The Z family takes WONDER-ful Alaska! 9/1/14

I know how you feel, sometimes I feel like I am always the one running the show. But so far so good, no complaints from anyone.:thumbsup2

Just a little more info for you on the horseback ride. We are not paying anymore for the 3:30PM ride, then we would have paid for the 8:00AM. The write up on the Alaska Excursion just talk about snacks, no meal, so I think it is different from the late sunset ride the ship offers. We are paying $159+tax, per adult. I think Disney is $174+tax for the early ride and more for the sunset ride. Anyway, just something to think about.:goodvibes

I know how you feel, sometimes I feel like I am always the one running the show. But so far so good, no complaints from anyone.:thumbsup2

Just a little more info for you on the horseback ride. We are not paying anymore for the 3:30PM ride, then we would have paid for the 8:00AM. The write up on the Alaska Excursion just talk about snacks, no meal, so I think it is different from the late sunset ride the ship offers. We are paying $159+tax, per adult. I think Disney is $174+tax for the early ride and more for the sunset ride. Anyway, just something to think about.:goodvibes

Oooh no way!!!! Ok I'm definitely going to check that out tonight!!
Thank you so very much!!:goodvibes

Both of those look really cool! I think I'm going to push that our back up be either the zip line or the kayak adventure. :goodvibes

Zip lining sounds awesome!! I would definitely be up for that...not sure about anyone else though :sad2:

Do any of you feel lie you're steam rolling family?

My husband isn't giving me any hints or ideas as to what he wants to do, so i share your frustration/concern. Every time I suggest something he goes..."um i guess, sounds good" argh!

Oh! And I LOVE playing BINGO on board as well!! It's so much fun, even though I never win! hah

Zip lining sounds awesome!! I would definitely be up for that...not sure about anyone else though :sad2:

My husband isn't giving me any hints or ideas as to what he wants to do, so i share your frustration/concern. Every time I suggest something he goes..."um i guess, sounds good" argh!

Oh! And I LOVE playing BINGO on board as well!! It's so much fun, even though I never win! hah

Pi know I think zip lining would be amazing!!! :woohoo: we shall see

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has family like that. I mean I LOVE planning but some input would be nice lol

I never win either. Oh we'll it's still fun!!!! :rotfl2:

Good Morning! :surfweb:

Four more days before our stay cation is over.... :worried:

This is always the hardest part for me. Usually by the 5th day of any vacation I start panicking over the fact that it'll be over soon. LOL My anxiety knows no bounds! This is probably why I try to have another Disney vacation booked before I get home. :lmao:

So in my usual fashion I got up this morning and counted how much longer until Alaska!!!! 9 more weeks!! Just 9 more!!!! :banana::cool1::dance3::yay:

So next I am going to start focusing on packing. I don't know WHAT to pack! This is such an odd trip to me. It's not sunny Florida or a cruise to Cast away Cay. Any one have any packing lists that they are using or have used for Alaska? What would you pack that would be different than a tropical cruise?

Good Morning! :surfweb:

Four more days before our stay cation is over.... :worried:

This is always the hardest part for me. Usually by the 5th day of any vacation I start panicking over the fact that it'll be over soon. LOL My anxiety knows no bounds! This is probably why I try to have another Disney vacation booked before I get home. :lmao:

So in my usual fashion I got up this morning and counted how much longer until Alaska!!!! 9 more weeks!! Just 9 more!!!! :banana::cool1::dance3::yay:

So next I am going to start focusing on packing. I don't know WHAT to pack! This is such an odd trip to me. It's not sunny Florida or a cruise to Cast away Cay. Any one have any packing lists that they are using or have used for Alaska? What would you pack that would be different than a tropical cruise?

Pack layers!! I lived in the pacific NW for 10 years and layers is key. (We now live in Maine, close to you in NH!) Anyway, if you have a gore tex shell type jacket that is waterproof I would bring that, and a vest and a sweatshirt. I would plan on wearing all 3 when cold, and then depending on the weather, shedding a layer or two. Weather changes quick in the NW, (Like in NE!) and rain is often. This way you are covered for any quick changes in temp. Hope that helps!! Good luck packing. Wish I was leaving in 9 weeks. My Sig is WAY TOO LONG! :hyper:

ETA: Make sure your jacket has a hood! Forgot to include that. (For rain)

Pack layers!! I lived in the pacific NW for 10 years and layers is key. (We now live in Maine, close to you in NH!) Anyway, if you have a gore tex shell type jacket that is waterproof I would bring that, and a vest and a sweatshirt. I would plan on wearing all 3 when cold, and then depending on the weather, shedding a layer or two. Weather changes quick in the NW, (Like in NE!) and rain is often. This way you are covered for any quick changes in temp. Hope that helps!! Good luck packing. Wish I was leaving in 9 weeks. My Sig is WAY TOO LONG! :hyper:

ETA: Make sure your jacket has a hood! Forgot to include that. (For rain)

Oh no way! A fellow New Englander! :thumbsup2 So basically pack for something similar to our fall/spring time. I do have a really nice north face jacket, it has the fuzzy under coat and the waterproof shell. They can be attached or separated so that might work well!

simple!

less shorts and swimsuits, more pants and sweatshirts (and jackets, gloves, beanies) :goodvibes

:lmao:

But seriously, you think hat and gloves? Yikes this is going to be really strange!

Oh no way! A fellow New Englander! :thumbsup2 So basically pack for something similar to our fall/spring time. I do have a really nice north face jacket, it has the fuzzy under coat and the waterproof shell. They can be attached or separated so that might work well!

:lmao:

But seriously, you think hat and gloves? Yikes this is going to be really strange!

I would bring gloves... just in case. And your jacket sounds perfect!

Yep, fellow New Englander!! I grew up in MA and ME. My husband and I used to live in NH. We actually got married there and lived there our first year of married life before we headed out west for a while. We lived in Center Conway and got married at the little brown congregational church in Conway Village. Our reception was in Jackson at the Red Fox pub. Which I am sad to say has now moved. We went back and took a picture of our kids on the covered bridge and now have it next to our wedding photo of us and our bridal party on the same bridge. :lovestruc It is fun being back in NE after being away for so long because we live so close to Conway now we were able to go back last summer and show the kids our first home that we ever purchased. They asked if it was a garage. :rotfl2: (It was that tiny!! :rotfl:)

I dunno! :confused3 Looking at pictures from people's trip reports people are wearing hats at least for the Tracy Arm day (which I hear can be quite windy) Small and easy to pack, so why not, right? :)

I would bring gloves... just in case. And your jacket sounds perfect!

Yep, fellow New Englander!! I grew up in MA and ME. My husband and I used to live in NH. We actually got married there and lived there our first year of married life before we headed out west for a while. We lived in Center Conway and got married at the little brown congregational church in Conway Village. Our reception was in Jackson at the Red Fox pub. Which I am sad to say has now moved. We went back and took a picture of our kids on the covered bridge and now have it next to our wedding photo of us and our bridal party on the same bridge. :lovestruc It is fun being back in NE after being away for so long because we live so close to Conway now we were able to go back last summer and show the kids our first home that we ever purchased. They asked if it was a garage. :rotfl2: (It was that tiny!! :rotfl:)

That is too funny!!! DMIL is ALWAYS going up to north conway. She goes so much they know her by name at the Eagle Mountain House resort! :rotfl2: NE is fun, although this winter was brutal!

I dunno! :confused3 Looking at pictures from people's trip reports people are wearing hats at least for the Tracy Arm day (which I hear can be quite windy) Small and easy to pack, so why not, right? :)

exactly! i'll throw a pair in my suitcase just incase! I was talking to a cruise friend of ours who just got off of the Magic for the Med Cruise. She said there were a couple of nights it was chilly and the cast members were bringing blankets to cruisers on the top deck. Blankets would be good!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Last day of our stay cation and I feel like I've done NOTHING! :lmao: We fished, swam, I did a lot of reading, and watch so much soccer most of this vacation. It was nice to relax but I am starting to get antsy to get busy again. DH and I discussed doing some projects around the house now that we are "refreshed" and I do want to start crafting again. :thumbsup2

Soooo speaking of crafting... Have y'all heard about those "tie blankets"? I have two of them that a friend made DH and I as a Christmas Gift two years ago

As you can see EVERYONE knows that DH and I love the Mouse :cutie: I was thinking these would be great for Tracy Arm day, or if we want to sit up on the deck and nature watch. I think I want to make one for DMIL and DFIL and surprise them with it the day we leave for Vancouver. What to you think??

Happy Sunday everyone!

Soooo speaking of crafting... Have y'all heard about those "tie blankets"? I have two of them that a friend made DH and I as a Christmas Gift two years ago.

As you can see EVERYONE knows that DH and I love the Mouse :cutie: I was thinking these would be great for Tracy Arm day, or if we want to sit up on the deck and nature watch. I think I want to make one for DMIL and DFIL and surprise them with it the day we leave for Vancouver. What to you think??

Of course, you can't predict the weather going through Tracy Arm. It may be not be windy. Anyway, my advice is to save your luggage space. While those blankets aren't that heavy, they don't fold up very small either. We went through Tracy Arm the last of May. It was not windy up top. I purchased a DCL fleece headband that went over my ears and that was sufficient to keep my head warm. You are going through a lot of ice, the air is bound to be chilly. Blankets are also provided by DCL for the decks.

Of course, you can't predict the weather going through Tracy Arm. It may be not be windy. Anyway, my advice is to save your luggage space. While those blankets aren't that heavy, they don't fold up very small either. We went through Tracy Arm the last of May. It was not windy up top. I purchased a DCL fleece headband that went over my ears and that was sufficient to keep my head warm. You are going through a lot of ice, the air is bound to be chilly. Blankets are also provided by DCL for the decks.

That's the one reservation I have in making these. DD has one of those things... I don't remember what they are called.. they look like big plastic bags you stick items like clothes, blankets, towels ect, in it and then suck all the air out and it flattens them like a pancake. I don't know it that would make a difference and/or be worth it.

You're right though you have no way of knowing how it is going to be. Ive read TR's and talked to other people who have done Alaskan cruises and you just don't know.

Definitely going to think hard about this one before going ahead with it. If I don't do the blankets what could be something fun I could do as a surprise for DMIL and DFIL? Something to get them into the spirit!

That's the one reservation I have in making these. DD has one of those things... I don't remember what they are called.. they look like big plastic bags you stick items like clothes, blankets, towels ect, in it and then suck all the air out and it flattens them like a pancake. I don't know it that would make a difference and/or be worth it.

You're right though you have no way of knowing how it is going to be. Ive read TR's and talked to other people who have done Alaskan cruises and you just don't know.

Definitely going to think hard about this one before going ahead with it. If I don't do the blankets what could be something fun I could do as a surprise for DMIL and DFIL? Something to get them into the spirit!

You can buy Disney print fleece and make them scarves or ear muffs. They are definitely easier to pack.

that would be ideal for packing for the trip...but useless when packing to go home unless you plan on bringing your vacuum along...just a thought :lmao:

that would be ideal for packing for the trip...but useless when packing to go home unless you plan on bringing your vacuum along...just a thought :lmao:

They do make the Spacesaver bags that you just squeeze the excess air out. The problem with using these bags is you think you are saving so much space and end up adding more weight to your bags, especially if you are trying to stay under 50 pounds.

LOL! I thought about that and was wondering if I could ask a cast member to borrow their vacuum... but that would probably lead to some odd looks :upsidedow

They do make the Spacesaver bags that you just squeeze the excess air out. The problem with using these bags is you think you are saving so much space and end up adding more weight to your bags, especially if you are trying to stay under 50 pounds.

You're absolutely right. I'm thinking we are omitting the disney blanket idea. I'm going to start looking for some Disney sweatshirts or something. Those we will need and won't take up as much room. :thumbsup2

happy 4th of july everyone!!!!! :banana::cool1:

I figured I would post a quick update since I'm sitting here drinking some delicious wine as we wait out this hurricane. :rolleyes2 We aren't getting anything nearly as bad as other parts of the country but it is making for a windy, rainy 4th. I also want to share a surprise with you!!!

I CAN NOT BELIEVE MY COUNTER HAS 1 MONTH IN IT!!!! :hourglass Time is just ticking by for our cruise and I can't feel less prepared! :laughing: I started looking at packing lists, planning on which lens to bring with my camera, and trying to decide what to do for a fun surprise for the family. Work (and world cup) has taken up so much of my time lately that i'm feeling so off my planning game. Here is a list of items I feel I need to confirm before we get into August...

1.) Get a packing list together.
2.) Have some sort of a surprise either planned or completed.
3.) Actually figure out our second excursion. (Oh yea, looks like horse back riding is completely out now)
4.) Decide if a pass to the rainforest room is worth it (and then purchase if it is)
5.) Confirm all travel arrangements and call the Cactus Club Cafe to see how far in advance I can book our dinner reservation.

I don't think it's that big of a list.... right? :confused3 So let's break it down.

That packing list needs to be MY items. I can look at packing lists online all day, but unless it says "Pack your blue hooded New England Revolution sweatshirt" It does me no good. I usually have a list planned with all of my specific items that need to be packed. I also will pack it all, then have anxiety about what i may (or may not) have forgotten, unpack everything and start over. However most of my "go to" lists are for WDW and warm weather cruises. This is all new territory for me. I really need to work on this list!

I have to thank all of you for giving me the feedback about the tie blankets. After thinking about what you said, my fears about packing were confirmed. I'm trying to think of something fun for everyone. :scratching I've been to the DISigns boards and I had these made!

I can't wait to make Magnets for the stateroom doors! ::yes:: But I think I might want to get some sweatshirts or something... maybe matching ones for us all to wear... I'm sure DH and DFIL will LOVE THAT! :lmao:

Excursions... ugh, again I feel like i'm steamrolling. DH and I have another date with DFIL and DMIL coming up. I'm going to attempt to figure out an excursion with every one again. If I hear the "what ever you think will be the best" again then I think I'm going to go with my gut. (not sure what my gut is leaning towards but I'll figure it out)

Now, Rainforest room.... YAY or NAY? Thoughts? Never done it.

And finally the travel plans... Everything is booked, DD has graciously agreed to watch the dogs which is HUGE!, and now I need book the transportation to the airport (or guilt another family member into bringing us to the airport) and call Cactus Club Cafe. How soon do you think they were take a reservation??

Listen, I warned you I was an OCD planner! :hyper:

I want to thank you all again for helping me with the planning and being my soundboard for my OCD tendencies. :grouphug: I'm really looking forward to this trip and sharing it with you when I get back and do a TR. That being said I wanted to share a surprise with you!! DH and I have decided to plan a WDW Vacation for next January!!!!! :cool1::cheer2::dance3::banana::woohoo::yay: I am beyond excited since we haven't been since 2012. I miss "home" so much! I hope I'll be able to keep you all entertained and you'll want to follow along on our journeys!

Good morning!! It's another Sunday funday in the Z house!! I hope you're all enjoying your 4th of July weekend!!

DH had to work a big shut down yesterday. 15 hour day for him YIKES!! But hey it is extra $$ for disney vacations!! So yesterday I was left to my own devices and I had a wonderful day. I love spending time with DH but sometimes us girls need a girl day!

I went to get a much needed manicure
Went for a summer shimmery nude color which is sooooo unlike me. But the man doing my nails reminded me it isn't winter and dark colors aren't for this time of year.

Then I headed over to the craft store which is in the same strip mall as the nail salon. I love making wreaths for my front door and it was time for a new one that screamed summer!! I retrieved the supplies I needed for the wreath and then continued to walk around the store for fun. To my luck I found magnet paper!! SCORE! I bought it and I am going to attempt to make my stateroom door magnets this afternoon. I'll keep you posted on that!! I also got some ideas for making hats or shirts for us but I'm not sure I want to tackle those just yet.

I got home, cracked open the wine and started making my wreath. Here is the finished product.

Not my best work but between the wine and being new to wreath making I think it came out pretty good!! Better than my last one!! Hahahahaaaa

After completing the wreath I threw on the Costa Rica World Cup game (still depressed they lost in penalty kicks) and decided to check my email. To my surprise the family we rent DVC points from had replied to my email about our trip to disney in January!!! They said they called and confirmed the BCV studios availability and we just needed to give them the ok to book it!! Woot woot!!! I texted DH, who was in the middle of a shut down crisis, and he responded with "do it! I need a disney trip to look forward to to get through work" LOL so we are all set for January!!

So that's all that I have for now. I am hoping to cross the surprise off my list with the magnets. I'm going to work on a packing list this week so I hopefully can feel some what prepared!

Talk to you all soon!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter