The official Team Not-So-Fast thread

The Expert

Has been to every Disney park in the world
Are you a runner who is not-so-fast? Maybe even ::gasp:: slow?! Consider this your space for discussion, support, venting, commiserating, or whatever you like.

We have two rules:
1. This is a no judgement zone!
2. In the spirit of open discussion but being mindful of negative comparison, when posting about specific times or paces, please post a Trigger Warning and/or put that information in a Spoiler tag. Like this:
This is a spoiler. To post one, write out the message, then select the portion you want to appear behind a spoiler click. Up at the top of the form, click the three dots next to the smiley emoji and click the eyeball with the hash through it. You will see a pop-up with a spot to type in what the spoiler button should say. An entire post can be in spoiler hiding, including links and images, or just a portion. Your choice!

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.54.45 AM.png

I'm not going to be thread police (and I'm not an admin with the ability to edit or remove posts), so this will just be on the honor system.

Last edited:
I thought about putting this in the OP, but should this be a no-pace, no-stats zone in the spirit of inclusivity? Or do we think it helpful to be able to discuss plans, struggles, wins, etc by using actual numbers?

ETA: Resolved. See first post.

Last edited:
I thought about putting this in the OP, but should this be a no-pace, no-stats zone in the spirit of inclusivity? Or do we think it helpful to be able to discuss plans, struggles, wins, etc by using actual numbers?
Great question. In my *very* humble opinion, the second we introduce numbers/stats into a post, it brings a different reaction level to the post. Fast/slow is relative and even unintentionally, it can change the tone/message. Talking about a goal in general should be ok but to define something as fast or slow with an actual number, could make it tough.

I am part of the very slow team.. (which means slower than the -not so fast- team) LOL

I keep saying to myself that is about the time on my feet, the aerobic/endurance benefit and enjoying the courses… that will expand my healthy lifetime

So.. as long as I dont get sweep and still have room for one or two photos… I’m good with the rest of the world passing me by..

Last edited:
I don't think that numbers necessarily need to have a negative connotation to them. Chances are if you are reading and posting on this thread then at least in your own mind, you probably consider yourself on the slow side. I don't do any running so I'm definitely on the slow side. 🐢 :-) But that doesn't mean I don't want to get faster and healthier, and sometimes the easiest way to measure that growth is through numbers. How specific someone wants to be is up to them, but sometimes hearing that someone has improved their pace even by a little can help inspire others to keep going. We're all different individuals who are at different places on our own personal journeys. That's one of the great things about this board. Each one of us has both questions and experience to pass on.

I don't think that numbers necessarily need to have a negative connotation to them. Chances are if you are reading and posting on this thread then at least in your own mind, you probably consider yourself on the slow side.
I agree, but it is also perception. Using an extreme example, someone used to running a 5 minute mile who now runs a 7 minute mile may consider that slow. That then makes some in the group who will never come close to a 7 minute mile self-conscious and perhaps like they are in the wrong group. I want to avoid that. I do agree that despite what I just said, the numbers can be inspirational and also a necessary part of some discussions. I just want to avoid triggers and comparisons that are so easy to fall into.

Maybe we can put discussions of specific numerical paces in a spoiler space so people can read if they want to?
This is a great solution! I love this. Any objections to adding this suggestion to the OP?

I love that this group exists. I condisder myself average boardlining on slow 🤣 but as stated earlier slow is a preception.
On my run today, using nike run club, the coach said something that seemed pertiant to this convo. "The story of a run is not a distance or pace or duration, distance or pace or duration only tells you how far, or fast the story is. But the story of the run is the story of a runner". While pace and numbers are useful meaurements to help determine improvments success can be measured in so many ways.

I am super slow. My body is just not built to get quicker so I just plug along at my own pace. I never quite know what to say when people find out about me doing a half marathon or 10k. They say " Oh, so you are a runner" I usually reply something along the lines of I wouldn't really call it that. More like a slow jogger who moves at the same pace of some quick walkers.

I am doing my first 10k with my DH for Marathon Weekend. I will be getting busting my butt now until then to get into shape to have a semi decent race. DH has no plans to train at all. He asked is he running it on his own or with me. Once he found we are sticking together he said there was no need for him to train.

About 10 years ago when I was really into jogging and had a body that didn't hurt like it does now, my pace was in the 12min range. Now, its not. I can stay under the time limits so I will continue on until I can't. Honestly, after having some health struggles in the last few years where I never thought I'd go back to do any runs, so I am thrilled I am still slow jogging along.

This discussion made me think about my first marathon. No numbers/paces in this.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 2017 as my first marathon. It was an unseasonably hot day, and so the second half of the race was miserable and I ended up having to go much slower than I had wanted. But I finished!

The next weekend, I went to a post-tennis-season party with my husband, and one of his tennis friends was also a runner - and young, tall, and thin. We talked about my marathon. When I mentioned my time, his response was, "It's amazing how people can run for so long!" LOL! I think he meant it in a "good persistence" way, but it definitely didn't come out like that.

This discussion made me think about my first marathon. No numbers/paces in this.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 2017 as my first marathon. It was an unseasonably hot day, and so the second half of the race was miserable and I ended up having to go much slower than I had wanted. But I finished!

The next weekend, I went to a post-tennis-season party with my husband, and one of his tennis friends was also a runner - and young, tall, and thin. We talked about my marathon. When I mentioned my time, his response was, "It's amazing how people can run for so long!" LOL! I think he meant it in a "good persistence" way, but it definitely didn't come out like that.
Yeah, that’s a comment that could definitely be taken either way, depending on the current attitude of the person on the receiving end

I am super slow. My body is just not built to get quicker so I just plug along at my own pace. I never quite know what to say when people find out about me doing a half marathon or 10k. They say " Oh, so you are a runner" I usually reply something along the lines of I wouldn't really call it that. More like a slow jogger who moves at the same pace of some quick walkers.

I am doing my first 10k with my DH for Marathon Weekend. I will be getting busting my butt now until then to get into shape to have a semi decent race. DH has no plans to train at all. He asked is he running it on his own or with me. Once he found we are sticking together he said there was no need for him to train.

About 10 years ago when I was really into jogging and had a body that didn't hurt like it does now, my pace was in the 12min range. Now, its not. I can stay under the time limits so I will continue on until I can't. Honestly, after having some health struggles in the last few years where I never thought I'd go back to do any runs, so I am thrilled I am still slow jogging along.
You will surprise yourself and your husband! As you said you are doing it and got over health struggles!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter