The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

We will want vgc in late oct, mid dec and late winter. WDW not sure as we have never been but probably semi off season if there is one..... No summer no major holiday and no spring break. We are thinking about a small contract at Saratoga?
The vgc stays will likely be 2 nights to 4 or 5 max.

I foresee us going to wDW and aulani 1-2 times each in the next 5-6 years

My advice from one SO CAL resident to another is to BUY DIRECT which ever resort you choose! The convenience of LIVING so close to Disneyland is too great to pass up!! :cheer2: Also if you need to combine your points for a 7 month reservation but nothing is available @ VGC you can stay @ the DLR Hotels! :thumbsup2 You can get your perks without the airfare! We have already visited Aulani this past June with just a 7 month out reservation so that shouldn't be an issue. If your trying to go off season times to WDW that shouldn't be too hard either. Majority of our points are at BCV purchased resale in 2008 but VGC points are from direct sales in 2009 & always borrow / combine for most of our VGC reservations so 7 months or less is usually not a problem for a few night stays! (Sometimes in the Grand Villa) :worship: We chose BCV to be close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios & only travel once or twice every few years ( due to attend Christmas 2013 - 14 because of discount WDW AP's for DVC members! ) PLUS we really MISS WDW Holidays! It's not all crammed into 2 parks like DL! We love BOTH places but if $$$ was the factor to sell DVC, we would sell BCV before VGC cause it's where we reside!! :cool1:

My advice from one SO CAL resident to another is to BUY DIRECT which ever resort you choose! The convenience of LIVING so close to Disneyland is too great to pass up!! :cheer2: Also if you need to combine your points for a 7 month reservation but nothing is available @ VGC you can stay @ the DLR Hotels! :thumbsup2 You can get your perks without the airfare! We have already visited Aulani this past June with just a 7 month out reservation so that shouldn't be an issue. If your trying to go off season times to WDW that shouldn't be too hard either. Majority of our points are at BCV purchased resale in 2008 but VGC points are from direct sales in 2009 & always borrow / combine for most of our VGC reservations so 7 months or less is usually not a problem for a few night stays! (Sometimes in the Grand Villa) :worship: We chose BCV to be close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios & only travel once or twice every few years ( due to attend Christmas 2013 - 14 because of discount WDW AP's for DVC members! ) PLUS we really MISS WDW Holidays! It's not all crammed into 2 parks like DL! We love BOTH places but if $$$ was the factor to sell DVC, we would sell BCV before VGC cause it's where we reside!! :cool1:

thanks for the post- is I decided to buy non VGC would you really still recommend buying direct? I know i could use the points at the hotels at DLR but if I were to spend $100+ point I would just buy at VGC. THe only reason I was thinking SSR was for the lower cost per point and MF but I know the MF could take a jump- just like VGC had a nearly 6% this year.

thanks for the post- is I decided to buy non VGC would you really still recommend buying direct? I know i could use the points at the hotels at DLR but if I were to spend $100+ point I would just buy at VGC. THe only reason I was thinking SSR was for the lower cost per point and MF but I know the MF could take a jump- just like VGC had a nearly 6% this year.

That depends on how many points you will be purchasing for your stay at any other given resort besides VGC. If you have planned out when & how many points you may need for SSR (50 points?) OR Aulani then maybe resale sounds great! Will you be needing to combine your points for 7 month ressies?
Will get the urge for addonitis to acquire more points down the road? Also, how many times will you be going out of state VS staying in your own backyard? Our 1st contract was purchased in FL because there was nothing by us at that time and yes it WAS cheaper to go resale also at that moment because we planned to use during the high season (450 points) NOW everything has changed for US since we started such as VGC right in our own backyard pixiedust: & the restrictions Disney has placed upon resale purchasers! :sad2: (although we are the exception to the rule for NOW by buying BEFORE 2011 for it may not last long) THIS is why I say yes to any SO CAL buying DVC who wants to be spoiled by weekender staycations on sometimes short notices with the Disney Magic on hand (PAP's - YEAH) !! :cheer2: Everyone has their OWN reasons for DVC so if saving $$ in the long run is important for you then that must be your answer! ;) ENJOY your time with DVC whichever resort you go to ! :goodvibes I know we do!! :thumbsup2

That depends on how many points you will be purchasing for your stay at any other given resort besides VGC. If you have planned out when & how many points you may need for SSR (50 points?) OR Aulani then maybe resale sounds great! Will you be needing to combine your points for 7 month ressies?
Will get the urge for addonitis to acquire more points down the road? Also, how many times will you be going out of state VS staying in your own backyard? Our 1st contract was purchased in FL because there was nothing by us at that time and yes it WAS cheaper to go resale also at that moment because we planned to use during the high season (450 points) NOW everything has changed for US since we started such as VGC right in our own backyard pixiedust: & the restrictions Disney has placed upon resale purchasers! :sad2: (although we are the exception to the rule for NOW by buying BEFORE 2011 for it may not last long) THIS is why I say yes to any SO CAL buying DVC who wants to be spoiled by weekender staycations on sometimes short notices with the Disney Magic on hand (PAP's - YEAH) !! :cheer2: Everyone has their OWN reasons for DVC so if saving $$ in the long run is important for you then that must be your answer! ;) ENJOY your time with DVC whichever resort you go to ! :goodvibes I know we do!! :thumbsup2
Excellent things to think about. We havent been to dlr on a weekend for 20+ years. However, as the kids get older we will start having to buy the premium passes and likely weekend stays due to school.. The addl points are somewhat fluff from our original plan of what we were wanting-- -approx 10 day Disney vacation every 2-3 years then I changed the rules on DH and decided I wanted a little more to have short stays at grand:)

We bought points this week at VGC. Had purchased Aulani on our last DCL cruise in November but ended up not signing the contract after we got home as I didn't want my home to be Aulani. We live in So CA and wanted the 11 month window option for VGC.
Does anyone know how often VGC has been available either on the resale market & Disney direct (well the disney direct would I guess only be after the resale and ROFR?)
I have only seen 3 available on resale market in the last few months- 2 with too many points than I desired & the other with point cost > $100 and we thought we would just prefer to buy direct.
We now have to decide if we want to sign on a 3rd contract for another 50 points but have been debating possibly owning points at an alternate DVC resort and buying much cheaper on the resale market? if we decide resale- there seem to be an abundance of non VGC options. Just wondering if we pass on the 50 pt VGC contract we were wait listed for how often they have been coming up available again in recent history?

It didn't seem worth saving <$2500-3000 on our contract to have the restrictions of the resale market. does this seem crazy thinking? I know it is a good chunk of $$ but it keeps our options open to the entire collection that I am uncertain how much we would use??

You are lucky to have been able to purchase. I've been on a waitlist to purchase 65 more points at VGC for over 7 months. I have March use year and I guess no one in that year wants to default or sale. If you have the option to to do a direct add on I would take it. I had purchased 50 points right before VGC sold out and now wish I'd gotten more at that time. What use year did you get?

You are lucky to have been able to purchase. I've been on a waitlist to purchase 65 more points at VGC for over 7 months. I have March use year and I guess no one in that year wants to default or sale. If you have the option to to do a direct add on I would take it. I had purchased 50 points right before VGC sold out and now wish I'd gotten more at that time. What use year did you get?

Yes we we're excited to buy at VGC. We got march use year JUST KIDDING!!:upsidedow.
We were advised that there were people on the wait list for over 1.5 years. We wait listed for any use year and got June after a very short period of time. We were offered over 200 points and I am just struggling with how much I should buy direct vs resale at vgc. OR resale for another property. We have already signed for a portion of them direct. The price difference for resale vs direct just was not enough to entice us or make it worth the time for resale and the non direct options.
It's the additional amount that I am undecided on. For certain we know we want a fair amount direct and at vGC. Just trying to sort out if I can buy cheaper for a few of the points and if it will meet our needs

Yes we we're excited to buy at VGC. We got march use year JUST KIDDING!!:upsidedow.
We were advised that there were people on the wait list for over 1.5 years. We wait listed for any use year and got June after a very short period of time. We were offered over 200 points and I am just struggling with how much I should buy direct vs resale at vgc. OR resale for another property. We have already signed for a portion of them direct. The price difference for resale vs direct just was not enough to entice us or make it worth the time for resale and the non direct options.
It's the additional amount that I am undecided on. For certain we know we want a fair amount direct and at vGC. Just trying to sort out if I can buy cheaper for a few of the points and if it will meet our needs

We have 200 VGC points we bought direct last year after having been ROFR'd twice by Disney for resale contracts there.

Keep in mind, VGC has a pretty high point requirement per night. We have owned at OKW since 1993 and had spent most of our stays at WDW there, so we didn't fully take into account the big increase in # of points needed at VGC.

Of course, most of our stays at VGC are shorter than our WDW vacations because we can drive to SoCal easily and often.

We're now contemplating adding on more at VGC, but since we won't be needing a ton more, can't decide if the resale hassle is worth it. Closing costs on Ca are a lot more than at DVC in Fl and when you add that cost to a smallish contract, the resale vs direct difference isn't usually all that great.

Of course, most of our stays at VGC are shorter than our WDW vacations because we can drive to SoCal easily and often.

Ironically, this may be the very reason we end up selling our VGC points. :goodvibes Never did I ever think I would utter "sell" and "VGC" in the same sentence. :rotfl: We have found that because we make short trips down to LA, we don't really need the amenities of a villa for just the two of us. Instead, we recently purchased points at Aulani because our trips to Honolulu are at least a week long and we find that having a villa (as opposed to a hotel room) adds greatly to our comfort level.

Ironically, this may be the very reason we end up selling our VGC points. :goodvibes Never did I ever think I would utter "sell" and "VGC" in the same sentence. :rotfl: We have found that because we make short trips down to LA, we don't really need the amenities of a villa for just the two of us. Instead, we recently purchased points at Aulani because our trips to Honolulu are at least a week long and we find that having a villa (as opposed to a hotel room) adds greatly to our comfort level.

hmmm do you have March use year points ;)?
I would still keep my VGC even if I just stayed in a studio. The last time I paid cash for a DLR hotel room was Destination D and I had a great room deal at DLH for under $200 a night. We are looking at joining some family at DLR in May..VGC was totally booked already, of course, and my points are needed for a trip in 2014, so am staying at Paradise Pier with the rest of the family. Holy cow..nights range from$336-$389 (weeknight vs weekend) so that plus taxes put our 5 night PP stay at $2,018...for Paradise Pier! Ouch..A bit of a wake up call as to how much I appreciate owning VGC and not adding that cost to my vacations..Hotel rooms go up..up..up.. while my DVC is paid for.Yes, MF go up too, but not like that.

I would still keep my VGC even if I just stayed in a studio. The last time I paid cash for a DLR hotel room was Destination D and I had a great room deal at DLH for under $200 a night. We are looking at joining some family at DLR in May..VGC was totally booked already, of course, and my points are needed for a trip in 2014, so am staying at Paradise Pier with the rest of the family. Holy cow..nights range from$336-$389 (weeknight vs weekend) so that plus taxes put our 5 night PP stay at $2,018...for Paradise Pier! Ouch..A bit of a wake up call as to how much I appreciate owning VGC and not adding that cost to my vacations..Hotel rooms go up..up..up.. while my DVC is paid for.Yes, MF go up too, but not like that.

We just paid $475 a night at the grand midweek on a discounted rate. I remember staying there for $149, the annual pass rate never seems to go below $249 recently and even those times are few and far between.

If you have June UY points and decide to sell them, please let me know!

We actually passed on VGC when it first opened. We went to a sales meeting, big event, at PP and the incentives were good. But our son lives in Santa Monica, and like you, going to DLR was no big deal - an hour drive. So we passed.

Then we did buy at Aulani while on a cruise. But when we realized we were going to use those points rarely for Aulani, that we went to DLR a whole lot more, we took advantage of the DVC buy back offer caused by the annula dues snafu, and sold that contract back to Disney. We actually MADE $$ on that somehow, plus got a free vacation to DLR out of it. Then we used that $$ to buy our VGC points.

Now we are on the hunt for more.

Hello all you lucky ducks who own at VGC. We are HOPING to be able to slip in 3 or 4 nights in a studio at your home resort next August. I know availability will change between now and when I can actually book here in a few weeks but am getting anxious about it... Would anybody be willing to check for me for studio availability for August 4th-8th? If the studios are all already gone then I need to seriously work on Plan B (either choking on the points for a 1 bedroom or consider the option of booking a room at Paradise Pier). I guess as part of Plan B I also need to know if there are 1 bedrooms available too huh?! We want to stop in CA on our way to Aulani and I am really hoping to reserve most of our points for that part...so I am nervous about getting everything planned & pulled together so I can start seriously watching for airfare. I am afraid to book air until I secure our villa ressies and booking 2 hard to get resorts at the 7 month window is making me stress just a wee bit! I am just too anal for my own good sometimes!! :rotfl:

Anyway, TIA if anybody can help!!

Hello all you lucky ducks who own at VGC. We are HOPING to be able to slip in 3 or 4 nights in a studio at your home resort next August. I know availability will change between now and when I can actually book here in a few weeks but am getting anxious about it... Would anybody be willing to check for me for studio availability for August 4th-8th? If the studios are all already gone then I need to seriously work on Plan B (either choking on the points for a 1 bedroom or consider the option of booking a room at Paradise Pier). I guess as part of Plan B I also need to know if there are 1 bedrooms available too huh?! We want to stop in CA on our way to Aulani and I am really hoping to reserve most of our points for that part...so I am nervous about getting everything planned & pulled together so I can start seriously watching for airfare. I am afraid to book air until I secure our villa ressies and booking 2 hard to get resorts at the 7 month window is making me stress just a wee bit! I am just too anal for my own good sometimes!! :rotfl:

Anyway, TIA if anybody can help!!

If you're checking out on the 8th, so far so good. The D23 Expo is that weekend and the studios are booked from the 8th on.

Oh the elusive March use year! My points are the very common June use year (it does seem like there's a lot of June use year's out there doesn't it?). We are actually staying at Paradise Pier in February and the rate is $280 including tax (weekend rate) - decided too late and there were no GVC rooms available. We also own 300 points at BCV so sometimes we use those points to book rooms at PP or DLR so that's worked out pretty well for us. However, you are right in that nothing beats the Grand!

Then we did buy at Aulani while on a cruise. But when we realized we were going to use those points rarely for Aulani, that we went to DLR a whole lot more, we took advantage of the DVC buy back offer caused by the annula dues snafu, and sold that contract back to Disney. We actually MADE $$ on that somehow, plus got a free vacation to DLR out of it. Then we used that $$ to buy our VGC points.

Wow, now THAT is a good story - making money from the mouse! :cool1: I wish I would have bought my Aulani points earlier so I could get the subsidized mfs. We have 180 VGC June use year points and like your previous post pointed out - doesn't go as far as you would think. We were on the fence about whether to add more points at VGC so we could bring friends or relatives with us during the hard to get holiday weeks, but decided - nah. Instead, we added on at Aulani so we can go there over the holidays all by ourselves! :rotfl:

If you're checking out on the 8th, so far so good. The D23 Expo is that weekend and the studios are booked from the 8th on.

Thank you! Yes, we would be checking out on the 7th or the 8th. I was originally thinking 3 nights but DH said we should probably spring for 4 nights so we're sure to get a good park fix and we'd rather do weekday points than add the extra night onto the front end - so 4 nights would put us checking out on the 8th. I also figured it would be cheaper to fly maybe on Sunday than Saturday. Maybe. Just a little. We're not D23 members so the Expo wasn't even on my radar but now that you menion it I do remember reading something about it in the last Disney Files. Crossing my fingers that this availability holds for 3 more weeks until I can book!! Thanks again!

So I finally decided to just get the small add on at SSR but then I come accross the 20 page thread of resale possible changes to access and possible further restrictions. not that that thread turned on the lightbulb- I know nothing is ever a guarantee..... Now trying to decide how much this will weigh into my decision. I think I have enough VGC points for my desired use there and the SSR would supplement my intermittent WDW or Aulani-- but if I am going to have possible restrictions than what? but the flipside is if I buy all at VGC I don't see myself wanting to use them all there to- those extra points are for different places every so often..... but if buying direct would keep allowing me flexibility at the other clubs then that is the choice I should make- buy direct and if I buy direct I would spend $130 for VGC vs $110 for SSR, etc.
HHHmmm keep with my plan of just by at the lower cost and hope for grandfatherig & good luck or just say goodbye to several more thousand dollars:scratchin

This would be my request:
5506, 6500, 5500, 4500, 4506, 3522, 3500, 3506

My reasons:
x506 has a better angle to WOC than x500, but a tree directly outside the villas is an obstruction on lower floors.
6500 can have noise from other guests using the patio to view WOC.

3522 is closest and has the best angle to view WOC, but the trees are an issue.

Wish I had read all this before our trip! I didn't think about putting in a room request. I booked at the 11month window and checked in early 7:30am and asked for a high floor WOC view. We got 3500 which at first I was disappointed in but it ended up being good for us. It was close to the elevator and we enjoyed going up to the 6th floor to watch WOC, such a different view from up there. We've seen it in the park a few times so it was nice watching from up there our favorite parts!

Wish I had read all this before our trip! I didn't think about putting in a room request. I booked at the 11month window and checked in early 7:30am and asked for a high floor WOC view. We got 3500 which at first I was disappointed in but it ended up being good for us. It was close to the elevator and we enjoyed going up to the 6th floor to watch WOC, such a different view from up there. We've seen it in the park a few times so it was nice watching from up there our favorite parts!

Could you see WOC at all from 3500? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter