• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things we don't usually bother with (Autopia, Tree House)

BPTP

Mouseketeer
We're going next weekend with nephews who've never been. We'reanticipating crowds so are looking at some of the stuff we don't usually bother with. We've been 3 times with our children (3 & 6) & havenever even seen Autopia & haven't bothered with the tree house, are they worht a look Also haven't been to the bazaar or in Phantom Manor. (i'll def be too scared for PH but by DH can take my nephews as they're 9 & 11!). We also haven't seen the Armageddon. Any info on any of these greatly appreciated.

BPTP, Phantom Manor is one of the best attractions in DLP!!! You really shouldn't let another trip go by without going in it at least 10 times ;) IMHO, Autopia is not very Disney-like however, my 6 year old son loves it and insists on going on it several times each trip. It is just little cars that you drive around a race track but for some reason it really appeals to him. He also enjoys the treehouse. I am not sure what you mean by the bazaar :confused3 so can't help you there.

The Adventureland Bazaar is no longer accessible. In the early days, you were able to walk in and out this huge building and discover an Arabian marketplace. Everything is now rebuild to the Agrabah Café which is hardly open these days. :guilty:

I didn't bother for Autopia either for many years, but a few months ago when there was no queueing for it, we just jumped in, and since then I have to do it on every visit. It's just hilarious. :rotfl:

The treehouse gives a very nice view over Adventureland, but so does Spyglass hill.

And Phantom Manor, well, that's a real must!!! It's one of the best Disney rides and won't scare children.

Hope this helps. :wizard:

Phantom Manor petrified my children when they went on it last summer. They wouldn't go on it again during our recent trip.

OOOh, we have been to DLRP twice - where is spyglass hill so I can check it out next visit?? :sunny:

I definately think you should try Phantom Manor, it's not the "Ghost Ride" sort of thing we're accustomed to in the UK, which I shy away from and the ballroom where the ghosts are dancing is quite beautiful, there are some rather spooky looking skeletons and zombieish figures, but I would imagine the boys will love it - my youngest was 5, first time and I explained beforehand it might be a bit scary - he loved every minute of it and it's top of our list along with POTC and BTM.
Armageddon would probably be OK for your nephews, although we found it incredibly tedious and wouldn't do it again. This one petrified the youngest, there's a lot of steam/smoke/fire effects and when adults started screaming as well it was just too much for him. The 10 year old was just bored.
Unfortunately Autopia has been closed on both previous trips, but we'd love to have a go on it. The treehouse is OK if you've the time and again is something the boys would probably enjoy, but I wouldn't forsake another ride just to do it. :earsboy:
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time whatever you decide to do. :cool1:

Our DS 3 went on PM on our last visit and loved it. We talked her through what would happen, so no surprises. :)

Reid

I'm not one for 'ghost trains' and as I normally go by myself I've never been brave enough! I nearly embarrassed myself going on the Indiana Jones ride on my first visit. The nice Frenchman sitting next to me was quite bemused when I grabbed his hand!!! :rotfl2: : :rotfl2: I would hate to think what might happen on a ghost train if I was on my own. :rotfl:

OOOh, we have been to DLRP twice - where is spyglass hill so I can check it out next visit??

Open a parkmap of the Disneyland Park and look out for A4: Adventre Isle. It's located next to Skull Rock. :groom:

Hi BPTP

Just wanted to say, be wary of the tree house if you or any of your party are scared of heights. This frightened the beejeesus out of me!! I couldn't look at any of the detail because I was so worried, and the pushing and shoving doesn't help.

Phantom Manor is wonderful and one of my favourite rides. I hope you are brave enough to try it.

Have a great trip.

ArielJasmine princess:

Thanks everyone. Have just read these threads with dd aged 7. Have said I'll try it if she will! Think we'll have to give the rest a go as well!

You could always have a look at this website for PM together too.

Phantom Manor

Have fun

I'd like to point out that the webmaster of this site uses a flash inside Phantom Manor. This will make the Audio-Animatronics have quite a scary face because all the light-effects are gone.

We have a few non-flash pictures at Photos Magiques and have a look on our weblinks page for other PM fan sites.

http://www.photosmagiques.com/dlp/frontierland/phantommanor.php

With the age of your nephews i would strongly reccomend autopia . My son really loves it and is sad when we go in the winter and its not open
Nikki

Well we didn't bother with the tree-house & Autopia was closed, However Phantom Manor was a revalation & has become one of my favourites, we also loved the graveyard & even managed to have my 11 yr old nephew half believing the whole thing! (He also commented that the piano player in the ballroom looked like Jonathon Ross!). My 3 yr old son doesn't seem to have learned how to be frightened & half way round, asked me if I wanted to play 'knock knock'! Armageddon was great, although it was 5.00, we'd been out since 8.15 & it was really hot & we just wanted a seat. My mum was in a bad mood as she thought we were cramming in too much and when we came out she had a rant & said 'and that stuff went all over me, how dangerous!'. When we pointed out that it was just water she looked a bit sheepish. The fearless three year old sat on the floor in front of the 'fence' and applauded when it was finished! Thanks again for all your replies.

Phantom Manor is a must! Whenever we arrive at DLP, it's always our first stop as it gets us past the crowds in Fantasyland.
I have been on Autopia once, my first visit as a little girl 10 years ago, but haven't been on it since. It's never one of my 'must do' rides, and because I go during the summer, the queues are always very long and I'd rather be on another ride!
I really like the Treehouse, it's a lovely walk up and down, and like I think somebody else said, it gives some beautiful views over Adventureland.

Have a wonderful time when you go!! :cool1:

I'm normally on my own in DLP and far too chicken for Phantom Manor by myself.

Nik, you would be fine doing it by yourself. I find the things are funny scarey rather than frightening scarey, if you know what I mean! Its not a ride where anything is draped over you or squirted at you. I remember when we were kids that was what happened on ghost trains. My auntie had her glasses taken off by something draping over her hair once and they had to stop the ride to look for them! :rotfl2: Luckily they were not broken as she was blind as a bat without them!!!
We rode PM about four times, each time I find something interesting that I did not notice the time before. The first time we rode it it broke down just outside a door where the knocker was continously rapping. Eventually DH shouted "I wish someone would answer that door!", it was so funny!:rotfl2:
Seriously though, you will be fine, even the bit at the end where the image of the ghost is on the back of your chair is funny rather than scarey.

NIK said:
I'm normally on my own in DLP and far too chicken for Phantom Manor by myself.
As Elaine says you'll be fine Nik. Our DD aged 3 enjoyed the ride, once she knew what would happen :)

Reid

Nik, you must try it, it's great. Read the link above with the story of the house, which is really interesting. I think anticipation is half the problem with these things, if you know exactly what to expect it's ok. the CMs are all very 'po' faced & first of all you all go into a room which is quite dim but not dark & nothing happens, Then they close the door to the outside and you all go into another room & the door closes. The CM asks for silence, tells you all to move into the centre of the room & not touch the walls. The room has wood panelling from floor to half way up and then some pictures around the top half. Then you get a story in French & you have the impression that the walls are stretching, I assume that it's actually a huge lift and we're all going down in it, although there's no sensation of movement so I could be wrong. The pictures are all of 'nice' scenes but as the wall stretches there are not so nice things at the bottom of the pictures (eg a lady in the garden stretches to reveal a skeleton in the ground below her etc) all very tame. Then there's a thunderclap & above you if you look up you can see the groom hanging, although yolu've got to know to look for it (see above links). Then the door opens and you walk along a hallway in the house, quite dim but no=where near as dark as the walk to Pirates OTC. There are some pictures on the wall which change as you walkj along, kind of like a hologram. Then there are cars big enough for 2 or 3 people moving along very slowly. You get in and are taken along a corridor with doors, where the knockers are moving and there's no-one there& a few bats looking at you and you see the bride a few times looking very sad. Then you see a table with a crystal ball on it with a very clever talking head reading out a 'spooky poem' then you see the ballroom which is the cleverest thing ever, all with projectors etc people are dancing and having a meal then they disappear. Then you go through a section which is very like POTC I think, lots of 'jolly' skeletons and a man taking his head on & off. At the end the cars turn sideways so you can see yourself in a mirror & there's a skull sort of thing projected above you. All very clever, lots to see but no-one touches you, jumps out at you or anything like that. Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter