Theater Banning Men From Two Showings of Wonder Woman

I was just bring it up to stir the pot. I love being an agitator at the sexual harassment classes we have at our work. I agree with the premise that 99% of the discrimination that takes place should be aggressively confronted. Sometimes the discrimination is probably acceptable. I mean the majority of men are going to Hooters for one reason only and it isn't for the quality of the food. If they were forced to hire an equal number of male servers the place would go out of business.

I go to Hooters because I like the food (and I am a female). I have seen many women customers, as well as families with children at our local one. It is gimmicky, but if they did hire men to serve I doubt it would hurt the business model that much and perhaps might bring in more female diners.

I go to Hooters because I like the food (and I am a female). I have seen many women customers, as well as families with children at our local one. It is gimmicky, but if they did hire men to serve I doubt it would hurt the business model that much and perhaps might bring in more female diners.

Never been to one. Seriously. I've certainly seen one from outside, but it just seemed a little bit odd. So what's it like outside of the obvious sideshow aspect to the servers?

I think it's wrong! I couldn't imagine that going over well with many women if they only had men's night. I've banned my kids from this science camp that has one session for only girls and one session for everyone, where's the boys only session?

Studies have shown that girls tend to be less outspoken, and participate less, in classes, especially math and science, when boys are present. Girls-only classes are intended to help girls find confidence in math and science. And girls tend to be interested in boys at a certain age, and pay more attention to the boys than to the subject matter. (I know, I was one of those.) I think girls-only science camps are a terrific idea. Let them get some confidence, some experience under their belts, and they'll be more likely to carry that through to mixed classes.

Its not a big deal at all, god forbid we encourage a bit of women empowerment. Lord, you know these dbs are the ones who complain about getting friendzoned, etc. If they were having it locally, I'd for sure make it a night with the girls. To fuss about it, to ME, is the illustration of male privledge. Best part, if you don't want to support it, you just don't have to and can still see the movie:)

I'm not a lawyer by any means. Just from HR trainings and whatnot: Basically men as a group aren't a "protected class" in matters of discrimination. Minority men; Men over 40 for employment consideration- yes. But not men collectively.

Lawyers, feel free to blow my argument up :)
I am not a lawyer either but I was taught that it has to be an action against a protected class in order for discrimination laws to apply. The text book case is that it is OK to have a no red-head policy in hiring because being a red-head is not a protected class.

Studies have shown that girls tend to be less outspoken, and participate less, in classes, especially math and science, when boys are present. Girls-only classes are intended to help girls find confidence in math and science. And girls tend to be interested in boys at a certain age, and pay more attention to the boys than to the subject matter. (I know, I was one of those.) I think girls-only science camps are a terrific idea. Let them get some confidence, some experience under their belts, and they'll be more likely to carry that through to mixed classes.

I disagree, if you look at more recent findings girls score higher than boys in all subjects now. I think boys are being left behind. If they have a class specifically for girls they should also offer one specifically for boys.

Its not a big deal at all, god forbid we encourage a bit of women empowerment. Lord, you know these dbs are the ones who complain about getting friendzoned, etc. If they were having it locally, I'd for sure make it a night with the girls. To fuss about it, to ME, is the illustration of male privledge. Best part, if you don't want to support it, you just don't have to and can still see the movie:)

I honestly think it is odd that the author and yourself are assuming negative things about the males that are offended. I'm sure there are guys who have said stupid and rude things in response to this, but the blanket statement is unfair.

I'm a woman, and I'm put off by it. I'm obviously not the target audience, which has been further confirmed after reading more about the event.

Maybe this bothers me because I always got along better with guys than girls growing up. I was home schooled and went to co-ops. I never felt intimidated by male students in my classes. I would have hated all female classes. I was treated poorly who knows how many times by girls growing up, but I can barely think of examples where I was bullied by boys. Some girls I'm sure would benefit, but I would have struggled in an all girls environment.

I am not a lawyer either but I was taught that it has to be an action against a protected class in order for discrimination laws to apply. The text book case is that it is OK to have a no red-head policy in hiring because being a red-head is not a protected class.

I kind of figured it wasn't a protected class.

I honestly think it is odd that the author and yourself are assuming negative things about the males that are offended. I'm sure there are guys who have said stupid and rude things in response to this, but the blanket statement is unfair./QUOTE]

Because I can't imagine why any man would be upset about women having a place of any type that was just for women...I'm in an all female book club because we got tired of dudes either trying to pick women up or mansplain stuff to us. I've heard of gender specific bible studies, yoga classes, etc. Men who would complain about such just seem silly...and petty. I mean if they said guys couldn't see the movie at all, TOTALLY different story, but having a female only night for a female action hero (which is rad) - I mean, COME ON, they don't have anything else to complain about? Its a fun way to celebrate women and that's all I see the event as. Why a man would take issue with a female only event, I can't fathom.

I've definitely been under valued/bullied by both sexes and certainly understand that Mean Girls exist, and an event of this type to have women surround, and hopefully be encouraged by other women, seems nothing like a delightful way to pass a few hours. Just my thoughts, nothing wrong with anyone else's:)

I disagree, if you look at more recent findings girls score higher than boys in all subjects now. I think boys are being left behind. If they have a class specifically for girls they should also offer one specifically for boys.
The poster you quoted said nothing about scores. "Less outspoken" and "participate less" don't affect grades. They do affect career choices.

I'm also imagining any of my former bosses telling me I couldn't work that day because I'm a woman. It just seems wrong.
Since this isn't a last-minute event or decision, what with making the news at least two weeks in advance, it would be reasonable to expect that Alamo Drafthouse would reschedule any males who normally work Tuesday evenings. If there are any.

I'm not a lawyer by any means. Just from HR trainings and whatnot: Basically men as a group aren't a "protected class" in matters of discrimination. Minority men; Men over 40 for employment consideration- yes. But not men collectively.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll take a shot at blowing up your argument. ;)

You are correct, men are not a protected class. But neither are women. Rather, "sex" is a protected class, and it applies to both men and women.

Again, not a lawyer, but imo what this theater is doing has nothing to do with discrimination. As others have said, it's more like a special event "ladies night" kind of thing.

I was just bring it up to stir the pot. I love being an agitator at the sexual harassment classes we have at our work. I agree with the premise that 99% of the discrimination that takes place should be aggressively confronted. Sometimes the discrimination is probably acceptable. I mean the majority of men are going to Hooters for one reason only and it isn't for the quality of the food. If they were forced to hire an equal number of male servers the place would go out of business.

Have you ever been? We go, as a family, and there are PLENTY of women there (as patrons) and TONS of families. The food is actually very good. Yes, the women have short shorts and crop tops, but I can guarantee you, most people are there for the wings, beer, and sports vs. the way the waitresses dress.

FWIW - I think this movie thing is ok...if that is your thing. As a woman, it's skeevy to me, though. Any "ladies night", "ladies only", women empowerment, etc. makes my skin crawl. Blech. Sitting in a theater with all women is one thing. Sitting in one with all women ONLY because they are women is just gross.

I guess they can say anything they want, but that's not the way federal law works, and interpretation of state or federal law in state courts have ruled that men can be considered a protected class. I guess the prime case is in traditionally female dominated occupations like nursing or secretarial work. There have been successfully won lawsuits where men claimed discrimination on the basis of men being discriminated by the dominant class (women). I guess it's a lot harder to win such a suit when it's an occupation where there are generally more men than women. It's generally harder to prove discrimination against men as a general rule, but not impossible.

https://www.archives.gov/eeo/terminology.html

Protected Class: The groups protected from the employment discrimination by law. These groups include men and women on the basis of sex; any group which shares a common race, religion, color, or national origin; people over 40; and people with physical or mental handicaps. Every U.S. citizen is a member of some protected class, and is entitled to the benefits of EEO law. However, the EEO laws were passed to correct a history of unfavorable treatment of women and minority group members.​

And in California there's definitely been a case where "ladies night" has been ruled to be illegal discrimination if they actually enforced it. Here's one of the most cited cases, where a car wash had a "ladies night" discount. The Unruh Civil Rights Act has been very broadly interpreted.

http://law.justia.com/cases/california/supreme-court/3d/40/24.html

The legality of sex-based price discounts cannot depend on the subjective value judgments about which types of sex-based distinctions are important or harmful. The express language of the Unruh Act provides a clear and objective standard by which to determine the legality of the practices at issue. The Legislature has clearly stated that business establishments must provide "equal ... advantages ... [and] privileges" to all customers "no matter what their sex." (§ 51.) Strong public policy supports application of the Act in this case. The defendants have advanced no convincing argument that this court should carve out a judicial exception for their sex-based price discounts. The straightforward proscription of the Act should be respected.​

I've heard of local school where there's a "Dad's Club", which is a registered nonprofit organization. I got curious and found out more about it, and women are actually allowed to join, but they've just kept the name.

Have you ever been? We go, as a family, and there are PLENTY of women there (as patrons) and TONS of families. The food is actually very good. Yes, the women have short shorts and crop tops, but I can guarantee you, most people are there for the wings, beer, and sports vs. the way the waitresses dress.

FWIW - I think this movie thing is ok...if that is your thing. As a woman, it's skeevy to me, though. Any "ladies night", "ladies only", women empowerment, etc. makes my skin crawl. Blech. Sitting in a theater with all women is one thing. Sitting in one with all women ONLY because they are women is just gross.

Gross? Why gross?

I think it's wrong! I couldn't imagine that going over well with many women if they only had men's night. I've banned my kids from this science camp that has one session for only girls and one session for everyone, where's the boys only session?

Why would any of the women care if they had an all men's night? What possible reason would they have to complain?

And banning your kids from a science camp because they have a girl's only session? Why?

Protected Class: The groups protected from the employment discrimination by law
Not applicable to theater patrons - unless the theater hires all and only the women attending the events.
The legality of sex-based price discounts
No indication of discounts - hard to tell, though, since both shows are sold out; single-night, not ongoing, event; not in California so that state's laws don't apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter