The official Team Not-So-Fast thread

Last season I was training under a @DopeyBadger plan going 5 days a week with bootcamp (functional strength training) twice a week. So five days on, 2 days off. And that worked well, but if I ran short on time, bootcamp was the first thing to go.

I just started a new base building plan last week. I have 6 days a week planned with one day off. I'm trying to add in some additional targeted strength training sessions in addition to the bootcamps. One of the goals of this plan is to lose some excess weight that I put on over the last few months, and the 10 pounds that I never got around to getting off last year. :rolleyes1 But I do like having something planned every day. It helps to keep me motivated.

I need to find a strength training program - any recs? I need something I can watch on YouTube/some other fitness program. I'm willing to pay a subscription for a few months if it's good. If I don't have a plan, I won't workout.
Caroline Girvan's Iron series on Youtube might be a good starting place? I haven't personally done it, but I know several who have. She's not chatty, no "remember to breathe!" comments, and has an accent. For that series, the workouts are like 30min long. I've been meaning to try it out, but everything else keeps getting in the way. I there there might be some assumption that you already have a general idea of the form stuff for lifts, but I'm not 100% sure.

A lot of people like the Peloton workouts (you can get a subscription without needing to own a bike or tread.)

I'm going to be doing a Beachbody/BOD/Bodi (whatever they're calling themselves these days) program this summer because I have done a bunch of them, and know what to expect. I share a subscription/login with my SIL.

I need something I can watch on YouTube/some other fitness program.
I have iFit for my ProForm treadmill but my sub works via the app (phone or smart TV) and has yoga, strength and all kinds of other workouts in it. I usually do one of the workouts my previous trainer gave me, but if I want to mix it up, I pull one up on iFit.

I've been doing Camp Gladiator for years. I started going in-person to the camps but switched to completely virtual since I had a baby. The virtual option is really flexible- you can watch the recorded workouts or do a live one, and you can search for any length of time (60 min, 45 min, 30 min or less) and type of workout, from camp style (mix of cardio & strength) to strength-only to spin to yoga to pilates to.... well, you get the picture.

I'm dropping to 3-4 runs per week over the summer. It's just too hot for more.

I need to find a strength training program - any recs? I need something I can watch on YouTube/some other fitness program. I'm willing to pay a subscription for a few months if it's good. If I don't have a plan, I won't workout.
I like Beachbody streaming, which someone else mentioned. They have a ton of different programs now so that you can choose the level of "intensity" (for want of a better word) and also how much time you want to spend. I also feel like their programs are reasonably well put together in terms of not-crazy exercise moves, safe form, etc.

I run three days a week. Sat long run day, and then Monday and Wednesday are my short run days. I have been really good at consistency of running. I have been working on crosstraining... adding in yoga, walking with hill focus and strength training on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Friday is my off day. I tend to miss one of the cross training days... cause of busy schedules or I am just done after work.

I have iFit for my ProForm treadmill but my sub works via the app (phone or smart TV) and has yoga, strength and all kinds of other workouts in it. I usually do one of the workouts my previous trainer gave me, but if I want to mix it up, I pull one up on iFit.
I have ifit treadmill too. I have put it on my TV to do yoga and strength training. They have a yoga and strength training running specific series that I love have been doing.

Last edited:
I'm in! This is timely for me as I recently started going through my history in Garmin and realized that I've slowed down a bit in the last couple of years. I started running in 2015, trained all of 2016 for my first marathon (Disney of course) and could barely maintain the required pace. I've been running consistently since then and have never been fast enough for a POT, but feel comfortable enough with my pace to not worry about getting swept. I think some weight gain is part of my issue, and I've been training for distance (see below) and not caring about pace. During Covid, when there wasn't much else to do, I ran and ran and got to my version of a PR for a couple of half marathons.

Around July 23, I started running 5 or 6 days a week very consistently--Dopey training. I've kept it up since then, but I'm about to do a Peloton challenge and have a summer of one long run, one short run and 3 rides a week. I'm starting to feel burned out with that many runs a week.

I’m in.

I need running to be an outlet and not a source of stress, and pace comparisons really stress me out.

I registered for a local 10k recently that was to benefit a cause I really care about. But when I realized how small it was, with so few running the 10k, I DNS because I was so afraid to be last. That’s the first time I’ve done that - and it made me so sad, but the thought of racing was really stressing me out.

I’ve also stopped running with my local running group and befriended almost all my Strava followers because of pace, and spending every run thinking about how my pace would be judged.

The runDisney community is the one place I feel comfortable. ❤️

I’ve also stopped running with my local running group and befriended almost all my Strava followers because of pace, and spending every run thinking about how my pace would be judged.

I uninstalled Strava because I felt so crappy seeing all of my friends running 3-5 min/mi faster than me. Thankfully nobody ever said anything negative to me but I still was so afraid of posting there. So I totally understand this.

I'm glad you feel comfortable in the rD community!

This feels like a safe space so I'm gonna overshare.

When I was running actively, I did 3-5x/week, depending on the plan, with 2-3 barre classes per week (my barre class is more cardio than most but also has some strength training). In March 2022 I stopped running (a whole bunch of things went into that, including speed-related things), but even then I was running once a week or so. I joined Orangetheory in July 2022 (for those not familiar with OTF, it's a mixed HIIT strength training/running class) and completely stopped running outside.

I love Disneyland but never got to do the races there, so when they announced runDisney's return to the West (best) Coast, I knew I had to register for something. I decided to start small and register for the 5K. Around September/October 2023 I tried to run outside a few times but I was miserable, so I was still mostly doing my running at Orangetheory (it's anywhere from 15 minutes to 25 minutes of running in the class). Orangetheory introduced a 50-minute treadmill class at the beginning of 2024 so I took that class the week before the 5K and that was the first time I ran over 3 miles.

When we were at Disneyland, we decided that we wanted to do coast to coast. Since then I've been trying (not so successfully) to run outside more, and I've been doing more of the treadmill classes at Orangetheory. If I can get myself to run outside more regularly, I'm probably going to cancel my Orangetheory membership. So then the goal would be run outside 2-3x/week and barre class 3x/week, plus random Peloton classes (I don't have the bike but I go into the NYC studio every few weeks).

tl;dr - Currently running up to 1x/week outside and up to 2x/week in a HIIT/Treadmill class, looking to get back up to 2-3x/week outside soon.

I run 4-5 (max) times a week, with some Peloton strength or cycling classes mixed in. Oddly enough, I really like doing Saturday and Sunday runs together. Feel like it helps me keep up my stamina for multi-day challenges.

I'm dealing with sorta-shin splints right now? I'm not in pain, but my left shin is like - hey! I exist! I'm a bone, here! So I'm debating whether to fully rest for a bit, or walk distances this week, or just carry on and get through whatever this is. But this week is probably gonna be less than my usual outings either way.

I registered for a local 10k recently that was to benefit a cause I really care about. But when I realized how small it was, with so few running the 10k, I DNS because I was so afraid to be last.
I feel this! I moved last summer to an area brand new to me, and I don't know anything about any of the races here. I always look at the size of the field and last year's results to see how many people would potentially finish with or after me. So far I haven't signed up for a single race.

Currently running up to 1x/week outside and up to 2x/week in a HIIT/Treadmill class, looking to get back up to 2-3x/week outside soon.
Way to go! It's so hard to come back after a total break. I will say I do 90% of my training on the treadmill and have finished two Dopeys, so it may not be ideal, but it is better than nothing.

I'm dealing with sorta-shin splints right now?
Ouch! One of the trainers I run with often on iFit has us alternate tip-toe steps with heel steps (toes off the ground) as part of the warm-up. She does maybe 15 seconds of each, going back and forth for a minute or two. She says it is to combat against shin splints, which I've never really had. But maybe some warmup exercises like that would help?

I uninstalled Strava because I felt so crappy seeing all of my friends running 3-5 min/mi faster than me. Thankfully nobody ever said anything negative to me but I still was so afraid of posting there. So I totally understand this.

I'm glad you feel comfortable in the rD community!
I’ve never had Strava and will never have it for exactly that reason! I compare myself enough to people on instagram. 😝

I’m in.

I need running to be an outlet and not a source of stress, and pace comparisons really stress me out.

I registered for a local 10k recently that was to benefit a cause I really care about. But when I realized how small it was, with so few running the 10k, I DNS because I was so afraid to be last. That’s the first time I’ve done that - and it made me so sad, but the thought of racing was really stressing me out.

The runDisney community is the one place I feel comfortable. ❤️
I DNF’ed a half last summer because it was such a small field, I was very quickly running all alone, and there was no crowd support anywhere, so I got very depressed. It was double loop course, so I just skipped the second loop and went home. I did get lapped by the top 5-10 runners before I reached the start area.

Ouch! One of the trainers I run with often on iFit has us alternate tip-toe steps with heel steps (toes off the ground) as part of the warm-up. She does maybe 15 seconds of each, going back and forth for a minute or two. She says it is to combat against shin splints, which I've never really had. But maybe some warmup exercises like that would help?
Yes, thank you!! I've been doing some stretching like this and gonna try again before tomorrow. So weird because it doesn't really hurt, it's just not normal. Tomorrow's another day!

Yes to all the feels about DNS, DNF, don't even bothers. I did my first Spartan the week after Springtime and it was all uphill on a ski mountain. Was very, very close to saying screw it and leaving the course. I ended up trudging forward but being the slowest on course and during the obstacles wasn't a good time. Miles were highly unmagical lol.

I was also dead last finisher at the West Point 10K several years ago. Lapped uphill by several elderly vets and brigades of cadets on their morning runs. Haven't gone back since

I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one who has experienced these feelings and DNS or didn't even register. I do this with any running race or obstacle course race I want to participate in (Spartan, Savage, etc.) I will even do an anxious evaluation of local gym classes. 😟

My sweet spot is four days a week of running, ideally Tues, Wed, Thur and a weekend day. But I've been a mess lately and I'm just trying to get back into some kind of routine. I "ran" yesterday and today and was so slow I should have just walked. Feeling very defeated at the moment, but I know I should cut myself some slack because I haven't run more than 8 miles in a week since DL Half in Jan. Logically I realize that I'm basically starting over and I need to get some easy base training in, but it's so hard to not feel bad about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter