This was posted on the WBTA cruise. What happened here?

I hope to eventually get on a WBTA cruise, so a few days ago, I posted to wish those sailing Bon Voyage.:boat: I came across this post. Why would someone need a visa?

I just do not understand, the family apparently got to Barcelona. Seems very sad.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/9...-from-barcelona.3522411/page-57#post-58218790
They are from Argentina. And, did the cruise stop in Canada? Possibly Canada requires a visa from Argentinian citizens.

The poster apparently feels it was up to the TA and/or DCL to tell them their foreign port entry requirements. That's just not true. It's up to the individual to research what's necessary.

And, no, you can't "just stay on the ship" when in a port of a country without getting the proper entry documents. When you are in port, you are "in" the country.

EDIT: I looked it up - Argentinian citizens require a visa to enter Canada. They don't require one to enter Spain (that's why they could go to Barcelona before this was discovered).

Last edited:
Dcl tells you just about everything including what to pack, how much alcohol to bring. You would think they might mention visa requirements. They don't forget to send you a dozen emails reminding you to purchase excursions.
Sad to say the least.

I'm not normally the litigious type, but if the TA did indeed tell them that they wouldn't need a visa then I think the TA owes them a cruise. It's one thing if some family member or someone online tells you bad information, but a travel agent is specifically hired for their knowledge of travel. You could make the case that forgetting to tell the person they needed a visa was an accident or not necessarily their duty, but to tell them a visa is specifically not required was wrong and caused the cruise to be missed.

But I don't know the civil laws in Argentina nor whether the TA is located there or another country, so I'm not saying the poster has any legal standing or not. Just that the TA was being paid to arrange this family's trip and absolutely failed at it.

Just in reference to something a PP said. In some countries which require a visa, you CAN stay on the boat, you just cannot get off without the visa. Canada is a little different because they require some citizens of certain countries to have a visa just to transport through Canada, which a cruise is doing. That's why these people were not allowed to come on board. However, for instance, Russia requires US citizens to have a visa. If you are on a Northern Europe cruise, you may get on the sailing without a valid Russian visa, but you may not get off the boat in St. Petersburg. I am assuming this is why the TA gave wrong info. I agree however that the TA should have known.

Just in reference to something a PP said. In some countries which require a visa, you CAN stay on the boat, you just cannot get off without the visa. Canada is a little different because they require some citizens of certain countries to have a visa just to transport through Canada, which a cruise is doing. That's why these people were not allowed to come on board. However, for instance, Russia requires US citizens to have a visa. If you are on a Northern Europe cruise, you may get on the sailing without a valid Russian visa, but you may not get off the boat in St. Petersburg. I am assuming this is why the TA gave wrong info. I agree however that the TA should have known.

This reiterates the need to check each countries requirements yourself. When I was traveling through europe, i made sure i read all of the requriements of each country. Even if just going to a train station en route somewhere else. As that can matter, and even how long between trains. So very inportant to check for yourself.

I just saw that they are skipping the Newfoundland port and arriving in NYC a day earlier :(

Wow, so the family could have embarked.....well, no, but if what they are doing would have been the original itinerary.

I would love a night in NYC....I hope they have some excursions! They did in Copenhagen, when the EBTA 2017 had our last night there.

I just saw that they are skipping the Newfoundland port and arriving in NYC a day earlier :(

Oh ugh for the family then.

Wonder if they could catch up and get on, given that Canada isn't in the plans now, if the ship is still around Europe?

Oh ugh for the family then.

Wonder if they could catch up and get on, given that Canada isn't in the plans now, if the ship is still around Europe?

I'm the one who posted about the WBTA Newfoundland port. The cancellation wasn't announced until we were onboard from our last European port, Ponta Delgada. We are heading straight to NY now.

There's a Canadian Embassy on Placa de Catalunya street in Barcelona. It would have been worth a cab over there to see about getting visitor visas. They have emergency consular services there. I've heard of people interviewing in the morning and having their visa by lunch. Not saying it would have worked but for the amount of money they already invested, it would have been worth a try.

There's a Canadian Embassy on Placa de Catalunya street in Barcelona. It would have been worth a cab over there to see about getting visitor visas. They have emergency consular services there. I've heard of people interviewing in the morning and having their visa by lunch. Not saying it would have worked but for the amount of money they already invested, it would have been worth a try.
If only they knew.

we were on an Alaska cruise this summer and on our Skagway day, we did a bus tour up to the Yukon (Canada) and the train back to Skagway. We literally got to the passport control area, they walked through as the bus was parking in the lot waiting for the train to arrive. The train came, we got off of the bus and onto the train and took it back (we had passport control for the USA as we neared Skagway. (that's the long part of the story).

Back to the middle part of the story - after the Canadian Border Control officers got off of the bus, someone asked "why?". Our bus driver said (correctly) that we had crossed from the USA into Canada and therefore passport control. AND that a few weeks prior the Canadian Border Control officers had pulled someone off of the bus :earseek:. This person was not allowed to come into Canada (so how did they get on the ship in Vancouver :confused3 !!) And what was Canada going to do with this person (she didn't say) ... I assume - send them back to the USA (probably)... But not on the tourist train (for whatever reason)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter