The Running Thread -- 2022

Race Report - Weymouth Woods 50k Trail Race
"I fought the trail and the trail won"

What has gone before
I ran this race last year and had a litany of issues. I forgot my Garmin and my Apple Watch died with 6 miles to go. The course was mismarked, resulting in an ad hoc out and back being added on the fly to make up the distance. It was hot & humid and I wasn't happy with my performance, a personal worst for a 50k. So I decided to run it again thinking it couldn't possibly go any worse. Could it? I'll pause to let that ham-handed foreshadowing sink in and the course to chuckle and ask you to "hold its beer".

Today's race
I remembered my Garmin! Already going better than last year before it even started. It wasn't too hot at the start with a T+D of 134 (Temp 67, Dew Point 67), but the humidity was very high. The course is set up as a 7.75 mile loop through a park in the NC sandhills featuring lots of sand, pine needles, roots and hills. As far as trail racing goes, I wouldn't call it too challenging, but I'm also not a trail runner.

The first lap was largely uneventful, with no marking issues on the course this year. The only issue was a rapidly advancing T+D as the sun came out. On the plus side, the trees largely kept us in shade, but on the downside they also screened off most of the breeze. As I started the 2nd loop, it was rapidly coming apparent that this wasn't going to be a day for a peak performance, but that didn't mean a good one was out of the question. The course started sending warning shots across my bow with the roots grabbing at my toes. I didn't fall, but I kicked one root so hard I knew I'd done damage to my big toe. After the race I found that I'd pretty much torn off the big toenail, with pressure from the sock and shoe combining with the blood to keep it in place. It wasn't even half way.

The third lap started well. I wasn't setting any speed records, but I was walking the hills and running the flats and downhills and ticking off the miles. About two miles into the loop, though, I was running a straightaway and apparently caught my toe on a root. The first indication I had of it was the side of my head slamming into the ground as the point of first contact. I was dazed and fuzzy and all I could do was try to crawl off to the side of the trail to get my wits back. It was probably the closest to being knocked unconscious I've ever been in my sporting career. It was a hard hit. Two guys behind me saw it happen and stopped to check me out. Miraculously, I was fine. No signs of a concussion, although it's very tender and going to bruise.

I was able to get mostly back into my groove, but after a couple of miles I looked down and I had swelling the size of a racquetball expanding out of the top of my knee. I have no memory of hitting my knee during the fall. I was worried that might end my race prematurely but somehow the swelling never caused any discomfort during running or walking. It slowly subsided as the race went on, but is still pretty significantly swollen and turning funny colors as I sit here writing this. Lap 3 wasn't done with me, though. I fell again a little later on, but it was at least a controlled descent this time and I was able to twist so I didn't land on anything tender. At the end of the lap, the race officials were waiting to check me out, having been told about my fall and head impact. I appreciated that.

By the start of the 4th lap the T+D was up near its peak of 158 (Temp 91, Dew Point 67) and my main complaint about the race came to the fore. There's just one aid station at the start/finish line for the entirety of the 7.75 mile course. That meant I was having to ration the liter of fluids I could carry across roughly 8 miles. At those T+Ds, I really need to drink more. After the beating I took in lap 3 I was mentally done with the race and I spent lap 4 mostly walking in an attempt to prevent any further falls or mishaps. I really didn't care about my time at that point and I crossed the finish line 45 minutes slower than last year's personal worst finish. As a parting gift from the course, the walking allowed sand to get into my socks and blister the bottom of both feet to add insult to injury.

Despite all the adversity and feeling like I took a professional beating from the course I'm pretty happy with finishing. This was my 7th ultra and pretty much any I can get through count as positives for me. Ultimately, I set myself up for a lot of the problems I faced with a terrible summer of training along with the fact that I only run trails during races so I'm sure there are techniques and tricks I haven't developed. When you get right down to it, I love road running and dislike trail running. I signed up for this one because the timing gave me something to train for over the summer.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far! Just for fun, here are a couple of pictures showing the "simple" lap layout of the course and an elevation profile for it.

4890A73F-1D1F-43D1-A3B5-350805E77CE6.jpeg

9794789F-D5A9-4C6D-B4BA-694D0B68DB2A.jpeg

Race Report - Weymouth Woods 50k Trail Race
"I fought the trail and the trail won"

What has gone before
I ran this race last year and had a litany of issues. I forgot my Garmin and my Apple Watch died with 6 miles to go. The course was mismarked, resulting in an ad hoc out and back being added on the fly to make up the distance. It was hot & humid and I wasn't happy with my performance, a personal worst for a 50k. So I decided to run it again thinking it couldn't possibly go any worse. Could it? I'll pause to let that ham-handed foreshadowing sink in and the course to chuckle and ask you to "hold its beer".

Today's race
I remembered my Garmin! Already going better than last year before it even started. It wasn't too hot at the start with a T+D of 134 (Temp 67, Dew Point 67), but the humidity was very high. The course is set up as a 7.75 mile loop through a park in the NC sandhills featuring lots of sand, pine needles, roots and hills. As far as trail racing goes, I wouldn't call it too challenging, but I'm also not a trail runner.

The first lap was largely uneventful, with no marking issues on the course this year. The only issue was a rapidly advancing T+D as the sun came out. On the plus side, the trees largely kept us in shade, but on the downside they also screened off most of the breeze. As I started the 2nd loop, it was rapidly coming apparent that this wasn't going to be a day for a peak performance, but that didn't mean a good one was out of the question. The course started sending warning shots across my bow with the roots grabbing at my toes. I didn't fall, but I kicked one root so hard I knew I'd done damage to my big toe. After the race I found that I'd pretty much torn off the big toenail, with pressure from the sock and shoe combining with the blood to keep it in place. It wasn't even half way.

The third lap started well. I wasn't setting any speed records, but I was walking the hills and running the flats and downhills and ticking off the miles. About two miles into the loop, though, I was running a straightaway and apparently caught my toe on a root. The first indication I had of it was the side of my head slamming into the ground as the point of first contact. I was dazed and fuzzy and all I could do was try to crawl off to the side of the trail to get my wits back. It was probably the closest to being knocked unconscious I've ever been in my sporting career. It was a hard hit. Two guys behind me saw it happen and stopped to check me out. Miraculously, I was fine. No signs of a concussion, although it's very tender and going to bruise.

I was able to get mostly back into my groove, but after a couple of miles I looked down and I had swelling the size of a racquetball expanding out of the top of my knee. I have no memory of hitting my knee during the fall. I was worried that might end my race prematurely but somehow the swelling never caused any discomfort during running or walking. It slowly subsided as the race went on, but is still pretty significantly swollen and turning funny colors as I sit here writing this. Lap 3 wasn't done with me, though. I fell again a little later on, but it was at least a controlled descent this time and I was able to twist so I didn't land on anything tender. At the end of the lap, the race officials were waiting to check me out, having been told about my fall and head impact. I appreciated that.

By the start of the 4th lap the T+D was up near its peak of 158 (Temp 91, Dew Point 67) and my main complaint about the race came to the fore. There's just one aid station at the start/finish line for the entirety of the 7.75 mile course. That meant I was having to ration the liter of fluids I could carry across roughly 8 miles. At those T+Ds, I really need to drink more. After the beating I took in lap 3 I was mentally done with the race and I spent lap 4 mostly walking in an attempt to prevent any further falls or mishaps. I really didn't care about my time at that point and I crossed the finish line 45 minutes slower than last year's personal worst finish. As a parting gift from the course, the walking allowed sand to get into my socks and blister the bottom of both feet to add insult to injury.

Despite all the adversity and feeling like I took a professional beating from the course I'm pretty happy with finishing. This was my 7th ultra and pretty much any I can get through count as positives for me. Ultimately, I set myself up for a lot of the problems I faced with a terrible summer of training along with the fact that I only run trails during races so I'm sure there are techniques and tricks I haven't developed. When you get right down to it, I love road running and dislike trail running. I signed up for this one because the timing gave me something to train for over the summer.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far! Just for fun, here are a couple of pictures showing the "simple" lap layout of the course and an elevation profile for it.

View attachment 699584

View attachment 699585
Impressive finish despite everything. Congratulations!

Holy cow @camaker -- I probably would have called it a day after any one of those things! Way to stick it out. I hope you get some much deserved rest and recovery.

August total: 105.7 miles

Was busy this last week so fell behind a bit. Just read through several pages to get caught up. Sorry to hear so many of you have experienced losses or hard times this week. Hugs to all (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Today is my birthday. 42! Went out for my run before my family got up - 4.2 miles to match my age. It was also my kid’s birthday yesterday but they unfortunately caught a stomach bug and spent the whole day on the floor of the bathroom. So we are doing a joint bday celebration today.

August total: 105.7 miles

Was busy this last week so fell behind a bit. Just read through several pages to get caught up. Sorry to hear so many of you have experienced losses or hard times this week. Hugs to all (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Today is my birthday. 42! Went out for my run before my family got up - 4.2 miles to match my age. It was also my kid’s birthday yesterday but they unfortunately caught a stomach bug and spent the whole day on the floor of the bathroom. So we are doing a joint bday celebration today.
I just turned 42 three weeks ago. Let's make it a good year!

Is there a HM or Marathon that is run on the concourse at Cape Canaveral? I thought that was the case for Space Coast but no. I also was remembering a visit of some buildings included in the race package.

For those who ran Space Coast, would you recommend it?

So, I'm currently registered for a 5K (Saturday) & Half Marathon (Sunday) challenge October 15-16-- the Detroit Free Press Marathon Weekend. My friend was supposed to join me but has had to back out. Detroit is like a 3 hour drive from me and the hotel is REALLY expensive. The course is cool (you go over the bridge to Canada and under the tunnel back to the U.S.). I'm trying to decide if I should still do this race or defer (although I'm not convinced I'll want to do it next fall). I think I spent like $140 to register for it. Deferring costs $25. The hotel is like $700 for two nights. Since I'll be on my own, I'm going to be picky about where I stay and am not interested in an Air BnB or anything. I'd want to be at a race hotel so I would be walking with other runners to expo, the race, etc.

I still want to race that weekend, and Columbus has a 5K that Saturday and Half Marathon that Sunday (the Nationwide Children's Marathon Weekend). I did this half in 2017 (?) and wasn't in love with it. I did not do a good job (didn't train, story of my past life) and thought the course was kind of boring. But, if I did that race this year I would not have to get a hotel or travel out of town which is feeling rather appealing. It's expensive ($170 for both races unless I find a discount code) but that's a lot less money than the gas/hotel if I went to Detroit.

Whatever I decide, I have the next two days off of work for fall break. Thoughts?

@camaker , awesome job finishing your race! You may not consider yourself to be a trail runner, but with how intimate you because with that trail, I think you are one now! I hope you heal up quickly.

Trails with hills - which is pretty much all trails - are horrible when the T+D gets high. I've pretty much sworn off races from May through September unless I know they are somewhere where it will be cool! I'm doing a 30K trail race in NC, but it's at the beginning of December! Unlike you, I do much prefer trails over road running.

Thank you all for all the congratulations and well wishes. There are too many to quote! I just wanted to report back in that there were no issues today beyond the normal soreness that comes naturally with any race of that distance. The blisters have probably been the worst part!

Is there a HM or Marathon that is run on the concourse at Cape Canaveral? I thought that was the case for Space Coast but no. I also was remembering a visit of some buildings included in the race package.

For those who ran Space Coast, would you recommend it?
There used to be Rocketman, a 70.3 distance triathlon, that was allowed to have the space center as part of the course. Made for some spectacular races photos in front of the launch buildings. I believe the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse half is currently allowed to use the space center grounds too.

@camaker Congratulations on your perseverance! As some one who was once knocked unconscious by a fall during a training run on a trail, I can only say, it’s good to have a hard head!😉 I’m very glad you are all right and suffering no serious after effects.

Sooo..... any RunDis'ers going to D23 this weekend??

I'll be there Sunday only, as it's part of a broader family trip to SoCal. (We're staying at the hotel in Newport Beach where Bob Moline was discovered by Disney execs, before being hired to write 'Listen to the Land,' 'Golden Dream,' and other EPCOT classics!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter