The Running Thread--2024

Thanks! I'll give that a read.

I've mostly carried water + gels (and sometimes cow tales), without any liquid fuel other than the occasional race-day gatorade. But I know I sweat a lot (for example, yesterday on a 95-minute run I drank 1.5L of water and still came back about 1.5 pounds lighter!) so I'm thinking about upping my liquid + electrolyte intake, at least in daylight. Sounds like Tailwind is a good bet.

Concentrated Tailwind is hard to beat. I can put 4 scoops and 5 oz water into a Hammer Nutrition 5oz handheld (link) which provides 400 calories, 1200mg Na, 100g carbs, 350mg K, 56mg Mg, 105mg Ca. Just need to consume enough water on course to justify that consumption for proper absorption.

But there is Skratch Hyper Hydration for those with severe electrolyte imbalance. It should be used sparingly. It doesn't appear on Skratch's website anymore, but is sold on The Feed (link).

Just got my rejection too.

Similar to @MissLiss279, it wouldn't have been my best year to run, but having tried since 2018 unsuccessfully (including attempts for the guaranteed admission virtuals) , it'd be nice for ME to be the one to say no.

Oh well, at least I have Berlin this year.

I am in total shock that I somehow was picked for NYC my first year of trying the lottery. Bummed for all of those who didn't get it; especially those who try every year multiple years in a row =(
I have a friend who got in her first year, entered the lottery the next year, and got in again. That’s just the way it works.
And congratulations!!

Lottery was hard this year.

View attachment 846156
I don't think this is going to get any better. Been looking into some fall races for NYRR and weirdly every big (9+1) race through the fall is sold out already, guessing that we're seeing an increase in people signing up for their nine races ASAP to guarantee a spot for 2025. On top of that, the virtual to in-person path is relatively new, and if I wasn't close to NYC and wanted to run this I'd definitely consider doing it this way.

How do the virtual spots work? Is it a different lottery? Unfortunately, I got thanks for trying, but not this year email yesterday…
It hasn’t been a lottery in the past (I don’t think). First come first serve, and it sells out extremely fast - Or at least last year it did. It’s like registering for runDisney, except probably fewer spots available.

I don't think this is going to get any better. Been looking into some fall races for NYRR and weirdly every big (9+1) race through the fall is sold out already, guessing that we're seeing an increase in people signing up for their nine races ASAP to guarantee a spot for 2025. On top of that, the virtual to in-person path is relatively new, and if I wasn't close to NYC and wanted to run this I'd definitely consider doing it this way.

Yeah I've noticed that their races have been selling out fast. I was casually looking to see if there was a short race I could do in May or June and they're sold out through the summer. I guess everyone is trying to do 9+1.

March 2024 totals
Distance: 185.0km (115mi)
Average pace: 6m39s/km (10:42min/mi)
YTD: 514km on 2024km

Lots of ups and downs this month, including a knee that suddenly started to complain. Physio suspects sitting or sleeping in a bad position 🤷🏻‍♀️

I was overall able to go out and do most of the training runs but not all the speed work or the prescribed length… so next week 10k for time is TBD.

🤞🏻that the health of other members of the family will be good and will allow us to go to StS.

On a bright (like very bright 😂) note, I tested my Kevin’s tutu!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter