• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The "They don't know they're going" pre-trip report

mummyal

<font color=darkorchid>Think it was too much jiggi
I know it's still a long way till we go but I couldn't wait to get started on a pre-TR, esp after reading everyone else's. Hope I won't be too long-winded (as I can be sometimes when I'm typing).

This will be our 3rd trip to DLRP (but first trip at Christmas). We will be there 18th-21st December and "we" are:

DH Peter & myself (photos were taken during our trip in April this year)
Dsc00141.jpg

DD Louise (6) – loves the Princesses, or maybe that should read ‘loves to be a Princess’ lol and other favourites include Minnie Mouse & Daisy Duck.
Dsc00164.jpg

DS Adam (3) – his most favourite favourite character is Donald Duck, followed by (in no particular order) Goofy, Pluto, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Pooh Bear, Eeyore, Tigger. He didn't really know much about Disney until his 2nd trip in April and he just seemed very taken by Donald Duck somehow.
Dsc00158.jpg

And here's a recent piccie of them both:
P1000300.jpg

I’m just a *wee* bit excited and counting down the days really. I’m quite lucky that DH agreed to go again this year considering we went in April. He’s probably regretting it now lol. I know the crowds will be mad and I know that we won’t be able to go on that many rides but I just want to be there for the Christmassy atmosphere and to see the Christmas shows. It’s going to be so magical – I can’t wait to see the kids’ faces when it snows on Main Street. There’s always EMH but I doubt that we’ll ever get to the park at 8 or even 8.30. We managed to in April simply because we managed to have breakfast in the park twice (once at 9.45 and another at 9.15). The kids and I will be up & dressed but it’s always DH we have to wait for.

Anyway, we have no set plans at the moment. We’ll work our days around the show & parade times but I think on the whole, we’re just going to go with the flow. We’ll be staying at Hotel New York. It took quite a while to decide between HNY & Sequoia Lodge but I think I just fancied a change plus it’s going to be cold in December. So having a shorter walk back to the hotel at the end of the day (ok, I know it’s only going to be shorter by 2-3 mins lol) will be most appreciated by my small people. I’m also looking forward to a bigger room too. I know we’re only there to sleep but whenever we’re in the room, my two run around & play like mad fools. So I’m sure they’ll appreciate the extra space as well.

Food
We have booked to eat at Inventions (Thurs, 7 pm), Sat – Mickey’s Magical Dinner and Sun – Brunch at Steakhouse at 12.30pm. We are undecided for Friday, so we'll just see what takes our fancy on the day. Don’t think we’ll eat at Café Mickey this time as we’ll be doing 3 character meals already (but never say never, as they say).

Rides
Must-do rides are Big Thunder Mountain and Tower of Terror. I haven’t been on PoTC, Indiana Jones, Rock & Roll or Phantom Manor but they’re not big must-do’s for me. Will go on them if the queues aren’t too bad (haha). I’d like to give Crush’s Coaster a go as well but I very much doubt I’ll be able to. Hopefully, the fastpasses that I will be buying on ebay soon will come in very handy!

DS will be overjoyed if he gets to see Donald Duck again. I’m sure DD would love to see Daisy (we didn’t see her in April) and also Jasmine & Belle (we didn’t see them then either).

I think that’s all for now. Will update as and when. Can't wait for the timetable to be out, so that I can start planning properly!

Great pre-trip!! I'll get mine done as soon as I think of a decent name for it! I had thought of one but someone has just posted a similar type name so I'll have to change it

Sounds like a lovely plan hun, Are you planning on telling the kids the day before you go?

Great trip report, sounds like you will have a blast.

We're going the exact same dates but staying at the DCR instead, like you we haven't told the kids and won't be until we get close to Folkestone....thats if we don't let slip before as there has been a few close calls already.

Sounds like a lovely plan hun, Are you planning on telling the kids the day before you go?

Nope. They'll find out when they arrive at Eurostar check-in (that's if we can keep it quiet till then lol). I haven't been to the Disney departure area at St Pancras (last time we went via Paris, so was just normal waiting area) but I'm assuming there'll be lots of Disney posters/banners around?! It will click with Louise then and possibly Adam. We did this the 1st time we went as well (when she was 4) but it was via Waterloo and it clicked with her when she saw the banners etc. I'm so excited :rotfl:

great pre trip report. they will be so excited its great you will be able to surprise them i would so let it slip lol

Hello,
I don't know how you can keep such an exciting secret? I am taking my 2 teenagers and 7 year old and told them as soon as I booked the trip! We are also going in December, 17th to 21st. Our 1st trip during the 'christmas' season. I am so much more excited than all of kids too. :santa:

Great pre-trip!! I'll get mine done as soon as I think of a decent name for it! I had thought of one but someone has just posted a similar type name so I'll have to change it

Sorry :sad1:

Mine will have been and gone by next week so you can use the title again and no one will know :woohoo:

Hello,
I don't know how you can keep such an exciting secret? I am taking my 2 teenagers and 7 year old and told them as soon as I booked the trip! We are also going in December, 17th to 21st. Our 1st trip during the 'christmas' season. I am so much more excited than all of kids too. :santa:

It's not easy lol.. well, it wasn't easy. Initially, I didn't want to tell the kids becoz I didn't want DD to tell her friends etc - I have to take her out of school for 2 days and I wasn't sure how I was going to 'handle' those 2 days (ie sickie or 'legally'). My friends know about the trip too, just not the 'younger generation' lol - I think I'm used to not talking about it in front of them already. I always can't stop smiling though when they see the ad on telly and DD says she wishes that she can go back to DLRP again.

It's not easy lol.. well, it wasn't easy. Initially, I didn't want to tell the kids becoz I didn't want DD to tell her friends etc - I have to take her out of school for 2 days and I wasn't sure how I was going to 'handle' those 2 days (ie sickie or 'legally'). My friends know about the trip too, just not the 'younger generation' lol - I think I'm used to not talking about it in front of them already. I always can't stop smiling though when they see the ad on telly and DD says she wishes that she can go back to DLRP again.

They are going to be so happy when they realise! I have the same problem with schools, not sure how I am going to get around that one either.
Have you been at christmas time before? I am going with my sister and her daughter and grandson. My niece has to keep telling my little 4 year old nephew that we are going 'next week'. The lad is going to get very confused with time spans!! We are going to Seqouia Lodge. What is it like?

Just a little update:: I have just called to upgrade us from Half Board Plus to Half Board Premium:woohoo: . Basically, it's cost us £252 in total for 2 adults, 2 kids for 3 nights. I think that's pretty good going as it cost us quite a bit just for one meal in Cafe Mickey last time. At least, with the Premium vouchers, we'll be able to eat in California Grill if we so wish ;) and I won't be too shocked at the bill at the end lol.

And I have bought fastpasses off ebay too:thumbsup2

Less than a month to go:cheer2:

Just a little update:: I have just called to upgrade us from Half Board Plus to Half Board Premium:woohoo: . Basically, it's cost us £252 in total for 2 adults, 2 kids for 3 nights. I think that's pretty good going as it cost us quite a bit just for one meal in Cafe Mickey last time. At least, with the Premium vouchers, we'll be able to eat in California Grill if we so wish ;) and I won't be too shocked at the bill at the end lol.

And I have bought fastpasses off ebay too:thumbsup2

Less than a month to go:cheer2:

Haha thats why did it too! It stops my bf having a heart attack when we get the bill!:)

HB Prem vouchers seem a bargain these days compared to the rubbish exchange rate!

Have a lovely trip Alice.

Sounds like you've a great trip planned. :thumbsup2

I will look out for you at Mickey's dinner on Saturday night and at the Steakhouse on Sunday - so don't be surprised if some strange woman waves at you. :)

I know you didn't ask for opinion, but anyway........ if you possibly can, try to let the school know your daughter will be away. That way they can make sure she gets to take home all the stuff they will probably have made (there's bound to be at least a Christmas card for you, and usually some homemade decorations as well!). It always made me sad when children unexpectedly missed the last days of Christmas term and ended up leaving all their art and craft in school and missing out on their gift from the teacher as well. :sad1:

Thanks for your advice:) . I will definitely be letting her teacher know (probably on the Monday of that week) that she'll be away. I'm going to write to the school to let them know as well - will do this next week.

Just reminding myself to pack:

Eurostar tickets
Medical cards
DLRP confirmation letter
Temp shareholders' letter
Ebay Fastpasses
Where we're eating & when

Just reminding myself to pack:

Eurostar tickets
Medical cards
DLRP confirmation letter
Temp shareholders' letter
Ebay Fastpasses
Where we're eating & when

And I'm going to remind you to pack your camera and take photos of fooooooooood!!! :teeth:

Bob xoxoxox

And I'm going to remind you to pack your camera and take photos of fooooooooood!!! :teeth:

Bob xoxoxox

You don't have to remind me to do that, Bob ;) :rotfl: Will try to take as many food pics as I can - the hubby doesn't really like it when I do that. Well, not that he doesn't like it but he thinks it's weird I guess lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter