The Running Thread -- 2022

November running:
74 miles
10:31 min/mi average pace

I need 61 miles in December to beat my 2021 total, which is very achievable. I'm really happy with this, especially since in Q4 2021 I was training for Dopey and this year there's no marathon on the horizon. Higher, consistent mileage in 2022 feels good!

@Dopey2020 Is this something you’ve had before? I’ve been dealing with the Achilles issue too. Just getting back to short runs this week. I’ve never had any running injuries so now I’m paranoid about every little twinge. Hope yours feels better soon!

I have not been very good at putting my monthly totals up here lately….

November: 130.64 miles
YTD: 1110.65 miles

On the conversation of Chicago/NYC Lotteries & Fundrasing - I have never run Chicago, but I did put my name in the lottery and am excited to hear results next Thursday. It is good to hear the odds are decent. I did get into NYC last year via charity and a what a few people shared I have to agree. First, the charity goal is steep. I worked at it for about 7 months to reach my goal. It did make the race really rewarding to know I had fundraiserd and this was doubly true in that my charity was personally meaningful. But it was really hard! I am an introvert by nature and to fund raise beyond my immediate family and friends was very hard for me. Ultimately I had to reach out to just about any person I interacted with in some compactly - this was challenging for me! I am happy I did it once, but I do not think I would do it again.

Here is a quick funny story though. If you ever watched The Office you will probably remember this scenario. In October I put together a “mile-a-thon” event. Basic idea was over 8 hours I would run as many miles as I could and I asked people to sponsor me per mile mile. So I was talking with a couple colleauges about the event when my boss came by and overheard the conversation. He asked me to put him down for $10. So I said are you sure? And his response was that he thought it was cool what I was doing and that he wanted to support. Then as he was walking away said something like - plus what’s $10…. So it dawns on me that he did not catch that it was a donation per mile. So I went up to him and explained the event more clearly and I could read in his eyes that he didn’t understand at first. He asked how many miles I thought I would do and I said 30-35. Awkward! We renogtiated for a reduced sponsor amount! :)

November 2022
A whopping 39.4 miles

I broke my pinky toe right before W&D and my daughter and I were horribly sick the following week and a half. Tested negative for strep, flu and covid. Got in two short runs between W&D and the Space Coast half. Toe still isn’t healed 100% and is NOT liking faster paces.

Last edited:
November 2022 Training Summary

Running duration = 19:58 hours
Running mileage = 138.7 miles
Average Pace = 8:38 min/mile (about 70 sec/mile slower than marathon PR)
Average HR = 128 (17 bpm less than marathon)
Strength Training = 0:51 hours
Total Training Time = 20:49 hours

Well, after 30 weeks of training it was finally race month at the Madison Marathon. Covered it prior, but it didn't end up being the day I had hoped for. Still not entirely sure what went wrong. But the bright side is that throttling down at Mile 14 and cruising to the 3:26 finish means that recovery has gone quite well. Body is feeling reasonable well, and I'm aiming to pick up training towards Princess and a slew of 10k/HM races in the Spring racing season. G and I also need to get back into the groove with her running since GOTR is finished until March/April. So that'll be fun to get back into that as well. Looking forward to the next training plan and getting back out there with some new twists. Looks like I'm at 2290 miles for the year. I've done 2500+ twice, but I'll likely end up under that in 2022 which is fine by me.

November 2022
A whopping 39.4 miles

I broke my pinky toe right before W&D and my daughter and I were horribly sick the following week and a half. Tested negative for strep, flu and covid. Got in two short runs between W&D and the Space Coast half. Toe still isn’t healed 100% and is NOT liking faster paces.
I hope that you feel better soon. Are you running in Marathon Weekend? If so, which races?

Chicago and NYC……

I got selected twice via the Chicago lottery. I love this race so much except for the lack of porta potties.

NYC lottery I entered once and of course didn’t get in. They used to have their lottery demographic criteria info at one time on the website in the very, very, very fine print, but I think it was taken down a few years ago. I can’t find it anymore. It was very specific - country, state, age, gender, etc.

I am running NYC in 2023. I got in via the Guaranteed Virtual option. I was already signed up for Chicago using my 2020 deferral when they announced they were doing it again. I ran Chicago then ran my virtual 2 weeks after. Not ideal, but I wasn’t sure this would be an option again so I went for it.

November Recap
Runs: 19
Total Distance: 135.1 miles (7.11 average)
Total Duration: 26:34 (1:24 average)

This was my all-time highest mileage month! In fact, it was only my second month >100 miles (after last October, when my average pace was ~2 min/mile shorter). I also had a new weekly record, at 40 miles.

October was a bit of a dud, as I had a week of international travel followed by almost two weeks of Covid, but I'm definitely on the rebound as I head into the final stretch before the WDW marathon.

I just got an email saying I got into the Berlin marathon lottery on my first try. I’m absolutely in shock! I never thought I’d get in the first time. Obviously I’m going to have to find a way to go. Anyone else doing Berlin next year?
I forgot about this and when the drawing was. I have not received an email yet.

Congratulations!!

Uhh… yeah, so I GOT IN!!
Ahhh!! I really didn’t expect that. I’ve never traveled over seas. So, I have to see if I can really work this out!
This was my first entry to Berlin also!
Ah, congrats! I haven’t been out of the country in years and have never been to Germany, but it seems like the kind of opportunity I can’t pass up. Lots to figure out!

@Dopey2020 Is this something you’ve had before? I’ve been dealing with the Achilles issue too. Just getting back to short runs this week. I’ve never had any running injuries so now I’m paranoid about every little twinge. Hope yours feels better soon!
Thanks it seems to be doing better. It’s actually the soleus muscle, right where it attaches to the achilles. I know because it’s the identical strain I had a couple years back. I was stubborn then it cost me three weeks off so this time I decided to rest it before it got worse. I’ll let things get a little sore because they always do but sometimes it’s best to take a couple days off. I think pushing it at wine and dine as well as slacking off a little on stretching things out was just enough to bite me.
Hopefully you are back to 100% soon but remember all the training you’ve done this far. If you need time off you’ll still be ready for race day

Uhh… yeah, so I GOT IN!!
Ahhh!! I really didn’t expect that. I’ve never traveled over seas. So, I have to see if I can really work this out!
This was my first entry to Berlin also!
Congrats and it makes perfect sense that you’d be doing this race because you always run Cool Races. I had 3 friends get rejected today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter