~The Natural State~......WASHINGTON

olena

<font color=green>Emerald Angel<br><font color=mag
State Fruit

Apple
Washington is the nation's top apple-producing state, so it is appropriate that the apple was named a state symbol in 1989, the centennial year. A favorite fruit around the world, the apple comes in many different colors, sizes and varities. From the beautiful blossoms of spring, to the heavily laden branches in autumn, the apple trees of eastern Washington represent one of the largest industries in the state. The Washington apple is certainly one of the most recognized symbols of the state worldwide.

apple

State Grass

Bluebunch Wheatgrass

Pseudoroegneria spicata (Agropyron spicatum)

Description Grows in large bunches, with stiff, straight flowering stalks; often blue-green.
Flowers: tiny, lacking petals, stamens 3, styles 2, not easily visible; flower clusters flat, arranged in narrow spikes 3 1/2—6” (8—15 cm) long; June—August.
Leaves: long, hairy on upper surface, green or blue-green.
Fruit: a small grain
Height: 20—40” (60—100 cm).
Habitat Dry slopes, plains, open woods.
Range Washington to California, east to Montana, New Mexico, also North and South Dakota.
Discussion A former dominant of the intermountain grasslands, this species is now much diminished in distribution due to competition from Downy Brome and Sagebrush.

wheatgrass

State Insect

Green Darner Dragonfly

Family:
Aeshnidae
Order: Odonata
The green darner is one of 38 species of dragonflies common in the United States and Southern Canada.
Description: Green darners are large, showy dragonflies with silvery iridescent wings. Its body length of 2 ¼" to 3 ½", bulbous compound eyes, emerald green thorax with a stripe of deep garnet running down the middle of its' blue abdomen, make this dragonfly easy to identify.
Behavior: The adults are strong fliers; pattern of movement is fast in a straight line with double backs of "back and forth." Its' wings move in synchronization.
Viewing: Can be seen in early spring through fall. They will rest on vegetation near bodies of water.
Impacts: Rechannelization of rivers, chemical applications, drainage of wetlands, loss of vegetation along lakes, rivers, and streams, and human collection.

dragonfly

I just love the wings. Such a neat pattern!

State Flower

Pacific Rhododendron
Rhododendron macrophyllum

Description Evergreen shrub with large, deep green, leathery leaves and rounded clusters of large, pink, tubular flowers.
Height: 4—10’ (1.2—3 m); less common to 20’ (6 m) nearly treelike.
Leaves: evergreen; alternate but often so closely spaced as to seem whorled; 2 1/2—8” (6—20 cm) long; petioles stout. Leathery, thick, not toothed, oblong to elliptical; dark green and hairless above, paler and sometimes rusty beneath.
Flowers: pink to rose-purple, rarely white, about 1 1/2” (3.8 cm) long, with 5 wavy-margined petals united to form a broadly bell-shaped corolla about 1 1/2” (3.8 cm) long; in rounded clusters up to 6” (15 cm) across; May—June.
Fruit: capsule about 3/4” (2 cm) long.
Habitat Acidic soils in open or shady forest.
Range SW. British Columbia south along coast and in Cascades to central California.
Discussion This is the showiest flowering shrub in the forests of western North America, with flower clusters that nearly rival in size and number those of its cultivated relatives. Pacific Rhododendron is confined to drier forest environments in western Washington, where it is the state flower. These same environments, however, are among the moister ones occurring in northern California, at the southern limit of this shrub’s range. The plant is most abundant in Oregon, where mass displays provide a spectacular show in late spring and early summer.

pacrhod

State Tree

Western Hemlock

Tsuga heterophylla

Description The largest hemlock, with long, slender, often fluted trunk; narrow, conical crown of short, slender, horizontal or slightly drooping branches; and very slender, curved and drooping leader.
Height: 100-150' (30-46 m).
Diameter: 3-4' (0.9-1.2 m).
Needles: evergreen; spreading in 2 rows; 1/4-3/4" (6-19 mm) long. Flat, flexible, rounded at tip, very short-stalked. Shiny dark green above, with 2 broad, whitish bands and indistinct green edges, often with tiny teeth beneath.
Bark: reddish-brown to gray-brown, thick, deeply furrowed into broad, scaly ridges; cut surface of inner bark red.
Twigs: very slender, yellow-brown, finely hairy, rough with peglike bases.
Cones: 3/4-1" (2-2.5 cm) long; elliptical, brown, stalkless; with many rounded, elliptical cone-scales; hanging down at ends of twigs; paired, long-winged seeds.
Habitat Moist, acid soils, especially flats and lower slopes; in dense pure stands and with Sitka Spruce and other conifers.
Range S. Alaska southeast along Pacific Coast to NW. California; also SE. British Columbia south in Rocky Mountains to N. Idaho and NW. Montana; to 2000' (610 m) along coast; to 6000' (1,829 m) inland.
Discussion Western Hemlock is one of the most common trees in the Pacific Northwest, forming vast, dense groves. This important timber species is one of the best pulpwoods and a source of alpha cellulose for making cellophane, rayon yarns, and plastics. Indians of southeastern Alaska used to make coarse bread from the inner bark.

hemlock

Previous Natural States
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Rhode Island
Utah
West Virginia

This is so cool, Olena. :) Washington in the only state, so far, with a state grass, right?

I LOVE the rhodos, but the dragonfly's "bulbous compound eyes" are freaking me out a little bit!! ;) :p :)

Once again, thank you, this is great stuff! :)

I love all of the wonderful information you include in your posts about the different states. Thank you!

Just wait til I do Texas! That will be a good one! California, too! So far, I've compiled info for 20 states. Some are plentiful and some require a little digging. It has been neat though.

I'm glad y'all are enjoying these. I know I have been...:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter