**~~***The Official June 2017 Thread***~~**

I really want to try the "Secret Nachos" at Pecos Bill's" but I'm on a solo trip and it seems a tad excessive for just one. Would anyone care to join me (my treat!) at Pecos Bill's for some nachos?

Friday June 9th - 4:00pm - At Pecos Bill's in Magic Kingdom.

The Secret Nachos
Oh, wow, if we didn't have Epcot plans locked in that day, I'd take you up on that offer!!! I've been DYING to try those!!!!

ok...I'm in need of advice. I'm second guessing what we should do on the first day and I know that you guys will help out. My whole family is just saying "we are ok with whatever you want to do" but the problem is that I don't know what I want to do! So here is my dilemma:

We are driving down on Saturday, 6/17. We will arrive around 3 after an 8-9 hour drive, get settled in the hotel and then head out to a park. As of right now the plan is to go to MK. We have FPs for Splash @ 6, BTMRR @ 7 and Jungle Cruise @ 8. We plan to stick around and stay in the Adventureland/Frontierland area. We have two other full days planned for MK as well so we'll have plenty of time to get all the things done that we want to do. I also plan to watch the new fireworks that night as an intro to our vacation instead of a farewell like Wishes always was. This will make it a late night for our first night.

I am now debating the idea of changing that first day to an evening in EP instead of MK. We only have one full day at EP and it isn't until Thursday so our trip will almost be over by the time we get there and that's hoping that it is a nice weather day. Last trip we never even made it to World Showcase with the boys so we would focus on staying in that area of the park. I would get FPs for Soarin', assuming there are some available for a party of 7 (already have FEA later in the week) and then I'd get the other two for random items that aren't really needed anyway.

So here's the pros and cons to changing to EP from MK

Pros:
  • Earlier night after a long day of driving and plans for an early morning rope drop at AK the next day
  • Alcohol - I could get a drink or two at EP after a long day of driving to unwind which I could not get at MK
  • Slower and more relaxed pace around EP instead of being tired and jumping into thrill rides
  • Extra time in EP that we hadn't previously planned for and no threat of really losing time at MK because we still have plenty there
  • My youngest son's first "big boy" ride at WDW can be Soarin' just like it was for my oldest son
  • Less stress to try to rope drop Test Track and Soarin' later in the week which would definitely end up with a long wait for one of them (we have an FEA FP for our full EP day so standing in line for both of the others on that day would be a must)
  • More ability for my kids to run around and be "free" in EP than in MK after a long day in the car
  • Did I mention I could get a drink...lol!
Cons:
  • There is something magical about beginning your trip by walking into the MK and seeing the castle, we won't be there until Monday if we don't go the first night because our first full day is at AK. We have park hoppers but we've got a Tusker House breakfast ROL package so there's no point in hopping that day.
  • We would start off the trip with Happily Ever After and see these fireworks that are being raved about (I'm still upset about Wishes going away but willing to watch Happily Ever After with an open mind)
  • My youngest son could have his first "big boy" ride on a Disney classic, Splash Mt. if we kept MK
  • We would be able to eat dinner at Columbia Harbor House which is a favorite for my mom and is difficult to fit in on another day
  • I would have to cancel existing FPs and go to book them for EP in the hopes that there is actually a Soarin' available for the evening. Might be a gamble but I could switch back to MK and get all the FPs I have pretty easily I think.
  • Did I mention missing out on MK magic to start off the trip...lol!
So I know that was a lot but that is everything that is going on in my head right now! If you were me, what would you do? Just an FYI, this trip includes 7 people. I don't know our group size would have any influence on your decision. I've not been with a group this large and am working on figuring out how to keep everyone happy (as much as possible). The group includes my stepdad (63), mom (53), brother (15), husband (37), me (33), oldest son (8) and youngest son (5).

Thanks guys! Any advice you have is welcome!

I am now debating the idea of changing that first day to an evening in EP instead of MK. We only have one full day at EP and it isn't until Thursday so our trip will almost be over by the time we get there and that's hoping that it is a nice weather day. Last trip we never even made it to World Showcase with the boys so we would focus on staying in that area of the park. I would get FPs for Soarin', assuming there are some available for a party of 7 (already have FEA later in the week) and then I'd get the other two for random items that aren't really needed anyway.

Old Advice: Flip a coin. Heads MK, Tails EP. You don't even need to look how it falls. As soon as it's in the air you will know what you want.

My opinion, Stick to the plan. I'd never regret starting a WDW vacation in MK.

ok...I'm in need of advice. I'm second guessing what we should do on the first day and I know that you guys will help out. My whole family is just saying "we are ok with whatever you want to do" but the problem is that I don't know what I want to do! So here is my dilemma:

Check now and see if there's any FP+ available in epcot for what you want to do. If so, then switch. If not then don't worry about it! Maybe grab a drink at the resort to enjoy while unpacking!

Check now and see if there's any FP+ available in epcot for what you want to do. If so, then switch. If not then don't worry about it! Maybe grab a drink at the resort to enjoy while unpacking!
I can't check without cancelling the other ones. It won't let me look at the EP options because I'm "out of passes"

EDIT - I saw what I was doing wrong, nevermind.

Last edited:
I can't check without cancelling the other ones. It won't let me look at the EP options because I'm "out of passes"

Oh right, you can't use the modify trick to check a different park. I wish there was some sort of way to do that, but it would probably blow up the app.

Oh right, you can't use the modify trick to check a different park. I wish there was some sort of way to do that, but it would probably blow up the app.
Just found out that you can, it won't cancel your others until you confirm your first one at the new park. But you can play around with different rides one at a time until you know for sure.

We are driving down on Saturday, 6/17. We will arrive around 3 after an 8-9 hour drive, get settled in the hotel and then head out to a park. As of right now the plan is to go to MK. We have FPs for Splash @ 6, BTMRR @ 7 and Jungle Cruise @ 8. We plan to stick around and stay in the Adventureland/Frontierland area. We have two other full days planned for MK as well so we'll have plenty of time to get all the things done that we want to do. I also plan to watch the new fireworks that night as an intro to our vacation instead of a farewell like Wishes always was. This will make it a late night for our first night.

Pros:
  • Earlier night after a long day of driving and plans for an early morning rope drop at AK the next day
  • Alcohol - I could get a drink or two at EP after a long day of driving to unwind which I could not get at MK
  • Slower and more relaxed pace around EP instead of being tired and jumping into thrill rides
  • Extra time in EP that we hadn't previously planned for and no threat of really losing time at MK because we still have plenty there
  • My youngest son's first "big boy" ride at WDW can be Soarin' just like it was for my oldest son
  • Less stress to try to rope drop Test Track and Soarin' later in the week which would definitely end up with a long wait for one of them (we have an FEA FP for our full EP day so standing in line for both of the others on that day would be a must)
  • More ability for my kids to run around and be "free" in EP than in MK after a long day in the car
  • Did I mention I could get a drink...lol!
Cons:
  • There is something magical about beginning your trip by walking into the MK and seeing the castle, we won't be there until Monday if we don't go the first night because our first full day is at AK. We have park hoppers but we've got a Tusker House breakfast ROL package so there's no point in hopping that day.
  • We would start off the trip with Happily Ever After and see these fireworks that are being raved about (I'm still upset about Wishes going away but willing to watch Happily Ever After with an open mind)
  • My youngest son could have his first "big boy" ride on a Disney classic, Splash Mt. if we kept MK
  • We would be able to eat dinner at Columbia Harbor House which is a favorite for my mom and is difficult to fit in on another day
  • I would have to cancel existing FPs and go to book them for EP in the hopes that there is actually a Soarin' available for the evening. Might be a gamble but I could switch back to MK and get all the FPs I have pretty easily I think.
  • Did I mention missing out on MK magic to start off the trip...lol!
So I know that was a lot but that is everything that is going on in my head right now! If you were me, what would you do? Just an FYI, this trip includes 7 people. I don't know our group size would have any influence on your decision. I've not been with a group this large and am working on figuring out how to keep everyone happy (as much as possible). The group includes my stepdad (63), mom (53), brother (15), husband (37), me (33), oldest son (8) and youngest son (5).

Thanks guys! Any advice you have is welcome!

I vote for keeping MK - I LOVE starting our trip there - that we often do just a few hours there after our flight - with no hopes of accomplishing much other than enjoying that we made it - that we are at WDW! We also like to end our trip at MK too - same ideas. :-) But I'm sure that no matter what you do, you'll have a magical time!

What's everyone's plans for Pandora? I'm going to be the parks the 20th-25th.
We're going on our first full day, 6/18. Going to RD and head straight back there. We have FOP fastpasses for that evening so I was thinking of going to do NRJ first since my youngest son can ride it but I'm thinking we might go straight to FOP and ride it twice that day. We have a FP for NRJ on our last day at AK, 6/24 so it'll still get done. With all the attention FOP is getting I think I'll want to ride it more than once. My youngest son won't be able to ride due to height but I'm thinking he'll be so captivated by the area that he won't care if he's not on a ride. And that means we can rider swap and some people could manage to ride 3 times.

I'm seriously excited about it. It's crazy but at first I was a little bummed when I found out that it was going to open before we went because I love AK and don't want it to be over crowded but after learning so much about it and how right Disney seems to have gotten it, I'm really excited now. I am kind of hoping that the crowds just stay in that area and don't bleed into the rest of the park too much.

Both of my boys are very excited about getting their own banshees and I'm looking forward to the strawberry margarita as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter