The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Hi, I've read a few pages of the thread but haven't found any info/recommendations about who to use to order groceries from. Can anyone advise?

We're planning a trip in August 2023, it will be my SIL, nephew, my son (boys will be 7 and 8) and myself. Possibly my friend may also be able to come (adult). So I'm looking at renting points for a 1 bed or 2 bed villa for 5 nights (weekday) for all of us and maybe a regular hotel room (any Disney resort or one within walking distance to the parks - depending on the cost) for a few more nights!
I own at SSR (200 points) but I'm guessing I'm very unlikely to be able to book at 7 months out! I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting a 1 or 2 bed if I am able to rent points? I know it's quite a few points and wasn't sure if one owner may rent that many? I would like to have a back-up plan I guess if I'm unable to get a rental!

Some thoughts + speculation:
- 1 and 2 BR VGC definitely last longer than studios. The studios are where the "impossible" reputation came from, IMO. And, 2nd half of August should have more availability than first half of August, due to kids returning to school.

-But the sure thing is to work with VGC points, of course. I would start looking for Transfers over the summer. If trying for a rental, I would start contacting the brokers at 12-13 months out to get on any lists they may have and check on then-current availability of points.

-There has been an uptick in VGC contacts on the market recently, and prices have cooled a little. With travel costs and everything else going on, I would guess there will be more points available for rent in the coming months. Just a hunch there. Yes it's going to be alot of points (350 for a 2br, for example), but there are plenty of people with those size contracts and/or banked points that need to be used.

Groceries - there are a few options and comes down to personal preference. You really can't go wrong, I think:
-Take Lansky from the airport, they include a grocery stop (verify for current info)
-Amazon Primenow
-Vons/Pavillions (same company)
-Instacart
-There is a Super Target a few large blocks down the road. You can Uber there & back if shopping is preferred to delivery

*Delivery works the same as WDW. They will cold store your items but will not sign for alcohol. We typically have groceries delivered just prior to our arrival, then request delivery to our room after checking in and receiving room number. Then if needed, we will use the Drizly app for refreshments. It's much faster, so no waiting around in a 2-4 hour window to sign for it.

Good luck with the reservation & have fun! :thumbsup2

Some thoughts + speculation:
- 1 and 2 BR VGC definitely last longer than studios. The studios are where the "impossible" reputation came from, IMO. And, 2nd half of August should have more availability than first half of August, due to kids returning to school.

-But the sure thing is to work with VGC points, of course. I would start looking for Transfers over the summer. If trying for a rental, I would start contacting the brokers at 12-13 months out to get on any lists they may have and check on then-current availability of points.

-There has been an uptick in VGC contacts on the market recently, and prices have cooled a little. With travel costs and everything else going on, I would guess there will be more points available for rent in the coming months. Just a hunch there. Yes it's going to be alot of points (350 for a 2br, for example), but there are plenty of people with those size contracts and/or banked points that need to be used.

Groceries - there are a few options and comes down to personal preference. You really can't go wrong, I think:
-Take Lansky from the airport, they include a grocery stop (verify for current info)
-Amazon Primenow
-Vons/Pavillions (same company)
-Instacart
-There is a Super Target a few large blocks down the road. You can Uber there & back if shopping is preferred to delivery

*Delivery works the same as WDW. They will cold store your items but will not sign for alcohol. We typically have groceries delivered just prior to our arrival, then request delivery to our room after checking in and receiving room number. Then if needed, we will use the Drizly app for refreshments. It's much faster, so no waiting around in a 2-4 hour window to sign for it.

Good luck with the reservation & have fun! :thumbsup2
Thank you!

That sounds promising about the point availability! I will know before the 1 month window what our dates are so I will start to ask around, look at rental sites etc :thumbsup2 It will be early August as nephew goes back to school on the 7th! As we're from the UK (SIL and nephew are in CA) we've got the whole of August before back to school!

I will take a look at the grocery options - thanks for such a comprehensive list! We're staying with my brother, SIL and nephew for a week or so before we head to DL so we can figure out the best option for us.

Another question - if we take Lansky from the airport would they have vehicles for 2/3 adults and 2 kids with car seats? I assume it's the same requirement for kids to be in car seats in the USA until they are 12 years old / 135cm?

Looking at buying in and was wondering how hard it is to get a 2 bdr at 7 months? I’d like to buy VGC, but right now buying WDW points and using them at VGC is more financially feasible IF it’s possible to even book at the 7mo mark.

ETA - I need coffee - just saw the posts above 🤣

Looking at buying in and was wondering how hard it is to get a 2 bdr at 7 months? I’d like to buy VGC, but right now buying WDW points and using them at VGC is more financially feasible IF it’s possible to even book at the 7mo mark.

Don't buy WDW points thinking you will be able to use them at VGC. Yes, it's possible that there may be some 2bdr availability some times during the year but it's not guaranteed. It's playing a game of roulette. If you want to stay at VGC consistently, you need to buy there.

Thank you!

That sounds promising about the point availability! I will know before the 1 month window what our dates are so I will start to ask around, look at rental sites etc :thumbsup2 It will be early August as nephew goes back to school on the 7th! As we're from the UK (SIL and nephew are in CA) we've got the whole of August before back to school!

I will take a look at the grocery options - thanks for such a comprehensive list! We're staying with my brother, SIL and nephew for a week or so before we head to DL so we can figure out the best option for us.

Another question - if we take Lansky from the airport would they have vehicles for 2/3 adults and 2 kids with car seats? I assume it's the same requirement for kids to be in car seats in the USA until they are 12 years old / 135cm?
I haven't taken Lansky for several years and we did not use car seats. There are tons of posts about them if you search for Lansky, should get plenty of hits. But to be safe I would contact them for current info.

For anyone interested:
I forgot to add my favorite tip for using the Drizly app (or grocery app also, if you are taking delivery yourself): When you go to the front lobby/area to meet the delivery... bring an empty rolling suitcase. Or maybe two, depending on the size of the order! :thumbsup2

This is not a wise strategy at many popular resorts, but particularly bad at VGC because it's so small. While you can probably snag something you want once in a while if you are flexible enough, to do this on a more consistent basis would likely be frustrating, IMHO.

LAX

Does everyone think it is acceptable to books an accessible room at the 7 month mark if that is all that is available even though we don’t need an accessible room? I just feel guilty about it but know if I don’t book someone else will.

Does everyone think it is acceptable to books an accessible room at the 7 month mark if that is all that is available even though we don’t need an accessible room? I just feel guilty about it but know if I don’t book someone else will.
There is only one accessible room in each category at VGC. The only accessible room with a decent location is the Grand Villa. We always book accessible rooms at WDW, but always take a regular room at VGC due to the poor location. The showers are OK for my disabled wife to navigate (not too high a step) and I belive the master bathroom regular toilets have bars (foggy on that one). If not she is able to manage without the extra HA amenities.

If it is still available at 7 months I would go ahead and take it.

There is only one accessible room in each category at VGC. The only accessible room with a decent location is the Grand Villa. We always book accessible rooms at WDW, but always take a regular room at VGC due to the poor location. The showers are OK for my disabled wife to navigate (not too high a step) and I belive the master bathroom regular toilets have bars (foggy on that one). If not she is able to manage without the extra HA amenities.

If it is still available at 7 months I would go ahead and take it.

Thanks- This is helpful! So there is one hearing accessible and one wheelchair accessible room per category? Do you happen to know where the one bedrooms are located?

Last edited:
Just survived our first trip through the ROFR monster. I don't think they liked the price I was trying to pay but they ultimately let me pass after a almost 45 day wait :)

Do I have any luck/hope for a quick welcome home trip sometime in March if I get my points in the next 30 days or will I have to push to May? Would likely go for a 2BR or 1BR for a few weekdays if possible.

Looking forward to visiting with my new neighbors poolside while enjoying the Craftsman Grill.

Just survived our first trip through the ROFR monster. I don't think they liked the price I was trying to pay but they ultimately let me pass after a almost 45 day wait :)

Do I have any luck/hope for a quick welcome home trip sometime in March if I get my points in the next 30 days or will I have to push to May? Would likely go for a 2BR or 1BR for a few weekdays if possible.

Looking forward to visiting with my new neighbors poolside while enjoying the Craftsman Grill.
Have you closed yet? Or just passed ROFR? I would imagine you wont have points for 2-4 weeks after full closing /deed recorded. Best of luck.

Have you closed yet? Or just passed ROFR? I would imagine you wont have points for 2-4 weeks after full closing /deed recorded. Best of luck.
Just passed and sent the cash. These sellers seem eager to sell so I'm hopeful we'll have points in 30 days but I'm a rookie so could be wrong.

Do I have any luck/hope for a quick welcome home trip sometime in March if I get my points in the next 30 days or will I have to push to May?
For clarification- if by 'welcome home trip' you mean Disney/DVC reaching into their own breakage inventory to provide you a room (when there is zero visible availability), that option is only available on a case by case basis for direct purchases- not resale. Hope you get your points loaded soon so you can start planning!

Just passed and sent the cash. These sellers seem eager to sell so I'm hopeful we'll have points in 30 days but I'm a rookie so could be wrong.

Hang in there! Did the title company give you a closing date? Here is hoping the sellers send back their docs promptly.

For clarification- if by 'welcome home trip' you mean Disney/DVC reaching into their own breakage inventory to provide you a room (when there is zero visible availability), that option is only available on a case by case basis for direct purchases- not resale. Hope you get your points loaded soon so you can start planning!
I wasn’t expecting that. I was thinking more of a DIY book it if I can find some days that work trip. Our purchase came with some 2021 points and we are eager to try our first trip to the grand cal resort now that we are joining the DVC family. So if we can get something in spring 2023 before those banked points expire that would be great. Winter 2022 could work but I expect anything under the 7 month window to be almost all taken.

We are traveling to WDW this weekend to consider a direct purchase so we might get that option there so something to consider as I hear they won’t do that for you if you have already booked something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter