Theming at DVC

This is a common misconception.

The Polynesian is an extension of Adventureland and was designed as a love letter to the post-war Tiki culture of the 40s and 50s. There's some nods from the French Polynesian, like the concept of the Great Ceremonial House with the outer longhouses, the previous lobby water garden, now the bungalows, etc. However, I don't think WDI ever intended it to be authentic, just like Adventureland is not authentic.

I wouldn't consider Frontierland, New Orleans Square (Disneyland) or Liberty Square authentic representations of those regions either.

Aulani is supposed to have taken actual culture nods from Hawaiian culture.
Agreed. My comment on the Polynesian was more in the vein of some people complaining about the lack of authenticity with the theming of Riveria. At the end of the day, all of the themed resorts are an imaginary vision of what the theme reflects.

At the end of the day, all of the themed resorts are an imaginary vision of what the theme reflects.
This comment is so true. And as we see with so many other things in life, people like what people like!

For us, the theming has gotten a little watered down with the newer DVC resorts like Riviera. And we have concerns about the new Poly. But when they're building these new DVC by taking existing buildings and just fitting them into existing resorts, it's probably a bit tougher to make a huge splash with the theming. For us, we like the 'wow' factor when we drive up to the resort, which is only a piece of the "theme". That's why, for us, Riviera and BLT just really don't grab us. But I know many love them! Just preference and perspective!

This comment is so true. And as we see with so many other things in life, people like what people like!

For us, the theming has gotten a little watered down with the newer DVC resorts like Riviera. And we have concerns about the new Poly. But when they're building these new DVC by taking existing buildings and just fitting them into existing resorts, it's probably a bit tougher to make a huge splash with the theming. For us, we like the 'wow' factor when we drive up to the resort, which is only a piece of the "theme". That's why, for us, Riviera and BLT just really don't grab us. But I know many love them! Just preference and perspective!
Exactly! That's one of the strengths of DVC, IMHO. There's something for just about every taste. I am not a fan of Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower, or Saratoga Springs. I think Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom are really cool. We own at Beach Club, Old Key West, and Riviera, so obviously like those.

I present my case. New York is as much New England as it is Canada, Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England
But the Wikipedia article you referenced says it is not one of the six New England states. :confused:

I think it should be, because it's "New" York. But DW says "absolutely not!"
I'm just a transplanted New Englander from PA. But my wife is a dyed in the wool WASP tracing her ancestry back to Bradford and Winthrop lol.

Started a new poll so as not to derail this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/is-new-york-part-of-new-england.3934888/

But the Wikipedia article you referenced says it is not one of the six New England states. :confused:

I'm just a transplanted New Englander from PA. But my wife is a dyed in the wool WASP tracing her ancestry back to Bradford and Winthrop lol.

I agree it is not one of the New England States

Exactly! That's one of the strengths of DVC, IMHO. There's something for just about every taste. I am not a fan of Grand Floridian, Bay Lake Tower, or Saratoga Springs. I think Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom are really cool. We own at Beach Club, Old Key West, and Riviera, so obviously like those.
Seems pretty obvious you're a Beach Club fan!! We also love the ultimate in "themed" resorts - AKL.....

I think when others say the theming at DVC resorts is “muted”, they are using places like All Stars as the comparator. There is definitely Disney theming at DVC resorts, and the theming is always consistent with the theme of the resort. It just isn’t overtly “in your face”. For example, at Beach Club there is Disney theming everywhere you look. The general areas have pictures and furniture (lamps, etc) that include Disney characters. But rather than being displayed in bright colors, those decorations are consistent with the beach (more pastel colors). The rooms also include a good amount of Disney theming, but it is consistent with the resort theming I just described.

At other places like All Stars, the Disney theming looks like it jumped right off the TV screen. It is bright colors and the characters literally look like the stepped right out of a cartoon. At the the DVC resorts, the characters are changed up to fit the theme of the resort. It you want the over the top theming, then DVC probably isn’t for you. Personally, I prefer the DVC style of Disney theming. There is enough “over the top” theming in the parks.

New York is most definitely NOT part of New England. We moved out to NY from Boston 18 years ago. We have 28 years in Boston followed by our time in NY. New England is Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. There is debate regarding Connecticut, but I have never heard anyone say that NY is included.

Probably not a theming thing, but it seems DVC went all in on the pull down beds after the positive feedback after the first couple refurbs. I like them over the couch sofas but now all of the resorts look similar as a result. The new Boardwalk studios look exactly like the Saratoga refurb.

I think when others say the theming at DVC resorts is “muted”, they are using places like All Stars as the comparator.
When I say 'muted', I certainly don't compare to All Stars. I mean the opposite of 'heightened' in the way Disney does in animation and movies. Marry Poppins' London is real London in a way, but it takes it a bit further. Ratatouille plays in Paris, but in a Pixar Paris just a bit more romantic than real Paris. Many of the Disney Resorts do the same without being cartoonish. Not just Poly, Contemporary or Grand Floridian, but also Port Orleans, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Aulani... They are inspired by real places but are just a bit more Disney than what you would usually find in the real place.

That's what I personally am missing at Riviera. And I'm not talking about hidden Mickeys of which there are a lot. It would certainly fit in the region it was inspired by and if that's what you are looking for, that's great. But it would just blend in there instead of being just a bit more colorful, intense, playful, whimsical than the real thing.

And I am very happy that DVC offers so much variety. There is something for you and something for me.

Riviera's biggest issue is Caribbean Beach, which I fully believe is on borrowed time. It's the oldest of the moderate resorts, takes up an enormous amount of land on premium property, has a weak theme and outdated room configurations. I expect it will be one of the first classic resorts to go if they ever get to that point.

I'm not saying it's next week or next year, but 15-20 years down the line—I can see Caribbean Beach being raised and replaced.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s cost because it’s funded via capital reserves. But, I think it’s the design team who has decided that the updated theming is more in line with today’s concept.

In the past, some have said BWV looked like a grandmas house with all its florals. Now some believe the understated theming is the wrong way to go.

I don’t need over the top theming but rather the resort having what I enjoy. RIV gives me a serene feel when I enter but I love sitting waters edge overlooking CBR too.

Same with VGF…the resort itself is wonderful and while the lobby is grand, I can’t say I need to have that as part of DVC.

We enjoy our DVC villas and I don't think they lack in theming with the wall art and headboards. We prefer the quality bedding covers over the acetate themed ones. I will take a higher grade textile over theming. When we stayed in Bay Lake in 2010 thru 2013 the quality of the textiles was so poor it was comparable to staying at a Motel 6 in a College town. The carpets were thin and worn, the black furniture was chipped and water stained, the kitchen appliances were dented, kitchenware missing, the chairs wiggled, and the couch was stained. At Beach Club the glass in the kitchen cabinet doors was gone - just reach thru for needed items. Drawers and cabinets hung crooked. To think that I paid to belong there was 'balloon popping'. With the refurbs the carpets became thicker and then replaced with LVF, along with the furniture textiles upgraded.

IMO, DCV members have themselves to blame for the lack of theming. Everything out of the villas, down to the batteries in the remotes, was apparently viewed as a pre-bought souvenir.

it seems DVC went all in on the pull down beds after the positive feedback after the first couple refurbs.
Actually, when they announced that Riviera (under construction at the time) would be the first to have the queen and double Murphy beds instead of the sofa beds, they announced that the Murphys would be installed in all DVC resorts as each was refurbed. They didn't wait for any feedback at all.

You are correct - the refurbs are funded by dues. That means that complaints of Disney 'cutting costs' are a bit off. I would say it's more to do with the project managers for each project. VGF and Boulder Ridge Refurbs have been amazing and added MORE theming, not less. Whoever did Boardwalk and Beach Club lacked creativity.

My biggest complaint is not theming, but a lack of standard hotel bedding. I would happily pay higher dues to have proper blankets / comforters on each bed instead of a thin sheet. This is one area Disney COULD learn from a Marriott.

This is Marriott's hotel bedding collection:
View attachment 813590
On that note, I'd happily pay more in dues for a nicer mattress as well.

I personally think the lack of a proper table in the studios and proper chairs is the biggest let down. The Deluxe Disney Studios have always included a couple of amenities that helped bridge the gap between normal hotel room and extended stay property.

It will be curious to see what the one bedroom units look like.

Saratoga Springs is 30 minutes from Mass. Just saying
I live in Saratoga. It’s more like an hour to Mass. That’s just to the border.

If NY was a tiny state like RI and was located in the Albany area, then I could see the argument of NY being part of New England. But NY is HUGE spans from Long Island to the Great Lakes. Plus, the mentality is just totally different in Upstate NY compared to Western MA. New England definitely ends at that Western MA border.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter