The Running Thread - 2018

@LSUlakes

Please add:

04 - OldSlowGoofyGuy - Peachtree Road Race 10k (49:59 / NA)

Not sure if that goal is going to happen, but I'll throw it out there to keep me motivated.

Speaking of 10Ks: what kind of taper/rest does everyone do before a 10k? The goal I just tossed out is closer to a PR than a fun run.

@LSUlakes

Please add:

04 - OldSlowGoofyGuy - Peachtree Road Race 10k (49:59 / NA)

Not sure if that goal is going to happen, but I'll throw it out there to keep me motivated.

Speaking of 10Ks: what kind of taper/rest does everyone do before a 10k? The goal I just tossed out is closer to a PR than a fun run.

For me, 5k/10k for time follow the same pattern
3 days before the race: Last speed/interval workout at about 75% of the previous week's number of intervals or distance, but at full pace
2 days before the race: Rest day with stretching
1 day before the race: 2-3 mile easy "shakeout run"

My peak distance for 5k/10k plans is always the week before the race

I've never run in just a sports bra. Self conscious I guess, but maybe I should do it sometime on one of these insanely hot days just to say I've done it. :D

I really don't care what other people wear when they run. You do you. Although if it's a particularly cute running outfit, I may ask you wear you bought it. ;)

Also - Always wear the button!

I thought I was done running for the month. Until I see that I am so close my highest mileage month. So I guess I either ditch work early to run a treadmill mile on my way home, or wake up and run before tomorrow's canoe trip. WHY DIDN'T I LOOK WHILE RUNNING THIS MORNING?! I cut my run short because I needed a bathroom! I would have considered the side of the trail!

I have never had this problem before. It seems a bit crazy to me, tell me it is not?

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD!! Since I mentioned it a few post ago I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on getting one of the celebrating type buttons while at the parks. Do you think to get one the event your celebrating has to fall on the exact date, withing the week, or a longer period of time?

I forgot that I had my birthday button from April on my park backpack and when I went into Epcot on Tuesday, the bag check security guard wished me a Happy Birthday. I said thanks. So, I guess you could say I'm still celebrating my birthday over two months later. :rotfl2:

ETA: Having any type of extra attention, particularly in the form of a song, thrust upon me during a meal is my nightmare. So if I'm out on my birthday the best gift is for people not to acknowledge that it's my birthday.

The band outside of Dawa Bar sang Happy Birthday to me back in April - it was 98 percent I wanted to die, 2 percent this is the coolest thing ever.

Ladies, if you are a Brooks Ghost 10 fan, heads up the 11's are out and the 10's are being discounted or no longer carried in many places.

For those of you that love shoes, how many new pair will you have waiting to go into rotation? I have 2 in my closet and thinking about getting a few more......

Go for the buttons!

We celebrated YDS's 2nd birthday on our May trip even though his birthday was in April. He refused to wear his pin so we ended up just laying it on the table for most of our TS meals. He got a cupcake with a candle at Akershus and some Mickey shaped grey stuff with a candle at BOG. We were thrilled.

We plan to celebrate my birthday on our Sept. trip even though it's a month after my birthday. I think we will tack on celebrating DH's birthday (it is in Sept.) too since it doesn't look like we will be going next Sept. as originally planned. I am thinking that we will wear them separate days so we can each have our own "special" day.

We plan to go for ODS's 10th birthday but will most likely plan the trip for the month prior - part for lower points/less crowds & part for cheaper for him since he'll still technically be 9.

I really do think anything over a month before or after is a little weird but I'm also in agreement with the idea that if you planned it for that reason, then celebrate it!

Ladies, if you are a Brooks Ghost 10 fan, heads up the 11's are out and the 10's are being discounted or no longer carried in many places.

For those of you that love shoes, how many new pair will you have waiting to go into rotation? I have 2 in my closet and thinking about getting a few more......

Well, not a lady, but definitely a Ghost 10 runner :thumbsup2 Thanks for the heads up. Most versions are $20 off on the Brooks website and in stock

The band outside of Dawa Bar sang Happy Birthday to me back in April - it was 98 percent I wanted to die, 2 percent this is the coolest thing ever.

This seems accurate, although for myself I would amend to 98 percent I (want) to die, 2 percent I want everyone's face to melt like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark

ATTQOTD: I've never gotten a button before, but I love seeing them in the parks. We've never planned a trip to Disney specifically for anything and I am not even sure if they had the buttons when I went for my first visit. I say go for it!

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD!! Since I mentioned it a few post ago I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on getting one of the celebrating type buttons while at the parks. Do you think to get one the event your celebrating has to fall on the exact date, withing the week, or a longer period of time?
ATTQOTD: I agree with others, if you are there celebrating something, it shouldn't matter if it is the exact date. It is completely acceptable but it is up to the individual to feel comfortable wearing buttons. I know people who were there on the exact date of their birthday and did not want to wear a button. For me, I would have a tough time wearing a button for something that happens every year like a birthday or anniversary if it didn't at least fall in the time period of the trip. I might feel a little different if it was a 1 time event or milestone like a 50th anniversary or a graduation.

ATTQOTD: I got the newly married button on our first trip to DL about 5 months after the wedding so that should answer how I feel about that. :)

I thought I was done running for the month. Until I see that I am so close my highest mileage month. So I guess I either ditch work early to run a treadmill mile on my way home, or wake up and run before tomorrow's canoe trip. WHY DIDN'T I LOOK WHILE RUNNING THIS MORNING?! I cut my run short because I needed a bathroom! I would have considered the side of the trail!

I have never had this problem before. It seems a bit crazy to me, tell me it is not?
The first year I started running, I did my longest run (14 miles) on Dec 31 ...and then had a sad because I was 5 miles short of 500 for the year and there was just no way I could make my body go out and do 5 more miles.

So what I'm saying is I understand.

ACTUAL RUNNING QUESTION!

I recently switched from running in Brooks to running Nike Flyknit shoes (one pair of Free RN, one pair of Flex RN) ... but these shoelaces are legit the worst I've ever dealt with. They will not stay tied, and general laces (because I got desperate today) really throw off the feel of the shoe.

Any ideas on what to do?

QOTD: What is the warmest temps you have gone out for a run in? What about the coldest? Which would you prefer of the two extremes?

I change my warmest run answer!

IMG_1681.PNG

T+D of 177 today.

For me, 5k/10k for time follow the same pattern
3 days before the race: Last speed/interval workout at about 75% of the previous week's number of intervals or distance, but at full pace
2 days before the race: Rest day with stretching
1 day before the race: 2-3 mile easy "shakeout run"

My peak distance for 5k/10k plans is always the week before the race

@OldSlowGoofyGuy Pretty much ditto! I do my last hard Tues before a Sat.

ACTUAL RUNNING QUESTION!

I recently switched from running in Brooks to running Nike Flyknit shoes (one pair of Free RN, one pair of Flex RN) ... but these shoelaces are legit the worst I've ever dealt with. They will not stay tied, and general laces (because I got desperate today) really throw off the feel of the shoe.

Any ideas on what to do?
I’m not sure how genetic laces throw off the shoe so I may not be so helpful, but Lace locks? Not the elastic lock laces, just the cylinder shaped push mechanism.

ACTUAL RUNNING QUESTION!

Any ideas on what to do?

Take the pair off the Brooks and try those? They might clash, but worth a try. Also guessing you have already tried double knotting them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter