The New and Updated Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ Thread for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very possible. However, Building 2 might be a better option for you if 5 isn't available. But 3 and 4 are right there as well. It is a small resort and there isn't many rooms that are "far out". The only buildings I would not want is 1 and 7.

Thank you so much for your response. :)

Hopefully DH wont have to spend a night in the bar. ;)

We stayed here last month, and I loved it. My room requests were: 1) corner room and 2) refurbished room (in that order). We ended up getting room 7321, which was not a corner room, but was refurbished.
I was actually a little disappointed at first, because this was not only the furthest building, but we were on the third floor, overlooking the utility parking lot, where all of the trucks went to load and unload ...(loudly....all night long...) The first night there, the noise was pretty bad, and I considered asking for a room change. I had payed for a standard view though (only because that was all that was available when I booked), so I figured I got what I payed for and would just have to suck it up. When we got back from MK the next night, I was just getting DS tucked into bed when we heard popping noises outside. I looked out the window only to realize we had a perfect view of the fireworks!! It was wonderful on the nights that DS was too tired to stay in the parks, but still wanted to see fireworks.
I think the trucks may have only been there for the rehabs. I cant be sure though. If the rehabs are done, that lot should be a lot quieter now.

I really loved everything else about this hotel. I loved how small the hotel is. Even on the third floor of building 7, I think we were only about a 3 minute walk. The boat to DTD was great, and so convenient. And DS's favorite part, of course, was the pool!

Question -

I have been lurking on this thread, as we have only stayed here once (our only trip), and will be back at the resort in 19 day :banana:.

Last time we were in Building 5, room 5201, king room, corner, two windows, close to the QS/Bus stop. I would *love* to be in the building again, however, I am concerned that they will be refurbing it at that time.

Is that a correct assumption?

Looking at the map, Building 6 might be nice, but I adored how close we were to everything. One night there I was ill, and DH was able to just hang at the bar (he and the bartender really hit it off) and eat bingets. I know the resort is small, but I think if we were much further out he would have just stayed in the room bored, and *if* I have a bad night again, I dont want to mess up his fun. (he dearly hopes the bartender is still there, his name is Mark. They exchanged gifts before we left)

sorry for being long winded.

Shunasee, Room 5201 was the room we had on our first trip to WDW. As much as we liked it, on the second trip we were assigned a room all the way at the other end of the Building 5, right on the river, and we liked that even more. Dh said he wanted that same room again so I sort of tried for it on our third trip. We ended up in Building 6 right on the river. Dh liked that room as much as he liked the others. Honestly, the "far" end of Building 5 or 6 is not a bad location at all.

I am wondering if someone who is there or going in the next couple weeks can take a picture of the outside doorknob. My son (6) wants to take a door hang tag (the ones that say enter/dnd) and I want to make sure one will fit before I tell him yes or no. Thanks!!

I am wondering if someone who is there or going in the next couple weeks can take a picture of the outside doorknob. My son (6) wants to take a door hang tag (the ones that say enter/dnd) and I want to make sure one will fit before I tell him yes or no. Thanks!!

All the door handles at Disney are lever handles, which is required to be handicapped accessible in places used by the publics. All hotels in the entire country need to be this way to comply with federal law.

There are not door knobs like you see in a regular residence.

Have not had time to post here, but will try to do that after tonight's stop. I started a reply and it got LOST just now.....aarrrgh...hate when that happens.

Also...hubby took a pretty good little video of the newly-refurbished room, so I can email that to A later (if he wishes to make it available as a link).

Gotta hit the road now to our next destination. Overall...LOVED POFQ and have joined the many who say they WILL be back!!!

So the hang tag would work since it is a lever :confused3

When we made one for our wedding/honeymoon trip we used those premade foam ones that have the circular hole in the top. We bought foamy pieces with a wedding cake and letters to spell our names and glued them on it. We just hooked it onto the lever.

Hi Guys! I am new to this thread, just booked my first POFQ trip yesterday and I can't wait!

I have not read all the posts in this thread but, I read quite a few. I'm trying to figure out which rooms are refurbed. I think 7, 5, 6 and 4 are done, is that correct? My trip isn't until 3/28 and I read here that the refurbs should be done by April-so it sounds like I have a good chance of getting a refurbed room?

If anyone can provide the "rumored" timeframe of when each building should be completed that would be really helpful.

I am really excited to check POFQ out, it is my first mod. I can't wait for the boat ride to DTD, beignets, the beautiful walkways, queen beds (hopefully) and great service.

Thanks!!!

I just thought I would write and report that when I called 407 WDISNEY, the CM did let me add a room request to my reservation.

I know there has been a lot of talk on the boards about computer assigning rooms and that CMs were not letting you make room requests but the one that I spoke with did. I also added a Birthday Celebration to my reservation since it wouldn't let me do it online. She didn't say anything about the room request not being a guarantee but she did make a note of it. I figured I would call back in a week to see if they could confirm it since I did the same thing in Dec for building 6 at POP and the CM noted building 9 instead (one of the furthest buildings away).

But the CM I spoke with was very friendly and hopefully noted building 6 for me so we shall see!! I have a Standard room booked but I'm assuming building 6 hold standard rooms??

I just thought I would write and report that when I called 407 WDISNEY, the CM did let me add a room request to my reservation.

I know there has been a lot of talk on the boards about computer assigning rooms and that CMs were not letting you make room requests but the one that I spoke with did. I also added a Birthday Celebration to my reservation since it wouldn't let me do it online. She didn't say anything about the room request not being a guarantee but she did make a note of it. I figured I would call back in a week to see if they could confirm it since I did the same thing in Dec for building 6 at POP and the CM noted building 9 instead (one of the furthest buildings away).

But the CM I spoke with was very friendly and hopefully noted building 6 for me so we shall see!! I have a Standard room booked but I'm assuming building 6 hold standard rooms??

Building 6 does have standard rooms. They normally face the inside streets. Best thing about this building is that it is still close to the lobby and bus stop but there are no parking lot views. The other three sides face the river or an interior courtyard.

Could someone please direct me to pics or video of the refurbed rooms? I've looked and can't seem to locate any.:confused3

Thanks!

Building 6 does have standard rooms. They normally face the inside streets. Best thing about this building is that it is still close to the lobby and bus stop but there are no parking lot views. The other three sides face the river or an interior courtyard.

Thanks for the reply! When I stayed with some friends in 2008, we had a standard room booked (with a CM discount 50% off) and got a room in building 3 that was 3 doors down from the lobby area facing the streets + we could see some of the pool, not the parking lot! We thought for sure it was an upgrade but it was a bottom floor room so we thought maybe that was why but the location was wonderful!!! It was also mid Sept so it could have been an upgrade I guess!?

Checked in on 1/25 and building 4 was done. We were in building 4. Work had begun on building 5 already. They move quick!

The refurbed rooms looked great, although this was our first stay at POFQ. Loved loved the hotel. Will definately stay here again.

Someone asked about the "new" smell. It was there and quite strong. The first night my eyes could feel it but we aired out the room with the door open when we could and then I think we got use to the smell.

We just got home from POFQ today. It was my first trip to Disney. We enjoyed the resort. We started out in river view rooms in building 1 but they were not adjoining like we had asked so on day 2 we asked for them. They moved us to building 7 which was awesome because it was so much nicer to be in the refurb room with the queen beds. We were in 7141 which is a corner river view and 7142. It was also nice since we only paid for riverview on one room and they just accomodated us anyways! I thought the location was great, nice and quiet and we didn't mind the short walk to the bus. We could even cut across the back parking lot rather than go to the lobby for the bus. Really only a few minutes to walk there and we had a 6 year old with us.

Sometimes the shared buses with POR was annoying, mostly when we were tired. But not all the times it was shared, seemed to depend on the time of day. Also the pool heater was broken, but the temperature in the day was cooler this past week anyways so not a lot of swimming was going to be done. They were really going full tilt on building 5 renos. Also for the person that asked, laundry was 2$ wash and 2$ dry. Both say 30 minutes but the dryer ran way longer than that.

I faxed my request 2 weeks prior trip and got my request.

New Refurb room near bus stop.

My DH and I were in room 4140 and my DD and SIL were in 4139 (connecting rooms).

Rooms looked great (last stay at this resort in 2000).

Did not notice any new overwhelming smells of paint.

Room cleaned by 2pm everyday and we received towel animals!

Many hidden Mickeys in room also.

Shared bus with Riverside only to Animal Kingdom late night.

Food court food was good.

Great Moderate resort!

I am going to POFQ in Sept. When can I request my room??? I want to be near the food court and pool (like everyone else) What rooms are the closest???:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter