW goes too far is intentionally adjusting park operations to keep up the appearance of crazy high demand in order to push upgrade spending. They could release some of the pressure in the parks.

I’m not sure I agree with current petitions. It’s premature to make any case right now. Many of these bloggers have no clue how exactly they will be impacted yet they’re running with it. More clicks, more views, more money.
I’ve heard this & they claim it’s impacting genie plus lines. First of all, fast pass lines have been long during busy times long before the current DAS system was in place. And ppl are naive if they think Disney isn’t just going to sell more genie plus so those lines will remain long.

I saw this article yesterday. Wouldn't this woman have been told to use a mobility device rather than getting to use DAS even before the coming changes?

https://www.businessinsider.com/dis...-park-disability-policy-discriminatory-2024-4

Yep. When it comes to the media and WDW park knowledge, they ALWAYS get details wrong and often big details. I can easily forgive that when so much constantly evolves at the parks and the way Disney intentionally makes everything hard to compare apples to apples. But when it’s a detail wrong that pertains to the headline? Harder to forgive.

I’ve heard this & they claim it’s impacting genie plus lines. First of all, fast pass lines have been long during busy times long before the current DAS system was in place. And ppl are naive if they think Disney isn’t just going to sell more genie plus so those lines will remain long.

Since none of us know how this all plays out, we’ll have to see. I am not naive enough to make hard predictions.

Of course, no-one has a crystal ball but it seems like this is all an attempt to reboot the good old days from around 2016 so there is a precedent.

I, for one, am really very sad about going backwards. It'll be what it will be and I'll do what I need to do, it's just disappointing. I suppose it is nice that I got to see Toy Story and Star Wars at least once... sigh.

I saw this article yesterday. Wouldn't this woman have been told to use a mobility device rather than getting to use DAS even before the coming changes?

https://www.businessinsider.com/dis...-park-disability-policy-discriminatory-2024-4
I like that last sentence: I'd have gone to Universal instead. Who also have accessible queues and don't grant additional accommodations for mobility issues. Sounds like neither she nor the writers did a darn bit of research. It's just geared as since implying that the queues are not accessible is a more clickbait-y angle on the story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter