The Official April 2012 Car Rental Thread

Ours went down too but we're still not at the prices PPs mentioned... alas. I'm happy with $316 for ten days though :)

FYI...I booked a minivan with Alamo about 6 weeks ago with the TI1 code when it was still available...great rate with the insurance and gas and lots of fees included. HOWEVER--
I was given a HUGE hassle when I picked up the car. The kiosk made me go to the counter. The counter agent gave me the 3rd degree about how I booked the car, where I got that code, etc. He said it was for Germans booking through some German website. I assured him I did not go to any German website and I booked it thru Alamo.com, logged in as a Alamo Insider and just put in the code. He had to go talk to someone 3 times before he could override the system and enter a bunch of stuff by hand to make the rate come out to match what was on my printed email. It was a real hassle and took forever and I regret using that code. Just my experience, but beware of using the TI1 "Pep Masters" code.

FYI...I booked a minivan with Alamo about 6 weeks ago with the TI1 code when it was still available...great rate with the insurance and gas and lots of fees included. HOWEVER--
I was given a HUGE hassle when I picked up the car. The kiosk made me go to the counter. The counter agent gave me the 3rd degree about how I booked the car, where I got that code, etc. He said it was for Germans booking through some German website. I assured him I did not go to any German website and I booked it thru Alamo.com, logged in as a Alamo Insider and just put in the code. He had to go talk to someone 3 times before he could override the system and enter a bunch of stuff by hand to make the rate come out to match what was on my printed email. It was a real hassle and took forever and I regret using that code. Just my experience, but beware of using the TI1 "Pep Masters" code.

Thanks for this information! I just typed in the other codes in case of a problem.

Yes - I no longer use codes if I can't determine where they came from and I'm not a member of that group. I booked a hotel room once using some code I found on the Internet, wasn't a member, didn't even think about it at the time, and honestly, the guilt just ate me up. I was so worried we'd be caught and charged rack rate! I will never do that again. No amount of savings is worth it to me.

In other news, our Alamo rental just dropped another $30. :cool1:

Yes - I no longer use codes if I can't determine where they came from and I'm not a member of that group. I booked a hotel room once using some code I found on the Internet, wasn't a member, didn't even think about it at the time, and honestly, the guilt just ate me up. I was so worried we'd be caught and charged rack rate! I will never do that again. No amount of savings is worth it to me.

In other news, our Alamo rental just dropped another $30. :cool1:

Smart lady!!! And great about the rate drop.

Holy Cow! I used that code as well and got a great rate, but needed to modify it and it wouldn't let me so I had to cancel the reservation. SOOO glad I did after hearing what you went through!

I am finding NO low rates for our 4/21-4/29 rental at the St. Petersburg airport. Rates haven't dropped even a dollar in the last few months. Now I need to check again and hope for the best I guess.....

Holy Cow! I used that code as well and got a great rate, but needed to modify it and it wouldn't let me so I had to cancel the reservation. SOOO glad I did after hearing what you went through!

I am finding NO low rates for our 4/21-4/29 rental at the St. Petersburg airport. Rates haven't dropped even a dollar in the last few months. Now I need to check again and hope for the best I guess.....

Budget has some good rates at PIE. Using BCD D454300 and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off an intermediate suv is $198 inc taxes after coupon is applied when return vehicle.

Budget has some good rates at PIE. Using BCD D454300 and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off an intermediate suv is $198 inc taxes after coupon is applied when return vehicle.

Wow thanks! I got pretty excited when I read your post but when I tried the search it won't work for me because they won't accept before hours returns. Our flight home leaves at 6:25 so I have to return before the counter opens and Live Chat said nope, no way. Sigh.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciated it!

I'm finding myself in a bit of a quandary with my car rental. Prices are high high high at PIE and we leave in a few days. Has anyone tried Priceline with success?

My real question is whether Priceline "knows" which car companies allow a return (5 am) before the counter opens. Budget does not allow this, Alamo and National do. Will it give me a Budget rental even though I put in the time I need to return it?

Wow thanks! I got pretty excited when I read your post but when I tried the search it won't work for me because they won't accept before hours returns. Our flight home leaves at 6:25 so I have to return before the counter opens and Live Chat said nope, no way. Sigh.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciated it!

I'm suprised they don"t have a dropoff box for early returns especially at the airport. Just a thought but it may be worth a phone call directly to Budget's location at the St. Petersburgh/Clearwater airport.
http://www.fly2pie.com/ground_transportation/rentals_services.asp

I'm suprised they don"t have a dropoff box for early returns especially at the airport. Just a thought but it may be worth a phone call directly to Budget's location at the St. Petersburgh/Clearwater airport.
http://www.fly2pie.com/ground_transportation/rentals_services.asp

Agree. Call the local rental office directly and inquire. I have been given incorrect information numerous times thru the 800 #'s for various car rental companies but my issues have been resolved by speaking directly to the office that I am renting from.

We leave for the World this Thursday. I was so happy that I had our rental car down to $86.50. That was about 2 wks ago. I didn't think it could go any lower until today. I am happy to report our full size car is now down to $63.80.:cool1::lmao:

I know.....amazingly low!!! We leave this Fri 4/27 and I just got standard size car after all taxes/fees for a total of $96! Standard was actually cheaper than compact or economy :confused3 Will still keep checking! That was Alamo with $35 coupon code! Was at $130 last night and I though that was good!

Didn't think it was possible, but car rental with Alamo has dropped even lower since this a.m. Just booked intermediate size car from 4/27-5/3 on costco.com for a grand total of $78.63 :cool1:

I GOT my Alamo intermediate car rental down to $78!!!! Sat to Sat./ $15 is for the 3 hours "overage". For an exact week would have been $63!

WOW, this is just about the lowest ever! 4/28 to 5/5.

We leave in a few hours. As of 10pm last night I got our Alamo full size rental car down to 42.60:cool1::thumbsup2 I am so surprised by this. It will cost more to fill it with gas when we return it.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter