• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This is Us- Season four

Do we know that Toby was talking to a woman? Wasn't it just his crossfit group chat? He could have been talking to anyone. I don't think there's going to be an affair, I think they're just going to drift apart. He's changed a lot in a short amount of time, and she has closed in on herself. They're coping with the baby's problems in drastically different ways, and independently of each other. Not a good recipe.

Maybe Kate and Kevin are in denial about Rebecca? Maybe Randall is the only one taking it seriously in the beginning and it causes a rift? Could explain why they let her leave on her own in the future scene. Could even explain why Miguel isn't in the further future scene, could be that he was in denial and couldn't come to terms or handle it and left? Of course he may just be in another room or out getting something for that one too. Or it could all be misdirection and the split from Randall will be over something else...maybe Tess comes to Kevin instead of Randall about something?

It was a great episode. I hate that we have to wait for the next one. But i'm also glad, I think the rest of this season is going to be unbearably hard to watch, as it will presumably cover the 9 months in between now and the flash forward.
I don't know a man that would go by the screen name LadyDominatrix, do you? ETA it was his CrossFit group, but the reply that was highlighted about Kate was from a woman

I don't know why, but I keep thinking he's talking about his mother. They have a strained relationship, don't they?

Still and all she should just come out and say she saw the text when he told her to grab the phone. My only beef with this season is the forced misunderstanding crap.

I don't think the fight between Kevin and Randall will end up being about Rebecca's care, or Randall "hiding" in plain sight her early signs. I think it will be much bigger than that and something only the writers from this crazy show can imagine.

I think you're right AustinTink. As I was thinking it all out, through writing, I kept thinking :well that wouldn't keep Randall away, nope - that wouldn't keep him absent.
Nothing seemed to fit.

Damn writers!

I don't know why, but I keep thinking he's talking about his mother. They have a strained relationship, don't they?

Still and all she should just come out and say she saw the text when he told her to grab the phone. My only beef with this season is the forced misunderstanding crap.

I too think it isn't about Kate.

But Toby is probably taking his vulnerabilities elsewhere.

As far as seeing the text and not saying a thing - how I hate the hold and stew type of personality. But it is very common. Or at least I seem to draw that to me - laughing.

Last edited:

I have always loved the Deja storyline. The young lady who plays Deja knocks it out of the park in every scene she is in. Sometimes it's a long dialog and sometimes it's just a look on her face, but she is amazing.

She is just brilliant. Deja will be a character that I will remember, like I delusionally knew her, long after the show ends.

(Six Feet Under's Claire Fisher was like that for me as well.)

Last edited:
I don't think the fight between Kevin and Randall will end up being about Rebecca's care, or Randall "hiding" in plain sight her early signs. I think it will be much bigger than that and something only the writers from this crazy show can imagine.
The writers hinted that is what the fight is about and why they aren't talking in the flash-forward.

I think Kevin is with Sophie. He only had 9 months between telling Randall he wanted to settle down and the pregnancy. I am thinking it was someone he knew vs. someone he had to go meet. I remember in the scene a while back when he dated Sophie again he said something like, "It's you Sophie, it's always been you." But as we know, the writers could take us in another direction.
DH thinks it is Zoe.

I too think it isn't about Kate.

But Toby is taking his vulnerabilities elsewhere.

As far as seeing the text and not saying a thing - how I hate the hold and stew type of personality. But it is very common. Or at least I seem to draw that to me - laughing.
Yeah, the middle of Thanksgiving dinner isn't really the time to address something like that.

In the supermarket scene Randall was calling Rebecca. So I don't believe it's a fight between Randall and everyone else but either Randall and Kevin or Randall and the twins

Do we know that Toby was talking to a woman? Wasn't it just his crossfit group chat? He could have been talking to anyone. I don't think there's going to be an affair, I think they're just going to drift apart. He's changed a lot in a short amount of time, and she has closed in on herself. They're coping with the baby's problems in drastically different ways, and independently of each other. Not a good recipe.

Maybe Kate and Kevin are in denial about Rebecca? Maybe Randall is the only one taking it seriously in the beginning and it causes a rift? Could explain why they let her leave on her own in the future scene. Could even explain why Miguel isn't in the further future scene, could be that he was in denial and couldn't come to terms or handle it and left? Of course he may just be in another room or out getting something for that one too. Or it could all be misdirection and the split from Randall will be over something else...maybe Tess comes to Kevin instead of Randall about something?

It was a great episode. I hate that we have to wait for the next one. But i'm also glad, I think the rest of this season is going to be unbearably hard to watch, as it will presumably cover the 9 months in between now and the flash forward.

I also feel it will be a matter of Denial based on the fact that they let her go off shopping alone.

And I feel that Miguel, factoring age and health, is probably passed away at Rebecca's life's end. I don't think he would leave her.

Last edited:
Given his ongoing health issues, it’s not really funny, but any time he’s the butt of a joke, I’m game lol

This makes me sad. I don't understand why people hate Sidney so much. Is it because he is the GOAT?? He is an incredible person...the kindest, sweetest, most humble man. And he is also very generous to others. And yes, I know him personally.

Kate fessing up about the first solid food story is just dumb. No reason to do that. That makes it seem a forced story point to me.

I'm having a hard time with the early dementia story because they haven't done a good job aging Mandy Moore.

Kate fessing up about the first solid food story is just dumb. No reason to do that. That makes it seem a forced story point to me.
So forced.

Their latest backstory seems too rushed. I am close to not caring about either of them. Poorly written.

Last edited:
In the supermarket scene Randall was calling Rebecca. So I don't believe it's a fight between Randall and everyone else but either Randall and Kevin or Randall and the twins
I think that part of the scene was Thankgiving, not 9 months later on the birthday.

I think that part of the scene was Thankgiving, not 9 months later on the birthday.
Definitely 9 months later she was purchasing the flowers instead of the cake when she took out the phone lost it Randall was calling her when she left it and she had the same flowers when she was driven home by the police. When she came to Thanksgiving she had a pie in her hand.

Tricked!!! Oh man they got me tonight. I have so many questions and concerns.

Me too! I so thought it was the same day!

I think it's just Kevin, but noticed that there was no Toby or Nicky at this point. I was surprised at that message on Toby's phone, but I'm really hoping that is misdirection. Could be that Kate's low self-confidence cannot survive, or Toby really did have an affair (maybe someone paid attention to him?)

I hope so too. What was the name, LadyKryptonite? Maybe it's just another guy in the group who was reeeealy confident about his own effect on the ladies when he made up his username? :laughing:

My guess is Randall keeps her memory issues a secret for too long and then wants to put her in memory care for her safety and security, but the other two are blindsided and they have a blowout fight.

I'm thinking the same thing. She asked him to keep it to himself for now, but I can see the others getting really mad.

I also thought it was ridiculous for Kate to tell him after the fact about the first feeding; lies are sometimes the kind choice.

Another agree. What was the point of spoiling his enjoyment there?

I'm glad things seem to be working out for Tess (hope that continues) and I love that they incorporated Nicky's tradition and Jack still carries it on all those years later.

Definitely 9 months later she was purchasing the flowers instead of the cake when she took out the phone lost it Randall was calling her when she left it and she had the same flowers when she was driven home by the police. When she came to Thanksgiving she had a pie in her hand.
And when she returned with the pie on Thanksgiving, she told Randall she had turned her phone off. They seemed to be parallel scenes at 2 different times. I don't think it was 9 months later when Randall was trying to call her.

Hated that Kate felt she had to tell Toby it wasn't his first food. Let him enjoy it. It's a harmless lie.
I find that people who have addictions, like Toby with his addiction to food, will often change to become addicted to something else, like exercise. Also, as a person with food issues, it sometimes seems as if you mess up with one meal, then just throw everything away and go back to overeating, so I can kind of understand why Toby brought his special food, even though it was a holiday.

There were moments of the episode that made me tear up, especially Nicky and Jack and all the connections. And Deja. But then I would get frustrated by thinking "who goes out for a snack on Thanksgiving, or goes to a movie on Thanksgiving, Seeing Rebecca fail is tough, as I am seeing memory issues with my mom, though not as severe, and it worries me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter