The *OFFICIAL* HHN Review Thread

Ahh they reopen at 6:30.. Cool... I was planning on leaving Universal at 4:00, heading to City Walk to get something to eat, then re-entering with HHN ticket... I'm sure that is plenty of time... Even if I am back in the park at 7:00... Thanks for the information...

If you're in the park at closing time and have a HHN ticket, you don't have to exit the park. Instead you'll be instructed to wait at one of the stay and scream holding areas. This will help you get a head start on touring the haunted houses before the outside crowds catch up to you.

If you're in the park at closing time and have a HHN ticket, you don't have to exit the park. Instead you'll be instructed to wait at one of the stay and scream holding areas. This will help you get a head start on touring the haunted houses before the outside crowds catch up to you.
Words to live by...words to live by. :thumbsup2

Not really much of an issue or problem with me... We have already decided on where to eat that night, Marguerittaville..

OK...Here's my list of houses from least favorite to favorite. Keep in mind opening night is still a rehearsal and the listing might change over time.

1. Dead Exposure
2. Body Collectors: Collections of the Past
3. Reflections of Fear
4. Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare
5. Creatures!
6. Interstellar Terror
7. The Hallow
8. Doomsday

I'll write a review tomorrow...I'm too tired to fool with it tonight.

OK...Here's my list of houses from least favorite to favorite. Keep in mind opening night is still a rehearsal and the listing might change over time.

1. Dead Exposure
2. Body Collectors: Collections of the Past
3. Reflections of Fear
4. Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare
5. Creatures!
6. Interstellar Terror
7. The Hallow
8. Doomsday

I'll write a review tomorrow...I'm too tired to fool with it tonight.

Interesting! Looking forward to the details tomorrow!

Here's my super quick rankings with a couple notes for each house. Numbers 2-5 are pretty interchangeable, I had a hard time placing those four in order. I will say though, that there were no break though / stand out house this year, but there were no complete duds either.

1. Interstellar Terror- awesome sets, saw both casts and they both offered a number of scares.
2. Scary Tales- Ranked number two because of one particular room and a couple characters in the house that highly amused me. I do think though that many of the actors just need more practice.
3. Creatures!- It was good and had scares, I just wanted it to be campier and filled with more creatures.
4. The Hallow- I don't quite understand the story and premise, but there were definitely some fairly cool scares in this house.
5. Body Collectors- couldn't see much on my only walkthrough, it was very dark. But, I still got a number of scares. I'm getting tired of the random torture houses though, I feel like I've seen it all already before.
6- Dead Exposure- Neat concept, and it was quite trippy. One room was quite amazing, and confused the heck out of me (guess it helped that I was sans glasses due to them being broken in another house).
7- Reflections of Fear- I liked being scared by Mary, I just felt this house lack cohesion.
8- Doomsday- first time through, the actors were totally in it. Second time through, most of them were standing around looking for the easy scare. Bad show, IMO. Also, this house felt too familiar feeling like I walked through much of it before. The finale is interesting, but they need to do more with it.

Here's my review of HHN last night. I agree with Slacking that none of the houses were duds and all were very dark...we had a hard time seeing most of the time. I'm not going to give away too much of the details. More observations at the end:

1. Dead Exposure - I liked this one and seemed to get the most screams. Lots of scares and a good layout...cool effects as well.

2. Body Collectors: Collections of the Past - I was a huge fan of the first BC in 2005 and this one wasn't as good but still up there on my list. Gory sets and lots of scareactors.

3. Reflections of Fear - Good concept and sets. Lots of Marys running around but it's in the Jaws queue which means it's pretty warm in there.

4. Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare - No line for this one...lots of great scenes some pretty funny.

5. Creatures! - Wasn't very impressed with this one. Again...great sets and interiors but I didn't see a lot of creatures running around. Good scares and effects.

6. Interstellar Terror - This one just didn't do much for me. It was like walking around an old set from Aliens. I'll have to do this one again.

7. The Hallow - One of the best in terms of sets and smells but didn't do much for me in the scare department. Very hard to see your way around and I actually followed some people out the wrong door until Em corrected me.

8. Doomsday - Cool sets and a pretty decent line out front. Lots of scareactors but not a lot of scares for me. I'll do this one again though.

Observations I made:

- Stay and Scream area was on Delancey Street outside Finnegan's.
- Boneyard is completed ripped up...nothing going in there for a LONG time.
- Scarezones were pretty weak...not many scareactors and too little fog.
- No 360 show in the lagoon.
- The security people didn't seem too keen on people taking pictures outside of the houses. Em was told not to take pictures outside of The Hallow and we were told not to take pictures of the zombie crew when they were moving into position.
- The queue lines seemed longer this year. The queue for Interstellar Terror was ridiculous! Good thing I had Express.
- LOTS of people but the lines were manageable...for the most part. I'll post a picture of the wait times below.

This was taken around 9:30 last night:

DSC01887.jpg

I don't know if this was just for this weekend but...a lady was selling lanyards in the Stay & Scream area and around the park for $5.00 OR you could get the lanyard AND Express pass that was good after 10pm for $25.00. We got the lanyard but already had an Expass pass for the night. I wish I had waited and I would have stayed later. Anyway...if you are coming down and don't have an Express pass, you might want to wait and see if they are doing the same deal later in the month. It's a great deal! It will help the people who can not do S & S...they will just have to wait for a while. Again...I don't know if this was just for opening weekend but it's worth a shot to wait on the Express passes.

I didn't do any of the shows...that's next time. If anyone has any questions, fire away!

Thanks for reading!

Great Night! Did all the houses by 8pm!

Favourite: Creatures

Least favourite: Doomsday

Biggest Surprise: Interstella Terror - more scary than we thought it would be.

Skoolhouse - creepy, got followed by 'child thing' made me very uneasy.

Asylum in Wonderland - Dean was chased by this weird Mad Hatter.

So glad we went.

Advice: Wait until dark to do Reflections of Fear, a lot of outside light was coming in.

I also went last night for Passholder night. Below are my range from best to worst.

1) Creatures!- It was awesome. The set up and the set was immaculate. I loved the detail of everything even though there could have been more creatures the sounds alone would scare you.

2) Body Collectors - Was very graphic but excellent. The scareactors were awesome scaring you at every angle. The props were so realistic that I regretted going in this after I ate.

3) Interstellar Terror - Very good setup and the scareactors there scared you at every turn. The detail again was excellent.

4) Dead Exposure - All I have to say is weird and very disorienting. Lots of strobes but very cool. Also very dark and couldn't see in front of you so alot of the time people were going the wrong way causing backups. In these types of houses they should have some helpful signs showing you the correct direction.

5) Scary Tales - This is way down on my list because when we went in there at about 5:30 PM there was no one to scare you at all but I loved the detail put into the house and the sounds of haunting fairy tales. When we exited is when we saw the scareactors going into the house. What was the point of letting us in if they were not ready.

6) The Hallow - First house we went into at 5PM. One word - BORING. Did not like this house at all. I didn't understand the story and it was way too dark and again people were getting lost. No scares or sounds. Heard alot of complaints when walking out with other people.

7) Reflections of Fear - Did not have a chance to go in this house because by 10:30 PM it was more than an hour wait. But heard it was excellent.

8) Doomsday - Another house we didn't get a chance to see. It was a 45 min wait at 10:15 PM.

Now for the Scare Zones:

1)The Path of the Wicked - Awesome. Great detail and scare. They really got into scaring everyone. I love the monkeys flying above and the wicked witch on the top of the castle thing. Very good.

2)Streets of Blood - Very creepy and again alot of scare. We loved the girl in the coffin type thing with the rats. Very good.

4) The Skoolhouse - Very good detail. The schoolhouse was awesome and I loved the pumpkins. It could have more actors to scare you walking through though.

5)Fractured Tales - Not bad. It could have more detail but the characters were fun and scary.

6) The Asylum in Wonderland - Very disappointing We thought it was going to be fun and entertaining but it was dull. No Alice or any other characters. The comedian they had for the caterpillar was awful. The detail lacked even though I loved the huge cards and the flamingos gave it a laugh but all and all they could have done better.

7)American Gothic - Very boring. They only scared one side so not everyone got a scare. Could have been better.

Bill and Ted was awesome. The best show so far. It is definitely a must see.

Overall I enjoyed it as for it was very fun but was not impressed with the so called stay and scream area for us passholders. Food and drinks were not at discount prices. They were a rip off in my opinion. The only thing I liked was that we got to see 3 houses before the place opened to the public. I also think the next time they should think of putting all the actors in place before opening the houses. It was very disappointing to go in the first 2 houses and not one scare. The second complaint I had was why was the Express Pass so expensive. I was not going to pay $69.99 for it. It was technically not worth it anyway because most of the houses had 15 mins waits anyway except Reflections and Doomsday (over 60 min wait). I also think they should stick to the sound stages when they do houses because the first 2 were too short and cramped and really didn't appeal to me like the 3 houses in the front of the park in sound stages.

I know this was their first night but it could have been a tad better. I hope by the time everyone goes they get the hang of it.

2 questions - can you eat at finnegans while waiting?

did the houses seem wheelchair accessible? My brother is an electric wheelchair.

Houses can accommodate most wheelchairs. ECVs, however, cannot navigate the pathways. If it's a personal electric wheelchair, then there's a good chance he'll be able to go through and get scared in the process.

On an unrelated note, I met two homies last night. They both received an item that I had managed to acquire just minutes before...

Thanks for the reviews everyone ... :thumbsup2

Can't wait until the 9th!!

Metro - was Delancey Street outside Finnegan's the only S&S area???

Thanks for the reviews!!!

What rides were open during HHN?

2 questions - can you eat at finnegans while waiting?
Most definitely. That's exactly what we did, then moseyed out to the Stay and Scream pen right outside just before they park re-opened (you can stay in Finnegan's too if you prefer to sit, but the air conditioning was making me freeze!).

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually preferred last year's HHN. That's not to say that it wasn't great this year, and with our Frequent Fear passes we plan to be back as much as possible. But nothing grabbed me the way my three '07 favorites (Freddy's house, Psychoscarapy, and Jack's) did.

Well, okay, maybe one did: Dead Exposure. LOVED it! I am big on dark and disorienteding houses with lots of strobes and scareactors, and this one most certain filled the bill. Definitely my top house this year.

I think I'm against the majority here, too, but Creatures was my second favorite. It reminded me of Psychoscarapy in a vague way (walking through the yard past a truck, walking through interior rooms). Granted, they don't have much in the way of actuall creatures, but those redneck Bubbas alone are scary enough! Lots of 'em got me good...I like houses where you get jumped out at a lot.

Bloody Mary is my third fave, and Interstellar Terror was good too. The rest were just kinda meh. I had high hopes for Scary Takes, but it was just okay as were the others. None was really awful, but either did they particularly grab me.

We bought Express and I am very ticked that it was a $69 night vs. $39. We only used it for four houses and didn't even really need it for one of those. This happened to us last year too; USF needs to change the way it calculates which dates are which price. I have no problem paying $69 on the busy nights but it galls me when the money has basically just been thrown away. We were happy the crowd was relatively low tho' because it meant lots of repeat run-throughs of the houses.

The scare zones were good, but I felt like it was overkill...too many are almost as bad as too few because after a while you just get immune. My favorite is the chainsaws (it always is).

We didn't see too much out of control behavior although a couple of times we saw people who'd been collared by the cops. I'm glad USF has no tolerance and a high security presence; I think that's a big reason why the antics are usually under control. I did nearly choke to death on the smoking that was literally everywhere tho', even in the queue lines. I have respiratory issues that are aggrevated by it, and normally I will tell people to knock it off, but when it's a half-drunk biker type that's a bit harder. Even if I managed to get a security person to ask them, it would be rather uncomfortable being next to them for the rest of the line.

But all in all it was a great kickoff and we are looking forward to going back as many times as we can possibly fit in. We did see Rocky Horror (I love Riff's singing), but we still have Bill and Ted to look forward to. We just didn't want to kill too much showtime when the lines were so short.

Went last night for the opening. Like years before it's awesome! Managed to hit 7 out of 8 houses w/o getting an Express. Had a chat with a Scary-Tales scaracter either on break or just starting while going through Hallow, he's cool. Didn't go on Doomsday because i didn't think it's worth seeing (45min) but next time with Express. Reflections of Fear had the 45min wait but it's the events icon so it's a must see lol. Saw the 1st Bill and Ted showing and funny as ever, especially Indy showing up in a scooter and the Predator smoking the Crystal Skull bong.

Metro - was Delancey Street outside Finnegan's the only S&S area???
Well...they told me it was last night except for the AP party of course. I don't know if they are going to add another or not. There weren't many people waiting...maybe 40 or so.

Well...they told me it was last night except for the AP party of course. I don't know if they are going to add another or not. There weren't many people waiting...maybe 40 or so.

Probably because a lot of people were at the AP party. It was nice getting house access right away, but unfortunately, I could barely see anything in either house because of the brightness outside, glad I got that head start though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter