The Running Thread - 2020

There’s a lovely flat race that I was already planning to do, 5 days before the cutoff. I think I’m training for a 1:06 10k there...
My spring 10K was going to be more muddy trail, I do not see myself shaving 4ish minutes off from last year. I was toying with running the San Jose 10K next weekend while there on business - I could get below the previous POT cut off but not 1:08. {And I am waiting for work to cancel all CA travel now that they have declared a state of emergency.}

So if we go off @DopeyBadger 's previous post, it is similar to eliminating the last POT corral, and now requires a 1:08 or better 10K?

I'm going to hope for a flat 10k with better weather than I ever seem to get.....

I've reached out to Trackshack for further clarification, but at this moment in time I would guess that it's going to be around a 1:08 if the 2:30 HM POT is real. But I hope to have confirmation in the coming days.

My spring 10K was going to be more muddy trail, I do not see myself shaving 4ish minutes off from last year. I was toying with running the San Jose 10K next weekend while there on business - I could get below the previous POT cut off but not 1:08. {And I am waiting for work to cancel all CA travel now that they have declared a state of emergency.}

I was also supposed to be heading to San Jose and as looking forward to warmer weather, but we canceled all travel until further notice. Hoping my July trip will still be a go.

I’m not even going to look at my February totals. I don’t wanna know and I’ll pretend the month never happened. I have been sick, sick, sick, sick, sick. A never ending cold turned into a Sinus infection and bronchitis, a horse stepped on my toes (I’ll be losing at least two nails 🤢) then I was sick again for three days this week with a fever, body aches, sore throat, headache and cough. I had someone doing work in my home that had just flew back from a two week tour of Italy. I was convinced I was gonna die from the Corona virus. My loving family was more concerned over who would inherit my horse than how I was feeling. I’m feeling better now and could probably run a few easy miles. This morning I put on my running shoes, walked in the house and, nope, toes were still in too much pain.

Here‘s our newest addition. She is a 4yo registered Appaloosa named I’m Feelin Tipsy. Her barn name was Desi, but I hated it and renamed her Sky. She has dark dapples on her hindquarters which are hard to see in these photos.

I've reached out to Trackshack for further clarification, but at this moment in time I would guess that it's going to be around a 1:08 if the 2:30 HM POT is real. But I hope to have confirmation in the coming days.

GAH!!! Of COURSE the moment I have a 2:41 Half to use as POT they bump it down!

Knowing that in previous years my POT was in the gray area of :0-:59 seconds of the cutoff I went and plugged times into 4 different equivalency calculators. The slowest 10k for sure was a 1:08:03 which came out to a 2:29:59 half. However a 10k of 1:08:26, 1:08:27, and even 1:08:30 (twice) came out to either 2:30:58 or 2:30:59. If runDisney drops the seconds like they seemingly have done before that would get corral D. If they don’t give @DopeyBadger the exact numbers I would certainly submit any 10k time under 1:08:30 and hope for the best and I’m sure he would like to know the end result to help pinpoint a cutoff.

I’m not even going to look at my February totals. I don’t wanna know and I’ll pretend the month never happened. I have been sick, sick, sick, sick, sick. A never ending cold turned into a Sinus infection and bronchitis, a horse stepped on my toes (I’ll be losing at least two nails 🤢) then I was sick again for three days this week with a fever, body aches, sore throat, headache and cough. I had someone doing work in my home that had just flew back from a two week tour of Italy. I was convinced I was gonna die from the Corona virus. My loving family was more concerned over who would inherit my horse than how I was feeling. I’m feeling better now and could probably run a few easy miles. This morning I put on my running shoes, walked in the house and, nope, toes were still in too much pain.

Here‘s our newest addition. She is a 4yo registered Appaloosa named I’m Feelin Tipsy. Her barn name was Desi, but I hated it and renamed her Sky. She has dark dapples on her hindquarters which are hard to see in these photos.

View attachment 478892

View attachment 478894

What a gorgeous horse! Looks like she likes her new home.

Another Saturday morning sitting around for a few minutes after coffee and eggos and before going out for a run....

Now that the initial rush of "yeah! I'm doing the thing!" has worn off, it can be hard sometimes to get myself to gear up and go out for a run. I have yet to miss one since I've started, though, so knock on wood that I can keep the streak going. I think it really helps that on weekdays I can be "lazy" by using the rowing machine if I don't feel like I have time or if the weather's nasty...it's actually a harder, higher intensity workout, but since I don't have to leave the house and I only do a 15 minute rowing session to substitute for a half hour run, I can trick myself into thinking it's the "lazy" option. When I got the machine I'd originally planned to go one for one on time--half an hour rowing to substitute for half an hour running--but I get tired and winded a lot faster while rowing. As my fitness level increases I may have to revisit that, but for now it seems to be about right. That's what I did on Thursday night, partly because (as mentioned before) I was still just a little bit sore from a bad Tuesday run and wanted to take it easy on my joints, partly because I felt overwhelmed that evening and just didn't want to leave the house. It's nice to have that option.

But now it's the weekend and it's time to check the weather, figure out what I'm wearing, and get going. No substituting for long runs. Yesterday was beautiful weather, so of course today it's cold and dreary. At least it's not snowing and the wind isn't howling through town today.

My kids ended up infecting me with a stomach bug this week, so I finally got back on the wagon today and did three miles on the treadmill followed by a LIIFT4 legs workout. That wasn't a great idea. My legs are like jelly!

For bad runs, I just try to get out of my own head. Give it a day or two and then just do an easy run without timing yourself.

I am stepping up to 10k (started in January) but the terrible English winter weather had made it difficult as it's been gale force winds and rain throughout February. I'm at 8kms and definitely feel ready to go further, so I am praying for some dry, still weather at the weekend. I am hoping to get a spot on the Princess 10k next year, but my first ever 10k race is on April 5th in the UK. I'm hoping it's the start of many races to come and in lots of far flung places.

Im in the UK too Jackie and i know all about those bloody weather patterns. Im in the east midlands and its just been freezing cold and hard to motivate myself to get out and run!!. thankfully it looks like its starting to turn the corner here and fingers crossed for some good weather!. If i wasnt in training for some races i would have quite happily stayed indoors all of February!.

I had a bad run today and I’m a little grumpy about it...
How do you get out of your head after a bad run?
I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Beer?.....not really, since I run in the morning. The logical part of me says: try to understand/analyze why. Sleep? Nutrition? Health? The other logical part of me just says: look at the numbers. One bad run is not unusual taken over the course of a training schedule/chunk of time. It took me a while to believe that, but now it's second nature.

Im in the UK too Jackie and i know all about those bloody weather patterns. Im in the east midlands and its just been freezing cold and hard to motivate myself to get out and run!!. thankfully it looks like its starting to turn the corner here and fingers crossed for some good weather!

This is my first winter in England, and I found it really hard to get out and run in the cold rain and wind! I was very happy today was nice and I could forgo the treadmill for the first time in weeks.
I really hope we're through with all the winter storms!

This is my first winter in England, and I found it really hard to get out and run in the cold rain and wind! I was very happy today was nice and I could forgo the treadmill for the first time in weeks.
I really hope we're through with all the winter storms!
Welcome to the UK.... got a secret for you...... its not just our winter thats cold, wet and miserable!!. When the sun comes out enjoy the 6 days we have of it!!!.

Hope youre enjoying England though!.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I think part of the reason we train is so that we can learn how to endure a bad run when it falls at the worst time possible. On race day. You've put in all the training for this one day and then everything goes sideways on you. All your hopes and dreams vanish in front of you on the very day you were going to make it happen. I've been there. I beat myself up over a bad race for a few days afterwards. I examined it from all angles multiple times. I believe I identified the problems that helped things go sideways. And then I addressed them. I used to tell myself that if I could only run a sub 3 half marathon, then I would know that I could handle the marathon. Well on the race where I was going to crush that sub 3 half marathon, I failed. But I still bested my PR. And applied so many lessons learned from a bad race that helped make it so that the marathon wound up becoming my redemption run.
The logical part of me says: try to understand/analyze why. Sleep? Nutrition? Health? The other logical part of me just says: look at the numbers. One bad run is not unusual taken over the course of a training schedule/chunk of time. It took me a while to believe that, but now it's second nature.
Yep. Bad runs happen to all us, sometimes a few of them even get strung together. But they do not define your running journey. Instead getting back out there again and doing your best to put it behind you defines that journey. And bad runs become distant memories that make race day dreams becoming reality all the sweeter.

Last edited:

Usually it is going out and doing another run as soon as you can meaning you are physically recovered from the bad run. I'd also look into doing a different type of run. If the bad run was a track session do an aerobic run. If it was on the streets do a trail run. If it was on your normal route drive somewhere new and do a run there.

Honestly, I don't think about bad runs much, if at all. Maybe it's the gift of perspective: I've been running long enough to know there will be good runs, bad runs, meh runs, and everything in between, just like anything else in life. It is what it is, I accept what's going on in the moment, and I move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter