The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: No inserts for me. I've tried various things over the years: full-blown doctor-made orthotics, Superfeet, etc. None of them really made anything any better, and possibly made things worse. Once I found Brooks Ghosts (on my 20th pair), my feet were happy.

ATTQOTD: I have used blue PowerStep Pinnacle inserts for a couple of years. I started after developing a bit of PF and the running store recommended them. I think they help but it may all be psychological at this point; at least my PF has generally gone away. I was going to wean myself off them but figured it was not worth the potential flair-up of PF.

ATTQOTD: Yes. I started out in just Dr. Scholl's heel cups in 2014 after fracturing my heel and tibia. I also wore a stability shoe. After Wine and Dine of that year, I actually went to Fit 2 Run in DS and got fitted for an aetrex orthotic insole. I still wear the same style now- the women's train orthotic for medium/high arch (L800W). I have a bit of PF and very high arches and these keep me pain free while running (I still have some PF flare-ups, but they normally conincide with me walking around barefoot too much). I wore these with stability shoes until Feb 2018; I had gotten stronger and was getting too much correction causing pain in my calf, so I switched to a neutral shoe and kept the insoles. My insoles last for about 1000 miles, but like with shoes, that could be different for everyone.

Does anyone else have good races that seemingly come out of nowhere? Had a 5k this past Saturday. Hadn't trained for about two weeks, had eaten terribly for about three days, and forgot to start my running app when I crossed the start line so that I could track pace. So I just went on without it.

Ended up beating my PR by two minutes.

I should ill-prepare more often, I suppose.

QOTD: Lets discuss running inserts for your shoes today! Do you have any sort of insert for your shoes and if so why?

ATTQOTD: I currently do not, but there was a period of about 4-6 weeks I did. I was just trying to get to the starting line was willing to do anything to continue training for a upcoming race. Someone suggested these inserts and they did help me get to the starting line! After that race I took some time off to recover and never had to go back to using them since.

ATTQOTD: I do not and frankly I am not sure what they do to help so looking forward to responses from those that use them.

This is me! lol I use Superfeet. I know I need extra support and I vaguely remember a bunch of stuff they said, but I had just started running, so I didn’t really understand it all.

QOTD: Lets discuss running inserts for your shoes today! Do you have any sort of insert for your shoes and if so why?

I use Superfeet. Blue for training and trail running shoes, and Carbon for the racing shoes. I had a few muscle issues with my foot when I started running and adding the insoles helped. At this point it very well may be placebo effect but if it isn't broken...

ATTQOTD: I use inserts or wear specialized shoes. I have plantar fasciitis in both feet, severe over pronation in my right AND very high arches. I have to have a deep heel cup in any shoe. For running, I found Currex inserts work well for me in combination with a stability shoe. I also wear an ankle compression on my right foot and both on long runs.

My opinion is unless you have foot problems you wouldn’t need inserts.

Has anyone heard or seen @Keels post lately? I've tried getting in touch with her IRL and nothing... starting to get a little concerned.

Nope. I do have custom insoles for my cycling shoes to keep my feet from sliding around and causing me to lose power and efficiency. First time I've ever used insoles or inserts.

Does anyone else have good races that seemingly come out of nowhere? Had a 5k this past Saturday. Hadn't trained for about two weeks, had eaten terribly for about three days, and forgot to start my running app when I crossed the start line so that I could track pace. So I just went on without it.

My 10k PR was set while I was still feeling the effects of pitchers of margaritas, so I fully support this theory.

Attqotd: no I haven’t, which now seems odd to me since I’ve used them with great success in my snowboard boots. I think they are more important in my boots, though, since I size them down, so any comfort I can get is paramount.

ATTQOTD: The first time I went to a running store for shoes they put a cheap pair in the shoes the recommended for me as they were a tiny bit big in the forefoot, but perfect for what I was needing otherwise. Since then, nope. The sales lady at Fleet Feet tried to sell me a $50 pair when I got shoes a couple of shoes ago and pretty much lost interest/less friendly with me when I declined. That was not my local store though, they are great!

ATTQOTD: I get the custom insoles from Road Runner Sports, where I get my shoes. I have high arches, so I'm doing it as hopefully preventative care. I got them when I started running about 5 years ago, so I've never run without custom insoles. I've never had any problems with my feet - don't know for sure that the insoles help, but I figure it's a cheap price to pay if they do. I usually get insoles at about half the frequency that I get shoes (i.e., my insoles last twice as long).

ATTQOTD: I use Enertor comfort inserts in most of my shoes, but not all of them. Mainly the Launches because I like for them to have a little more cushion.

I had that happen once. I had just gotten back from two weeks in Italy where I only ran a few times but had biked just about every day. I cam home on Wednesday and on Saturday ran my first 18:00 5K. It was pre-GPS and I didn't realize I was on that pace until I could see the finish clock. It felt great.

ATTQOTD: I currently do not, but there was a period of about 4-6 weeks I did. I was just trying to get to the starting line was willing to do anything to continue training for a upcoming race. Someone suggested these inserts and they did help me get to the starting line! After that race I took some time off to recover and never had to go back to using them since.

I am interested in this question. My doctor told me last week I could try orthotics to help turn my feet in a bit. His theory is that it might relieve some pressure off my ankles. So I went to the foot and ankle store in the hospital where my appt was. I tried one and I can tell the difference wearing it but nobody can assure me it will work and the lady at the store didn’t know how long they would hold up to running. So I don’t want to spend $60/each of these things if I don’t even know if they will hold up to running. I’m afraid I’ll do more damage wearing these things. Haven’t found any info online about them either as it relates to running. So far people don’t seem to be living inserts on here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter