Thoughts on continued new AP sales?

Do we think it's safe to let AP's lapse and risk them being discontinued again?

• Given the previous recent history on sales who knows - it's anybody's guess

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Yes, let them go because AP sales are probably back for good this time

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No it's not safe to assume anything - go ahead and renew just to be safe

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anal Annie

at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't help it
We've always had DVC AP's and used to always renew when they expired unless it was going to be several months until our next trip. Then we let them lapse & bought new again when the next trip arrived. Well THAT system backfired on us when Covid hit and they stopped selling them. We were able to upgrade to the DVC Sorcerer's AP's when they offered them briefly at the 50th anniversary. Then when they stopped selling them again we decided to just keep up with the renewal regardless of if we had a trip planned or not. It seems that this time the sales are still ongoing so we're debating on whether or not it's safe to let them lapse because we're not sure when we're going down again. They expired the day after our last trip on 9/25. While I like the idea of the discounted rate on the renewal price it DOES seem a little silly to keep renewing them out of fear. Are there any rumors about them being discontinued again? They just released new magnets - is that a good sign? Do we think it's safe to let them go and just hope we can re-buy whenever we DO go next? WWYD? Thoughts? Possible scenarios?

I know this isn't the answer you want, but any answer or rumor about this would be pure speculation. The only people who really know what Disney is going to do with APs are the top executives who make these decisions, and like any confidential information, they aren't going to share it with anyone, as that is a fireable offense.

How soon will it be until you go again? And realistically how many times per year do you think you're going to go? I'd base it on that, knowing that there is a chance that they could disappear again, but hoping that they do not.

DVC claimed that the Sorcerer pass will have greater availability than the general public IncrediPass. I'd look at that as the barometer. If Incredipass sales are paused, maybe jump in and buy a new Sorcerer pass if you're worried about losing the opportunity.

Personally I don't think it's worth renewing if there's no obvious value.

Just my opinion and not based in fact but judging by past history in an economic downturn Disney relies heavily on passholders to prop up the parks. I would even bet that the passes will be reworked to include more low level options especially for dvc and Florida residents. There have even been times in the past where and extra 3 months were added to passes to keep people in the parks.

Just my opinion and not based in fact but judging by past history in an economic downturn Disney relies heavily on passholders to prop up the parks. I would even bet that the passes will be reworked to include more low level options especially for dvc and Florida residents. There have even been times in the past where and extra 3 months were added to passes to keep people in the parks.
It's been a reallllly long time since they gave free extensions on them.

They sure treated AP holders like unwelcome 3rd cousins during the pandemic tho.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but any answer or rumor about this would be pure speculation. The only people who really know what Disney is going to do with APs are the top executives who make these decisions, and like any confidential information, they aren't going to share it with anyone, as that is a fireable offense.

How soon will it be until you go again? And realistically how many times per year do you think you're going to go? I'd base it on that, knowing that there is a chance that they could disappear again, but hoping that they do not.
We typically go 2-3 times per year. With AP's we're more likely to plan a "last minute" long weekend (under 3 months out) if given the opportunity.

We know we'll be going but we just got back from our annual F&W trip last week. Just haven't had time to plan anything else yet...

I rolled the same dice in August when ours expired. We don't go again until early December and if Socerers' aren't available new then, we will just cancel that trip until they are available again.

For each meme we of my family that did not have annual passes, cost me over an extra 1500 dollars per year….

When you have 5 people without annual passes in your party that adds up….

The break even on the annual pass renewal is 9 or day 10s in one trip, or two four day or longer trips…

We expired in August of 2019. I needed a break from WDW (mostly due to guest behavior) so let them go and booked a week to Disneyland for whole family. Well COVID hit and our trip was cancelled. It was made worse that DS and I were going to get our WDW APs back in September of 2020. NO SALES! Oh that was so hard. We did go buying regular tickets but as soon as AP sales opened again and we bought ... and not going to let them expire again.

I vote we just don't know. While I agree APs are the base of income for harder times so far I haven't seen any days in the parks that looked like hard times (and I went many years when parks were slow to compare).

Parks are helping float Dis, so I assume they will continue to maximize profits without the previous significant perks for FL residents and AP holders. Most other parks are doing as well and manage to significantly reward passholders and Fl residents.
The rewards for top tier passes at UO and SW are similar to what we used to enjoy at WDW so we spend more of our money there currently. In fact they have incresed ROI on passes if anything. Free tickets, discounts, PH events, free parking pay for the difference between lower tier passes in a couple trips.

I feel the first and third choices have the same effect, because no one knows what's going to happen and, given that no one knows, if you want to hold on to your AP, you should renew. That way you're sure to have it in case they do stop sales again.

The question is: Is this something you want to gamble with? If you're comfortable gambling, then don't renew. I am not comfortable gambling and I renewed during the pandemic even though I knew I wasn't going for a while. As it turned out, I was glad I did or I wouldn't've had an AP when I needed it again.

IMO, with Epic Universe coming soon, WDW will want to keep the Passholders, therefore AP's will be available for a long time. Additionally I think a lot of former PH's have stopped coming due to economics making more AP's available.

I just renewed our APs after running several What-if cost estimates for the next few years. It is still cheaper for our vacationing patterns to renew then try to skip a year and pay full price for an AP.

I had a conversation with a member of the executive communication team this week….

I am sickened to say this, but I left that conversation with the understanding the Disney is under the impression that they have to treat everyone the same….

Now I agree they have to treat everyone fairly!!!

Customer equity must be like new math to Disney.

According to Rick in the executive correspondents team (no last name given) They have no loyalty DVC or AP holders…
My understand is that if it comes to it again, where they have the option of sell 100 dollar day tickets over 1500 dollar annual passes they will suspend the annual passes….

The man was dumb founded when I pointed out that every other industry on the planet has loyalty programs…. It was as foreign of a concept as life on Mars …..

I was sadly disappointed in the message that was communicated to me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter